Non-DC Metro Virginia 2008-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bvkaraus
Kimahri

Re: Non-DC Metro Virginia 2008-09

Post by bvkaraus »

I wish we had attended more tournaments, so that I might have a better basis on which to predict the results. I can only predict that Heritage will be competitive, if not the victor, in AA.
Ben Karaus
Heritage-Lynchburg (AA Region III)
intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

I'll give my two cents about this, I suppose.

I haven't really played any major single A teams this year, so I don't know too well how that division will turn out. However, Rappahannock County put some admirable numbers reaching the finals of CSI and doing well at EQUINE, so I think they have the best shot of any single A team to win their States. Radford seems to be traditionally good, so I'd say they'd be in the top tiers, too; Honaker's done well at UVA and Robinson, so I'd expect them to be up there too.

Unless the questions are unusual, I don't see any way in which Gov will not win AAA States; they're undoubtedly the best team in the state right now, and the only team I can see perhaps pulling an upset is TJ, although I think TJ will more likely be second. Having played both teams, I feel Gov is a more complete team than TJ (though TJ is pretty much flawless compared to everyone else). From what I've heard, Hickory, Henrico, and Robinson are also pretty good, so I'd also expect those teams to do well.

I don't really know about AA. I think that division will come down to whoever the questions favor, especially with all the quirks of VHSL that somewhat evens the playing field.
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

My thoughts:

I'm not going to predict A, but I think that this could be very unpredictable. Radford will likely be in the top tier, and the scores that Nandua has out up are impressive. George Mason is tough, and they've been tough all season. West Point knocked us out last year, but lost their captain to graduation. We've played Honaker and Auburn and beaten both, but who knows how this is gonna end up.

For AA, I think James Monroe, Charlottesville, Heritage, and Cave Spring will be the top four. One of those could possibly substitute for Salem. It's gonna come down to the questions, but I think James Monroe has the edge. If they can knock off Cave Spring and Charlottesville their first two matches, it might just be them.

For AAA, I think MLWGS and TJHSST will be one and two respectively. I think Fauquier and E.C. Glass will go two and out. I saw Fauquier lose 215-125 to Liberty during the regular season (of course, this is only one match), and Glass was at Auburn and finished in 10th. Henrico, Robinson, Hickory, Ocean Lakes, who knows?

But I'm usually wrong, so who knows.
A.J. Collins
President of the Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team, 2010-2011

Rappahannock County High School '09
Alabama '13

This is ALABAMA QUIZBOWL!
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

A: Rappahannock
AA: James Monroe
AAA: Maggie Walker
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

pretzeldude92 wrote:For AAA, I think MLWGS and TJHSST will be one and two respectively.
Adamantium Claws wrote:AAA: Maggie Walker
Wow, I am not sure I can knowingly put Gov over TJ on questions that focus so heavily on computation. Not that it is any measure of actual academics, TJ really seems to have the edge with this distribution. Obviously, there first match together will likely determine the outcome.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Tower Monarch wrote:
pretzeldude92 wrote:For AAA, I think MLWGS and TJHSST will be one and two respectively.
Wow, I am not sure I can knowingly put Gov over TJ on questions that focus so heavily on computation. Not that it is any measure of actual academics, TJ really seems to have the edge with this distribution. Obviously, there first match together will likely determine the outcome.
yeah that's a sixty point hole Gov could be digging itself into. No one wants to start a match down 60, especially on VHSL.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
Tower Monarch wrote:
yeah that's a sixty point hole Gov could be digging itself into. No one wants to start a match down 60, especially on VHSL.
ITT Harry misses joke?
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Tower Monarch wrote:
Two of the 30 tossups are computation, perhaps 1.

Gov will get to 2 math directeds as will TJ.

Good luck and a safe journey to all teams I will see tomorrow.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

TJ won AAA VHSL States, with MLWGS taking second. The internet tells me Rappahanock won A, and I spoke to Chuhern as he was headed to the finals of AA, but I don't know the result of that game nor do I have any official results beyond AAA 1 and 2, since there wasn't a big meeting at the end like last year. Congrats to TJ, as well as the A and AA winners.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:TJ won AAA VHSL States, with MLWGS taking second. The internet tells me Rappahanock won A, and I spoke to Chuhern as he was headed to the finals of AA, but I don't know the result of that game nor do I have any official results beyond AAA 1 and 2, since there wasn't a big meeting at the end like last year. Congrats to TJ, as well as the A and AA winners.
James Monroe won AA and Heritage was runner-up. I think Charlottesville was third and Cave Spring was fourth.
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Tower Monarch wrote:
You called it, Cameron. You know us all too well. I, too, knew we would not match up very well with TJ on these questions. We gave them a good game in our first meeting of the day. but TJ won going away in the final game. Congratulations to TJ for their victory and for once again helping us add to our collection of VHSL runner-up trophies. Congratulations also to James Monroe for winning in an excellent AA field. Congratulations to the A winner,also. Hopefully someone will identify that winner* soon.

EDIT: *Rappahannock won the A division. Kudos
John Barnes
Maggie Walker Governor's School

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."