South Carolina 2008-2009

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ClemsonQB
Tidus

South Carolina 2008-2009

Post by ClemsonQB »

08-09 in SC will be very similiar to the 07-08 year in that only around 4 teams will be competitive outside their region (unless another team like Southside appears out of nowhere).

(The following are in no particular order other than alphabetical)

Dorman A- Last year's juniors look to improve their 4th place finish at HSNCT

Dorman B- Last year's sophmores look to build on a strong season including a third place finish at Robinson Spring (PACE set), 2nd place finish at Brookwood JV and a first place finish at Spartanburg HS's varsity tournament. These (former) sophmores need to do a lot of work, but they will be competitive nationally if they do.

James Island- Only Ryan graduates, leaving the two highest scorers, Travis and Rafe, to carry on the tradition. Hopefully JI will be able to attend HSNCT next year where I can definately see them making the playoffs and winning a couple of games.

Southside- This team made alot of noise in the SE last year, especially considering I had never heard of them before 2008. Their A team of all sophmores(?) won Brookwood JV and placed second at both the Dorman Season Ender and Spartanburg's varsity tournament. I would say this team would have most likely been able to make the playoffs at HSNCT last year and hopefully they will continue to improve.

Others (Schools that seem to be fairly active in the state)
Aiken
Irmo
Fort Mill
Spartanburg
North Myrtle Beach
Last edited by ClemsonQB on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
scquizbowl
Wakka

Re: South Carolina 2008-2009

Post by scquizbowl »

George, I am not graduating. I am going to be a junior, as that was part of my signature which is required on this site. Joe, Rafe, and Travis are coming back, and we will probably have Eli, also, who came to NAC and knew several math questions.

I just wanted to correct what you said about us.

Joe Wright- James Island Academic Team member
Joe
James Island '10
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

George,
Will your B team be the same sophomores that competed at Chattahoochee JV and UGA Spring JV last year?
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:George,
Will your B team be the same sophomores that competed at Chattahoochee JV and UGA Spring JV last year?
Yes, although one or two could potentially move up or down. As of now the remaining sophmores are Masuma, Azissa, Gregory, Anuj and John if that means anything to you.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Yeah I don't know their names, but we had some competitive matches against them last year.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Xerxes
Lulu

Post by Xerxes »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:Yeah I don't know their names, but we had some competitive matches against them last year.
As badly as I wanted to, we never faced them.
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

North Myrtle Beach has all of our players returning from last year. We are traveling to 10 tounaments next year including a possible one in Virginia so we may qualify for HSNCT
Last edited by sabine01 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Small typo fix.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Rikku

To reinforce George's statment about Southside this team is simply unbelieveable and definitely do good in the SE next year the only problem is that most teams have years experience on them.

Dorman will be great next year with thier A team not too sure on the B team though.

James Island still always brings great competition and by next year I personally believe they may be able to compete with the big boys (Dorman, Walter Johnson, Stuy).

Many other teams that are within South Carolina are also on the rise, Irmo seems the most prepared and should soon start competing outside the region.
Zach Foster
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

At Wofford this weekend, Southside won, and James Island finished 2nd, in a very close match being decided by a tiebreaker on the second question of the match, with JI just saying their answer out of time. JI was without two of its top four players, and they still finished 2nd.

Irmo finished 7-1, losing in the playoffs to Southside, and they scored 398 points per game.

Other South Carolina teams:

Greenville- 3-2, averaged 170 points a game, lost to James Island.

Thomas Jefferson Christian Academy (Rutherfordton, NC, JV) 2-3, averaged 138 a game, B team, 0-6.

Eastside- A team 4-2, B team 1-4.

Chapman- Finished 0-5.

Spartanburg- finished 4-2, went to the semi-finals.

Boiling Springs- finished 3-3.

Greenville B- finished 2-4.
Joe
James Island '10
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Well, as we go into the month of December, many things have happened around the state of South Carolina. Dorman has been knocked off at a couple tournaments, Southside has grown into almost a state power, and James Island won the biggest tournament in the Southeast.

James Island has only lost four games on the year so far, all in the finals or semifinals of tournaments, and so has Dorman, I believe. Southside won the Wofford tournament, and proved at Brookwood, by making the quarterfinals, that they are a team to be reckoned with in the Southeast.

The University of South Carolina is holding their tournament this weekend, but JI (along with several other teams, possibly) will not be able to go because of SAT conflicts.

In the Pee Dee (Florence) area, there is a whole different league of teams playing, as 23 schools take part in the Pee Dee Education Center Academic Challenge, along with 27 middle schools. It all ends in February, with the Pee Dee Academic Challenge competition at Francis Marion University, with lots of recognition from the area.

High school schedule
http://www.pdec.net/public_forms/High%2 ... -08%20.doc

Middle school schedule
http://www.pdec.net/public_forms/schedu ... vision.doc

Anybody that is holding a tournament in this state, please try to send invitations to these schools so that they can join us at tournaments like Dorman and others.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Irmo, Southside Christian, Southside, and all the other teams at the USC Challenge yesterday were awesome. I wish I could say the same about the tournament itself, specifically the questions. Although I am an alum of USC and someone who has been and continues to be involved with their Academic Team, I am speaking for myself. Since there seemed to be some confusion, I thought I would try to explain how the tournament was organized and why, say, the questions were as bad as they were.

The USC Challenge is a unique event in the world of quizbowl; I can't think of any others that are quite like it. Basically, since at least 12 years ago and probably well before then, an honor fraternity at USC has put on the USC Challenge. They get some professors and other university faculty to get involved as readers and stuff, buy questions from a vendor, and boom, you have a USC Challenge. Sporadically, the fraternity has asked the Academic Team at USC to help staff the tournament and in some years they have given the team a decent amount of money for doing so. Such was the case this year, and given the travel freeze the USC team is currently experiencing, it was greatly appreciated.

Besides doing a little staffing, the Academic Team has practically nothing to do with organizing the event. Indeed, if it were up to the Academic Team, the questions would be HSAPQ or NAQT, or house-written pyramidal questions, and moderators wouldn't be re-reading EVERY SINGLE TOSSUP question if the other team buzzed in and missed it. The organizing of the tournament is done by the fraternity that runs it. They and the faculty volunteers mean well, and they are truly interested in putting on a good event. However, they know nothing about good quizbowl. This is evident in the choice of questions.

I was told that the questions for the USC Challenge were bought from a company called Triple Q. The Academic Team was given a copy of the questions by the fraternity in the week before the tournament, and needless to say, we thought that they were bad. Really bad. We tried to re-write as many of the questions as we could in the week before the tournament, but the set was beyond salvaging from a quality standpoint. About an hour before the tournament started, there was an editing session in which faculty members, as well as myself and Bryn Reinecke, were allowed to participate. I wrote about 30 replacement questions that weren't terribly good but were a vast improvement over all of the questions that Triple Q initially provided. A handful of my submissions were incorporated, but most of them were rejected for no good reason other than that it's hard to edit a quizbowl tournament by committee.

Anyway, the questions were awful. They were the worst questions I've ever seen for a quizbowl tournament at any level in my 12 years of involvement in the game. Repeats, one-liners, hoses, horrible answer selection, pathetic distribution, false information, bad grammar, and laughably uneven difficulty were just a few of the many defects of just about every single question. I'll probably edit the qb wiki to talk about Triple Q, but among the highlights for those who weren't at the tournament were "How many years did Cats run on Broadway", "What year was the National Endowment of the Arts established", a tossup on the Scottish poet William Douglas, at least 5 questions on Henry James, no questions on any religions except Judaism or Christianity, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, myself and the Academic Team will do what we can to improve this tournament in the future. We will tell the organizers our problems with the questions and try to fill them in on what good quizbowl is all about. We will inform them of the importance of using good questions and point them to NAQT, HSAPQ, and offer to write the tournament ourselves. If they decide that they must go with the cheapest bidder, we will undercut whatever bid they get if it's from a company like Triple Q.

The ultimate problem is that the Academic Team's hands are tied. This event is going to happen regardless of what we do, and we have almost no say in how it's run. We have done what we could in the past to make it a little better, and we are going to become much more proactive in the future about improving its quality. We will keep you all posted as to who is going to be supplying the questions next year so that, if another bad supplier of questions is chosen, you can spend your resources on higher quality events. In the meantime, we are going to do everything we can to host a tournament of our own in the spring. The questions will be high quality and pyramidal. If any of you are interested in such an event, please contact me at [email protected]. Thanks for coming to USC yesterday; I hope that in the future it will be the home of much better tournaments.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Hmm I wonder what state Triple Q is located...
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

I'm sorry about that at the tournament. Triple Q has been doing the USC questions for many years, at least a decade, as every year that our coach has gone to pick up the questions, they have been Triple Q.

They do ask some weird things inside the questions, like the one about the T-shirt. Also, their games have much less scoring than regular quiz bowl, with the 15 or 20 toss-up questions and one bonus per question, making for some weird scores like 15-0, 50-25, and 70-30.

They do put a good job running the tournament (forget the name of the guy running it), and the moderators have done it forever.

It's sad that it has to be that way for most of the Pee Dee teams, the Fox Creeks, and others, who only go to a couple tournaments a year.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
Sonic the Hedgehog and the Fox
Wakka

Post by Sonic the Hedgehog and the Fox »

scquizbowl wrote:They do ask some weird things inside the questions, like the one about the T-shirt.
That clue about "The Boat Song" has never helped me/us. Ever. EVER.

And extremely off-the-wall authors who must be pet favorites of the question writers come up with too much frequency.Obscure authors are the :bees: of Triple Q.

Prediction: Dai Sijie's Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress comes up, and the lead-in is about how the ending of the film version (directed by Dai Sijie, written by Dai Sijie, and produced by Dai Sijie) is a ripoff of Titanic.

Edit: Linguistic conventions, such as verbs.
Rafe Haddox
Ex-James Island '09 (you can email me for details, if you'd like)
Tiocfaidh ár lá!
Rikku

Thank god we didn't head to USC. Honestly we were supposed to head to 4 tournaments already, but they got cancelled at the last minute. We already won our county, and hopefully our first tournament is on Jan 10th at Savannah.
Zach Foster
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Well, we are at Chattahoochee at the tournament, this weekend. Dorman will also be there, along with Southside, perhaps. James Island, on the other hand, will have one of its top players missing, as he had a conflict this weekend.

Very few other teams from the state will be playing, as this is mostly an open weekend in the South except for Chattahoochee.

Great win by Irmo over Southside Christian at USC.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
Wakka

scquizbowl wrote:James Island, on the other hand, will have one of its top players missing, as he had a conflict this weekend.
This isn't strictly true.

I was forbidden from going due to a conflict with a teacher, a conflict that was resolved today. It had to do with an IB Oral commentary.
Rafe Haddox
Tiocfaidh ár lá!
Auron

Potential USC Spring Tournament

Hello everyone. The USC Academic Team is looking to hold a spring tournament on HSAPQ questions. I think most of you on this board are familiar with HSAPQ, but for those of you who aren’t, it is a new question writing group that produces pyramidal, academic question sets for high schools. A sample set is located here: http://hsapq.com/sample.html
. For disclosure purposes, I write for them.

Anyway, I’ve looked over the schedules of upcoming high school tournaments, spring breaks, USC’s team schedule, etc., and have arrived at 4 possible dates for the USC spring event. The dates are:

2/14
2/21
4/18
4/25

Feel free to post on this board or email me at [email protected] if you have any preferences or lack thereof regarding the dates posted. An official announcement will come out in the next few weeks.
Eric D.
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Well, there are no tournaments inside the state of SC this weekend, but many teams from around the SE will go to Berry College this weekend in Georgia.

Next week, Charleston County play starts at Burke High School, and last night, play started in the Pee Dee area, with 11 matches, including Wilson, Dillon, and many other teams. Here is the schedule for the rest of the season.

http://www.pdec.net/public_forms/High%2 ... -08%20.doc

Dorman will be the only team from SC at the Berry tournament, but many teams are preparing for the rest of the season, including the QUEST competition on March 14 at Trident Technical College.

Also, does anybody have pictures of our team? We need them for a class.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Just a quick reminder that Dorman High School will be hosting the NAQT SC State Championship on March 7. If you have any questions, or would like to register, email me...

Tournament thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7211

Thanks!
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Auron

I've updated the announcement regarding the Academic Team at USC's Spring Tournament. Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7132 . Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions or would like to register.
Eric D.
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Well, Charleston County play has been going on for the last few weeks, and James Island has done very well, having an undefeated record of 8-0 (not allowing more than 23 points in a game), going into playoffs (which began for most of the rest of the teams last week). This tournament has had some haphazard scheduling, as the person running it at first didn't put us in the tournament, simply because she e-mailed something to the principals of the schools, and our coach didn't get it.

Also, one week, we got there at around 6, and that afternoon, without notifying our coach, decided to put another game at 5:45 that was unbeknownst to us. I had to play Burke (the worst team in the league) by my self, and I got about 20 points or so.

The playoffs are still going on, and the championships will be held March 3, I believe, at the County School Board at 75 Calhoun St. in Charleston.

In the Pee Dee, the regular season is almost over, and teams are getting ready for the Pee Dee Academic Challenge at Francis Marion University, which will be going on soon.

Lowcountry teams are preparing for the QUEST academic competition at Trident Technical College (which will be held March 14).

Here is a link to the Pee Dee results. http://www.pdec.net/acdemic_challenge.htm I think we will be able to go to the USC tournament (but we have to check our schedules)

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
Rikku

So the field for teams at HSNCT from South Carolina looks like this:

Dorman
Eastside
North Myrtle Beach

Any ideas on who might else go from South Carolina, and if James Island will go to HSNCT this year instead of the :chip: 'ers tournament?
Zach Foster
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Well, New Orleans NAC conflicts with PACE NSC, but neither of the other two phases (including the final four) conflict with either NSC or HSNCT, so a team could conceivably go to all three tournaments if they wanted to/could afford it/really need to go to Plagiarized Bad Question Bowl for whatever reason.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Wakka

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:So the field for teams at HSNCT from South Carolina looks like this:

Dorman
Eastside
North Myrtle Beach

Any ideas on who might else go from South Carolina, and if James Island will go to HSNCT this year instead of the :chip: 'ers tournament?
It's March, man. Calm down. Trust me, if JI registers for HSNCT, you'll know, either from myself, Joe, or the grapevine.

However, in my heart of heart of hearts, I'd like to go to the NSC. In regards to money...I'm not privvy to this information.
Rafe Haddox
Tiocfaidh ár lá!
KoH
Lulu

Post by KoH »

We only have money for one national tournament this year, and we are probably going to the NSC.
Ming Lin
Southside High School 2010
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Well, that's too bad Ming, you are a great team, and you'd do well at NAQT. I don't know what national we're going to.

Last Saturday, at Trident Technical College in North Charleston, thousands of students from grades 6-12 competed in the 23rd annual QUEST competition. The competition starts with a 75 quetion test for everyone in Science, Social Studies, and Math, then includes a buzzer competition where usually, hundreds of questions are asked.

Also, there is a competition for Public Speaking, Composition, and Visual Arts, but these subjects don't count as much as Science, Social Studies, and Math.

This year's competition was spirited, with more than 45 middle schools, and around 20 high schools competing.

The winners of the competition were:

Level I (grade 6): 1st Place: Fort Johnson Middle School
2nd Place: Rollings Middle School for the Arts
3rd Place: College Park Middle School

Level II (grades 7-8): 1st Place: Oakbrook Middle School
2nd Place: Rollings Middle School for the Arts
3rd Place: Charleston County School of the Arts

Level III (grades 9-10): 1st Place: Wando High School
2nd Place: Summerville High School
3rd Place: Academic Magnet High School

Level IV (grades 11-12): 1st Place: Wando High School
2nd Place: Academic Magnet High School
3rd Place: Stratford High School

James Island's Rafe, Travis, and Joe won the Social Studies level 4 competition, getting 595 points, beating Magnet and Stratford.

This weekend, the Vanderbilt tournament occurs in Nashville, but most SC teams will be at the Crusader Cup at North Greenville University.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Last Saturday at the Pee Dee Academic Challenge middle school tournament, which was held at Francis Marion University in Florence, there were 27 teams from around the Pee Dee area, and several teams did well.

The winner of Division I were Williams Middle School in Florence, and Lake City Middle (a combined team of Ronald McNair and Truluck middle schools) was second.

In Division II, the winner was Johnsonville Middle, and Latta Middle was second.

This weekend, they will be holding the high school tournament at Francis Marion, as Wilson is the favorite to win.

These people made the Academic Challenge team from Truluck: Alex Luna, Christian Luna, John Shaw, Angelica Davis, Aaron Shown, Thomas Truluck, Laneisha Brown, and Marquise McFadden.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
Auron

Just wanted to remind anyone on the board that the USC Spring Tournament is coming up on April 18. We'll be taking registrations into the week before the tournament.

All tournament details and field updates are at the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7132&start=0

Contact me at ericd25 at hotmail dot com to register.
Eric D.
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

The University of South Carolina tournament is this weekend, as Parson Smirk posted the list of the teams involved. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7132

Any updates on the USC tournament? Most of South Carolina was on spring break last week, as all the athletic teams didn't play except for spring break games, but we are back at school today.

We will be most likely going to NAC-New Orleans for nationals this year, as our county gave us an automatic bid for winning and is paying for our trip. That county will be honoring us at a meeting sometime this month or next month, or maybe tonight. Like Southside, I think we only have money for 1 national tournament. I wish we could go to NAQT/PACE though, but NAC it is, most likely.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
Auron

As a member of PACE, I should say that it would be cool if you guys (and all qualifying SC teams) went to NSC. After seeing you all play at the NAQT state championship, I can say that James Island would do very well at NSC, and I'm sure the other SC teams will as well.

As far as the USC tournament, there aren't any real updates. We have 13 teams, and it's looking like an excellent field from top to bottom. I'm going to send out a reminder e-mail to everyone today or tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out a way to schedule the tournament with 13 teams. If anyone has suggestions, I'm open.
Eric D.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

scquizbowl wrote:We will be most likely going to NAC-New Orleans for nationals this year, as our county gave us an automatic bid for winning and is paying for our trip. That county will be honoring us at a meeting sometime this month or next month, or maybe tonight. Like Southside, I think we only have money for 1 national tournament. I wish we could go to NAQT/PACE though, but NAC it is, most likely.
Any chance you could get them to change that funding to one of the two legitimate national championships?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Auron

Dorman signed up with a C team at the USC tournament, so the field is now closed with 14 teams.
Eric D.
Auron

Actually, I'm a moron. The C team brings the tournament to 13 teams. So there's still room for one more. Higher math...
Eric D.
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

We (James Island) may not be able to go this weekend, as Travis has a conflict with a college visit in PA, and he won't be able to go. We also might have a conflict with our ride, as well.

May 2, I won't be able to go to the Dorman tournament, because I have the SAT, but the rest of our team will be able to go.

You could ask our coach, as she was the one who registered.

Joe
James Island '10
Last edited by scquizbowl on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe
James Island '10
Auron

Well, I certainly hope you can make it. It's going to be a good event. Just try to let me know as soon as possible what your plans are.
Eric D.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Did the NMB tournament viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7119 ever actually end up happening yesterday?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Rikku

No, there was a total of 4 teams signed up. We e-mailed over 25 schools and recieved responses such as we can't come because of financial reasons, or "We never played on that format, so no". We gave teams until April 11th for reponses, yet none came, so my coach said he would contact NAQT stating the tournament had been cancelled.
Zach Foster
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I'm really sorry. That would have been a great way to raise money and for more experience for you and your team, and to get your region excited about playing good quizbowl. You should try to come back as an alum and make it happen next year.

I was just down your way last week for our Spring Break. My parents have a condo at Tidewater and i was using it for the week. I thought about taking you back up to the Mid-Atlantic so you could play some games before the year was over! :wink:
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Well, the Dorman Season-Ender is tomorrow at Dorman High School, and we (James Island) will be without two of our players. I will be out because of SAT (which I have planned for 3 months), and another player has some extuanaing circumstances.

We will be bringing three new players, all sophomores (including a girl, which we haven't had since '06), and we have several people in our farm system, which will help us stay viable next year.

Several teams will be coming from outside of the area, and we wish them well in Spartanburg.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
Rikku

scquizbowl wrote: another player has some extuanaing circumstances.

Dang what happened to whoever this individual may be.
Zach Foster
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Why is that any of your business?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Looking over the results of the Dorman tournament... who is this Greensboro Day School and why haven't they ventured forth to rip up NAQT's PPB before?
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

uga_chris wrote:Looking over the results of the Dorman tournament... who is this Greensboro Day School and why haven't they ventured forth to rip up NAQT's PPB before?
Looking at the stats, I'd bet the tournament used bouncebacks.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

dtaylor4 wrote: Looking at the stats, I'd bet the tournament used bouncebacks.
Yeah that looks like it's the case, but that's still a very high bonus conversion and very strong performance by I team I'd never seen/heard of in 4 years in the nearby area. Any SC folks see this coming?
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
grashid
Lulu

Post by grashid »

uga_chris wrote:
Yeah that looks like it's the case, but that's still a very high bonus conversion and very strong performance by I team I'd never seen/heard of in 4 years in the nearby area. Any SC folks see this coming?
Part of that may have to do with the fact that they earned a 39.98 Points per bonus (hope I am reading that stat right) in their first game.
g. rashid Walton 09
"After a few minutes of conversation, Ehrenfest remarked "I think I like your papers better than you," to which Pauli shot back "I think I like you better than your papers." The two became very good friends from then on."
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

uga_chris wrote:
To be fair, this is the Greensboro Day School from Guilford County, a bit further up in NC. They've generally been decent-to-strong since I was in high school, but I don't think they've been to many national tournaments.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

We have played many teams this year who will be competing in the PACE and/or NAQT Nationals and the Greensboro Day School was about as good as most of them. I had never heard of them either, but I think that they are definitely "Nationals" caliber while not in the same league as James Island or Dorman (most teams aren't.)

Cathy Hirsch
Coach
Central Gwinnett H.S.
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Well, Greensboro Day usually comes to :chip:'s tournament, and they do well usually, as last year, they did well at the Washington phase of NAC.

They also go to most of the NC tournaments, and we have seen them in High Point, at Raleigh Charter, and other tournaments. They made the semis at Early College and Raleigh Charter this year, and are a decent team.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Greensboro Day had plans to go to PACE but ended up not being able to. They are very good this year, but have always had a solid program. I'm glad they represented well.
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA