ANNOUNCEMENT: T-Party Mirror at Maryland (12/07/08)

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

ANNOUNCEMENT: T-Party Mirror at Maryland (12/07/08)

Post by DumbJaques »

(I apologize for the lateness of this announcement, but we were just now able to confirm that we're able to host this).

Maryland will be hosting a mirror of the venerable Harvard T-Party event on December 7, 2008. The tournament specifics will follow all of the guidelines laid out here.

I do not believe that Harvard requires you to write a packet to attend, though I'm sure they would most appreciate it if someone took advantage of the discount and did so (Andy, could you clarify what the deadlines/discounts are for non-required packets).

Fees:
Base fee: $100
Buzzer: -$5/each
Moderator: -$10/each
Minimum Fee: $70

Please email me at [email protected] to register. We hope to see you there.

PS

It is likely that, barring the emergence of a sudden and mysterious side event, this tournament may feature some games of Celtel Africa Challenge following the main event. Prepare accordingly.
Last edited by DumbJaques on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: T-Party Mirror at Maryland (12/06/08)

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Let's say that you can earn a $50 discount by submitting a packet by 11/15/08 and a $25 discount for submitting one by 11/22/08. That sounds fair, no? It's an optional discount, anyway.

Any objections, I'm flexible.

EDIT: I AM INSANE HFT AHHHH
Last edited by Mechanical Beasts on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Watkins
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Let's say that you can earn a $15 discount by submitting a packet by 11/15/08 and a $10 discount for submitting one by 11/22/08. That sounds fair, no? It's an optional discount, anyway.
I cannot possibly imagine anyone would be swayed to write a packet for $10. I'd suggest following the -$50/-$25 used by other events in the past - of course, that really depends on how much you need packets.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

DumbJaques wrote: Moderator: -$19/each
Quoting what looks like a typo so people can gouge Chris Ray for extra discounts.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

DumbJaques wrote:
Let's say that you can earn a $15 discount by submitting a packet by 11/15/08 and a $10 discount for submitting one by 11/22/08. That sounds fair, no? It's an optional discount, anyway.
I cannot possibly imagine anyone would be swayed to write a packet for $10. I'd suggest following the -$50/-$25 used by other events in the past - of course, that really depends on how much you need packets.
Hm. Your logic is sound, sir. I suppose I'm biased by the fact that I pay other people to get to stop writing high school questions. In retrospect my assertion was insane.

-$50/-$25 it is, then. They are, after all, voluntary packets, so this makes sense.
Andrew Watkins
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Bumping for field update and request for registration. We're trying to figure out how many people are interested in this so we can make sure to get enough rooms.

FIELD:
VCU (1 or 2? I can't remember)
MD House
Penn?
Dan Puma and the Bro Rape Pseudonym Fun Squad
Last edited by DumbJaques on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, since VCU's tournament is apparently on the sixth, we're moving this to Sunday, December 7.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: T-Party Mirror at Maryland (12/07/08)

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Now that it's on Sunday, I'll be able to go.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Henry and I have interest in attending, with a tentative agreement from Naren. Humourous team name TBA.

Fourth player sought.
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

DumbJaques wrote:Penn?
This is indeed questionable because it's the week before finals. I'm out, but I'll make sure people know about it. Something tells me Chris won't want to drive to this one though...
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Lapego1 wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:Penn?
This is indeed questionable because it's the week before finals. I'm out, but I'll make sure people know about it. Something tells me Chris won't want to drive to this one though...
Yeah, with the amount of work I have due that Monday, there's basically no way I can come to this even if I wasn't driving. Chances are you can scratch Penn off the list, sorry.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

After a resoundingly not fun experience with the Maryland Scheduling Department, it now appears that they have instituted new rules about registering for rooms within a month of the actual event. They of course did not mention those rules to us, because they were busy bending over backward to award every building on campus for the foreseeable eternity to the local Chinese school where native Chinese speakers inexplicably seem to go to learn Chinese.

Consequentially, I think we're going to have to cancel this tournament, unless in tragicomic fashion we secure rooms at a nearby high scool or something like that. Considering that most people seem to be finaled up right now anyway, I'm not inclined to pursue this, but if you want me to you should probably let me know.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Would-be Maryland attendees: feel free to vent your frustration by writing freelance packets for T-Party.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Hell, if teams want to make last minute travel plans, come on up to the Harvard site and we will give you one billion dollars ($1,000,000,000) for writing a packet.
Andrew Watkins
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

everyday847 wrote:Hell, if teams want to make last minute travel plans, come on up to the Harvard site and we will give you one billion dollars ($1,000,000,000) for writing a packet.
Restatement of Contracts wrote:Restatement (Second) Section 90 -- Promise Reasonably Inducing Action or Forebearance

(1) A promise which the promisor should reasonably expect to induce action or forbearance on the part of the promisee or a third person and which does induce such action or forbearance is binding if injustice can be avoided only by enforcement of the promise. The remedy granted for breach may be limited as justice requires.
(2) A charitable subscription or a marriage settlement is binding under Subsection (1) without proof that the promise induced action or forbearance.
I will write a packet and book tickets.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Hilarius Bookbinder wrote:
everyday847 wrote:Hell, if teams want to make last minute travel plans, come on up to the Harvard site and we will give you one billion dollars ($1,000,000,000) for writing a packet.
Restatement of Contracts wrote:Restatement (Second) Section 90 -- Promise Reasonably Inducing Action or Forebearance

(1) A promise which the promisor should reasonably expect to induce action or forbearance on the part of the promisee or a third person and which does induce such action or forbearance is binding if injustice can be avoided only by enforcement of the promise. The remedy granted for breach may be limited as justice requires.
(2) A charitable subscription or a marriage settlement is binding under Subsection (1) without proof that the promise induced action or forbearance.
I will write a packet and book tickets.
I'm sorry, I can't come to the phone right now because the rest of my team has taken my life in defense of the club's budget.
Andrew Watkins
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

DumbJaques wrote:After a resoundingly not fun experience with the Maryland Scheduling Department, it now appears that they have instituted new rules about registering for rooms within a month of the actual event. They of course did not mention those rules to us, because they were busy bending over backward to award every building on campus for the foreseeable eternity to the local Chinese school where native Chinese speakers inexplicably seem to go to learn Chinese.

Consequentially, I think we're going to have to cancel this tournament, unless in tragicomic fashion we secure rooms at a nearby high scool or something like that. Considering that most people seem to be finaled up right now anyway, I'm not inclined to pursue this, but if you want me to you should probably let me know.
The 2-3 times we tried to play in rooms without having them reserved worked fine. I've found that despite what scheduling says, there will be lots of rooms open during the weekend. Sunday, especially, will have open rooms so long as the building is open (which they should be since it's during the school year).

You could probably get away with hosting the tournament. Just let teams know they might have to move once or twice during the event.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I'm all for that. Also, it doesn't look like a whole lot of teams will be coming, so you wouldn't need that many rooms.
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:The 2-3 times we tried to play in rooms without having them reserved worked fine. I've found that despite what scheduling says, there will be lots of rooms open during the weekend. Sunday, especially, will have open rooms so long as the building is open (which they should be since it's during the school year).

You could probably get away with hosting the tournament. Just let teams know they might have to move once or twice during the event.
I can confirm that the Chinese school was indeed looking to use the small lecture hall on the day of TRASH regionals. They showed up in the middle of the tournament and didn't understand why other people were there.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, is this tournament definitively canceled?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

We are still considering running this, per Mike's input. Teams should know that if we do go ahead with it, there might have to be some aggravating moving around, but I agree that this is not unworkable.

The reason it's still up in the air is I'm not sure who'd actually come. Right now, all I have is UMD House, VCU (how many teams?), and Dan Puma and possibly some friends. Is there anyone else who would come to this event? JSR? George Mason? Princeton? William and Mary? Daichi/Ian/Ike Jose's ubiquitous oversoul? For what it's worth, this tournament is open to non-students as well.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

I wish I could but its final exams.
Ike
UIUC 13
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

We didn't have sufficient interest to make the trip.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

DumbJaques wrote:Right now, all I have is UMD House, VCU (how many teams?), and Dan Puma and possibly some friends.
Greg Peterson has the cojones to run a three to four team tournament. Surely you have Greg-scale cojones.

EDIT: also, I see interest from Henry/Bill/etc. up top.
Andrew Watkins
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

If you move this tournament to my house in Pennsylvania during Christmas break I will play and field a team.
Mike Bentley
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Yes, I forgot Henry/Bill (although could they, and VCU and Puma) confirm they're still interested?

In all seriousness, if there's interest, I'd consider running this at some point in December prior to Christmas (although not at the residence of one Mr. Bentley). It strikes me that everyone currently on the list of registered teams lives in the area during that time, and that a few other people might be added. What does everyone think?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'm sure that some kind of VCU team would go to any tournament held at Maryland or its environs if it happened, but we need to be able to make some sort of plan more than five days in advance, so I'd like either some definitive information on the time and place where this will occur, or an irrevocable decision that the tournament will not occur, rather than "the tournament is canceled unless it isn't" or unresponded-to third-party suggestions to squat in rooms.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

DumbJaques wrote:Yes, I forgot Henry/Bill (although could they, and VCU and Puma) confirm they're still interested?
At this point I'm leaning towards "no".
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:Yes, I forgot Henry/Bill (although could they, and VCU and Puma) confirm they're still interested?
At this point I'm leaning towards "no".
What?
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
closesesame
Wakka

Post by closesesame »

I'd have to agree with Tressler on this.
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Ok, it's not looking like this weekend is particularly likely, so we'll go ahead and call it posptoned. I'd still be interested in running this sometime in December if there's interest - I suppose the possibilities are the next three weekends (weekends of the 13th, 20th, and 27th). We'll see at practice tonight if any or all of these are possibilities for us.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Paragon
Kimahri

Post by Paragon »

If the tournament is held next weekend ( the 13th ) Mason could probably get a team together, it'll all depend if any of my teammates have finals that coming week.
Ricky - George Mason
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

DumbJaques wrote:Ok, it's not looking like this weekend is particularly likely, so we'll go ahead and call it posptoned. I'd still be interested in running this sometime in December if there's interest - I suppose the possibilities are the next three weekends (weekends of the 13th, 20th, and 27th). We'll see at practice tonight if any or all of these are possibilities for us.
Personally, I would prefer the 27th.
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

If it ends up the 20th or 27th and JSarge or VCU ends up going and will bring me, I'd love to play and would be willing to help staff if necessary.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

If it ends up being the 27th we should write a Christmas theme packet.
Andrew Watkins
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:If it ends up the 20th or 27th and JSarge or VCU ends up going and will bring me, I'd love to play and would be willing to help staff if necessary.
I think we're going to try to get a room at the Tuckahoe Library and read the packets as a holiday party there.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:If it ends up the 20th or 27th and JSarge or VCU ends up going and will bring me, I'd love to play and would be willing to help staff if necessary.
I think we're going to try to get a room at the Tuckahoe Library and read the packets as a holiday party there.
Nevermind, then. 5 minutes from my house is much better than 2+ hours away.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I would maybe be interested in a tournament on the 27th.
Mike Bentley
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Despite the fact that the T party set briefly went up this evening, there does seem to be some interest in running this on the weekend of the 27th/28th.

Since nobody is going to be in anywhere near hardcore mode during the holidays, we're thinking of running this mostly as a get-together for local quizbowl people - we'd love the regulars from the metro area (and hey, wherever!) to be able to get together, play some quizbowl, perhaps order some food, and enjoy some Celtel Africa Challenge or quizbowl basketball or whatever people want to do.

So, for the people who posted interest, I'd appreciate you if you could contact me regarding your availability on either the 27th or 28th. As incentive, I will wear one piece of holiday attire on the day of the event for every team that contacts me in the next week.

Hope everyone's enjoying finals.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

DumbJaques wrote:Despite the fact that the T party set briefly went up this evening
Yeah, sorry about this. I wasn't sure about the status of the mirror/ whether it was going to be casual in the sense of, like, telling people not to look at the packets, or what.
Andrew Watkins
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Yeah, we are at the very least equally to blame for that, having not communicated with you definitively. Thanks for the prompt response.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

DumbJaques wrote:Despite the fact that the T party set briefly went up this evening, there does seem to be some interest in running this on the weekend of the 27th/28th.

Since nobody is going to be in anywhere near hardcore mode during the holidays, we're thinking of running this mostly as a get-together for local quizbowl people - we'd love the regulars from the metro area (and hey, wherever!) to be able to get together, play some quizbowl, perhaps order some food, and enjoy some Celtel Africa Challenge or quizbowl basketball or whatever people want to do.

So, for the people who posted interest, I'd appreciate you if you could contact me regarding your availability on either the 27th or 28th. As incentive, I will wear one piece of holiday attire on the day of the event for every team that contacts me in the next week.

Hope everyone's enjoying finals.
Is this happening at Maryland on the 27th and not in Richmond on the 20th? That would be great for me.
Mike Bentley
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

DumbJaques wrote:quizbowl basketball
I am SO in.
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Our plans are for Maryland on the 27th.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Over in the now possibly purposeless T-Party discussion thread, people are wondering if they ought to discuss the set and just hope that people in Maryland don't read it. (Granted, half of them still thinks the tournament is happening in Matt Weiner's house, and half of me is only half-sure that it's not.) In short: we'd like some combination Matt and Chris word on whether your tournament(s) will be played on honor. Totally cool if otherwise.
Andrew Watkins
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

I might be interested in doing this on the 27th.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I think this is probably going to be run. It seems like there's a decent enough chance of people showing up; at the very least, we can just pool everyone together and form some teams and do whatever. That being said, I think it's stupid to torpedo the set discussion for a mostly informal tournament anyway, whether or not it's set to happen. I'd recommend people just steer clear of the discussion thread.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I will be staffing this tournament and will be happy to re-arrange some of questions in the packets to accomodate people who submitted free lance questions that were used throughout the tournament.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Jeaton1
Wakka

Post by Jeaton1 »

Nevermind, our scheduling contact has apparently refused to reserve any rooms for the week after Christmas, despite the fact that we this time conformed with the perhaps fictional 3-week claim period. This tournament is cancelled; I really wish we could have run it. If somebody else in the area wants to look into hosting it (perhaps in a venue housing a larger amount of people than Matt Weiner's house or the library), Maryland would assuredly send a team or two.
Jeremy Eaton
Maryland Academic Quiz Team
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Well I certainly am shocked at this turn of events.

We don't have any way to accommodate a large number of outside-of-Richmond people for what I'm planning; my best suggestion is to just have a similar concept in your local area at a home or public library.
Matt Weiner