Visual Tournament - Date TBD

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Visual Tournament - Date TBD

Post by Mike Bentley »

So I'm going to create a visual tournament, where tossups are on works of fine arts (mostly painting, sculpture, architecture and photography) and displayed on a projector in a pyramidal fashion. It will probably be a singles tournament because it will be hard to find multiple rooms with projector equipment set up.

Here's an example of what a question might look like (albeit it's pretty easy): http://www.doc-ent.com/quizbowl/Visual% ... xample.ppt.

I don't know how booked these tournaments are already, but here are tournaments I may be attending in the coming few months where I could potentially run this event:
Cardinal Classic
ICT
ACF Nationals
HSNCT
PACE
Missouri Open (potentially a west-coast mirror)
Chicago Open
Maybe another summer tournament

I don't think it would take all that long to run, probably under 2 hours. I'm not sure how many questions I will produce, since I'm not sure how long it will take to make them in bulk.

Anyways, let me know if you're interested in this tournament and have a preference for venue.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
swwFCqb
Rikku

Re: Visual Tournament - Date TBD

Post by swwFCqb »

This seems pretty cool...I'd totally be up for playing it. Unfortunately, the only tournament I'll probably be attending of those you listed is the NAQT HSNCT.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

Very intriguing. I'd certainly be interested in playing this. Out on the tournaments on the list, I'll probably be at ACF Nats and possibly Missouri Open.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

I'd play this, if it happened at Cardinal Classic/HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
SepiaOfficinalis
Lulu

Post by SepiaOfficinalis »

I'd just like to state my enthusiastic approval; my favorite round of quizbowl to date was the all-visual fine arts theme round at TTGt11 like in 05 or 06. I would recommend potentially interested people try to go look it up. It demonstrates some of what can be done with this format. Things like slow zoom outs from relatively obscure parts of paintings/museums/sculptures provided an awesome twist on pyramidality.
Grinnell Quizbowl 05-07
University of Minnesota Quizbowl 08-09.
T.....S...E...O
O.....O...R...L
M......D...H...M
walter12
Lulu

Post by walter12 »

SepiaOfficinalis wrote:I'd just like to state my enthusiastic approval; my favorite round of quizbowl to date was the all-visual fine arts theme round at TTGt11 like in 05 or 06. I would recommend potentially interested people try to go look it up. It demonstrates some of what can be done with this format. Things like slow zoom outs from relatively obscure parts of paintings/museums/sculptures provided an awesome twist on pyramidality.
I'm pretty sure there was one such round in 2005 and, although it was before my time at Iowa, I think that there were a couple more in previous years. I'll see if I can find a copy of them in our club's question archive and post them here (along with the rest of the tournaments that aren't publicly available...).
Paul Drube, University of Iowa
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

This sounds awesome. I'll play if it's at PACE or CO.
grashid
Lulu

Post by grashid »

I would love to play this in PACE or HSNCT, assuming we go.
g. rashid Walton 09
"After a few minutes of conversation, Ehrenfest remarked "I think I like your papers better than you," to which Pauli shot back "I think I like you better than your papers." The two became very good friends from then on."
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

This quizbowl-like substance is attractive to me and I would like to have some. That said, I have absolutely no idea whether I will be at the main site of many tournaments, so don't mind me.
Andrew Watkins
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Oh this is awesome. I'd play if I'm at whatever tournament it's being held. (The only ones I have any realistic chance of attending are ACF Nats and PACE; I suppose I can't quite rule out CO but it's highly unlikely.)
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I would totally play this. Places on that list that I might be, in decreasing order of plausibility:
PACE
the CC mirror at MIT
HSNCT
Some east coast mirror of Missouri Open
Chicago Open
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

I'll play this.

I'll certainly attend CC and ACF Nationals, and CO but am not 100% sure about the rest.

Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
SepiaOfficinalis
Lulu

Post by SepiaOfficinalis »

walter12 wrote:
SepiaOfficinalis wrote:I'd just like to state my enthusiastic approval; my favorite round of quizbowl to date was the all-visual fine arts theme round at TTGt11 like in 05 or 06. I would recommend potentially interested people try to go look it up. It demonstrates some of what can be done with this format. Things like slow zoom outs from relatively obscure parts of paintings/museums/sculptures provided an awesome twist on pyramidality.
I'm pretty sure there was one such round in 2005 and, although it was before my time at Iowa, I think that there were a couple more in previous years. I'll see if I can find a copy of them in our club's question archive and post them here (along with the rest of the tournaments that aren't publicly available...).
Yeah, the round I'm thinking of was against you, I think it was probably your senior year at UST. I guess it must have been Fall 2005.
Last edited by SepiaOfficinalis on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grinnell Quizbowl 05-07
University of Minnesota Quizbowl 08-09.
T.....S...E...O
O.....O...R...L
M......D...H...M
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

SepiaOfficinalis wrote:
walter12 wrote:
Yeah, the round I'm thinking of was against you, I think it was probably your senior year at St.TU. I guess it must have been Fall 2005.
This was indeed in 2005, as it is to date the only TTGT11 I have attended. I distinctly remember going 2-3 in that round, thereby regretting not playing the infamous country music audio round.