From Here to Eternity: Columbus, OH (1/24/2009)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
PaladinQB
Wakka

From Here to Eternity: Columbus, OH (1/24/2009)

Post by PaladinQB »

Ladies and gentlemen:

Now that I have successfully reserved rooms, I can finally announce the long-rumored January tournament at Ohio State!

From Here to Eternity: A High School Academic Experience will be held on January 24th, 2009 on the beautiful campus of The Ohio State University. The tournament will be taking place in Hagerty Hall and Medenhall Lab, which are adjacent buildings on the North Oval and right next to a parking garage.

The tournament will be co-written by myself and Ike Jose, and should be at about NAQT IS difficulty or maybe a skosh harder. The distribution and question length will be more ACF-ish though; expect tossups to be 5-7 lines or so. At some point I'll get around to posting the exact distribution we're using but it heavily emphasizes academic topics at the expense of trash.

Tournament format will be decided later but we'll try to give everyone at least 8 games or so. I'll update with fees later too but I expect the average team to pay around $60-70 a team after discounts. If money is an issue with your team let me know and we can work something out.

If you want to register get in touch with me at saxton_35*NOSPAM*@fisher.osu.edu (take out the *NOSPAM* before sending the email, though). If you have questions about anything, ask either myself at that address, or Ike, or just post in this thread.

I'm capping the field at 32 for the moment so register early!

I'm hoping to see everyone at this tournament. I'm particularly excited about what Ike has written for this tournament so far; I think you guys are really going to enjoy it. Depending on how fast we get the rest of the tournament written, the famous "OAC Trash" format may return at this event as well.

bms
Brian Saxton, The Ohio State University '12 (I hope)
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Re: From Here to Eternity: Columbus, OH (1/24/2009)

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Can we get a field update or perhaps some more logistical things? Thanks.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

http://www.createphpbb.com/oac/viewtopi ... mforum=oac

This should provide you with all the details. An email has been sent out to coaches from my understanding, so if you haven't got one, email Brian Saxton about it.
Ike
UIUC 13
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

Quick results:

Shady Side Academy went undefeated to win FHtE, and Northmont A finished 2nd. Joining them in the top bracket were Fisher Catholic and St. Charles A.

St. Charles IV went undefeated in the JV bracket; Tipp II finished 2nd.

At some point in the relative near future I'll post stats and the questions. I think it is fair to say that the questions overshot the target difficulty (or at least the ideal difficulty) but I think the teams still learned something and had a good time.

bms
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

PaladinQB wrote:At some point in the relative near future I'll post stats
That point has arrived; stats are here.

Questions will be sent to Chris Carter pretty soon and I'll stick a link in the thread when they're posted.

bms
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

Thanks, Chris.
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

What was with the first part of Bonus 14 in round 9?
EDIT: I mean, I'm sure a clue like "Name this dialogue, which contains a disscussion of the Ring of Gyges" is sufficiently hard and still actually answerable. Or you could have added "in this work to the lead-in, which would have rendered the part answerable. f
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

Im pretty sure its Plato's Republic.

I would have thrown in Analogy of the Divided Line or as you said Ring of Gyges had I gotten around to editing all of this set myself. I'm pretty sure I wrote a Plato tossup, so I would have most likely cut it out, or rewrite the bonus as "Name these Platonic Dialogues that aren't the Republic."
Ike
UIUC 13