team-ranking policy for the 2020 SCT and ICT

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

team-ranking policy for the 2020 SCT and ICT

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT has changed its ranking policy for CC SCT, SCT, CCCT, and ICT. For these tournaments, the results of games against non-common opponents will be discarded at the start of any new phase involving a rebracketing.

The format for the 2020 ICT has not been finalized yet; in particular, the format for Division I might change. For the 2020 Division II ICT, the format will probably once again be 4 prelim brackets of 8 teams, followed by 4 playoff brackets of 8 teams. Thus, teams will:
1) play 7 prelim games, then be placed into playoff brackets based on the results of those games
2) retain one prelim game result (against the prelim team that goes to the same playoff bracket), and discard the rest
3) play 6 playoff games, then be ranked based on 7 matches (1 prelim game plus 6 playoff games)

Note that if Team A beats Team B during the prelims, B beats A during a tiebreaker match at the end of the prelims, and A and B wind up in the same playoff bracket, then the prelim game will carry over, not the tiebreaker result—that is, A will carry over a win, and B will carry over a loss.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

CPiGuy
Tidus

Re: team-ranking policy for the 2020 SCT and ICT

Post by CPiGuy »

This is a great change. Thanks!

One question: Suppose you have a format like the 2017 Great Lakes SCT, where eight teams play a round-robin, and then the top 4 teams and the bottom 4 teams split into pools and play an additional round-robin. With such a format, would the top bracket's games against the bottom teams carry over, because all of the teams played the same schedule, or would they not?

I don't have any strong opinions on this case either way (I know, it may come as a surprise that I lack strong opinions...), but I want to make sure it's clear because I expect our SCT site will have a small D1 field and such a format might be necessary.
Conor Thompson (he/him)
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: team-ranking policy for the 2020 SCT and ICT

Post by Important Bird Area »

In that case (the listed formats for 5, 8, or 9 teams here), all of the games would carry over (because the initial setup was a full round-robin for the entire field).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred