Chicago Open

Old college threads.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Chicago Open

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

So, I was doing some summer planning today and began to wonder when Chicago Open might be. I know it's early, but whatever. I'm not sure if anyone else already has plans to get involved, but I'd like to offer to edit the main event. I'd need help on history, science, and phil/ss. Let me know what you think about this plan and/or if you're interested in editing.
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Chicago Open

Post by Mike Bentley »

On that note, is anyone planning on doing the history tournament this year?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I've heard rumors that Jerry and Magin are editing CO together, and that Chris Ray is writing a history side event.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Stuff with me is probably too fluid to commit to writing the history tournament this year, I'm afraid, although my interest in doing so at some point is very strong. That's not to say I'd necessarily rule it out if there's nobody to step up, but at this point the likelihood is probably not so great.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

I should point out that I blow at quizbowl and would be no great loss to the tournament field.
Eric Kwartler
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Hi,

In my bizarre quest to maintain a high difficult-tournaments-edited:played ratio, I've volunteered to help out with some science at this tournament.

GK
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

gkandlikar wrote:Hi,

In my bizarre quest to maintain a high difficult-tournaments-edited:played ratio, I've volunteered to help out with some science at this tournament.

GK
nooooooooooooooooo
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Ukonvasara wrote:

GK
nooooooooooooooooo
Can't help it, man. I started writing my first tossup too.
Gautam - ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

THE DIE IS CAST
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:So, I was doing some summer planning today and began to wonder when Chicago Open might be. I know it's early, but whatever. I'm not sure if anyone else already has plans to get involved, but I'd like to offer to edit the main event. I'd need help on history, science, and phil/ss. Let me know what you think about this plan and/or if you're interested in editing.
Whig's Boson wrote:I've heard rumors that Jerry and Magin are editing CO together

GK
Hey all,

in years past the Chicago Open editorship was offered first to previous CO editors, then opened up to newcomers if the past editors didn't want it. I haven't finished checking in with the past editors yet, so I'd prefer not to open this up just yet--unless lots of people need to know the editing crew in the near future for some reason.

If people need to know the date this far in advance we can try to pick out a date independent of the editing slate, I guess. I will claim that the dates of July 18th, July 25th, August 1st and August 8th are all possibilities; it might turn out that one or more of those dates actually won't work due to scheduling conflicts with summer programs, but that information almost certainly won't be available for a few months--I think the office that handles summer room reservations would not consider my room reservation request for last year's CO until April or May (I forget when, exactly). In the meantime people can post here if they want to register (dis)approval of one or more dates, with the understanding that any consensus we achieve on this board is going to be ignored if there's a problem getting rooms for the most popular dates.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

all right then.
Gautam - ACF
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Whig's Boson wrote:I've heard rumors that Jerry and Magin are editing CO together, and that Chris Ray is writing a history side event.
Rumors of my participation in the CO editing team are wildly exaggerated, especially given Seth's recent post. I won't be able to commit to anything one way or the other until after ROBOT.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

setht wrote:In the meantime people can post here if they want to register (dis)approval of one or more dates, with the understanding that any consensus we achieve on this board is going to be ignored if there's a problem getting rooms for the most popular dates.
Lollapalooza is August 7-9. That might factor in.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

JackGlerum wrote:Lollapalooza is August 7-9. That might factor in.
That still exists?
Jerry Vinokurov
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

setht wrote:
Kit Cloudkicker wrote:So, I was doing some summer planning today and began to wonder when Chicago Open might be. I know it's early, but whatever. I'm not sure if anyone else already has plans to get involved, but I'd like to offer to edit the main event. I'd need help on history, science, and phil/ss. Let me know what you think about this plan and/or if you're interested in editing.
Whig's Boson wrote:I've heard rumors that Jerry and Magin are editing CO together

GK
Hey all,

in years past the Chicago Open editorship was offered first to previous CO editors, then opened up to newcomers if the past editors didn't want it. I haven't finished checking in with the past editors yet, so I'd prefer not to open this up just yet--unless lots of people need to know the editing crew in the near future for some reason.

If people need to know the date this far in advance we can try to pick out a date independent of the editing slate, I guess. I will claim that the dates of July 18th, July 25th, August 1st and August 8th are all possibilities; it might turn out that one or more of those dates actually won't work due to scheduling conflicts with summer programs, but that information almost certainly won't be available for a few months--I think the office that handles summer room reservations would not consider my room reservation request for last year's CO until April or May (I forget when, exactly). In the meantime people can post here if they want to register (dis)approval of one or more dates, with the understanding that any consensus we achieve on this board is going to be ignored if there's a problem getting rooms for the most popular dates.

-Seth
I'll go ahead and renounce any claim I have over science editorship. I'm aiming to turn in my dissertation for Vandy's end-of-July deadline for summer term graduation, so editing for CO around that time seems like not a great idea, unless you want all replacement/editor questions to be about the use of Raman spectroscopy to evaluate breast tumor surgical margin status during partial mastectomies.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

grapesmoker wrote:
That still exists?
I think it happens only in Chicago now. Even so, I'm fairly sure that CO and Lollapalooza peacefully co-existed in 2007.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

vandyhawk wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:
That still exists?
I think it happens only in Chicago now. Even so, I'm fairly sure that CO and Lollapalooza peacefully co-existed in 2007.
Lollapalooza does not concern me outside of securing hotels, but I would rather not see both CO and VCU Open in August since that would make it more difficult to secure time off of work/get the funds to go.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yeah, if this happens in August then I'd like to see VCU Open move up to earlier July.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

vandyhawk wrote:unless you want all replacement/editor questions to be about the use of Raman spectroscopy to evaluate breast tumor surgical margin status during partial mastectomies.
Yes please. I'm sure I could squeeze some early clue-worthy buzzes out of some friends in my department.

Not that it really matters, but my field's major conference ends on July 17 and thus any weekend after that would result in a nonzero chance of me making it to CO for the first time.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Auron

July 26 is my birthday. I'm not sure if I am therefore in favor of July 25 because it could possibly let quizbowl people whom I like attend my party, or against July 25 because the last thing I want to do on my birthday is moderate some trash event.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

As the one summer open that I could easily get to, I would like to see this in July rather than August.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Whig's Boson wrote:July 26 is my birthday. I'm not sure if I am therefore in favor of July 25 because it could possibly let quizbowl people whom I like attend my party, or against July 25 because the last thing I want to do on my birthday is moderate some trash event.
For it, clearly. Partying with quizbowlers outweighs any guilt you may have with skipping trash.
Bernadette Spencer
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

As much as I would gladly offer to edit Chi Open again, I can't do it. I'm taking the bar this July (...24th, I believe?). For that reason, as well, I'd only be able to attend Chi Open if it were held on one of the August dates.

So, I endorse the creation of Kwartler's team. In fact, I helped engineer it, even.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I have a preference for not the weekend of July 25, since the 26th is not only Bruce's birthday but also my dad's, so I may be going to San Diego for that.
Jerry Vinokurov
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I only put my name out there when it appeared that no one else was going to edit CO; if Eric is editing, then I would much rather play.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

tetragrammatology wrote:
Whig's Boson wrote:July 26 is my birthday. I'm not sure if I am therefore in favor of July 25 because it could possibly let quizbowl people whom I like attend my party, or against July 25 because the last thing I want to do on my birthday is moderate some trash event.
For it, clearly. Partying with quizbowlers outweighs any guilt you may have with skipping trash.
This.

I second the desire to see VCU and Chicago Opens in separate months, and would prefer mid July and mid-or late August for them, although I can only attend Chicago Open at the moment.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auron

Also, if Chris Ray cannot write CO History, I will -- out of a strong desire to play CO History again -- offer my full assistance to anyone who wants to put together a CO History Tournament. Short of writing or editing the questions, of course.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

I also support July 19th, or mid-August.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I think it is a good idea for CO and VCU Open to be reasonably spaced out, i.e., not have them both take place in August, or at the very least not on consecutive weekends.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

August 8 + 9 is a likely time for VCU Open weekend this year.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Casting my ballot for any date but July 25th.

I really want to come...
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

July is best for me.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

I would also prefer a date in July.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

I am all for any July date, although I would prefer the 25th. I want a quizbowl birthday!
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

cdcarter wrote:I am all for any July date, although I would prefer the 25th. I want a quizbowl birthday!
Fly to VA and staff Cav Classic. Its traditional date will be the day after my 18th birthday.

In an attempt to avoid derailment: anyone besides Guy have any luck convincing their parents to let them go to this? I would love advice from multiple people as I try to talk my mother into this...hopefully something will work.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Tell them that I can serve as chaperone.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
cdcarter wrote:I am all for any July date, although I would prefer the 25th. I want a quizbowl birthday!
Fly to VA and staff Cav Classic. Its traditional date will be the day after my 18th birthday.

In an attempt to avoid derailment: anyone besides Guy have any luck convincing their parents to let them go to this? I would love advice from multiple people as I try to talk my mother into this...hopefully something will work.
You mean they wouldn't instantly approve of you flying to Chicago to spend a weekend with a group of people likely to be 90% college-age or older guys? Shocking IMO.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Mike is an enjoyable, reasonable, and responsible individual who can drive (unlike so many of us). He comes highly recommended!
Bernadette Spencer
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

tetragrammatology wrote:Mike is an enjoyable, reasonable, and responsible individual who can drive (unlike so many of us). He comes highly recommended!
Mike Cheynem: would buy again!!! A+++++++
Saiem Gilani
Florida State '12, '1X
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I too would like to say I spent my birthday dong quizbowl stuff.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

tetragrammatology wrote:Mike is an enjoyable, reasonable, and responsible individual who can drive (unlike so many of us). He comes highly recommended!
Mike Cheyne: Kid tested, mother approved!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

Cheynem wrote:Tell them that I can serve as chaperone.
Likewise, odds are good I'll be at CO, I'm happy to reassure parents, etc.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:In an attempt to avoid derailment: anyone besides Guy have any luck convincing their parents to let them go to this? I would love advice from multiple people as I try to talk my mother into this...hopefully something will work.
I would also appreciate some sort of advice or help in talking my mother into this. I don't think the presence of Mike Cheyne will quite sway her as much as it would sway some.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Probably it would be worth floating the fact that high school luminaries Charles Dees and Guy Tabachnick have traveled in to play this tournament before, and I don't think either of us have been molested.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Probably it would be worth floating the fact that high school luminaries Charles Dees and Guy Tabachnick have traveled in to play this tournament before, and I don't think either of us have been molested.
Guy's mother came along, though.

Seriously, some parents are going to be more relaxed about this than others, and some probably won't be convinced. For those who are more laid-back, a few older qbers who can best pass as grown-ups can perhaps coordinate to assure parents that their kids aren't going to be traveling alone/lost in the big city/in trouble - especially if we're talking about loosely matching people by region, actually meeting said concerned parents at tournaments (at HSNCT/PACE if need be), etc.
Katy
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

fleurdelivre wrote: For those who are more laid-back, a few older qbers who can best pass as grown-ups can perhaps coordinate to assure parents that their kids aren't going to be traveling alone/lost in the big city/in trouble - especially if we're talking about loosely matching people by region, actually meeting said concerned parents at tournaments (at HSNCT/PACE if need be), etc.
That's probably the best thing. Barring the ability to meet parents, phone calls with the more responsible-sounding quizbowlers might be similarly reassuring.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

fleurdelivre wrote:
Cheynem wrote:Tell them that I can serve as chaperone.
Likewise, odds are good I'll be at CO, I'm happy to reassure parents, etc.
Given that I'd probably need to hitch a ride with VCU and Matt likes to do things like drive to Chicago in one shot, most likely it seems that I would just need to guarantee Ma that I will have an acceptable (i.e. female) roommate when we get there. She let me take off to Terrapin and didn't kill me when I got home at 2 AM, so she's pretty cool.

The method Guy used of getting his mom to come along would work if she can get off work, but that will depend on a number of things. Thanks for the help, guys.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:Given that I'd probably need to hitch a ride with VCU and Matt likes to do things like drive to Chicago in one shot, most likely it seems that I would just need to guarantee Ma that I will have an acceptable (i.e. female) roommate when we get there. She let me take off to Terrapin and didn't kill me when I got home at 2 AM, so she's pretty cool.
My usual strategy for these kinds of things is to crash with friends in town, but if there's at least one other girl in your basic situation, I'd be more than happy to go in on hotel space for that reason alone. We've got plenty of time and lots of goodwill - something will work out.
Katy
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

fleurdelivre wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:Given that I'd probably need to hitch a ride with VCU and Matt likes to do things like drive to Chicago in one shot, most likely it seems that I would just need to guarantee Ma that I will have an acceptable (i.e. female) roommate when we get there. She let me take off to Terrapin and didn't kill me when I got home at 2 AM, so she's pretty cool.
My usual strategy for these kinds of things is to crash with friends in town, but if there's at least one other girl in your basic situation, I'd be more than happy to go in on hotel space for that reason alone. We've got plenty of time and lots of goodwill - something will work out.
That would be awesome of you, Katy. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to find a third girl, but like you said, there's a lot of time yet. I won't even be able to approach my mom about me going to this until there's a date set, as coming with me would probably be her first choice but would also be hard for her to do...I'm just really glad to have a few options in mind before I talk to her.
Sam L,
PACE
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

All right, everyone, it's official. I will serve as head editor for this year's Chicago Open. While my primary desire is always to work around the schedule of Ryan Westbrook, it seems unlikely that we'll be able to do this in August. At this point I'd guess a date in mid-july is more likely. My judicial internship ends on July 3rd, so I'd want at least two weeks after that to finish the tournament. So while we should talk more, let's think about July 18th as a date for now. Please air your grievances if you have them.

As Gautam posted, I have asked him to join the team as a science editor, but I know he'd rather not do physics and other science so if you'd like to volunteer please email me. I have one candidate in mind, but he has yet to respond to my request. I also will need history and phil/ss editors. I can edit those things if absolutely necessary, but I'm sure the field would rather have experts working on those areas.

Seth has also delegated the responsibility of evaluating bids for side tournaments and granting time slots to me. Bids will be evaluated based on a number of factors including how much interest there is in the event, so I urge people to post about any side tournaments they would like to create (along with emailing me) and/or whether they'd be likely to attend any contemplated events.

Oh, and for now we can assume that the tournament will be packet submission, though I have not taken the idea of a house-written event off the table.

Questions? Comments? Excited utterances?

Edit: Oh, and as a fairly responsible person and the individual in charge I'd also be willing to speak to parents and reassure them that nothing untoward ever goes on at Chicago Open.
Eric Kwartler