Call for workshop proposals: Bootcamp 2009

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
First Chairman
Auron

Call for workshop proposals: Bootcamp 2009

Post by First Chairman »

This is a general call for individuals who would like to present a topic at the next PACE Bootcamp. We have not yet set the date, though I suspect that date will be chosen in late July to early August as it happened last year.

I am looking to expand our topics slightly and incorporate sessions of mentored question-writing.

To that end, I am fielding self-nominations for mentors and faculty for the 2008 Bootcamp. All nominations will be vetted by a small group of PACE members who are interested in organizing this event.

We cannot cover transportation for attendees or faculty, but sponsorships by companies or non-profit organizations to send individuals to this event are encouraged.
Last edited by First Chairman on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
First Chairman
Auron

Readers and moderators

Post by First Chairman »

Proposal: Playtesting day: Reading pyramidal questions workshop (day 2)

I. How to be a better reader? (didactic and discussion)
II. The challenge of reading timed rounds.
III. How writers/editors make readers' jobs harder or easier.
IV. Should readers be credentialed?
Last edited by First Chairman on Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
First Chairman
Auron

Professionalism?

Post by First Chairman »

A session proposal (while I'm thinking about):

What is professionalism (when it comes to quiz bowl)?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Assuming I'm in town, I'm happy to be involved with this to any degree (just doing my lecture deal from last time, possibly doing something else, or helping to organize, etc.)

I still register the opinion that, given the overwhelming need for events like these that improve writing and question quality appreciation, particularly among younger players, it's not really worth it to spend more than a passing second on discussing how to read quizbowl questions. It just doesn't seem that important, and doesn't seem like a good use of our time given all we were able to do last year.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, perhaps, but a discussion how to teach others how to read questions is a concern. Besides, I'm not sure we have all had that discussion on exactly how good we are or can be as readers. I'm sure :chip: thinks he's an awesome reader (and he might be)...

Given that a lot of readers can get very frustrated with words and names which they may not be familiar, I do know this is an area that many people have always griped to me about.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Okay personally, I wouldn't mind having some coaching on getting better at reading. I just hope I can work it out so that I can come this year... and as Chris said, question writing can be on the slate also..
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I'll assure everyone question-writing will be the uniting focus of the workshop anyway (and as for dates, make sure you vote in the poll above until it disappears). However, it's important to know that quality questions depend on the research, the editing, the distribution, and the delivery, so all of these areas I would like to get aired at some point. Tennessee Williams may be an awesome playwright, but you need the right person to read his words to effectively make the story work.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
mknupp
Lulu

Post by mknupp »

I would be happy to help in any way you would like.

Matt Knupp
Russell HS, KY
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Re: Call for workshop proposals: Bootcamp 2008 (8/1 to 8/3)

Post by ClemsonQB »

Where is this held and what exactly is it?
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

We have not set up an exact venue yet, but it will be in the DC area. It is essentially a series of workshops on writing pyramidal questions for high school and college competitions; running competitions; and reading questions. There will likely be other topics that we have not covered yet.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Oh alright, thanks
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Byko
Yuna

Re:

Post by Byko »

mknupp wrote:I would be happy to help in any way you would like.

Matt Knupp
Russell HS, KY
Matt, a couple of PACE folks (namely Dr. Chuck and my wife Jessie) will be coming up to Lexington, Kentucky to do a modified, single-day form of the Bootcamp in early June (June 5 or 6, I believe). Will you happen to be there? With your experience, I'm sure the three of you all could have some great discussion beneficial to the future of this initiative.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
J C Bennett
Lulu

Post by J C Bennett »

David,

Friday June 6, 9:30 AM, at the Holiday Inn-North in Lexington.

I meant to tell Dr. Chuck this: we'd more than welcome folks from other states, but they'd need to give us advance notice so we could get a lunch count.
John Bennett, KAAC
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

J C Bennett wrote:David,

Friday June 6, 9:30 AM, at the Holiday Inn-North in Lexington.

I meant to tell Dr. Chuck this: we'd more than welcome folks from other states, but they'd need to give us advance notice so we could get a lunch count.
Hi John,

I personally will not be there because of responsibilities at work and the fact that I'll be down at Panasonic for about half of the next week. Dr. Chuck and my wife Jessie will be out there, though--the three of us had a big planning session a couple weeks ago to work on getting slides and presentation order and topics together.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
J C Bennett
Lulu

Post by J C Bennett »

Great--if PACE wants to put out a general announcement, that's fine with us. Like I said, I'd just need a head count.
John Bennett, KAAC
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

J C Bennett wrote:Great--if PACE wants to put out a general announcement, that's fine with us. Like I said, I'd just need a head count.
What's the general contact information and deadlines?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
J C Bennett
Lulu

Post by J C Bennett »

Me - I'd need to have a number about a week ahead of time. My contact info. is my email sig.
John Bennett, KAAC
ahunt
Lulu

Post by ahunt »

Is there going to be a KY session this year?

Allison Hunt
duPont Manual HS
Louisville, KY
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I have not been contacted about another presentation.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Any chances of doing one of these in the Chicago area? Illinois needs you! :smile:
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I may be interested in this if you give me lots of specific information about what it offers and what it involves from me to take part.

Is this something from which both players and coaches would benefit?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
First Chairman
Auron

Re: Call for workshop proposals: Bootcamp 2009

Post by First Chairman »

Speaking just for me... Let us know when IHSA/IHSSBCA (whatever abbrev) wants to hold something like that. It may be worthwhile to get something together. Maybe even during any of the major summer events in Chicagoland if someone wants to step up. I'm sure I can find some of the PACE folks who like organizing such events together to plan something if we give ourselves enough time to do it (not to mention the financial aspects). We clearly do have people who are knowledgeable (if not just strictly opinionated :cool: ) on topics that affect the quality of the game who might enjoy such an opportunity to teach others.

As for something near East Coast, I'm sure we can think about it. When we ran the pilot in 2007, the intention was to have coaches and players from high school and college benefit. One day was devoted to writing questions with an intention for more time to have small-group workshopping (no more than 8 total people per group) and collaboration. In the ideal world, the second day would be about playing those questions and running tournaments.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Does the venue matter? If people are willing to make their own motel and transportation reservations, we could do it here at Loyola Academy--I would just need to check dates and make sure that the facilities are available.

I'm not sure David Reinstein reads this forum but I'm sure he would want to be in on this too, and we might attract coaches, etc. from the surroundng states as well. Let me check with David and see if we can do some promotion chatter.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

David Riley wrote:Does the venue matter? If people are willing to make their own motel and transportation reservations, we could do it here at Loyola Academy--I would just need to check dates and make sure that the facilities are available.

I'm not sure David Reinstein reads this forum but I'm sure he would want to be in on this too, and we might attract coaches, etc. from the surroundng states as well. Let me check with David and see if we can do some promotion chatter.
In my mind, it certainly wouldn't. We've done it before at Gonzaga, but in doing any sort of prepared presentations, breakout sessions, and/or other similar activities in this vein, I can't think of any venue that wouldn't work for this purpose.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

It's hard to know how many people would show up, but I probably would be there it if it was in the Chicagoland Area, and IHSSBCA could easily put an article promoting it in our May newsletter and on our website.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
First Chairman
Auron

Re: Call for workshop proposals: Bootcamp 2009

Post by First Chairman »

Agreeing with Bykowski in the venue aspect of things... it may be even easier (certainly cheaper) to do it at a school, depending on how extensive a program one wants to do. The smaller rooms in a school make it possible for breakouts. I suppose it would be nice to have coffee, but depending on who we get, having everyone pay a small fee ahead of time to defray costs of cleanup and food (we'll all order pizza or something) would be the way to do it.

Jessie is the person in charge of outreach activities and has a lot of experience organizing such workshops (as I also have), so she would likely be the lead contact to organize the workshops. From our own experiences with our respective organizations, it is good for the sustainability of the circuit to have us have more involved beyond just hosting tournaments.

(Deleted poll since it's not relevant.)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---