Interest in a Science Side Tournament at Cardinal Classic?

Old college threads.

Are you interested in this?

I would help write/edit such a tournament (specify name and preferred subdistributions in thread)
16%
I would help write/edit if needed, but would prefer to play
34%
I would play such a tournament, but not write
34%
I have no interest in such a tournament
16%

Total votes: 32

cvdwightw
Auron

Interest in a Science Side Tournament at Cardinal Classic?

Post by cvdwightw »

So, after a bunch of talk and no action, I'm going to throw this out. People, it seems, want a science tournament. Cardinal Classic seems to be the nearest (in time) logical place to run such a tournament.

To avoid several of the problems that have come up regarding: doing Science Monstrosity is really hard, I've decided that the best way to run it is a maximum of 10 rounds of 15/0 divided as follows:

3/0 biology (max 1 question per round on psychobiology/cognitive neuroscience/similar, this would likely be no more than 3 questions over the whole tournament)
3/0 physics
3/0 chemistry
1/0 additional biology, physics or chemistry
1/0 math
1/0 CS
1/0 Earth Science
1/0 Astronomy
1/0 additional minor science or interdisciplinary science or philosophy/history of science or engineering or other science-related topics

For this to happen, I'd need several co-authors, 'cause there's no way I'm writing 150 science tossups by myself, and if I am you're getting some downright awful questions in a few areas. Therefore I'm looking for any collaborators that would be willing to split writing/editing duties. If I can get 5 co-authors (especially in areas where I suck, like Earth Science and CS), then writing 25 science tossups apiece and collaborative editing over the next 2 months or so should be manageable. More collaborators would allow people to become more specialized, which is always a good thing.

I'm willing to consider any distributional changes, too, if people think a topic is over or underrepresented.

EDIT: What the heck, 3/3/3/1 makes more sense than anything else.
Last edited by cvdwightw on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
vcuEvan
Auron

Re: Interest in a Science Side Tournament at Cardinal Classic?

Post by vcuEvan »

If you are willing to go without science for the rest of the year you may have this.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I will write computer science questions for this. Any other contributions I make to the set will be unsystematic.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

That is a lot of biology compared to everything else.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:That is a lot of biology compared to everything else.
Agreed. Is there some reason for not doing 3 bio, 3 physics, 3 chem, and 1 more bio/chem/physics?

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

setht wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:That is a lot of biology compared to everything else.
Agreed. Is there some reason for not doing 3 bio, 3 physics, 3 chem, and 1 more bio/chem/physics?

-Seth
As a scientist, I concur.

Also, as me, I'll add that I'll play this if we can get to Cardinal Classic (which is looking good so far.)

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

We would love to play IF we're going, but if we're not we'll still help write. In fact, one person at Caltech volunteered to help write and knows he can't come.
Our specialities:
Micah - Bio, organic chem, math?
Matthew - Geo, Astro
Brandon - Physics, math?

So, I'll try to figure out if we're going. What would you like us to write?

Micah
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

setht wrote:

-Seth
The reason for doing 2 chem instead of 3 is that after looking at the "changing the science distribution?" topic, I think it might be worthwhile to see how a tournament with less chemistry is received. If people think that there should be 3/3/3, then I can just up packet count to 16/0.

There really isn't a good reason for the extra biology question, so I'll change that.

EDIT: Well, 3/3/3/1 makes the most sense, so that's changed.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

If this happens, my desire to attend CC will know no bounds.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

I don't know if you got my email reply but I can help to write this, especially since I probably wont be attending CC anyways.
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I currently have four people, other than myself, plus various Caltech people (let me know who is coming and who will write), that are willing to write in some capacity. The good news is that some of these people are pretty new to question writing, so that's encouraging. The bad news is that some of these people are pretty new to question writing, and I'm not confident in my science-editing ability, so while I can now guarantee that this tournament will happen in some form, I can't guarantee that it will meet the high standards of the people playing in it. I'd like at least one or two more people, including someone with actual science editing experience that I can consistently ask stuff like "Is this clue too early?".

Arnav has indicated to me that, should this tournament happen (and it should), it would take place on Sunday, so we have a place for it.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

ulls66
Lulu

Post by ulls66 »

cvdwightw wrote:I'd like at least one or two more people, including someone with actual science editing experience that I can consistently ask stuff like "Is this clue too early?".
I'd be able to help with this.
Andrew Ullsperger
Unrestricted Free Agent
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Unfortunately, there's no option for "I'm neither interested in writing nor playing, but am entirely willing to read it at the tournament."
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Since this would be held on Sunday I don't think anyone at Mizzou would be able to play even if we wanted to.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

ulls66 wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:I'd like at least one or two more people, including someone with actual science editing experience that I can consistently ask stuff like "Is this clue too early?".
I'd be able to help with this.
Hey, thanks. I don't have your e-mail address, so I would much appreciate it if you could send me an e-mail indicating in what capacities you'd like to help (writing or just critiquing). EDIT: it might be useful to post my e-mail address. dpwynne at gmail dot com
rylltraka wrote:Unfortunately, there's no option for "I'm neither interested in writing nor playing, but am entirely willing to read it at the tournament."
Unfortunately, I was mostly concerned with whether or not I would get enough co-authors and whether or not there would be interest in playing it, so that poll option never crossed my mind. Thanks for volunteering to staff.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org