Boise State tournament, April 18: Boise, Idaho

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
tiwonge
Tidus

Boise State tournament, April 18: Boise, Idaho

Post by tiwonge » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:12 pm

We're pleased to announce the first NAQT tournament in Idaho. I don't know if there's more than one other person from Idaho on here, but I'll be including this site in the information about the tournament, so I'll post it here, too.

Our yet-unnamed tournament will be held on April 18 on the campus of Boise State University. We'll be using NAQT packet IS-84A and standard NAQT high school rules.

Registration fee: $75 (includes one copy of the questions per school)
Discounts for buzzer system (-$10), moderator (if needed) (-$10), new school (-$15) and multiple teams from the same school (-$15).

We're probably likely to be flexible with our pricing because we want to offer this tournament to as many schools as we can handle. Contact us if there's any problems.

This tournament is a qualifying tournament for the NAQT HSNCT, and we're working on getting it to be a qualifying tournament for PACE (although it is a bit late, and since their registration is first come, first serve, this may be moot?)

To register, e-mail boiseqb@gmail.com or post here.

If we get a lot of interest (I can only hope!), I may have to cap the tournament based on the number of rooms or moderators we have available.

Please let me know if there are any questions about this.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams

AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Boise State tournament, April 18: Boise, Idaho

Post by AKKOLADE » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:26 am

tiwonge wrote:This tournament is a qualifying tournament for the NAQT HSNCT, and we're working on getting it to be a qualifying tournament for PACE (although it is a bit late, and since their registration is first come, first serve, this may be moot?)
Addressing the PACE portion of this only, obviously - if a team wishes to go to PACE but has yet to qualify, this does not mean they have to just hope they qualify and register before the field closes.

First of all, it's important to note that PACE's field is not yet filled - in fact, as I write this, we have 42 spots available for registration.

Starting March 1, 2009, PACE will begin accepting wild card applications for the 2009 NSC. As stated in our qualification information page on our website, "(t)eams from regions without easily accessible affiliated tournaments and teams who repeatedly finished just below the qualification zone in regions with many qualifying teams are encouraged to apply for wild-card bids. We will also accept wild-card bids from “B” and “C” teams representing schools whose “A” teams qualified automatically, but such bids are less likely to be accepted than the other two types."
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

tiwonge
Tidus

Post by tiwonge » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:55 am

Just to bump this thread up, in case schools have been getting my flyers and letters have been here looking for it.

Tentatively, River Stone International School will be in attendance. Hopefully, I'll be able to meet more coaches and schools today as the larger regional high schools will be on campus for the INL Science Bowl.

Edit: Also, we named the tournament the Bronco Bowl, and it is PACE-affiliated now.
PACE

tiwonge
Tidus

Post by tiwonge » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:06 pm

Another bump, after the INL Science Bowl (state tournament) and mailings have gone out.

Probable schools:
Rocky Mountain High School
River Stone International School
Centennial High School

Possible schools:
Bishop Kelly High School
Mackay High School
Treasure Valley Math & Science School
PACE

at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Centennial High School
You guys must have quite a large budget to be able to travel cross-country for a tournament.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:08 pm

Anti-Climacus wrote:
Centennial High School
You guys must have quite a large budget to be able to travel cross-country for a tournament.
You know...It's probably a Centennial High School in Idaho...http://chs.meridianschools.org...It's a pretty common name.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)

tiwonge
Tidus

Post by tiwonge » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:17 am

The deadline for registration for the tournament has come and gone, with the following teams registered for the tournament:

Bishop Kelly

:(

Hopefully, I can convince some other schools to come so that we can actually do something this Saturday.
PACE

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:01 am

Oh no :(
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Did you end up having any luck with this, Colin?
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19

tiwonge
Tidus

Post by tiwonge » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Rather than just give up and cancel it, I termed it an "exhibition," and eliminated the fee to encourage schools to come. Even so, we just had students from Bishop Kelly come (but not their coach!).

There were 6 of them, so we let them split themselves into two teams and just ran some rounds to give them a taste of what real quiz bowl is like. We ran some timed and some untimed rounds (and they kept re-arranging teams after every round--it was kind of cute the way they did that), and played until they got hungry and wanted to stop for lunch. They had fun, and enjoyed it, but I'm kind of disappointed about the turnout overall. Of the 6 of them, 4 were underclassmen (and 1 of the seniors will be coming here next year, so I hope that I can lure him onto our team), so they will probably be back next time. We ended the exhibition with a round where 3 of the college members played a game against all 6 of the high school team. This wasn't my idea--I knew it wouldn't be close, and I would have preferred a 1 v. 6 matchup or something. I was actually hoping to get a team v. coach exhibition, but their coach didn't show up.

I'll try again next semester, and I won't be as passive. This time, I sent out the letters and told people about it, and just sort of assumed that they'd contact me to sign up. Next time, I'll need to be a bit more aggressive--the people who I was in contact with seemed open to it, but the date was on prom day for one school, another school didn't want to commit until there were more teams playing. I got one response from the 40 or so letters I sent out from an administrator who is proposing this to the board as an academic enrichment or something, but not until next academic year.

I know two more schools that would also be good schools--I just need to get an e-mail address or a phone number so that I can talk to somebody individually and try to get them to come.

I'm sure that there are enough interested schools in the Treasure Valley to get something started. This sort of thing isn't my strong point, but I think if I start from the beginning of the school year and build on what I currently have, I may be able to get something running for early Fall.
PACE

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:51 pm

That's cool, Colin. Glad that some kids were able to show up and have fun.

Let me know when you have the next one scheduled and I'll see what can be done to help out.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19