Triton Bowl - 2/21 @ UCSD

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Auroni
Auron

Triton Bowl - 2/21 @ UCSD

Post by Auroni »

UCSD will be hosting a mirror of Hunter College's Prison Bowl on February 21, 2009. The questions will be standard mACF (pyramidal tossups, 3-part bonuses, 20/20 fomat) written by the Hunter and Walter Johnson teams. We invite all high school teams, regardless of experience with NAQT or other pyramidal quizbowl, to participate in this fun and rewarding tournament. By mACF, we mean that that rounds will emulate ACF format, which contains an even balance of academic subjects with little trash and absolutely no computational math. This tournament will be almost completely paperless, so bringing laptops is encouraged.

We will have some sort of bracketed round robin with an advantaged final (depending on the number of teams, a full round robin might also go down). There'll be consolation matches so that every team that comes gets the most quizbowl for their buck. Prizes will be books and trophies, as well as a humorous neg prize of some sort.

Fees:
$60 for the first team from a school
$50 for each additional team from a school
-$10 for each buzzer system
-$5 for laptop (max of 1 per team)
-$5 for each moderator that you are able to bring.
minimum fee per team: $40; travel (or other) discounts can be negotiated on a case-by-case basis

To register, email me at auronigupta AT gmail DOT com with information on number of teams, buzzers, and laptops. There will be periodic updates here with the latest field.

CERTIFICATION: This thread has been emailed to Fred Morlan for PACE certification
Last edited by Auroni on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Re: Triton Bowl - 2/21 @ UCSD

Post by ihavenoidea »

Love the pricing.

Is this on the 21st or 28th? You said one thing on the title and one thing in the opening post. Hopefully not 28th, as that is the same day as Carnal Embrace.
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

It is on the 21st.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
tracyclee
Lulu

Post by tracyclee »

I will probably drag two teams to this...but will probably not register for at least another month. :D

I, too, love your dirt-cheap pricing. <3s!
Tracy Lee
Arcadia High School '09
Chicago '13
chemistryguy
Kimahri

Post by chemistryguy »

Edison will have two teams at Triton. We're excited to attend a tourney in San Diego, and MUN won't gut my teams that weekend.
Marcos Cabrera
Edison High School
Academic Competition
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Field

Edison (x2)
Arcadia (x2)

also, remember to email me with registration info!
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I can tentatively drive down to moderate, if you need me to staff.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

Shouldn't we add a moderator discount? Or do you think we can find enough people from the club to moderate?
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I have applied for PACE certification and have added a moderator discount to this event
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Rancho Bernardo will bring at least one team and two buzzers to this.
Zhao Zhang
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

okay, so our field has five teams with Los Alamitos expressing interest. To all those who have registered: none of you have sent me an email. Please do that at auronigupta AT gmail DOT com

Field -
Arcadia (x2)
Edison (x2)
Rancho Bernardo
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

SAMO is hereby expressing interest. I'm bummed we're missing ACF Winter to study for finals...

EDIT: Scratch that. It's the same day as some Oceans tournament
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

cvdwightw wrote:I can tentatively drive down to moderate, if you need me to staff.
My offer still stands, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know very soon whether my assistance will be needed.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Dwight, we need you!

Yeah, we only know for sure that we won't be inundated with extra staff, so please come down to help :)
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

I will be able to come down as well, I will be coming down with Edison as a moderator.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
- Dan Quayle
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

I am actively lobbying for teams to come to this event! Looking at the stats from Prison Bowl, it seems to be a very accessible set. This means that less experience teams will still know the tossup answers and the first part of bonuses while experienced teams will be challenged by lead ins and third part.
Zhao Zhang
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

If you need me and can get me a ride back and forth I'd love to come moderate!
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

field update plox?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Okay, so registration is open until Saturday 11:59 PST, but it looks like the field is as follows:

Arcadia - 2 teams
Edison - 2 teams
Rancho Bernardo - 2 teams, 2 buzzers
Torrey Pines - 3 teams, 1 buzzer
San Dieguito Academy - 1 team, up to 3 buzzers
Rancho Alamitos - 1 teams, 1 moderator, 1 buzzer
Carlsbad - 1 team
La Jolla - 2 teams

With 14 teams, a full RR is probably out of the question, so there will be some bracketing and swiss pair combination involved.. We'll work it out. There's still no word about the rooms, but I will post here and email everyone as I know more info.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

Hi All,

We now have a location for the first ever Triton Bowl. It will be in Center Hall on the UCSD Campus and I will upload a map and give specific room numbers later. Right now, we have 7 rooms reserved for competition use and 1 room for stats/meetings/announcement. This caps us at 14 teams....16 if we use the stats room for games too. So please let us know ASAP if you still would like to register so I can reserve more rooms. When you email Auroni to register, please CC [email protected] since Auroni is at Card Classic and I don't know if he will check his computer much.

If you are on the list in the post above, then as far as I am concerned, you are registered and there's no need to email me.
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Thanks Auroni and UCSD for making this a great tournament!
Zhao Zhang
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Results in short:

Rancho Bernardo A won undefeated (11-0), with Torrey Pines A (10-1) and Arcadia A (7-3), in second and third. The top 15% of the field qualifies for PACE, and I will work that out once my stats are completely up. This will happen sometime before I go to bed tonight.
Last edited by Auroni on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Last edited by Auroni on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

JelloBiafra wrote:Results in short:

Rancho Bernardo A won undefeated (11-0), with Torrey Pines A (10-1) and Arcadia A (9-2), in second and third. The top 15% of the field qualifies for PACE, and I will work that out once my stats are completely up. This will happen sometime before I go to bed tonight.
Actually, just the top two teams qualify for an affiliated tournament with 15 teams. If you get gold or platinum, your number of qualifying teams would increase as a result of that.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

JelloBiafra wrote:Arcadia A (9-2), in second and third. The top 15% of the field qualifies for PACE
All lies.

Rancho Bernardo and Torrey Pines qualify, but then again, they'd already qualified. If you get gold certified, then Arcadia (7-3) gets a spot (they've already qualified, too), and then there's the nebulous tie for fourth with two other teams 1/2 game behind (ideally, if this gets the gold seal of approval, PACE just decides not to break the tie, and La Jolla can qualify both 6-4 teams, which is what I think they wanted to do in the first place). San Dieguito and Edison won't qualify under any known scenario, despite being 1/2 game behind, but that isn't a problem as they've already qualified.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

First: yay, a torrey pines player on the boards (don't expect me to post much though, i mostly just read what y'all have to say :P)

Second: thanks ucsd quizbowl for a great tournament, and you better have it back next year

Third: auroni, your stats say arcadia went 7-3
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Great tournament, great modding, accessible questions, and well run overall.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

I just want to say that Torrey really out did themselves at this tournament. I hope they will attend more mACF tournaments in the future.
Zhao Zhang
tracyclee
Lulu

Post by tracyclee »

Thanks for the excellent tournament! It was so great, on all levels, that wish I could do it again.
Tracy Lee
Arcadia High School '09
Chicago '13