Dennis Haskins Open (3/14/08) at UT-Chattanooga

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Dennis Haskins Open (3/14/08) at UT-Chattanooga

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:04 pm

UTC will host the 12th annual Dennis Haskins Open High School Quizbowl on Sat., March 14, 2009. Named in honor of the UTC alumnus best known for his role as Mr. Belding on the long-running TV series Saved By the Bell, this will be a one-day team academic quizbowl competition in Chattanooga, TN.

The field is open to high school and middle school teams. Until/unless we can confirm the services of more tournament officials, this year’s field is tentatively limited to 35 teams – 21 in Division I (varsity) and 14 in Division II (grades 6-10). To ensure that you have space reserved, we recommend that you e-mail utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com at your earliest convenience with the number of teams your school expects to bring. We will take a waiting list of teams beyond the tentative limits, and notify you as soon as possible if we can secure enough officials to accommodate a larger field.

FORMAT: This will be an untimed tournament with 20 tossups and bonuses per round, with no bounceback on bonuses. Questions will cover a variety of academic disciplines, with a little popular culture and general knowledge thrown in. The field will be split into brackets for a round robin, followed by playoffs for each division. During playoffs, non-playoff teams will have the option of playing consolation rounds.

ELIGIBILITY: Students in grades 6-12 are eligible. Those in grades 11-12 are eligible to play in Division I only. (Exceptions may be made for players in 11th grade with no prior quizbowl experience, but only at the tournament director's discretion.) Students in grades 6-10 are eligible to play in either Division I or Division II. However, these questions are targeted at the high school level, and we strongly recommend that players in grades 6-8 play on Division II teams only. Separate trophies will be awarded for teams in Division II (teams composed entirely of players in grades 6 -10.) It is unlikely, but possible, that Division II teams may still play some matches against Division I teams. There will also be separate individual All-Star awards for players in grades 6 -10, even if they’re on a Division I team.

SCHEDULE: Registration begins at 9 AM EDT on Sat. 3/14. We ask all teams to be present by 9:45 AM so we can make announcements and begin tournament play at 10 AM. We are limiting the bracketed round robin to 7 rounds so that we can finish preliminaries no later than 5:30 PM, followed by an exhibition “trash” round (see below), an awards ceremony for individual honors, and playoff/consolation rounds. Under the planned schedule, barring unforeseen circumstances, playoffs should be over by 8 PM.

LOCATION: Tournament HQ will be in 129 Grote Hall on the UTC campus (see directions and link to map below), with matches in Brock, and Holt Halls. (Grote itself is being renovated, so only the auditorium will be used there.) Because we will splitting the tournament between two non-adjacent buildings, each with a slow elevator, please let me know if any of your team members have disabilities and we will do our best to keep their matches in one building.

JUST FOR FUN: It’s become an annual tradition! While we finish the stats and standings at the end of the round robin, we’ll have an unofficial round of “trash” (pure pop culture), tossups only. This has become one of the most popular parts of UTC’s high school quizbowls. Anyone who can reach a buzzer can play in the trash round – alternates, coaches, parents, even the bus driver. Also, during the awards ceremony, we’ll give recognition (and maybe even prizes) for the cleverest T-shirts seen at the tournament.

FEES AND PAPERWORK: Tournament fees are as follows --
• Base fee: $75 per team (4 players can play at a time with up to 3 alternates; substitutions are allowed, but between rounds only.)
Note: Since we have reduced our base fee, we will no longer offer an additional discount for multiple teams from the same school.
• $5 discount, plus a free set of questions, for each experienced full-time official provided by your team
• $5 discount for each working lockout buzzer system, up to four systems (whether we use them or not – recently we’ve had a rash of buzzer breakdowns, so we want as many spares as possible)

After the tournament, complete sets of questions may be purchased for $10. (As noted above, complete sets will be free to any school that provides a full-time official to assist tournament staff.)

Pre-registration and prepayment are not required -- as long as we know how many teams you’ll bring, and for which division(s). Rosters may be changed at any time before the tournament starts, but once a player has played for one team, that player may not switch to another team.

PRACTICE QUESTIONS: We are now making older sets from 2002-2007 available free of charge, via e-mail, upon request. Please e-mail us at utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com if you’re interested. Sets are available from both the Haskins and our fall tournament, Trevor’s Trivia/Selcer Memorial. Sets for each tournament from 2008 are still available for purchase at $10/set (plus postage if ordering hard copies.)

ACCOMMODATIONS: We are investigating a new discount arrangement with two newer facilities downtown. Please e-mail us if you want to be informed when we have the specifics.

If you need more information, please contact us at utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com. Thanks.

--- Charlie Steinhice, UTC A.T.A. Coach

Directions to Grote Hall: Come towards downtown Chattanooga on I-24. Take the freeway splitoff labeled US 27 North – Downtown Chattanooga. Follow US 27 North to Exit 1A, 4th St. (Don’t worry about which way to turn on 4th St. – it only goes one way.) Follow 4th St. about ½ mile till you see the Mackenzie Arena (the “Roundhouse”) on your right. Shortly after you see the Arena on your right, 4th St. will merge with 3rd St. After they merge, watch for the second right (Palmetto St.) Turn right on Palmetto. Go 2 blocks on Palmetto, then turn right on Vine St. You will see barriers ahead where Vine St. is closed to auto traffic. The last parking lot on the right, just before those barriers, is the parking lot for Grote Hall. Enter through the door by the dumpster. Tournament HQ is Grote 129.
-- Charlie Steinhice
Coach, UTC Academic Trivia Association
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com

"Come, come! Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)

Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Re: Dennis Haskins Open (3/14/08) at UT-Chattanooga

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:44 pm

Right now we have twelve teams confirmed for the Dennis Haskins Open at UTC on Sat. 3/14/09:

D. A. R. 2 Div. II
Daniel Boone 2 (div’s unknown)
Lincoln County 9th Grade 1 Div. II
Lincoln County High 2 Div. I
Oneida 1 Div. I
Rhea County 1 Div. I
Ringgold 1 Div. I
Rossview 2 Div. I

We have some other maybe’s out there, but between the change of date and the economy, the field size is clearly down from last year’s 40+ teams. On the other hand, especially in Division II, this increases each team’s odds of taking home a trophy. Please let us know at utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com if you’re planning to attend. Thanks.
-- Charlie Steinhice

-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)

Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

RESULTS: Dennis Haskins Open (3/14/09) at UT-Chattanooga

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Congratulations to the winners at UTC’s 12th annual Dennis Haskins Open High School Quizbowl, held in Chattanooga on March 14:

Varsity
1st: Knoxville West A
2nd: Ringgold
3rd: Rossview A
4th: Rossview B

Junior Varsity
1st: Lincoln Co. B
2nd: Knoxville West B
3rd: Lincoln Co. 9th Grade Academy

Full results and individual stats can be found at:

http://results.scobo.net/utcquizbowl

Thanks to Robert Slade and Holly Tinkey of Georgia Perimeter College, Greg Weinstein of Berry University, and Kevin Marshall, Joseph Rohr, et al. from Tulane for their writing and editing contributions. Thanks also to Ruth Jackson and Zach Perry for stats duty, Tiffany Willis for registration, Jacob Vannucci for room setup, and all of the above for officiating. And of course thanks to Mr. Belding himself, Dennis Haskins, for providing those coveted autographed photos to go with the trophies.
-- Charlie Steinhice