Where are You Going Next Year (Collegiate 2017)

Old college threads.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Where are You Going Next Year (Collegiate 2017)

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

As Matt Jackson posted last year:
Adventure Temple Trail wrote:As Jacob O'Rourke's thread in the high school section reminds me, it's that time of year again where people start to hear back from transfer applications, grad school apps, job offers, landlords, etc. and make plans to go places. Here is a thread in which current college players or members of the college quizbowl community can post where they'll be next. Please post only if you have something definite to share, though that includes things besides "I am going to x and such school for [Degree]"; more general notes on moving to a new metropolitan area as a non-student/non-player/employee interested in continuing to staff or do outreach, etc.
I guess I'll begin by noting that nothing is changing for me.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
vinteuil
Auron

Re: Where are You Going Next Year (Collegiate 2017)

Post by vinteuil »

I'm staying at Yale for a 2-year Master's in organ.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Ideally next year I'll be going up the corporate ladder.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

vinteuil wrote:I'm staying at Yale for a 2-year Master's in orgo.
Fixed that for you.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Cheynem wrote:
vinteuil wrote:I'm staying at Yale for a 2-year Master's in orgo.
Fixed that for you.
nah, that's adam s. fine
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Barring anything sudden, I'll be moving to Chicago. Happy to staff stuff, etc.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

I will be transferring within the University of Tennessee system, but from the Knoxville campus to the Health Science Center (in Memphis) and continue grad school there. Am very curious about my eligibility to play under "Tennessee" or not (if not, it would highly limit my chances of continuing to play).
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

As my signature would suggest, I'll be at Cambridge doing a one-year master's, and will hopefully be able to play the UK circuit as much as possible. EDIT: because I am eligible to do so (thanks Alex and Stephen)
Last edited by Majin Buu Roi on Tue May 09, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Golfinos
Trinity School '13 (inexplicably in charge, 2011-13)
Princeton '17 (inexplicably in charge, 2015-16)
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

For the next two years, I'll be living, teaching, and (fingers crossed!) coaching at St. Anne’s-Belfield School in Charlottesville. The kicker is that I will be doing so as part of a master’s program run out of the UPenn GSE. I have no idea how much time I’ll have to play things (probably not a ton!), nor do I know how exactly we'll deal with the logistics, but Eric and I are working things out and hopefully I can show up at a few tournaments.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Unicolored Jay wrote:I will be transferring within the University of Tennessee system, but from the Knoxville campus to the Health Science Center (in Memphis) and continue grad school there. Am very curious about my eligibility to play under "Tennessee" or not (if not, it would highly limit my chances of continuing to play).
For the good of the order:
NAQT eligibility rules, section C wrote: A squad consists of all players permitted to play on teams representing an eligible institution.

a. To be eligible to represent an institution, a player must have a student affiliation at an eligible institution or a branch or associated campus.
[...]
If a player’s campus does not have an active program, that player may appear for the squad of any of that institution’s branch or associated campuses. If a player exercises this option, per Eligibility Rule 7, the player may only appear for the chosen campus’s squad in subsequent events in the same competition year, except as outlined in Eligibility Rule 8.b.
ACF eligibility rules wrote: Teams may consist of individuals from only one school or institution and may not include non-students or individuals enrolled at other schools.

A. Players at graduate institutions which are affiliated with a state’s university system in general but with no particular undergraduate college may choose to form their own team or to play for any school in the relevant university system. The ACF Eligibility Committee must approve any instance in which such a student plays for another school in the relevant university system.

B. With the exception of the above, teams composed of players from multiple institutions or standalone campuses within the same university system are not allowed.
(Side note: I will be interning around DC over the summer. I'll return to Chicago in the fall to staff and possibly compete, although said competing may or may not happen at Chicago sites.)
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

jasongg17 wrote:As my signature would suggest, I'll be at Cambridge doing a one-year master's, and will hopefully be able to play the UK circuit as much as possible. My eligibility for ACF stuff isn't a lock though, since my degree program may lock me into a research degree which might keep me from taking (enough) classes for credit.
You should contact ACF if you think you're in a unique situation, but in general, as long as your university recognizes you as being in a degree program and making academic progress towards that degree, you are ACF-eligible. That is, eligibility for students in degree programs is not tied to taking classes. (See ACF Eligibility Rule 4.B.)

This is different from the rules for students meeting ACF's definition of undergraduates (Rule 4.A) and for all other students (Rule 4.C), both of which do explicitly include taking (a) class(es) as part of their eligibility requirement.
Last edited by t-bar on Tue May 09, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

I am finished with school and will return to the Bay Area for at least the duration of the summer and probably indefinitely.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I moved to Chicago about two months ago for work. No plans to go back to school for the moment, but I'll be around to staff tournaments and play open things.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I'm graduating this weekend from UIUC and at some point over the summer will be moving to the Philadelphia area to take an as-of-yet unknown job once someone offers me one. If that job ends up being at a university, I'm considering the possibility of utilizing employee tuition benefits to join a degree program and potentially play a handful of tournaments. Regardless, I'm hoping to be able to staff tournaments in the greater Philly metro as my work schedule allows.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

In the fall I'll be (assuming my student visa goes through and the cost is in line with what I budgeted) working on a "big data and business analytics" project at the University of Zurich. I'm not sure if I qualify as a Zurich student under ACF or NAQT rules because it is similar to a study abroad but I'll be earning credits at Zurich. Hopefully, if the UK circuit would let me play, I'll be able to fly into the UK and play a couple of tournament either solo as Michigan State or Zurich or on a team at an open tournament.

I'll still be president of the MSU Academic Competition Club but I won't be TDing any of tournaments in the fall :lol: . Even when I'm abroad, I can take emails concerning our club and I have a leadership team set up to do a lot of the day to day stuff.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Silverman
Lulu

Post by Silverman »

I'll be living and working in Arlington, VA, and will gladly staff things in the DC metro area, as well as play any and all trash tournaments.
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Silverman wrote:I'll be living and working in Arlington, VA, and will gladly staff things in the DC metro area, as well as play any and all trash tournaments.
Welcome to the area, dude! I'll probably be moving to Arlington in August, as well.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Silverman
Lulu

Post by Silverman »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:
Silverman wrote:I'll be living and working in Arlington, VA, and will gladly staff things in the DC metro area, as well as play any and all trash tournaments.
Welcome to the area, dude! I'll probably be moving to Arlington in August, as well.
:party:
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17
Belgium
Lulu

Post by Belgium »

Progcon wrote:Hopefully, if the UK circuit would let me play, I'll be able to fly into the UK and play a couple of tournament either solo as Michigan State or Zurich or on a team at an open tournament.
We collectively let Jay Misuk play solo for McMaster at the UK mirror of ACF Fall 2015, so I don't see why this would be a problem. Getting more countries involved in quizbowl is A Good Thing.
Thomas De Bock - Oxford Brookes University
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

tommykl wrote:
Progcon wrote:Hopefully, if the UK circuit would let me play, I'll be able to fly into the UK and play a couple of tournament either solo as Michigan State or Zurich or on a team at an open tournament.
We collectively let Jay Misuk play solo for McMaster at the UK mirror of ACF Fall 2015, so I don't see why this would be a problem. Getting more countries involved in quizbowl is A Good Thing.
Fantastic. I definitely want to attend a tournament or two in the UK. I lived in Oxford a bit last summer and that was a great experience, so I'm looking forward to going back to a college town.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

In about a month point five, I'll be moving to Syracuse, NY where my wife found a professorship. Thrilled for everything about the move, but the area seems to lack quiz bowl, at least collegiately. If anyone at Syracuse ever starts a team, I'll crash practices, but this might be the end of my utility as an available staffer.
Rachel
UChicago 09
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

I am relocating to New Orleans next month after accepting a position at another university. I will also continue to live in San Diego during the summer months. As always, I am generally available to staff local tournaments.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

Will be taking the light of Quizbowl to the far north as I go to St Andrews for a 1 year Masters.
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

I'm (tentatively) expected to move to Charlottesville for my job from October through April or so. Virginia Ruiz would be with me, of course.

I reckon we'd be able to staff things at UVA or VCU or wherever nearby on weekends that we have open.
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Georgia Tech '26 (anticipated)
ex-Writer, NAQT
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

sonstige wrote:I'm (tentatively) expected to move to Charlottesville for my job from October through April or so. Virginia Ruiz would be with me, of course.

I reckon we'd be able to staff things at UVA or VCU or wherever nearby on weekends that we have open.
Kouign Amann wrote:For the next two years, I'll be living, teaching, and (fingers crossed!) coaching at St. Anne’s-Belfield School in Charlottesville. The kicker is that I will be doing so as part of a master’s program run out of the UPenn GSE. I have no idea how much time I’ll have to play things (probably not a ton!), nor do I know how exactly we'll deal with the logistics, but Eric and I are working things out and hopefully I can show up at a few tournaments.
These are both great developments. Depending on when you all (and Nick Collins, who'll also be joining us in Charlottesville) are free, we can very conceivably set up summer practices in mid-July. Keep an eye out!
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

I've relocated to White Plains, NY, so I may be available to staff or play the occasional NYC-metro event, depending on childcare obligations.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Just got a new job in Los Angeles, so I'm moving out that way. I'd be happy to staff things in SoCal when UCLA doesn't have a home game in football or basketball.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

Neglected to let anyone other than NAQT know, but I'll be moving to the Chicago area to work on my chem PhD at Northwestern. I don't anticipate playing again, but I'd be happy to help staff tournaments in the area, time permitting.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

I'm leaving academia and going to SUNY Binghamton for the next 2 years or so, doing a Masters in accounting. I guess this means I will technically be eligible to play tournaments, though I don't know how much of that I'll actually do (especially since there doesn't seem to be a club there). If anyone at Binghamton who plays quizbowl is reading this…hit me up. If any Central New York tournament hosts are reading this, I'd be happy to moderate for you sometime.
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Louis XIV and Twenty Million Henchmen wrote:I'm leaving academia and going to SUNY Binghamton for the next 2 years or so, doing a Masters in accounting. I guess this means I will technically be eligible to play tournaments, though I don't know how much of that I'll actually do (especially since there doesn't seem to be a club there). If anyone at Binghamton who plays quizbowl is reading this…hit me up. If any Central New York tournament hosts are reading this, I'd be happy to moderate for you sometime.
This makes me curious what the eligibility rules would be for people in a university system, but not affiliated with a "traditional" campus with undergrads (i.e. UC Hastings Law, USCF Med school, etc). The reason I bring this up is because I know Richard Yu is at medical school at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, which doesn't have any affiliated undergraduate campus or anything like that, nor a functioning quizbowl club. The only thread I can recall on the subject is this one, where Mike seems to imply that Kenneth Lan would "legally" be allowed to play.

The ACF eligibility rules state the following:
5. In some circumstances, the editors of a collegiate ACF tournament will announce their own policy on when and how mixed teams or teams including non-students may participate. In the absence of any such announcement, teams may consist of individuals from only one school and may not include individuals enrolled at other schools or nonstudents.
So, I suppose editors could allow special dispensation for a "SUNY" team. I'd certainly be personally inclined to allow this for regular-season "closed" events like Penn Bowl. Not as sure about something like Regionals or Nationals (and you'd have to submit a packet anyways, which is a bit of a hassle).
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:This makes me curious what the eligibility rules would be for people in a university system, but not affiliated with a "traditional" campus with undergrads (i.e. UC Hastings Law, USCF Med school, etc). The reason I bring this up is because I know Richard Yu is at medical school at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, which doesn't have any affiliated undergraduate campus or anything like that, nor a functioning quizbowl club. The only thread I can recall on the subject is this one, where Mike seems to imply that Kenneth Lan would "legally" be allowed to play.

The ACF eligibility rules state the following:
5. In some circumstances, the editors of a collegiate ACF tournament will announce their own policy on when and how mixed teams or teams including non-students may participate. In the absence of any such announcement, teams may consist of individuals from only one school and may not include individuals enrolled at other schools or nonstudents.
So, I suppose editors could allow special dispensation for a "SUNY" team. I'd certainly be personally inclined to allow this for regular-season "closed" events like Penn Bowl. Not as sure about something like Regionals or Nationals (and you'd have to submit a packet anyways, which is a bit of a hassle).
This is a quote from an old version of the ACF rules. The current eligibility rules may be found at https://acf-quizbowl.com/official-acf-e ... ity-rules/, and state the following:
[10) ]A. Players at graduate institutions which are affiliated with a state’s university system in general but with no particular undergraduate college may choose to form their own team or to play for any school in the relevant university system. The ACF Eligibility Committee must approve any instance in which such a student plays for another school in the relevant university system.
For this specific situation, if SUNY Downstate Medical Center has no "particular undergraduate college," then a student enrolled there could request permission from the ACF eligibility committee to play for any SUNY school. That permission would extend to ACF Fall, Regionals, and Nationals--hosts of other tournaments may choose to follow a similar criterion, but you should probably ask them about it directly.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Selene and I have moved to Columbus, Ohio. I'm hoping I'll be able to help out sometimes at tournaments in the area (or maybe even play if there's an open event).

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Late to the party on this, but I have returned to Stanford to finish undergraduate work after taking roughly 1.5 years off.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)