Trophies

Old college threads.
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Trophies

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Ok, so I'm wondering if any actual trophies have been given out at ACF events this year. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge none of the tournaments Chicago has attended this year have had trophies. Not that I'm complaining; personally I think trophies are stupid for all but national titles. The ACF hosting guidelines state that trophies should be given out, but has this new rule already been consciously ignored or do people just not know about it?
Rachel
UChicago 09
Schweizerkas
Lulu

Re: Trophies

Post by Schweizerkas »

On the westcoast, I believe ACF Fall at Irvine gave out trophies, but ACF Winter at Caltech did not. I certainly agree with you that giving out trophies for non-Nationals tournaments is stupid. It seems to be just another financial burden on hosting schools, and as a player, I don't really want a trophy, because I don't have any place to put it. I don't believe many colleges have trophy cases for their quizbowl teams, do they?
Brian
Stanford University
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

What, that tattered copy of The Family of Pascual Duarte isn't a trophy to you?
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Both Truman State at ACF Fall and MUST at ACF Winter gave out trophies, as well as books.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Eh, I'd rather have a book than a trophy-it takes up less space and is more useful.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

"The question is not who is going to let me, the question is who is going to stop me"

Is there any evidence of ACF actually punishing people who do not provide trophies?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Schweizerkas wrote:I don't believe many colleges have trophy cases for their quizbowl teams, do they?
UA does, but we could be in the minority in that respect.

I'd perfer books as well. Dorm rooms are cluttered with enough stuff as it is.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Whig's Boson wrote:"The question is not who is going to let me, the question is who is going to stop me"

Is there any evidence of ACF actually punishing people who do not provide trophies?

I think Bruce addressed my immediate concern. I was just wondering to what degree this rule has been followed. I think most if not all of quizbowlers would prefer a book to a trophy, but I can see the argument that whereas waving a worn out copy of "Kiss of the Spider Woman" in the face of those responsible for you funding won't get you more money, doing so with a trophy might.
Rachel
UChicago 09
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

I guess it just boils down to personal preference. I have always preferred trophies myself. When I was at UA I always made sure we had trophies for our hosted tournaments, and tried my best to make sure we had nice ones. It has been my experience that having trophies is a good way to lure money away from the bigwigs for the program, and just as important, to show those same bigwigs physical achievement for their buck. I know that our trophy collection at UA is one of the reasons the UA admin. was ok about writing us a $7000 check to our first trip to nationals. Kinda shows them we're not just around smacking off with their moola. As for my personal pref., I'm just shallow and like shiny things.
James A. Johnson
University of West Florida
formerly of Alabama and Faulkner State

I am an alum of southern quizbowl, the worst form imaginable, and hope and pray that the bearded quizgods shine down their rotund grace upon us all.