ICT Side Events

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

ICT Side Events

Post by Mike Bentley »

Are there any ICT side events planned for this year?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cheynem
Sin

Re: ICT Side Events

Post by Cheynem »

I think Jay said "GHOTI II" would be ready for ICT.

I wouldn't be opposed to some guerrilla shenanigans.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams
Wakka

Post by Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams »

Proteinbowl 3 is probably happening at ICT.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
UMN (dual enrollment) '19
Cornell ???
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Iamteehee wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:20 pm Proteinbowl 3 is probably happening at ICT.
:party:
Eleanor
they/she
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Should we finally consider using the five rounds of 20-tossup packets of film questions by former Valencia player Sean Platzer? I reckon that would only take 90 minutes or so if run as a shootout, a little longer with duo teams or something. Whatever! It's done and ready if people think that would be interesting.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yes, I would like that.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

ValenciaQBowl wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:55 pm Should we finally consider using the five rounds of 20-tossup packets of film questions by former Valencia player Sean Platzer? I reckon that would only take 90 minutes or so if run as a shootout, a little longer with duo teams or something. Whatever! It's done and ready if people think that would be interesting.
I will happily be a buzzer rock next to Harrison Whitaker
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Cheynem wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:01 pm I think Jay said "GHOTI II" would be ready for ICT.
I am extremely interested in this; if it's going to happen Friday night (as opposed to Saturday night), could that be established so that I can make the appropriate travel plans?
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Yeah, that's a thing
Lulu

Post by Yeah, that's a thing »

ValenciaQBowl wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:55 pm Should we finally consider using the five rounds of 20-tossup packets of film questions by former Valencia player Sean Platzer? I reckon that would only take 90 minutes or so if run as a shootout, a little longer with duo teams or something. Whatever! It's done and ready if people think that would be interesting.
I support this idea!
Connor Teevens
Detroit Catholic Central '11
Michigan State University '15
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

If enough folks want to play Sean's "Questions on Cinema," I'd be open to doing it either Friday night (at 8:30 or later) or Saturday after the ICT is over. If it's that Saturday, however, it would probably be after a dinner break, as I hope/expect to have my Valencia team with me and to want to feed them first.

Also, let me say a little about these five rounds: Sean wrote them for fun, and I helped him revise a little and added a handful of questions. He didn't begin with a specific distribution, but I just skimmed them again and would say about 12-14 in any round could be classified as asking about mainstream American movies of the last 25 years, so you don't have to be a cineaste to get some answers. The other 6-8 cover European/American art or indie film, and each round has at least one question on a critic or composer.

And though there are no repeats, some ideas could appear in more than one question. For instance, if there were a toss-up on a character from the Harry Potter movies, there might also later be a toss-up on a specific Harry Potter movie title. However, the good news is that there is NO HARRY POTTER CONTENT!

Anyway, if we run this, I'm flexible in working with other side event folks to fit it in where it works best.
Chris Borglum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Unless there's not a ton of people for the film thing (which, depending on time and other events being run, might be true), I'd prefer like doubles or small teams (which, yes, I know is hard to do if there's only 5 packets).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

TaylorH
Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

Is this the thing that was read at Valencia about two years ago?
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Yup! You can read another room if we break it out!
Chris Borglum
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Purdue is writing MVP with the intentions of having it ready by ICT. Packet is still heavily under development, but that could be another option.
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Too sweet, bruh.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

It's Drew wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:26 pm Purdue is writing MVP with the intentions of having it ready by ICT. Packet is still heavily under development, but that could be another option.
yes please
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

settlej wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:51 pm
Iamteehee wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:20 pm Proteinbowl 3 is probably happening at ICT.
Not to be a bother but can we get an update on this? I would like to book time off work sooner than later if this is Friday night.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams
Wakka

Post by Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams »

Benin Rebirth Party wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:18 pm
settlej wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:51 pm
Not to be a bother but can we get an update on this? I would like to book time off work sooner than later if this is Friday night.
I'll get a post up by tomorrow night. PROTEINBOWL 3 @ ICT is almost certainly going to be Friday night, though.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
UMN (dual enrollment) '19
Cornell ???
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I might think that something like "a couple rooms of shootout" for Borglum's film packets could also happen Friday night, leaving Saturday for the Purdue event.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I think that's a good plan, Mike. I'd rather find a space for those interested in the film questions and just read to all rather than worrying about teams and a schedule. I'll be with my own Valencia team seeing Chicago sights during the day, so maybe starting around 9 pm or something would be good. I'll charge $5/person so Sean can get a little something for his efforts. When I'm not busy catching up on grading now that CCCT is over, I'll put up a sign-up sheet or something.

PS--If we get bigger than 12-15 I can probably get one of my players to read and create a second room and then do some ladder movement between rounds like we've done for film side events at CO. I'm open to ideas about how to best run it (especially those that don't require much formatting effort on my part).
Chris Borglum