Summer Events?

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Summer Events?

Post by Mike Bentley »

With CO cancelled this year, it's looking pretty likely there won't be any in-person summer events. That's a long time without quizbowl. Most online open tournaments since the lockdown have largely been late mirrors of tournaments that already happened to some capacity in person. Unless I'm missing something, there aren't any big online events on the horizon after Oxford Open in June.

I'd personally like to see some tournaments fill the gap for July and August. I'll do my part and move up The Myth of the Machine to have an online mirror in July (in-person mirrors are still welcome if that's your thing).

Are there other events that could be moved to this summer? Some side events that could be un-postponed? I wouldn't mind a DECAMERON sequel although something with at least some more centralized editing (or vetting on packet authors) would be preferred.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Re: Summer Events?

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

We haven't set a date yet, but we're planning to run Scattergories 4 as an online event this summer.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

Mike Bentley wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:12 pm With CO cancelled this year, it's looking pretty likely there won't be any in-person summer events. That's a long time without quizbowl. Most online open tournaments since the lockdown have largely been late mirrors of tournaments that already happened to some capacity in person. Unless I'm missing something, there aren't any big online events on the horizon after Oxford Open in June.

I'd personally like to see some tournaments fill the gap for July and August. I'll do my part and move up The Myth of the Machine to have an online mirror in July (in-person mirrors are still welcome if that's your thing).

Are there other events that could be moved to this summer? Some side events that could be un-postponed? I wouldn't mind a DECAMERON sequel although something with at least some more centralized editing (or vetting on packet authors) would be preferred.
You'd have to get in touch with the SUMO (academic) and John Charles Daly editors (trash) but the hope is to have an in-person event down here in Florida in the late summer. Not sure what the rule is on smaller gatherings for tournaments in some other states as of now but you could probably get in touch with them to set up a mirror for the summer or fall? Otherwise, they probably are amenable to an online mirror as well.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Here Comes Rusev Day wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:29 pm the hope is to have an in-person event down here in Florida in the late summer
glad to see my fellow Floridians taking the pandemic seriously
Eleanor
they/she
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

VSCOelasticity wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:02 pm
Here Comes Rusev Day wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:29 pm the hope is to have an in-person event down here in Florida in the late summer
August or September is 3-4 months away and nothing else has been confirmed beyond what was delayed from the earlier date in May. The public health concern has always been the priority of those involved and nothing would be held (and would be pushed back again) if it meant a dangerous situation for anyone involved.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

I floated the idea, once or twice, of running something after 8 weeks of dropping case numbers. And only then. And then, to a lot of pushback. You can appraise how likely that 8 week case is, but no one is going to risk their life for bad Futurama tossups.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
Jewish Pugilist
Lulu

Post by Jewish Pugilist »

bradleykirksey wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 pm
I floated the idea, once or twice, of running something after 8 weeks of dropping case numbers. And only then. And then, to a lot of pushback. You can appraise how likely that 8 week case is, but no one is going to risk their life for bad Futurama tossups.
Let it be known that brad and I dont really care when the first site of JCD III happens. At least personally, it could be played next year and I wouldn't care
Peter Torres
University of Central Florida 2014-2019
JA01
Wakka

Post by JA01 »

I’m organizing a house written tournament on August 1 and an all film tournament sometime after that in August.
Jade Anderson
Smithtown High School West President Class of ‘19
Stony Brook University President Class of ‘23