Tiger Bowl -- 1/24/2009 -- University of Missouri

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
alexdz
Rikku

Tiger Bowl -- 1/24/2009 -- University of Missouri

Post by alexdz »

After hosting our Fall Academic Tournament, we are very excited to be able to announce our Winter Tiger Bowl on January 24th, 2009. We will be using the ACF-style set #3 written by High School Academic Pyramid Questions, a new company that has been receiving very positive reviews from other tournaments using their sets. We will be guaranteeing at least 5 games for every team.

The entry fees are as follows:
One team will cost $70 to enter
Any additional teams from the same school will cost $60 to enter.
Any team bringing a buzzer system will receive a $5 discount. There will be a maximum of $15 discounted.

Like our fall tournament, this tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players on their roster. Please bear in mind, your school can bring multiple teams if you have more players interested in attending so that everyone gets more chances to play more games.

Right now the field will be capped at 24 teams. If we can find more staffers, we will be willing to expand it if more teams are interested in playing. This tournament will be a qualifier for the 2009 PACE National Scholastics Championship.

Please send your registration information to [email protected]. We hope to see you in Columbia on January 24th, and best of luck to your team this season!

Alex Dzurick
Tiger Bowl co-TD
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Tiger Bowl -- 1/24/2009 -- University of Missouri

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

After running a 12-team round robin, Parkway Central emerged the victors by going 11-0 and clearing the field. Second place team Helias A went 9-2, and third and fourth place teams St. Louis University High School and Fulton both went 8-3, but SLUH won the PPG tiebreaker. The top four scorers were Jason and WIll from Parkway Central, Jasmine from Elsberry, and Stephen from Helias A. Alex and I really thank everyone for making it out and sticking with us for all 11 rounds, which might be the most games offered every team in a tournament in Missouri ever (although Lincoln had to leave at lunch because of an emergency). We welcome all comments, concerns, and gripes, so please post them here or email us. Complete statistics can be found here.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Charlie, explain the 20-point tossups. Did you house-modify the HSAPQ questions for such a "power" mark?

Not a complaint, just curious. I assume it's part of the standard fare for Missouri to have such a point value, and bouncebacks as well?

Looks like you had a great tournament though. Congrats for getting more good quizbowl to Missouri!
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Charlie, explain the 20-point tossups. Did you house-modify the HSAPQ questions for such a "power" mark?

Not a complaint, just curious. I assume it's part of the standard fare for Missouri to have such a point value, and bouncebacks as well?

Looks like you had a great tournament though. Congrats for getting more good quizbowl to Missouri!
I would assume they used the NSC format set instead of the ACF format set as advertised
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yes, we changed our order to the NSC format set to try and offer something a little different with pyramidal questions, because I know I've heard some complaints from teams about the 20/20 format being boring.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White