Postseason poll

Old college threads.
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Postseason poll

Post by 1.82 »

Since the announcement has come that ACF Nationals has been canceled, now is the time to vote. This is the announcement of the postseason poll for collegiate teams. Rank your top 25 in order.

Feel free to discuss teams here, but please do not post ballots in the thread. Do not vote for high school teams. You can vote for B teams. Ballots must contain 25 teams. E-mail them to me at [email protected] by midnight PDT on Sunday, May 24.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Re: Postseason poll

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

Is there a particular reason ballots should not be posted here, or am I misreading the OP?

EDIT: I ask because I personally find ballots with explanations attached to them to be helpful and interesting discussion points
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
Rikku

Post by 1.82 »

Illinois Admin wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:53 pm Is there a particular reason ballots should not be posted here, or am I misreading the OP?

EDIT: I ask because I personally find ballots with explanations attached to them to be helpful and interesting discussion points
That's a good question. This rule has generally been applied to college polls for years so as to avoid bandwagon voting; if an early poster in the thread posits that Maryland B is #15 and Dickety Doo U is #14, that can lead to other voters doing the same without really thinking about it. Obviously avoiding this effect completely is at cross purposes with encouraging discussion, which is clearly useful, so this is an imperfect solution. Please do feel free to provide reasoning as you see fit.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, I think it's perfectly fine to say "hey, you might have forgotten about, I dunno, Florida, but they're real good and here's some stats." I think in general the TEAM poll falls less victim to oodles of self (or team)-promoting posts about how good they or their rowdy friends are.

What is dangerous about posting a whole ballot is that I think lots of people have strong ideas about who is on top of these ballots and maybe even teams they want to rank on the bottom, but the middle is frequently a mess, so as Naveed points out, if one poster kicks things off with a top 25, it's tempting to just take that as a template, meaning that while the top may be different, frequently the middle and end is similar, so if the first poster ranks Texas at, I dunno, 13 (I have no idea if that is accurate or not), subsequent posters subconsciously or consciously work with that as an assumption.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

If it helps, you can find team BPAs for Penn Bowl and Fall Open by following the links below:

Penn Bowl

Fall Open
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Harvard A
While Harvard's teams have changed roster many times this year, I'd like to think Harvard's "real" A team would have either been: Jason Golfinos / Michael Yue / Thomas Gioia / Kelvin Li (which was the EFT team), or sub out Thomas for Laurence Li or Ricky Li.

Kelvin is one of the best active science players out there, and is basically a lockdown in biochem/chem.

Michael is probably best known as a auditory arts player (and a great one at that), but he also has great coverage of literature, film, and physics.

Thomas is Harvard's best visual arts player, and knows a ton of literature (especially poetry) and philosophy as well.

Everyone knows about Jason; yeah, he's really good. His bread and butter is classical/world history, Islam, musicals, and all types of thought, but will constantly surprise you with buzzes in literature, science, and VFA.

Harvard B
People probably know a fair bit about the A team, so I'd like to spend a bit more time on the rest of the Harvard roster. If we assume the EFT team to have been the "real" Harvard A, that means B could be composed of: Jon Suh (me) / Ricky Li / Laurence Li / Jonchee Kao, or maybe Chris Gilmer-Hill or Luke Minton for Jonchee.

Jonchee is a known quantity, having been a strong player for Berkeley in recent years; he scaled back his playing this year, but played well at Regs and SCT, and had a clutch 5-0 performance against Jason to clinch a victory.

Laurence, formerly of Yale, played well at Regs, SCT, TO, and MWT. I think his SCT stats are especially noteworthy, given that he split much of history with Jason.

Ricky has improved a ton this year, and I would argue he is one of the most underrated literature / math players out there. He did very well at EFT, Regs, SCT, MWT, SUN, and WORKSHOP. He has one year left of undergrad and then I'm sure will continue to improve during his grad school years. Watch out for him.

I probably played my best at either EFT or Penn Bowl. I also played Regs, SCT, WORKSHOP, MWT, and SUN.

Luke Minton was the highest scorer on our ICT team last year. As far as I know, he did not study at all in college, and all of his knowledge comes Academic Decathlon or real life. He's probably our most maverick player, able to get buzzes in literally any category. Due to a variety of reasons, he did not play in any tournaments this year, but I thought it was worth mentioning him anyway.

Chris Gilmer-Hill (or just CGH) is also known for his eclectic knowledge base, and much like Luke, can buzz on almost any category. He did very well at Nats last year and got the decisive buzz to win the D2 championship. He put up very solid stats all throughout this season: EFT, MWT, Regs, SCT. Don't let his WORKSHOP stats fool you, as he was shadowed heavily by Jason.

Harvard C and others
Newcomer Mazin Omer boasts deep trash and world literature knowledge, and can get buzzes across bio/chem, jazz, and visual art. Mazin played especially well at EFT, MWT, and SCT D2, and also was a solid contributor at Regs.

Justin Duffy is undoubtedly the best myth player at Harvard and probably one of the most underrated myth players out there. He's also able to get good buzzes across the sciences. He played well at EFT, Regs, and SCT.

Brooke Martin is the best non-sports trash player at Harvard (Mazin knows more sports but Brooke's other trash knowledge is insanely deep), and played very well at MWT and this year's SCT.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
Rikku

Post by 1.82 »

The poll is closing soon. I have received some votes (thanks to all who have voted so far), but I would love to have more, so be sure to e-mail me your top 25. Anyone can vote.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Rikku

Post by 1.82 »

The results of the final poll for the 2019–20 collegiate quizbowl season are as follows. Thanks to our voters: Taylor Harvey, Ryan Humphrey, Mathew Lehmann, Bradley McLain, Ben Miller, and Jacob Reed.

#1: University of Chicago, 150 points (ranked #1 on all ballots)
#2: Columbia University, 144 points (ranked #2 on all ballots)
#3: University of Illinois, 135 points (highest ranking #3, lowest ranking #5)
#4: University of California, Berkeley, 123 points (highest ranking #3, lowest ranking #9)
#5: University of Maryland, 121 points (highest ranking #3, lowest ranking #8)
#6: University of Virginia, 117 points (highest ranking #5, lowest ranking #8)
#7: University of Chicago B, 115 points (highest ranking #4, lowest ranking #11)
#8: Ohio State University, 112 points (highest ranking #4, lowest ranking #10)
#9: Harvard University, 103 points (highest ranking #6, lowest ranking #10)
#10: University of Florida, 100 points (highest ranking #6, lowest ranking #11)
#11: University of Texas, 92 points (highest ranking #7, lowest ranking #14)
#12: University of Minnesota, 85 points (highest ranking #9, lowest ranking #13)
#13: Stanford University, 71 points (highest ranking #10, not ranked on 1 ballot)
#14: University of Cambridge, 54 points (highest ranking #14, not ranked on 1 ballot)
#15: Cornell University, 51 points (highest ranking #15, lowest ranking #21)
#16 (tied): University of Oxford, 44 points (highest ranking #17, lowest ranking #22)
#16 (tied): Yale University, 44 points (highest ranking #13, not ranked on 2 ballots)
#18: Washington University in St. Louis, 43 points (highest ranking #13, lowest ranking #23)
#19 (tied): University of Toronto, 35 points (highest ranking #15, lowest ranking #22)
#19 (tied): Columbia University B, 35 points (highest ranking #16, not ranked on 2 ballots)
#21: Georgia Institute of Technology, 33 points (highest ranking #14, lowest ranking #24)
#22: McGill University, 30 points (highest ranking #14, not ranked on 3 ballots)
#23 (tied): Johns Hopkins University, 21 points (highest ranking #16, not ranked on 2 ballots)
#23 (tied): University of North Carolina, 21 points (highest ranking #15, not ranked on 2 ballots)
#25: University of Delaware, 20 points (highest ranking #18, not ranked on 1 ballot)

Also receiving votes:
Harvard University B, 19 points (highest ranking #15, not ranked on 2 ballots)
University of California, Los Angeles, 14 points (highest ranking #17, not ranked on 4 ballots)
University of Chicago C, 11 points (highest ranking #19, not ranked on 3 ballots)
Duke University, 6 points (highest ranking #21, not ranked on 4 ballots)
Pennsylvania State University, 6 points (highest ranking #20, not ranked on 5 ballots)
University of Southampton, 4 points (highest ranking #22, not ranked on 5 ballots)
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, 1 point (highest ranking #25, not ranked on 5 ballots)
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17