Illinois '08-'09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Re: Illinois '08-'09

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

What on earth would a middle school pyramidal question look like?
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

From last year's competition...
While governor of New York, this former President promoted programs of state action for general welfare of the common man. Words from his first inaugural address that are oft quoted are, “…the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.” He is the only president to have been elected to four terms. Well known for “fire-side chats”, who was this President in office during World War II?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Awehrman in the Jr. Wildcat invitation wrote:As a teenager he and his brother Lawrence took a trip to Barbados in 1751 during which he
caught smallpox. After Lawrence died he inherited his estate at Mount Vernon. Who is this
man who would later win the battles of Princeton and Trenton and become the first president
of the United States?

Answer: George Washington
EDIT: Fixed a speeling erroar of mine, since it's not the WildACT.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

la2pgh wrote:What on earth would a middle school pyramidal question look like?
Like NAQT-A sets maybe?
John Brown
Rockford Auburn '08
Indiana University '12
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Irving Alva Edison Hobophone Inventor wrote:
la2pgh wrote:What on earth would a middle school pyramidal question look like?
Like NAQT-A sets maybe?
But good.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

IS-A sets would be a vast improvement over anything that goes in middle school quizbowl now.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with the fact that the (admittedly very few) questions I've seen have been very much Biography Bowl. It would be much more helpful to use early clues that are firmly in the high school canon and that would probably be central to a high school class on the subject. I'm thinking stuff like the Whiskey Rebellion for GW instead of a story about smallpox and his brother.
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Siverus Snape wrote:I don't think it matters that much, but it looks like you switched stat lines for Zahed and me during our first game against Loyola A.
Loyola A 1.0 2 6 1 20 4.25 2.00 85

Dang, man. I was on FIRE! :aaa:

Actually, this is a sad continuation of a sadder trend. All this year a new assistant principal at Auburn has been really nice to me, and I really didn't know why. And then on Saturday he introduced me to someone as Siva...and it all made sense. I think the only people who haven't yet called me Siva are my parents and siblings...But I bet it's coming.

Still, I think it's amusing, and I'm thinking it's just a chance error in this case.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

If you get accepted to any good schools this year, Zahed, don't turn 'em down.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

It's too bad I'm only a junior...Just think about the headlines:

"INDIAN GENIUS PLANS TO STUDY AT HARVARD AND STANFORD"
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
the return of AHAN
Auron

Siverus Snape wrote:Yeah, I'm not comfortable with the fact that the (admittedly very few) questions I've seen have been very much Biography Bowl. It would be much more helpful to use early clues that are firmly in the high school canon and that would probably be central to a high school class on the subject. I'm thinking stuff like the Whiskey Rebellion for GW instead of a story about smallpox and his brother.
Wait! Did I just hear Siva offer to proof and edit a round or two of the Barrington Invitiational VI???? :cool:
viewtopic.php?p=109338#p109338
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Well, you got me there.
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09
Awehrman
Wakka

Post by Awehrman »

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with the fact that the (admittedly very few) questions I've seen have been very much Biography Bowl. It would be much more helpful to use early clues that are firmly in the high school canon and that would probably be central to a high school class on the subject. I'm thinking stuff like the Whiskey Rebellion for GW instead of a story about smallpox and his brother.
I am sensitive to those concerns. I think it is misleading that the two example questions given in this thread are about US Presidents. I wrote my George Washington question as an example to send out to coaches in my tournament letter. It's not a perfect question by any means, but I think it served my purpose of showing that pyramidal questions do not have to be difficult or boring. I wanted to include an opening line that seemed a bit new, intriguing, but not intimidating followed by more conventional clues which led to an extremely easy giveaway clue. I hope that my questions will encourage players to look beyond their textbooks and classes and inspire a sense of curiosity about the world. Including clues about the Whiskey Rebellion would be perfectly reasonable here, no doubt, but there are dozens of ways you could write good questions about Washington. I also want to avoid the tendency to fall into biography questions (although not all questions asking for individuals as answers are biographical in nature), and I think I have managed to do that with the questions I have written so far. I think the QB community will be pleased with them, but more importantly I think they will have the potential to encourage more students to demand good questions in the future.

It is a tall task, though, and I still have many questions to write before February comes around. There are some topics (literature, fine arts, social science, etc.) where the number of askable tossups is much thinner than for high school tournaments. Most quizbowl players begin learning these subjects only in high school (and these are the topics that average or below average high school teams struggle with the most in my experience) making good pyramidal tossups difficult but not impossible. I do not want to stoop to focusing on children's literature or grammar to fill out the literature requirement or include comic books or popular recent films in fine arts. Although I can write many of these questions quite quickly, I've been spending a lot of time thinking about how to ask questions on some of these important topics that do not get covered in school. For instance, how would you write a philosophy question for middle schoolers? Is there any way to write one so it won't go dead in more than a quarter of the matches? I think there are a few ways to ask them, but probably not enough to get one in every round. Would an above average 12 year-old be able to identify Descartes? Maybe. But I think more might be able to pull out "I think therefore I am," and also avoid writing another question that asks for a person. So I could conceivably write a pyramidal question that talks about the origins and location of that phrase, identifies it's author as Rene Descartes and closes "Name this famous philosophical phrase first presented in Latin as Cogito Ergo Sum?" Of course you would have to accept an early "Cogito," but I think that if fully written that would be a reasonably accessible middle school question.

I don't want this turn into a “what you can and cannot write for middle schoolers” thread. For one, I don't want to spoil my somewhat small canon before I finish writing, but I also don't want to hijack this thread more than it already is. I just wanted to convey that I've thought through many of these issues (I've been thinking about writing this tournament for years—ever since I spent a semester teaching 7th grade geography) and that the tournament is in good hands. If you're interested in helping or have some question ideas or something, feel free to email me.
Andy Wehrman
(formerly of Arkansas and Northwestern)
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I would imagine common-link tossups would be helpful in filling out the subjects with a smaller canon, since you can use a middle-school canonical givaway. For instance, middle schoolers would probably get a tossup on frescos off of the Sistine Chapel, but you could still introduce higher-level clues.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Anti-Climacus wrote:I would imagine common-link tossups would be helpful in filling out the subjects with a smaller canon, since you can use a middle-school canonical givaway. For instance, middle schoolers would probably get a tossup on frescos off of the Sistine Chapel, but you could still introduce higher-level clues.
I doubt middle schoolers know what a fresco is. I can only think of 2 that are possibly in the middle school canon. You'd be better served to just write a tossup on the Sistine Chapel.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
at your pleasure
Auron

I can only think of 2 that are possibly in the middle school canon.
Out of curiostiy, what's the other one?
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Da Vinci's Last Supper probably.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

The Last Supper (even though it isn't a "real" fresco, I suppose most middle schoolers would identify it as such). So I guess it could be out, if you wanted to be a fresco fascist. Otherwise, I can't think of any even close to middle school level frescoes (granted, Italian art is not my strong suit).
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Do middle schoolers not know "painting on wet plaster"? Even the ones that play quizbowl?
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
the return of AHAN
Auron

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:Do middle schoolers not know "painting on wet plaster"? Even the ones that play quizbowl?
Having coached middle school teams since 1998, I feel qualified to say that decent middle school teams know what a fresco is. Identifying specific frescoes may get a little more ticklish, but that would be true for any type of painting. Having said that, we used to attend a tournament that had one "visual" bonus round where there was a handout given to the teams on a bonus and they had to identify 5 things shown, and there was usually a paintings one mixed in. My kids usually got at least 3 or 4 out of the 5 shown, but never all 5.
Jeff Price
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

Here is a very incomplete list of some of artists and/or works on which I've written middle school questions in the past few years.

Degas/Little Dancer of Fourteen Years; Michelangelo/David/Creation of Adam/Pieta; Calder/mobiles; Rodin/The Kiss/The Thinker; Duchamp/Fountain; Millet/The Gleaners; Wyeth/Christina's World; Wood/American Gothic; Hopper/Nighthawks; Rembrandt/Night Watch; Gauguin/The Yellow Christ/Tahitian Women on the Beach; Renoir/Luncheon of the Boating Party; Seurat/A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte; Van Gogh/Sunflowers/Potato Eaters/The Starry Night; Monet/Impression Sunrise/Water Lilies/Haystacks; Vermeer/Girl with a Pearl Earring; Warhol/Marilyn Monroe/Campbell's Soup; Picasso/Chicago Picasso/Guernica/Three Musicians/The Old Guitarist; Gainsborough/Blue Boy; Rockwell/Saturday Evening Post; da Vinci/Mona Lisa; Matisse; Escher/tessellations; Leutze/Washington Crossing the Delaware; Gilbert Stuart; Cassatt/The Bath/Sleepy Baby; Jackson Pollock; Salvador Dali/Persistence of Memory; Paul Cezanne; Marc Chagall; Raphael/The School of Athens/Madonna and Child; Munch/The Scream; Whistler/Whistler's Mother; Audobon/Birds of America; Botticelli/Birth of Venus; Frida Kahlo; O'Keeffe; El Greco; Winslow Homer; Manet; Grandma Moses; Christo; and, Venus de Milo.

Looking back, the questions on Duchamp, Millet, Christo; Vermeer, and Kahlo were probably too hard, but if I remember right, I tried tie in Vermeer to the 2003 film Girl with a Pearl Earring, Kahlo to the biopic Frida, and Christo to some crazy thing he did in Central Park.

If anything, I think there's a lot of room for canon expansion, on the middle school level, in the area of architecture, as I've seen very few questions not related to Frank Lloyd Wright.

And, for what it's worth, "wet plaster" comes up as a clue (sometimes the only clue) for fresco all the time at that level.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Millet is absurdly harder than every single one of those other answers.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Sir Thopas wrote:Millet is absurdly harder than every single one of those other answers.
Is Leutze, too? I know the work but don't recall ever learning who painted it, though that might just be a knowledge gap on my part.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Stephen Colbert
Wakka

cornfused wrote:
Sir Thopas wrote:Millet is absurdly harder than every single one of those other answers.
Is Leutze, too? I know the work but don't recall ever learning who painted it, though that might just be a knowledge gap on my part.
Yeah, Leutze is too. For whatever reason I know him as the artist (though I certainly didn't in middle school). It ended up being an insanely hard part on a visual, interdisciplinary bonus that showed the work and asked for something like: name of the painting, city/battle they're traveling to, the figure carrying the flag on the boat is modeled after this Revolutionary War lieutenant and fifth president of the US, and the artist.
Nathan Hollinsaid
at your pleasure
Auron

Raphael/The School of Athens/Madonna and Child
Which Madonna and child?

vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Anti-Climacus wrote:
Which Madonna and child?
Evidently the one by Raphael.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
at your pleasure
Auron

Anti-Climacus wrote:
Which Madonna and child?

I'm pretty sure Raphael painted a large number of Madonnas,so "Raphael Madonna" could refer to quite a few paintings.

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

In Soviet Illinois thread, joke misses you!
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Anti-Climacus wrote:
Anti-Climacus wrote:
Which Madonna and child?

I'm pretty sure Raphael painted a large number of Madonnas,so "Raphael Madonna" could refer to quite a few paintings.
I wrote a tossup once to which the answer was 'Madonna.'
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

STPickrell wrote:I wrote a tossup once to which the answer was 'Madonna.'
So did HSAPQ:
HSAPQ wrote:13. One work in this form is named for the figures from Greek myth on the pedestal at the bottom and was painted by Andrea del Sarto, while a tondo-form work in this genre, painted by Botticelli, depicts several members of the Medici family on the sides. The ominous title bird is being given to another figure by John the Baptist in another of these, painted by Raphael. For 10 points, name these works known as “of the harpies,” “Magnificat,” and “of the goldfinch,” and also painted “of the rocks” by Leonardo, which are paintings of Mary and the infant Jesus.
ANSWER: Madonnas
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Heh, nevermind.
Andrew Watkins
the return of AHAN
Auron

1st thing's first: How soon and where can we see the full results and stats for the Davey & Goliath Throwdown? And will there be scores of each game available? I'm curious to see how our conference rivals fared.

Secondly, thank you to Loyola for running such a great tournament! It was also great to see so many people from this board all in one place, too.

Now down to business, this was our first exposure to a tournament with powers (Goldfish notwithstanding). The kids enjoyed it very much. For those who weren't there, the tournament used powers, but no negs. My players thought the extra 5 points made things more interesting, but I can't say it really swung the outcome of any games we were a part of. It seems some teams didn't finish their morning rounds until almost 2 PM, and a coach grumbled to me about it at a nearby restaurant. He felt the tournament was lasting too long at 20/20 with (NAQT) questions of this length. But no one can say these A-series questions were too tough. I'd say in most of our rounds that only 1-3 questions went dead per match (vs. New Trier in rd 2 was an anomaly with 6 dead). The bonuses were pretty reasonable with bagels and sweeps being uncommon, with more of the latter than the former. I was surprised at how often the answer space of toss-ups intersected with that of the bonuses. I can only surmise that whoever wrote the bonuses didn't have access to the toss-ups when they were writing them. But oh well. We seemed to benefit when it DID happen, so I guess I shouldn't protest too much, eh?
In the final analysis, my players decided someone among them needs to step up and learn literature! It was a glaring hole in our game today.
Jeff Price
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Stats from the morning rounds of D&G Throwdown III:

http://www.aegisquestions.com/DGT3/DGT3_standings.html

Playoff stats will be added in the next few minutes, as I'm doing them right now.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

mlaird wrote:Stats from the morning rounds of D&G Throwdown III:

http://www.aegisquestions.com/DGT3/DGT3_standings.html

Playoff stats will be added in the next few minutes, as I'm doing them right now.
TY
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

Stevenson 416, Wheaton North A 35
Stevenson: Jorie 0 0 0, Mark 0 0 0, Zach 0 0 0, Kevin 0 0 0, Jonathan 0 0 0, Andrew 0 0 0
Wheaton North A: Susan 0 0 0, Danny 0 0 0, Mark 0 1 10, Karen 0 0 0, Laura 0 0 0
Bonuses: Stevenson 0 0 0.00, Wheaton North A 0 0 0.00
Bonus Bouncebacks: Stevenson 0 0 0.00, Wheaton North A 0 0 0.00
Are you sure this is right? :grin:
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)
the return of AHAN
Auron

rjaguar3 wrote:
Stevenson 416, Wheaton North A 35
Stevenson: Jorie 0 0 0, Mark 0 0 0, Zach 0 0 0, Kevin 0 0 0, Jonathan 0 0 0, Andrew 0 0 0
Wheaton North A: Susan 0 0 0, Danny 0 0 0, Mark 0 1 10, Karen 0 0 0, Laura 0 0 0
Bonuses: Stevenson 0 0 0.00, Wheaton North A 0 0 0.00
Bonus Bouncebacks: Stevenson 0 0 0.00, Wheaton North A 0 0 0.00
Are you sure this is right? :grin:
or this?
Barrington A 214, New Trier 137
Barrington A: John 0 0 0, Aakosh 0 0 0, Kyle 0 0 0, Pete 0 0 0, Gaurov 0 0 0
New Trier: Daniel 0 0 0, Andrew 0 1 10, Jules 0 4 40, Lauren 0 0 0, DJ 0 1 10, Nikita 0 0 0
Bonuses: Barrington A 0 0 0.00, New Trier 0 0 0.00
Bonus Bouncebacks: Barrington A 0 0 0.00, New Trier 0 0 0.00

But really, I don't mean to complain. This is more on-line stats than I've ever seen for a tournament I've been to. It's very cool.
Jeff Price
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

We don't have the scoresheets on hand right now to fix it, Glerum's got them, so we're shifting blame to him. :)
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Playoff Stats are here, these shouldn't have the same problem that the morning rounds had.

http://www.aegisquestions.com/DGT3/DGT3 ... dings.html
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The Auburn/Lisle game was messed up. Was the final order of finish Stevenson, Lisle, Auburn, Carbondale?

Thanks for a very good tournament. As said before, the A Sets worked well for Frosh/Soph. The bonuses were good other than the repeats with the tossups and some difficulty swings. The former was because Loyola wrote their own bonuses and didn't see the tossups until near the end, and the latter can be very difficult when you have new writers and a small canon (appropriate Frosh/Soph academic material). The playoffs running late didn't affect us.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Shcool wrote:The Auburn/Lisle game was messed up. Was the final order of finish Stevenson, Lisle, Auburn, Carbondale?
There's a few things messed up, such as the team stats page showing a -1 to -1 tie between Auburn A and Lisle, and, though I know it didn't seem like we ever scored vs. Stevenson, I know we had a few TU.

As best I can reconstruct things....
Quarterfinals:
Stevenson def. St. Ignatius
Barrington def. Loyola
Lisle def. Carmel
Auburn def. Carbondale

Semifinals:
Stevenson def. Barrington
Lisle def. Auburn

Cons. semis:
St. Ignatius def. Loyola
Carbondale def. Carmel

7th place:
Carmel def. Loyola
5th place:
Carbondale def. St. Ignatius
3rd place:
Auburn def. Barrington
Championship:
Stevenson def. Lisle
Jeff Price
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

What is up with these stats?
John Brown
Rockford Auburn '08
Indiana University '12
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Re: stats issues

At a certain point in the day (I'd say round 2 or 3), we had screwed up the stats to such an extent that we decided it was best to just do teams scores now and individual scores later in order that we could seed the playoffs in a timely manner. I didn't do any stats, and I can't remember why I took the stat sheets, but I once I give them to Matt, they'll be up.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Woody Paige wrote: 7th place:
Carmel DNP Loyola5th place:
Carbondale def. St. Ignatius
3rd place:
Auburn def. Barrington
Championship:
Stevenson def. Lisle
That was all right except for this - Carmel and Loyola decided not to play for 7th. Carmel's players went home and Loyola's got a head start on cleanup.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Also, I'd like to say that Jack Glerum should be commended for an excellent first tournament. It ran smoothly and the bonuses were pretty good... barring a few stats/longmorningrounds/difficulty issues, it went well.

Plus, the three-team showdown at the end was great, and hopefully it can be repeated at New Trier Varsity.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

the return of AHAN
Auron

cornfused wrote:Plus, the three-team showdown at the end was great, and hopefully it can be repeated at New Trier Varsity.
three-team showdown? Did something happen after we skedaddled?
Jeff Price
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Will the bonuses from this tournament be posted online?
Nathan Hollinsaid
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Stephen Colbert wrote:Will the bonuses from this tournament be posted online?
Yep. Warning: nasty Illinois format.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Woody Paige wrote:
cornfused wrote:Plus, the three-team showdown at the end was great, and hopefully it can be repeated at New Trier Varsity.
Yep. Using an NAQT IS-set and a one-buzz-per-team version of the regular NAQT rules, Lisle A plus coach, Lisle B plus coach, and Riley-Fischer-Peterson-Laird-Strey scrimmaged with Egan/Laudermith moderating. Despite my 0-0-3 line through 10 questions, the moderator team somehow managed to win.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

cornfused wrote:
Woody Paige wrote:
Yep. Using an NAQT IS-set and a one-buzz-per-team version of the regular NAQT rules, Lisle A plus coach, Lisle B plus coach, and Riley-Fischer-Peterson-Laird-Strey scrimmaged with Egan/Laudermith moderating. Despite my 0-0-3 line through 10 questions, the moderator team somehow managed to win.
This was amazing. Lisle was very excited to play (more than we were, and we'd been waiting for it all tournament long) and they had a great time.

I'd like to commend Jack and crew on an excellently run tournament and a very good set of bonuses. I'd also like to mention that the quality of play was very strong - I had tons and tons of powers, and the quarterfinal game with Stevenson versus St. Ignatius and the Stevenson/Lisle final were two of the best played games I've seen all year, V or JV. While it's not a full list, Zach from Stevenson, Greg from Lisle, and Leo from St. Ignatius were all extremely impressive.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I would also like to commend Jack for his bonuses, well-written in Illinois format [but be forewarned: next year this tournament will use ACF-style bonuses].

I would also like to commend the team from Lakes. A new team from a relatively new school, they were an enthusiastic team and coach who genuinely enjoyed the competition and were happy to be there. If their program continues to grow then they will be a forced to be reckoned with in a few years.

Thanks to everyone who attended, and the moderators vs. Lisle A vs. Lisle B was a lot of fun and yes, look for a similar matchup at New Trier this weekend! :party:
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"