Should teams be required to use this board for their events?

Old college threads.
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

Should teams be required to use this board for their events?

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

I'm just wondering if people here think that the circuit has progressed to the point that teams should be required to post their major tournaments (I'm talking about events such as TRASH Regionals, NAQT Sectionals, etc.) to this board.

I ask this because I've noticed that there are a few NAQT Sectionals hosts that have yet to post their events here; I feel that this will be a detriment to the hosts and the circuits in general.
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: Should teams be required to use this board for their events?

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

What's the alternative?
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I don't know how anyone can "require" anything, but yes, everyone who wants to host a tournament should announce it on the largest extant quizbowl discussion forum.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Since not everyone reads this board, if you have a regional mailing list (e.g. quizbowl-westcoast), then you need to post it to that first. However, so people in other parts of the country know what's going on, or in case there's someone who reads this board that's not on your mailing list, it's good form to announce here as well.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Yes, all entities should post here, especially if their tournaments are held across the nation (such as various SCTs, TRASH regionals, etc.) It is also important because we are seeing larger numbers of people who have the means and interest in traveling to tournaments that aren't within their vicinities (such as the various people who came to MO and CC,) and these people like to know what's going on across the country.

Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I would hope it would be common sense to use this board to post events (as well as do things like Facebook). Why would one not use this board?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I'd say so, yes. I'd say it's something I'd expect from anyone mirroring a tournament of mine, for example; the fact that it's been a moot point until now is the only reason I can think of that we haven't required it.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Council of Trent Reznor
Lulu

Post by Council of Trent Reznor »

It would seem to be stupid to not announce a tournament here. It would also seem to be asinine to require it, though, since what sort of enforceable and proportional penalties are you going to impose on a team that doesn't post here?
Greg Baboukis, University of Illinois
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Demand a bigger cut as penalty for defaulting on some contract terms or just refuse questions. A question source has a lot of leverage in this case.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

When I asked TDs to post announcements here for Fall, no one was resistant. Some people are behind the times in their understanding of how quizbowl announces itself on the internet (Yahoo!, anyone?), but for the most part, I think that programs that neglect to post here do so out of a lack of information as opposed to a conscious slight. I don't think that "require" is the right word for the obligation that teams have to post here, since it seems that polite insistence on the part of the question provider is all that's required to get people to announce on HSQB.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

theMoMA wrote:When I asked TDs to post announcements here for Fall, no one was resistant. Some people are behind the times in their understanding of how quizbowl announces itself on the internet (Yahoo!, anyone?), but for the most part, I think that programs that neglect to post here do so out of a lack of information as opposed to a conscious slight. I don't think that "require" is the right word for the obligation that teams have to post here, since it seems that polite insistence on the part of the question provider is all that's required to get people to announce on HSQB.
I think this is really the point, which the whole "require" terminology has distracted the discussion from. THis would suggest that either NAQT or this board's admins might want to contact any programs are hosting SCTs that haven't announced here and point out the board's existence to them.
Dave Letzler--Williams '06, Temple '08, CUNY and bastard teams '12ish