Southern California 08-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Julie RS
Lulu

Re: Southern California 08-09

Post by Julie RS »

jpn wrote:
ihavenoidea wrote:Edison played prelims, decided that since they didn't qualify for the top bracket to leave in the middle/before play offs.
Stop doing this, people!
I don't know why somebody from Rancho is speaking for Edison...

At Twain, Edison had several games against good teams come down to the last question and they lost them all.

One of my daughter's teammates was also on heavy duty medication for Leukemia and I think that the circumstances impacted the team. My daughter found out about her friend's Leukemia and need for a bone marrow transplant at the tournament. Maddie isn't the most empathetic person in the world, but she felt incredibly bad for her friend, a feeling that was universal, I am sure, amongst the team. They know they didn't do a great job at the tournament. But guess what, sometimes there is more to life than Quiz Bowl.

I was with the team at CBCT and yes the field was not representative of So Cal Quiz Bowl, but Edison beat strong teams like Torrey Pines, University and San Dieguito. Edison was hoping to be undefeated for the day, to redeem themselves a bit, but when San Dieguito heard that they had to beat Edison in the last game for second place, there was no stopping them. I have to say though ending the day with a 9-1 record is nothing to be ashamed of.
Julie
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

If Edison was undefeated and had an excellent chance of winning the tournament, would they still have made the decision to leave early? If yes, then it was the right decision and they should be applauded for deciding that something was more important than quizbowl. If not, then regardless of actual intentions, it looks like it was used as an excuse to leave because the team wasn't doing well. And this question is certainly relevant, because I've seen an undefeated team that was likely going to win the tournament leave a tournament before due to unforeseen circumstances.

Also, teams should go to the UCSD and RB tournaments on November 15 and 22 (try to make at least one). If you're worried about question length, I can virtually guarantee that the questions are only about a line longer than an NAQT tossup, and of similar difficulty; these aren't "eight line behemoths" we're talking about, they'll contain yummy clues, and they'll have more fine arts and less trash. Plus, they're cheaper than other tournaments right now.

I can understand that some coaches think all non-NAQT tournaments are somehow "not legitimate". I don't hold that view, and although I don't speak for NAQT I'm pretty sure they don't hold that view either - think about it, NAQT only produces about 8 sets a year, half of which are A-level sets, and there are well more than 8 weekends worth playing quizbowl on, and I'd think that on non-NAQT weekends, NAQT would prefer you play something that resembles NAQT (as in has pyramidal tossups and 30-point bonuses) rather than speedbowl or nothing at all. Playing on good quizbowl questions - whether that's NAQT (preparing for backlash from nationally elite players) or HSAPQ or independent tournaments - can only make you better on other good quizbowl questions. So please, give it at least a try and comment on whether you like it.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

cvdwightw wrote:Playing on good quizbowl questions - whether that's NAQT (preparing for backlash from nationally elite players) or HSAPQ or independent tournaments - can only make you better on other good quizbowl questions.
I don't think anyone, however anti-NAQT partisan, can dispute this or would try to do so.

I do want to plug UCSD's mirror of HFT. It's looking pretty nice.
Andrew Watkins
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Plug for RB's mirror of NNT! Come play!
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

If we go to NNT, do we really have to wake up at 4 am just to get there on time? o-o

and after seeing the comments on Jarred's pic on Facebook, I'm scared to sleep in the car...
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
ak47
Lulu

Post by ak47 »

I don't see why you guys would have to wake up at 5 to get to our tourney on time. It starts on 9, a quick google map search says it takes 2 hours to get to RB from Arcadia. Leaving from Arcadia at any time from 6:30-7:00 seems sufficient ...
Anurag Kashyap
Rancho Bernardo '09
MIT '13
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

Tournaments held at Rancho go against all aspects of Utilitarian philosophy
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Incorrect, it's easier for people to qualify because we're not playing, it's more convenient for San Diego teams, LA teams deserve to experience the joy of the roundway 4-hour trip we have to take every tournament, and this set is going to be pretty much amazing.
Zhao Zhang
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

ihavenoidea wrote:Incorrect, it's easier for people to qualify because we're not playing, it's more convenient for San Diego teams, LA teams deserve to experience the joy of the roundway 4-hour trip we have to take every tournament, and this set is going to be pretty much amazing.
San Diego Teams, I only know of two. And, being unfamiliar with your tournaments, I must ask: Qualify for what?
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

San Diego: TP, La Jolla, Carlsbad, RB, Scripps Ranch, San Dieguito

Qualify for PACE NSC of course!
Zhao Zhang
ak47
Lulu

Post by ak47 »

RB's mirror of NNT is going to make the great amount of people very happy because:

(1) The set for NNT is probably the best set targeted toward high schoolers in Southern California in as long as I can remember because the questions are written and edited by people who are actually competent and extremely experienced in quizbowl for a long time. This should make you happy because (a) there will be a significant reduction in buzzer races, (b) there will be lots of clue-dense questions to satiate anyone's academic fancy, and (c) there won't be 100/576 geography.

(2) NNT makes a lot of San Diegan teams happy, because awesome teams like La Jolla, San Dieguito, Carlsbad, and Torrey Pines can actually make the tournament without having to take a hajj to UCLA or Caltech. Being that San Diego makes a pretty decent chunk of the SoCal circuit, this satisfies a utility calculus.

(3) NNT is a gateway to the PACE NSC (top 4 qualify). Insofar as the PACE NSC is a tournament that is more well-written and arguably (and I would agree) more legitimate than the HSNCT (not to take away anything from the HSNCT), going go this tournament and qualifying would make teams extremely happy that they now have an opportunity to play a tournament that's of the highest quality.

(4) Rancho Bernardo TD'ing is awesome. Awesome people make others happy. It's just a fact.
Anurag Kashyap
Rancho Bernardo '09
MIT '13
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

EPIPHANY! None of this matters to me because SAMO doesn't do PACE! I have a good reason for being oblivious! O HAPPY DAY!

And be real with me, when was the last time you saw Carlsbad or Scripps Ranch at an NAQT tourney?
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

warpoet wrote:EPIPHANY! None of this matters to me because SAMO doesn't do PACE! I have a good reason for being oblivious! O HAPPY DAY!

And be real with me, when was the last time you saw Carlsbad or Scripps Ranch at an NAQT tourney?
Carlsbad at TWAIN this year, Scripps Ranch at Caltech last year? Maybe, but I know Rancho Buena Vista attended last year's Caltech tournament too.

SAMO should do PACE. They should at least try formats other than NAQT.
Zhao Zhang
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

warpoet wrote:EPIPHANY! None of this matters to me because SAMO doesn't do PACE! I have a good reason for being oblivious! O HAPPY DAY!
There aren't any areas of the country that regularly run on a PACE format. That's why it was designed to have the format it has.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Kaisuopai
Lulu

Post by Kaisuopai »

...In retrospect, I think I should have known that San Dieguito was a San Diego team. >_<

So yeah...LA teams deserve to experience the hajj to a tournament for once. :P If we and RB can do it well, so can y'all. Anyway, I want to see Scripps Ranch at NNT and flatten them for stealing our Academic League thunder last year.

-Kai
-redacted-
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Kai, is Allison a freshmen?
Zhao Zhang
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

SAMO at PACE would definitely be interesting, but I don't see it happening anytime soon...
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

To get there before 9, we should leave at 6:45, but they're gonna say leave at 6:30 because of certain TIMS (if they see this), so we have to wake up at 6ish...?
Yeah, that isn't too bad.

Don't NAQT tournaments count as qualification for TWAIN also?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I mean, you seem to have some pretty grave misconceptions about what PACE is. PACE is simply an organization of people who do things that are good for quizbowl as the goal in mind, like hosting this message board. We run our national tournament every year in a rather unique format, and it is the only official "PACE" event put on. Teams can qualify for PACE using any good tournament of any format (NAQT included) as long as it's a PACE qualifier. The Rancho Bernardo tournament is using a format that is basically equivalent to an untimed NAQT event, but with higher quality questions.
PACE is not a company like NAQT, and PACE should not be treated as some mutually exclusive thing, which seems to be how lots of SoCal teams view it. The tournaments affiliated with PACE are simply anything that meets some basic criteria of being good tournaments that request affiliation. I know I played at the PACE NSC my senior year and found it to be the most fulfilling high school quizbowl experience I've ever had as far as the questions went, certainly much better written than the HSNCT. I would seriously consider rethinking how you view PACE, and while I have no problem if your team does not attend the NSC, I do kind of have a problem with you thinking that if you are a quizbowl team you have to pick and choose which good format you are going to play, as opposed to simply going to all the good tournaments that you can feasibly go to.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

This just in: World Series MVP Cole Hamels of the Philadelphia Phillies is an* alumnus of, for ten points, what high school known for its Quiz Bowl program?

Two hours later: Wow... I guess I am the only person left who knows sports :sad:
Last edited by warpoet on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
The Lumpy Rug
Kimahri

Post by The Lumpy Rug »

GARBAGE DAY 425 wrote:I mean, you seem to have some pretty grave misconceptions about what PACE is. PACE is simply an organization of people who do things that are good for quizbowl as the goal in mind, like hosting this message board. We run our national tournament every year in a rather unique format, and it is the only official "PACE" event put on. Teams can qualify for PACE using any good tournament of any format (NAQT included) as long as it's a PACE qualifier. The Rancho Bernardo tournament is using a format that is basically equivalent to an untimed NAQT event, but with higher quality questions.
PACE is not a company like NAQT, and PACE should not be treated as some mutually exclusive thing, which seems to be how lots of SoCal teams view it. The tournaments affiliated with PACE are simply anything that meets some basic criteria of being good tournaments that request affiliation. I know I played at the PACE NSC my senior year and found it to be the most fulfilling high school quizbowl experience I've ever had as far as the questions went, certainly much better written than the HSNCT. I would seriously consider rethinking how you view PACE, and while I have no problem if your team does not attend the NSC, I do kind of have a problem with you thinking that if you are a quizbowl team you have to pick and choose which good format you are going to play, as opposed to simply going to all the good tournaments that you can feasibly go to.
But if NAQT keeps hiding information about other quizbowl, why wouldn't teams whose information about quizbowl comes from NAQT think that other formats are dangerous mysteries?
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

warpoet wrote:This just in: World Series MVP Cole Hamels of the Philadelphia Phillies is an* alumnus of, for ten points, what high school known for its Quiz Bowl program?

Two hours later: Wow... I guess I am the only person left who knows sports :sad:

WTF, they have a spelling bee champ AND the World Series MVP?!?!? =OOO
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I'm not sure where this whole "we don't do non-NAQT tournaments" philosophy came from. Way back in the day (2001 or so), we played whatever tournaments were advertised given opportunity and funds, whether it was NAQT, some weird format that wasn't quite Academic League at Southwest, or mACF at UC Riverside or UC Irvine. I mean heck, we didn't know any better, we would've played :chip: if the school had allowed us to use whatever Internet thing he made teams use. And now people are talking like NAQT is the be-all and end-all of quizbowl, and I'm pretty sure that's not because of a conscious marketing strategy by NAQT.

By no means is anyone advocating that we stop playing NAQT and take up these new formats in Southern California. What is true is that we're reaching a point where the number of teams, and good teams in particular, is outgrowing the number of tournaments that can be run only on NAQT questions.

NAQT is producing 9 sets this year. If you want to play on every single NAQT set and nothing else, well, I guess that's your prerogative. But consider that HSAPQ is producing 8 sets this year, not to mention the numerous well-received independent tournaments run in other sections of the country that are allowing us to mirror them if we want to do so. So, we're looking at well over 20 weekends of playing quizbowl, if people want to do that. Granted, this takes money, and that's one of the reasons why I've been ineffectually pushing for lower tournament prices, because all 20 or so of those tournaments are worth playing.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Double post, bordering on triple post.

NAQT HSNCT has a lot of teams, and good questions. It is a major national and deserves that title. You can qualify for HSNCT by placing in the top 15% of any NAQT tournament, or by applying as a wild card based on tournament performance and being accepted.

PACE NSC doesn't have as many teams, but a larger proportion of them are national contenders. It also has good questions, which are slightly longer than NAQT questions, plays a unique three-period format for each game, and deserves the title of major national as well. It has less pop culture, geography, current events, general knowledge, and math calculation than NAQT, and more minor academic subjects. You can qualify for NSC by placing in the top X in a field of Y or more teams at an affiliated tournament.

NAC is run by the NAA, which mostly means Chip Beall and various underlings. It doesn't have good questions, and despite what they want you to think hasn't been a major national since about 2002 or so.

Teams with opportunity, interest, and money should play at least one of HSNCT and NSC. It's understandable that playing both tournaments may not be feasible from either a financial perspective or a missing-school perspective, though I know schools in the area have pulled off two nationals in one year before.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

"Triple Post", AKA Frequently Asked Questions About Formats for Southern California Quizbowlers

1. What is NAQT, and should I play it?
NAQT stands for National Academic Quiz Tournaments. It produces anywhere from 6 to 10 tournament sets a year, depending on demand and the number of active writers writing for them. NAQT's hallmarks are three to five line tossups, blind power marks in tossups, timed rounds, and up to 33% math calculation/geography/pop culture/current events/general knowledge. NAQT also runs the HSNCT, the most well-attended high school national tournament.

You should play NAQT if you like somewhat short pyramidal tossups, a decent-sized dosage of current events/pop culture/math calculation/geography in addition to standard academic fare, and a fast-paced game.

2. What is ACF, and should I play it?
ACF stands for Academic Competition Federation. It produces four sets of college tournaments a year. Although ACF does not produce any sets for high schools, the ACF 20/20 distribution of 4/4 literature, 4/4 history, 4/4 science, 3/3 arts, 2/2 religion/mythology/philosophy, 1/1 geography, 1/1 social science, and 1/1 other is increasing popular with high school tournaments.

You should play ACF if you feel you're ready for college-level tournaments or want to play against college students. In any case, ACF is a college format and you should certainly play it in college, but if a high school tournament is advertising itself as ACF then it's probably an independent tournament (see below) using the ACF distribution.

3. What is PACE, and should I play it?
PACE stands for Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence. It does not produce any regular season tournaments. Only HSAPQ (see below) produces tournament sets resembling the PACE format, which is used at the PACE NSC. The PACE format is a round of related tossups and 20-point bonuses, a "category quiz" containing tossups and 15-point categories where the team gets to choose the topic, and a stretch round containing 30-point bonuses and tossups with 20-point powers.

You should play PACE NSC if you like a relatively small, high-level field, lots of the people on this board, and almost entirely academic content.

4. What is HSAPQ, and should I play it?
HSAPQ stands for High School Pyramid Academic Questions. It produces four regular season tournaments each semester, and unlike NAQT and PACE, does not produce a national tournament. However, HSAPQ membership has a sizable overlap with PACE and similar philosophies. HSAPQ produces two ACF-style sets, one PACE-style set, and one Four Quarter set (see below) each semester.

You should play HSAPQ if you like a high degree of academic content and five-to-six line pyramidal questions in a variety of formats.

5. What are independent tournaments, and should I play them?
Independent tournaments are produced by schools or a few loosely affiliated individuals, instead of companies or organizations. Independent tournaments vary widely in the number of teams, the distribution, the format, and the quality of questions.

Popular reasons for attending independent tournaments include visiting colleges, playing out-of-area teams, and being able to discuss questions within a week of playing the tournament. You should play at least one or two independent tournaments if you can, though the format/distribution/quality of those tournaments is entirely dependent on who is hosting those tournaments and how those qualities line up with your preferences.

6. What is the four quarter format, and should I play it?
The four quarter format consists of four quarters. The most prominent form is a first quarter of tossups, a second quarter of tossups and bonuses, a third quarter with a category round/lightning round/give-and-take round/worksheet, and a fourth quarter with tossups only. Until recently the four quarter format was one of the major formats played across the nation.

While there is nothing inherently bad about the four quarter format, the quality and distribution of these tournaments is extremely variable. Like with independent tournaments, you should play at least one of these tournaments if you can, though the distribution/quality/difficulty will vary from tournament to tournament.

7. Do I have to choose between these formats?
In the sense that you have a limited amount of money to spend and a limited number of dates you can attend tournaments, yes. In theory, no! There is absolutely no rule by any company or organization that prohibits you from playing in tournaments run by their competitors. Of course every company is going to tell you to come to a tournament using their questions over a tournament using someone else's questions, but just about everyone who likes quizbowl will tell you to come to a tournament using a competitor's questions over no tournament at all.

I hope this clears up a few things regarding some of the format confusion. If there's demand for it, I'll post a cleaned-up version to the list. If there are other "frequently asked" questions that people have and that would likely be important for area quizbowlers to know answers to, I'll consider starting a monthly "Ask Dwight" feature on the mailing list.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

ak47
Lulu

Post by ak47 »

As a proponent of mACF quizbowl, I also really don't understand this "WE DONT DO PACE!" attitude either. Does Santa Monica consider the NSC less legitimate than the HSNCT because there are less teams playing? I mean, like, I don't even understand the barrier between NAQT quizbowl and mACF that teams to be experiencing, either. Can you process clues and buzz in on clues that you know? Then congratulations, you can play both NAQT and mACF questions. Sure, the material may be more academic, but I don't see why this is a reason to automatically dismiss other new formats.
Anurag Kashyap
Rancho Bernardo '09
MIT '13
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

ak47 wrote:Can you process clues and buzz in on clues that you know? Then congratulations, you can play both NAQT and mACF questions.
While your intentions are noble, you are forgetting that that is not actually a requisite skill for NAQT.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

Honestly, I don't know why we don't do PACE. The decision was made before my time...
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14

I guess I simply don't understand what "decision" there is to be made here. I still am unsure that you fully understand what Dwight and I are saying PACE is.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

warpoet wrote:Honestly, I don't know why we don't do PACE. The decision was made before my time...
Max, why not attend a tournament and try to qualify and play for PACE NSC?

Also, is there a possibility that you can come to ACF Fall on the 8th?
Zhao Zhang
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

warpoet wrote:Honestly, I don't know why we don't do PACE. The decision was made before my time...
I bet it's not set in stone. Just do well at a tournament, qualify your teams (this will happen automatically), and ask your coach if you can go to the NSC in may
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

But another problem with NSC is that people don't wanna spend their own money on plane tickets, hotel, entrance fee, meals, etc. at NSC, then pay for all that again for NCT (not like it matters for me, I still havent been to either, but still...)
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

The whole concept of PACE, ACF, AL, anything else not NAQT = completely foreign to me. Gaida hasn't ever mentioned it... But I think I understand all that stuff now based on your explanations of the different formats.

Also, when you say x/x, that means tossups/bonuses, correct?
Last edited by warpoet on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

al3xWal3x wrote:
warpoet wrote:This just in: World Series MVP Cole Hamels of the Philadelphia Phillies is an* alumnus of, for ten points, what high school known for its Quiz Bowl program?

WTF, they have a spelling bee champ AND the World Series MVP?!?!? =OOO
Ten points to Arcadia
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Hey, I just heard back from the USC people, and they're going to try to get Trojan Wars off the ground after all. I'm guessing it's going to be in January/February rather than the first weekend of December, but I'll let them make the official date announcement.

Oh, yeah, and since I missed it, X/Y stands for "X tossups and Y bonuses."
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

cvdwightw wrote:Hey, I just heard back from the USC people, and they're going to try to get Trojan Wars off the ground after all."
Very excited to hear that. Since SAMO only does NAQT, it's a bummer to only attend 3 or 4 tournaments a year, counting nationals. And yes, I know there's an obvious solution (rhymes with "slay mother whorehats") but I honestly can't say why we don't do that...
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

warpoet wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:Hey, I just heard back from the USC people, and they're going to try to get Trojan Wars off the ground after all."
Very excited to hear that. Since SAMO only does NAQT, it's a bummer to only attend 3 or 4 tournaments a year, counting nationals. And yes, I know there's an obvious solution (rhymes with "slay mother whorehats") but I honestly can't say why we don't do that...
Just stop not doing it! Problem solved!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

Ukonvasara wrote:
warpoet wrote:
*facepalm* that would be the obvious solution in other words... :roll:
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

warpoet wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
warpoet wrote:
tell me again why this obvious solution won't work?
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

cvdwightw wrote:Hey, I just heard back from the USC people, and they're going to try to get Trojan Wars off the ground after all. I'm guessing it's going to be in January/February rather than the first weekend of December, but I'll let them make the official date announcement.

Oh, yeah, and since I missed it, X/Y stands for "X tossups and Y bonuses."
the Dwight Effect strikes again.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

GARBAGE DAY 183 wrote:
warpoet wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
warpoet wrote:
nowhere near enough cash, is what I'm told
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14

So... don't go to one of those NAQT tournaments and try some other tournament instead. Also, hosting a tournament can work wonders for your budget.

Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

If looking to host a tournament, I'm sure some UCLA people would be willing to help staff. I personally would love to if I'm not already at a tournament and I can get a ride there and back. I would need to know a bit in advance so I can get time off of work.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

warpoet wrote:
GARBAGE DAY 183 wrote:
warpoet wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
warpoet wrote:
nowhere near enough cash, is what I'm told
... why is that a reason to not attend the mACF tournaments being held in SoCal that are about half as cheap (or even cheaper) than the 3-4 NAQT lower quality tournaments that you go to every year?
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

warpoet wrote:nowhere near enough cash, is what I'm told
And people wonder why I'm on this idealistic crusade for lower tournament fees in this region.

Look, if UCLA/UCI/Caltech all moved their base fee down to $80, that's AT LEAST one more tournament that every school could attend.

Again, let me reiterate: way back in the day, we played whatever, regardless of NAQT/mACF/crappy local format questions. We didn't care - it was an opportunity to play. I'm not going to advocate terrible questions, but playing terrible questions is better than not playing. The idea that people are dismissing formats outright would have been heresy* five years ago.

*This was the last such mACF HS/College tournament played in Southern California, and if Matt Weiner's reasoning is correct, the reason why several coaches have anti-ACF sentiments. However, this predated Santa Monica's resurgence on the circuit; in fact, I'm not sure that more than a handful of coaches from that era are still around.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

and because SaMo didnt do ACF before, don't they get in for <$20?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

al3xWal3x wrote:and because SaMo didnt do ACF before, don't they get in for <$20?
Sa Mo is not attending ACF Fall (and registration is, for all intents and purposes, closed, pending resolution of the Arcadia situation). If they chose to attend ACF Winter/Regionals then yes they would be able to attend for no more than $20. These are the only tournaments I know of that have this policy - other mACF high school tournaments do not have such policies.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

On Tonight's Teen Jeopardy, it took Anurag five questions to score. But at the first break he's got $3000...

Anurag wimps out by wagering $1200 on the daily double, gets it right, then names Eskimo as a breed of dog...
And he gets Forever 21... hang your head in shame!

Anurag leads at the end of the Jeopardy round...

At the end of Double Jeopardy, he's got about a $3000 lead

And with a very respectable $13,200 Anurag is moving on! Nice job, man :cool:
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Alvin6226
Lulu

Post by Alvin6226 »

Telephone? :razz: I mean, really? That girl on Anurag's right came close with that last category. Morse was a good guess also. Congrats to Anurag, and nice suit.
Last edited by Alvin6226 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvin Bui
Santa Monica B
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

warpoet wrote:On Tonight's Teen Jeopardy, it took Anurag five questions to score. But at the first break he's got $3000...

Anurag wimps out by wagering $1200 on the daily double, gets it right, then names Eskimo as a breed of dog...
And he gets Forever 21... hang your head in shame!

Anurag leads at the end of the Jeopardy round...

At the end of Double Jeopardy, he's got about a $3000 lead

And with a very respectable $13,200 Anurag is moving on! Nice job, man :cool:
ITT JEOPARDY LIVEBLOG MISSES YOU
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org