ANNOUNCEMENT: EFT Mirror at Wake Forest

Old college threads.
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

ANNOUNCEMENT: EFT Mirror at Wake Forest

Post by Headmaster Thursby »

Wake Forest is happy to announce that we'll be hosting a mirror of Early Fall Tournament 3 on October 11th. For this site, it will be semi-officially entitled Headmaster Thursby's Cornish Game Hen Extravaganza in honor of departing team members. The fee structure will be as follows:

$100 base fee per team
-$5 per working buzzer system
-$10 per full-time moderator/scorekeeper
-$10 per 200 miles traveled
Minimum fee per team: $60

This is a non-packet submission tournament, and very accessible, and a lot of fun for seasoned players and beginners alike, so we hope to see a big turnout. If you have questions or want to go ahead and register, email me (Jacob Bathanti) at -- bathjj5 AT wfu DOT edu --. Location and start times will be emailed or posted at a later point, as will any major changes to the above information (I don't really anticipate there being any).

We are also added a Master's bracket which will run parallel to the regular tournament, with separate awards and such being given out, to accommodate more experienced players who want to play each other and not novices. These teams will be one or two-man teams, and will be assessed at $25 per person, with a minimum per-person fee of $15. At the moment, we're looking at limiting this bracket to five teams, so that everyone playing in that bracket will pull some moderating duty. If we have more than five folks interested, we'll start putting people together to form two-man teams; if we start getting really significant response, we'll reconsider how this format works. The moderator discount will not apply, but the other stuff will.
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: EFT Mirror at Wake Forest

Hey guys, just a couple updates.

-Master's bracket is open to non-collegiate players. Putting yourself in that is pretty much at your own discretion - if you should be playing in it, you know who you are.

-Teams that have so far expressed interest (we'll keep updating this periodically):

VCU
J. Sargeant Reynolds
UNC x 2
South Carolina
Maryland
Liberty (possible)

Master's bracket, rumored individuals:
Chris Ray (Maryland)
Evan Adams (VCU)

We'd love to be able to close off registration by Oct. 6 or so, so if you know how many teams you're bringing and so forth, go ahead and let me know - we don't need names and such until about the 9th, but if we have to scramble for something, it'd be good to have the cushion.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
http://groups.wfu.edu/quizbowl/
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

As far as I know, all of VCU's people will be playing in the regular division. This may change depending on whether we get additional interest and need a way to play an odd number of people.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

CMU will be bringing at least one team.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

UVA should be bringing a team.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Clemson should be bringing a team.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Phil Durkos and I will be playing in the Master's bracket. I have heard rumors that Eric Douglass is playing as well.

Maryland will also be sending two teams to the main tournament.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Yes, I would like to sign myself and Bryn Reinecke as a team in the masters' bracket.

Eric Douglass
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

So, what building is this going to be in?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

It's going to be in Carswell Hall, but there should be a map put up later today or tomorrow with the start time, etc, as well as accommodation information for those who've requested such things. Also, just to put out a feeler - we're probably going to order in a ton of pizza because Winston-Salem is not ideal for going off campus to eat (confusing). So if anyone has requests for some sort of wild and wonderful toppings (half anchovy half italian sausage and green olive, etc.) feel free to post a request. There's also some non-greasy dining on campus, for anyone who's currently blanching at the idea of pizza.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Case Western is definately interested in a spot, but we've not yet resolved our transportation issues. You should know whether or not to expect us before the end of the week.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Okay chaps, official info for EFT 3, Wake Forest Mirror: Headmaster Thursby's Cornish Game Hen Extravaganza.

We will be getting started promptly at 9:30 AM, in Carswell Hall, which you can see here:

http://groups.wfu.edu/quizbowl/home2.html

Registration will be between 8:30 and 9:15 in Annenberg Forum, which is the big auditorium immediately in front of you when you walk in through the main entrance. The usual donuts and orange juice repast will be on hand. Please try to be punctual, but should you run into difficulties (or need to get in touch for any other reason) you can call my cell phone at (828) 406-3716.

For those who will be staying in Winston, a couple suggested hotels (based on cheapness and proximity to campus) are:
The Quality Inn Coliseum, on Akron Drive
The Days Inn Winston-Salem North, on Germanton Road

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

One other thing, but important enough to get its own post: we are doubling the discount for moderators/scorekeepers, from ten dollars to twenty dollars. This is both because we feel it's a fairer discount for the amount of time that goes into officiating, and out of a desire to attract more moderators and scorekeepers. We'd much rather be overstaffed than understaffed. This discount will also apply to teams who want to rotate multiple moderators on and off their team. So basically, we'll give you money to feel appreciated by our whole tournament staff.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Could we get a field update?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Absolutely!

Regular Tournament:

UVA
UNC x 2
South Carolina
Maryland, 1-2
Clemson
JS Reynolds
CMU
VCU
UMBC

Possibles: Liberty, Case Western

Masters:

Chris Ray & Phil Durkos
Eric Douglass & Bryn Reinecke

I'm still hoping that Duke and State, at the least, will come to this, considering proximity; we're also trying to get in touch with a couple high school teams. Also, the Masters Division may end up being merged into the regular tournament (with separate awards being given for Div. 1 and Div. 2, in that case).
Last edited by Headmaster Thursby on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Absolutely!

Regular Tournament:

UVA
UNC x 2
South Carolina
Maryland x 2
Clemson
JS Reynolds
CMU
VCU
UMBC

Possibles: Liberty, Case Western

Masters:

WFU Alums
Chris Ray & Phil Durkos
Eric Douglass & Brian Reinecke
Evan Adams

I'm still hoping that Duke and State, at the least, will come to this, considering proximity; we're also trying to get in touch with a couple high school teams.
1) Cool, thanks.
2)Maryland, at the moment, only has one team together, so it should probably read 1-2
3) I was under the impression (per Matt's post in this thread) that Evan wasn't going to be playing the masters division.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Okay, thanks for the update on your folks. You are correct about Evan - I was going off what I had in my email and skipped over that post, thanks for re-alerting me to that. It's sounding like the Master's division is not going to be huge - the WFU alum team has pulled out between my last post and the writing of this one - so we may just merge them into the regular tournament, compile separate stats, and do prelim/playoff format - which should give veteran people about half a tournament's worth of higher level play anyway. Please feel free to discuss - I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about this, since skill levels seem likely to vary widely no matter how brackets are set up, and it seems unlikely that Masters-level people are going to have a ton of fun playing their own bracket if that division has only (as it is at the moment) two teams. But fire away with comments, preferences, etc.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Okay, thanks for the update on your folks. You are correct about Evan - I was going off what I had in my email and skipped over that post, thanks for re-alerting me to that. It's sounding like the Master's division is not going to be huge - the WFU alum team has pulled out between my last post and the writing of this one - so we may just merge them into the regular tournament, compile separate stats, and do prelim/playoff format - which should give veteran people about half a tournament's worth of higher level play anyway. Please feel free to discuss - I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about this, since skill levels seem likely to vary widely no matter how brackets are set up, and it seems unlikely that Masters-level people are going to have a ton of fun playing their own bracket if that division has only (as it is at the moment) two teams. But fire away with comments, preferences, etc.
Well, everyone who's playing the master's division could simply play solo. I also heard that there's a good chance Leo Wolpert will be playing in the masters bracket, which means that, say, Phil and I could each play solo, Brian and Eric could play together, and we could have four "teams" going, which is worthwhile enough.

I'm not sure about the wisdom of combining the brackets - I doubt Eric, Phil, or Brian have much interest in playing EFT against a largely novice field (I certainly don't). However, if this field is containing UNC's top players, a full VCU team, Clemson, UVA, and CMU, I don't think we're at the point where there's a particularly meaningful disparity between most of those teams and the masters bracket. At the moment that group of teams appears to outnumber any teams that could conceivably be true novice squads anyway. However, this is VERY dependent on lineups, so it's probably important to lock down who's actually going to be coming. If those teams aren't at full strength, that changes the nature of the field and there's no question that mixing the fields is a bad idea. I'm not convinced it isn't a bad idea anyway, though.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

DumbJaques wrote: Well, everyone who's playing the master's division could simply play solo. I also heard that there's a good chance Leo Wolpert will be playing in the masters bracket, which means that, say, Phil and I could each play solo, Brian and Eric could play together, and we could have four "teams" going, which is worthwhile enough.
Yeah there's a good chance I will be playing. Well, at least a chance. I suck, though, so I hope you all will enjoy the free wins.
Leo Wolpert
TJHSST '01
University of Michigan '05
UVA Law '11
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

We'll certainly defer, in the question of how to handle masters-level folks, to what they want to do. Hopefully there'll be at least a four-strong field, which would make that easy to handle and, as Chris said, at least worthwhile enough.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Once again Bryn Reinecke has undergone an unfortunate sex change due to inattentiveness.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Oh Lord. Deepest apologies, Bryn - I need to stop typing up things from memory, since obviously I have none whatsoever. I'll try and do what I can to reverse the operation.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Dan Puma and I are planning to play this tournament. I would prefer to combine the brackets. Playing the same three individuals four times would get boring and it would be more interesting to get a chance to play teams like VCU, UVA, Clemson, UNC, and CMU. That way I could get a sense for all these younger teams, which frnakly are probably as competitive as the teams in the Masters bracket. I'm not sure if I would make the trip down just to play Chris a bunch of times, because I can do that anytime by going to a UMD practice.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

I just shot you an email Jacob. Count us in for a team.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I'd like to register myself in the master's bracket. If there's going to be separate brackets, I would prefer that everyone play solo (for the sake of having more teams & not playing the same teams like three times).
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

If the Mets make the playoffs, I won't be going to EFT.
Leo Wolpert
TJHSST '01
UVA Law '11
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Leo Wolpert wrote:If the Mets make the playoffs, I won't be going to EFT.
See you at EFT.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Matt Weiner wrote:
See you at EFT.
You have no idea how much I wanted to make this post.... :grin:
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

Matt Weiner wrote:
See you at EFT.
You fail the LSAT.

That said, I am much more likely to attend EFT now, I guess.
Leo Wolpert
TJHSST '01
UVA Law '11
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Leo Wolpert wrote:
You fail the LSAT.

That said, I am much more likely to attend EFT now, I guess.
...I was hoping someone would start playing logic games for that one. Still, I second the normative bias toward attending EFT, for obvious reasons.

Also: to officially register, please send me an email ([email protected]), with subject heading "EFT Registration," and let me know what distance discounts you're eligible for, if you'll be bringing buzzer systems or staffers, and if possible the names of the players on your team(s). It will most certainly help the tournament run more smoothly if we have all that info ahead of time. Obviously you can shuffle/change players around 'til the morning of the 11th as long as you're registered by the 6th (and earlier than that is better, if possible).

We will be taking either cash or checks on the morning of the tournament. Field update coming soon (when I have a couple more maybes confirm yea/nay, that is).
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

After talking to some people, I'm under the impression that the following people are going to be at Wake for this event:

Leo Wolpert
Ted Gioia
Dan Puma
Daichi Ueda
Me
Eric Douglass
Bryn Reinecke
Phil Durkos

This is enough for a 4-6 team masters division, which I think is fine. While it is true that teams like VCU, CMU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA all have people who would be just as competitive as the people currently in the masters division, I think at least some of those teams (VCU and UVA) are going to have people who are new. I see no reason why it would be problematic to do a masters division.

Similar to what I said before, I think how we ultimately decide to break it down should depend on who shows up for a particular team. If everyone fields the best lineup they could, would their even be any teams at this event who can be formally classified as novice? The only teams I'm not sure about are UNC B and South Carolina. Clemson, of course, is comprised of first-year players and were Daichi or Dan Puma to play solo, they'd qualify, but all of those individuals have extensive experience with high level college competition and I am fairly certain none of them want to be in any kind of novice bracket. Bottom line, the goal of having novice teams not have to play very high level competition at the first novice event of the year is a good one, but if we're really in a situation where maybe 10% of the field even meets that definition, it seems largely pointless to me.

Brown's EFT field is composed both of superior "masters" teams than this one and a larger number of novice squads, and to my knowledge is running as one field. If teams are holding back their more experienced players for this event, by all means we should use a masters field. But it seems like the goals of most of the "masters level" teams here would be to play against like competition on an assuredly great set, so I'd hate to see a field with this strength split up if it wouldn't amount to anything worthwhile.

I guess this is my proposal - I'd like to know what people think:

I am not certain what the lineups of the teams currently listed in the regular field will be. I imagine, however, that out of VCU, CMU, UVA, and UNC A, there will be 3 teams who would be just fine (and, if we're measuring by approximate level or even traditional DII eligibility, aren't really "novice" bracket material). I suggest combining 3 of those teams with the current masters field shuffled in some balanced way to create 5 teams, giving 8 total for a DI/Masters/whatever bracket and 8 teams remaining in the main field. I think this maximizes games against appropriate competition, eliminates somewhat arbitrary field division, and results in teams that meet the DII criteria playing in the novice bracket. I'd imagine that this would also be less work for the tournament director, as a single schedule format can be used by both brackets. If more teams add/drop, the composition of the 5 masters teams in the top bracket can be altered as needed to fit in 16 total teams.

The only problem I can see with this is if for some reason there are not 3 sufficiently strong teams in the main field. My projection assumes that at least some of the more experienced members of UNC A will be here, VCU is apparently going to have both Evan and Andrew, CMU has Trevor/Dan/Mark in some combination, and UVA has Will Butler. If that isn't the situation, then I still think the plan works, all that's needed is to modify how we break up the current masters group. I suppose it's also possible that somebody else (like Clemson, or all four of the aforementioned teams) all want to play in the top bracket - again, I think it's adjustable enough to account for these things.

So, workable?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

DumbJaques wrote:If everyone fields the best lineup they could, would their even be any teams at this event who can be formally classified as novice? The only teams I'm not sure about are UNC B and South Carolina.
To clarify things, USC has Joey Montoya on it, who is starting his 4th year of quizbowl, so I guess they aren't novice. For what it's worth, having been to their practices this year, the USC team appears to be much improved from last year. I'm sure they'll be happy to play in any division, be it novice, masters, general, etc. and compete well. As for me, I have no strong preference for any of the scenarios and will go with whatever.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I think we should just combine the divisions into one big field. Brown is running one division at their site, which also features many national caliber teams. I see no reason why we can't run one field and then split up into appropriate playoff brackets. Most of the field is comparable in strength, and I could easily see CMU, UVA, UNC, USC, or Clemson beating any of the Masters bracket teams. The lower level teams can be given Division two awards based on eligibility and can play teams closer to their skill level the second half of the day.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Also, can we get a field update?
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Gentlemen/women,

First, thank you Chris and Ted and Eric for thoughtful input and scouting. Field update is coming tonight when I have confirmation on a small detail. Also after talking to some folks, what we're leaning very strongly toward down here is exactly what Ted is proposing. An added benefit is that it'll allow for even more variety in terms of teams playing each other - instead of each team playing 7 others twice, each team would play 11 others, I believe (could be doing that math wrong but I don't think so). Awards would indeed be given on a D1/D2 basis. And in this fashion the field would sortof self-regulate, at least for the second half of the day. Feel free to discuss. News at 11.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Magister Ludi wrote:I think we should just combine the divisions into one big field. Brown is running one division at their site, which also features many national caliber teams.
I think there's been some confusion about how EFT has been advertised. While we're writing EFT to be easier than a regular difficulty tournament, we've never really advertised it as a "juniorbird" or "novice" event. I firmly believe that anyone can learn plenty of new things while playing this tournament (even in their category of specialization), with the possible exception of the top 5-6 active players who are ineligible anyway because they've been playtesting the questions.

Furthermore, the northeast is a bit of a different ballgame than the region this mirror is taking place in. For example, last year, the only player that held themselves back from playing fall was Jerry - everyone else showed up in full force. We didnt' feel the need to split the divisions for this tournament simply because there's a large number of teams and a fairly solid continuum of skill levels in the field, from teams that are sure to make the top bracket of nationals to novices who've never seen pyramidal questions before, meaning that everyone will have several competitive games, and will only crush or be crushed once or twice during the day. It seems like this field isn't necessarily going to meet that continuity criterion, but I could definitely be wrong.

Far be it for me to tell you how to run your tournament, but I'd like to suggest that you hand out D2 awards if you don't split the divisions; that'd help meet EFT's goal of reeling in new teams while allowing more experienced players the freedom to play this set.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

First, I think that there'll be enough field continuity to make it worthwhile to combine brackets, as well as enough variety in skill levels, to make it worthwhile to follow a prelims/finals format. I hope that I'm right, because it's what we're doing. That is to say: there will be one combined field. This field will then be split into three or four brackets, depending on field size, and each bracket will play a single round robin. After this, the teams will be reshuffled, re-assigned to new brackets based on performance, and again play a single round robin. This will determine the ultimate winner of the tournament, etc. There will most likely be packets left over (either four or two). After the tourney, I reckon anyone who wants to stay and play them is quite welcome to do so. Reshuffle teams, stage rematches, etc. etc. Y'all have been here before and know what I'm talking about. So. That's how that shall be.

Teams designated Masters level will keep that status for awards purposes. We will also split the "regular" teams in the field into D1 and D2 based on playing time: that is, D2 = people in their first 4 semesters of college quizbowl (and high schools and community colleges), D1 = other folks. Again, standard. So team awards will be distributed in three categories: Masters, D1, and D2. This will not affect tournament play, but will give us an excuse to foist spoils on more people. Awards will also of course be distributed to top individuals, etc. etc.

As to a field update:

Officially registered (as in have emailed me, which is the formal criterion):
JS Reynolds
UVA
UNC x 2
VCU x 2
Case Western
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Daichi Ueda (Masters)
Ted Gioia and Dan Puma (Masters)

Teams that are signed up on the forums and/or that I'm counting on coming and just waiting for official (emailed) confirmation:
South Carolina
Maryland 1-2
Clemson
CMU
Duke 1-2
UNC #3
Eric Douglass and Bryn Reinecke (Masters)
Chris Ray and Phil Durkos (Masters)
Leo Wolpert (Masters)

Staffers
Brice Russ
Matt Weiner
Wake Forest People (8-12)

As you can see, we are in some need still of staffers. To reiterate, the discount has been doubled, from 10 to 20 dollars. To expand further: it also includes a huge debt of gratitude. We'd much rather give discounts to Quiz Bowl people than pay non-Quiz Bowl people to read questions, if it should come to that. So bring staff members. Cheaper for you, less migraine-inducing for us.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT: WE ARE INTRODUCING A 24-TEAM FIELD CAP. The number of teams potentially fluctuates between 17 and 22 right now. So if you know you're coming, go ahead and email me ([email protected]) to officially register.

So then. That's all of that, for now. Looking forward to seeing all of you soon.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

If the other folks on the UVA team don't mind, I may end up playing with them. I guess that would make it a masters team if it happens, even though i do actually attend UVA Law.
Leo Wolpert
TJHSST '01
UVA Law '11
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

That's certainly fine with me - just let me know what you want to do. That probably would make y'all a Masters team. If we continue to preserve that distinction. If the people in the Masters field (which is now Chris Ray/Phil Durkos, Eric Douglass/Bryn Reinecke, and Ted Gioia/Dan Puma, w/Daichi now playing w/George Stevens as the quasi-Clemson team) would prefer to, we can merge Masters into D1 and have no Masters bracket. I certainly don't care, so Eric and Chris and Ted can feel free to weigh in on that. I'm fine with keeping the masters division - as far as I'm concerned its another category on a spreadsheet, and one more prize to hand out, and I can think of no compelling reason to give less stuff away. If any of the affected parties can think of one, do speak up.

Speaking of which, could folks registering let me know if they classify as D1/D2, as well as all their other info? Thanks a billion.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

JSR's team will be D1.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I think we should remove the "Masters" distinction. The only reason it exists now is to hand out extra awards, so I don't think there is any compelling reason to keep it.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Just wanted to remind everyone that registration closes at midnight tomorrow night, that is, the 6th of October. Please email me to officially register teams, buzzers, and staffers. knowing an exact roster, by the way, is really not that important at this point - that can be sent in later.

Field update:

Officially registered (as in have emailed me, which is the formal criterion):
JS Reynolds
UVA
UNC x 3
VCU x 2
CMU
Case Western
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Quasi-Clemson (Daichi Ueda and George Stevens)
Ted Gioia and Dan Puma

Teams that are signed up on the forums and/or that I'm counting on coming and just waiting for official (emailed) confirmation:
South Carolina
Maryland 1-2
Duke 1-2
Eric Douglass and Bryn Reinecke
Chris Ray and Phil Durkos
Leo Wolpert (possibly playing with UVA's team)
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hey, please check out my post in the Brown EFT thread for some details about this set that those attending the Wake Forest site should know.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Here is the finalized field for Early Fall at Wake Forest, also known as Headmaster Thursby's Cornish Game Hen Extravaganza.

UNC A
UNC B
UNC C
Duke A
Duke B
VCU A
VCU B
UVA
Maryland A
Maryland B
JS Reynolds
UMBC
CMU
Case Western
South Carolina
Eric Douglass/Bryn Reinecke
Ted Gioia/Dan Puma
George Stevens/Daichi Ueda

This is a total of 18 teams, which should make packaging this group into three brackets of 6 each fairly hassle-free.
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Alright, so I'm intent on playing in this, but I need a place to stay Friday night as I'm a poor college kid driving up by myself with no recognition/funding (yet) from my school. If anyone has an unoccupied floor/bed/whatever at their hotel/house/whatever, I would be very appreciative if I could stay there.

EDIT: It has been dealt with.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Is Leo Wolpert playing with the UVA team or what's the deal with that? That's the final piece of info I need for bracketing... Thanks tons.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

Headmaster Thursby wrote:Is Leo Wolpert playing with the UVA team or what's the deal with that? That's the final piece of info I need for bracketing... Thanks tons.
He's playing with us.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Thanks very much to everyone from the 18 teams who came out and made this come off successfully. In brief, Maryland B won the tournament, followed by UVA in second. Chris Ray was tops in both scoring and negs, with Ike Jose following as second scorer. Results will be posted in full soon.
Last edited by Headmaster Thursby on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

So did Duke actually have a reason for leaving early, or did they decide just to deprive teams of playing additional games out of spite?
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

A.F. wrote:So did Duke actually have a reason for leaving early, or did they decide just to deprive teams of playing additional games out of spite?
At this point, if Duke didn't leave a tournament early and screw over the other teams, we would have to assume that Skrulls had liquidated the Duke team and assumed their forms.
Matt Weiner