IHSA Sectionals Results and State prognostication

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

IHSA Sectionals Results and State prognostication

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Morrison has won the Winnebago sectional after 2 games.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Re: IHSA Sectionals Results and State prognostication

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

styxman wrote:Morrison has won the Winnebago sectional after 2 games.
Stevenson moved on from our sectional, beating us for the title in the last game. They were very solid and I would be surprised if they lose to anybody other than Auburn in their pool.

As for questions, they were greatly improved from Regionals. The distribution was what they said it would be, and questions were put in the correct category. Out of the 90 tossups, only two were atrocious. One was in the first round and was labeled as Earth Science while the second was a lit question that came in the final round that had the worst lead-in in history.
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

As of 2:11 CDT:

Stevenson won the Stevenson sectional 3-0
Loyola beat New Trier by 17 in Round 3 to win their sectional 3-0
Rockford Auburn easily won their sectional 3-0
Naperville Central advanced over IMSA and WWS, all 2-1, by 27 points to win the WWS sectional.
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

:f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5:
Lisle vs. Latin match why won't you display!?!? <--- Interrobang, btw.

EDIT: UPDATE Latin continues the dynasty, 3-0 to advance to State.
Last edited by mlaird on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Can somebody check my math, because I calculated that WWS outscored Naperville Central based on the scores in the Scorezone?
Nicholas Bergeon
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

BG MSL Champs wrote:Can somebody check my math, because I calculated that WWS outscored Naperville Central based on the scores in the Scorezone?
You only count the games against the tied teams. In other words, the scores in matches against NN are simply disregarded, as NN finished 0-3.
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

HF just went 3-0 to win their sectional.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

So the Class A pools look like this:

Pool 1:
Litchfield
Morrison
Warrensburg-Latham
Altamont

Pool 2:
Columbia
Peoria Christian
Latin
Macomb

Who comes out here?
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

mlaird wrote:So the Class A pools look like this:

Pool 1:
Litchfield
Morrison
Warrensburg-Latham
Altamont

Pool 2:
Columbia
Peoria Christian
Latin
Macomb

Who comes out here?
As much as I hate to say it, another Decatur area team gets into the final. I see Warrensburg-Latham winning pool 1, and getting smacked down by Latin. Randomly picking Morrison 3rd, Columbia 4th.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

mlaird wrote:So the Class A pools look like this:

Pool 1:
Litchfield
Morrison
Warrensburg-Latham
Altamont

Pool 2:
Columbia
Peoria Christian
Latin
Macomb

Who comes out here?
1. Warrensburg-Latham
2. Latin
3. Litchfield
4. Peoria Christian
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Class AA pools look like this:

Pool 1:
Auburn
Hinsdale South
Homewood-Flossmoor
Stevenson

Pool 2:
Loyola
Carbondale
Springfield
Naperville Central

Who comes out here?
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

mlaird wrote:Class AA pools look like this:

Pool 1:
Auburn
Hinsdale South
Homewood-Flossmoor
Stevenson

Pool 2:
Loyola
Carbondale
Springfield
Naperville Central

Who comes out here?
Auburn
Carbondale
Loyola
Stevenson
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Given the Math I'm going to go:

Class AA
Carbondale
Auburn
Loyola
Stevenson

And from what I've seen/heard:

Class A
Litchfield
Peoria Christian
Warrensburg-Latham
Latin
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Congratulations to the sectional champions who earned their trips down state. A few of these sectionals were tougher than others, and some of these teams really worked hard to get there.

The WWS sectional looked like it was the wild, wild, west or something. Were there any injuries?
TheTeen
Lulu

Post by TheTeen »

Today we (Litchfield) had a difficult time with New Berlin the first half but pulled ahead second half, but had a fairly easy sectional besides that. Really looking forward to seeing Peoria Christian, Latin, Warrensburg and us, I guess, "battle it out". Looking at sectional scores, it should be some tight scores. Congratulations all of those who made it to state!
Michael Shade
Litchfield High School
mark vigil
Kimahri

Post by mark vigil »

At the WWS sectional, Naperville Central played Naperville North at the 2nd round. The questions were much harder that round, and for them, that was the score that did not go toward the tyebreaker.

(User was banned for one day for this post for posting without appropriate signature after multiple warnings, first ban.)
Really not good enough to be posting on this board
shucks
Kimahri

Post by shucks »

it was unfortunate mark.
i am lamenting.
why did they up the difficulty by so much?
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I thought the questions were pretty good today. The biggest problems were the categories (most bad questions were from bad subcategories), the uneven bonus difficulty, and a few very difficult tossups. That's not what cost us the match against Loyola--those factors allowed us to keep the match close.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

IHSA Interactive Scorezone wrote: Petersburg (PORTA) 265 F
Bloomington (Central Catholic) 164
Porta awarded 30 points at the beginning of round 4 due to mis-match uniforms from Bloomington Central.
I <3 IHSA :roll:
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
shucks
Kimahri

Post by shucks »

2nd round 1st half
those tossups were very difficult, as seen in the low score by wws

in contrast with the high scores against both naperville central and north
i think the question writers are at fault

one other comment:
a math tossup in the first half should have read,
find the perimeter of triangle ____ which is formed by the equiangular triangle...
the other team buzzed in early, saying 21, thinking that the question was going for the perimeter

these questions should clearly state what to find at the beginning of the question so that fast people can buzz in early
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Stephen Colbert wrote: Porta awarded 30 points at the beginning of round 4 due to mis-match uniforms from Bloomington Central.
My favorite uniform story occurred one time when I was timing a wrestling meet. About a minute into the match, the opposing coach stops the match, and informs the ref that our wrestler is not wearing an undergarment (which is apparently a rule). The ref asks him if he is. He is not, and runs to the locker room to get his underwear on, all the time his injury time ticking away. He does not return in time, and forfeits the match. Maine South beat them anyway.

As we were waiting for his return, our coach, upset at this other coach pulling this stunt, sarcastically asks the team if anyone else is commando. Two guys slide off their chairs and run for the locker room.

So, in conclusion: you got your wrestler a forfeit win, which no one will care about toward future seeding, you did not help your team win a meet, which you knew you were losing anyway, and what you did accomplish is announcing to your team that you spend at least part of the time checking out the other guy's butt looking for the tell tale lines of underwear. In the end, what have you truly gained?

I know at least one scholastic bowl coach who, upon entering a room, will creepily check out the opposition for matching tops. I know they think they are helping their team. They aren't. Getting rid of this rule and writing a sensible common sense "appropriate attire required" would be a great benefit to players, schools, coaches, and TDs.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Stephen Colbert wrote:Porta awarded 30 points at the beginning of round 4 due to mis-match uniforms from Bloomington Central.
Illinois edges closer to getting its own sarcastic emoticon.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

I think that over the last few days we've said just about every bad thing we can say about the IHSA, their wonderful question-writing, and their applicable and relevant rules.

I say we depart from that theme and start saying some good things about the IHSA. I'll start with three of the nicest things I can say.

1. I really think that their question writing favors renaissance men. Do you ballroom dance? I sure do. As if your pitiful chemical reactions will ever be as important to the fate of the world as my white triangles! I worked at Home Depot for three years and all I got was this lousy bonus! I know you people on the forums here are fans of something called "reading classic literature" and something else called "learning about history," but I really don't see the point of those frivolous activities, nor do I understand why History and Science (Blasphemy Institutionalized) are even topics in scholastic bowl.

2. The IHSA is a trail-blazer in equal-opportunity scholastic bowl. In other sports, I feel like I am unable to advance in the state playoffs because I am sent to another part of the state to play in one of 16 equally-skilled sectionals. I am really glad that the IHSA organizes its state playoffs by geography because my geographic area lacks good teams. I mean, if the best team I play is Stevenson, BG, or New Trier, I can guarantee that I will advance to state every year, where I will play teams who come out of unbelievably competitive sectionals and who will be too tired out to compete with my prowess in Industrial Arts and Agriculture.

3. I will admit, I am a fashion guru. Nothing makes me happier than to see a scholastic bowl team with matching tops. I mean, there have been occasions where I have reminded teams not to commit certain fashion no-no's (Hawaiian shirts were SO 1985), but overall I am glad that the IHSA supports the efforts of fashionistas like me in beautifying this otherwise uncultured sport and forcing these masters of the faux-pas to look their best. From this day forward, I, Jeff "Save Computational Math" Geringer, will crusade for the betterment of the appearances of all scholastic bowl teams. Quite frankly, I think a 30 point penalty isn't enough and that this rule isn't restrictive as it should be. I propose an addition to the rule that forces players to comb their hair, shave their beards, tuck in their shirts, and wear matching pants. Violators of this rule will be taken outside and shot. After all, any player who comes to a scholastic bowl tournament looking anything less than their best should want to die anyway.

Now, come on gentlemen, I know you have it in you to say some nice things. Who's with me?
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

SaveComputationalMath wrote:After all, any player who comes to a scholastic bowl tournament looking anything less than their best should want to die anyway.
I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

SaveComputationalMath wrote:...funny stuff...
You are my favorite new hsquizbowl member. That is all.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Don't worry, be happy.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

SaveComputationalMath wrote:I think that over the last few days we've said just about every bad thing we can say about the IHSA, their wonderful question-writing, and their applicable and relevant rules.

I say we depart from that theme and start saying some good things about the IHSA. I'll start with three of the nicest things I can say.

1. I really think that their question writing favors renaissance men. Do you ballroom dance? I sure do. As if your pitiful chemical reactions will ever be as important to the fate of the world as my white triangles! I worked at Home Depot for three years and all I got was this lousy bonus! I know you people on the forums here are fans of something called "reading classic literature" and something else called "learning about history," but I really don't see the point of those frivolous activities, nor do I understand why History and Science (Blasphemy Institutionalized) are even topics in scholastic bowl.

2. The IHSA is a trail-blazer in equal-opportunity scholastic bowl. In other sports, I feel like I am unable to advance in the state playoffs because I am sent to another part of the state to play in one of 16 equally-skilled sectionals. I am really glad that the IHSA organizes its state playoffs by geography because my geographic area lacks good teams. I mean, if the best team I play is Stevenson, BG, or New Trier, I can guarantee that I will advance to state every year, where I will play teams who come out of unbelievably competitive sectionals and who will be too tired out to compete with my prowess in Industrial Arts and Agriculture.

3. I will admit, I am a fashion guru. Nothing makes me happier than to see a scholastic bowl team with matching tops. I mean, there have been occasions where I have reminded teams not to commit certain fashion no-no's (Hawaiian shirts were SO 1985), but overall I am glad that the IHSA supports the efforts of fashionistas like me in beautifying this otherwise uncultured sport and forcing these masters of the faux-pas to look their best. From this day forward, I, Jeff "Save Computational Math" Geringer, will crusade for the betterment of the appearances of all scholastic bowl teams. Quite frankly, I think a 30 point penalty isn't enough and that this rule isn't restrictive as it should be. I propose an addition to the rule that forces players to comb their hair, shave their beards, tuck in their shirts, and wear matching pants. Violators of this rule will be taken outside and shot. After all, any player who comes to a scholastic bowl tournament looking anything less than their best should want to die anyway.

Now, come on gentlemen, I know you have it in you to say some nice things. Who's with me?
I've duly noted your application and qualifications, and I've forwarded your resume to Q uestions G alore for their forthcoming IESA State Series set. When they interview though, be sure to mention the need for more hoses in MS sets, and you'll be offered a job on the spot. :grin:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

shucks wrote:2nd round 1st half
those tossups were very difficult, as seen in the low score by wws

in contrast with the high scores against both naperville central and north
i think the question writers are at fault

one other comment:
a math tossup in the first half should have read,
find the perimeter of triangle ____ which is formed by the equiangular triangle...
the other team buzzed in early, saying 21, thinking that the question was going for the perimeter

these questions should clearly state what to find at the beginning of the question so that fast people can buzz in early
Though I think that you are overstating the difficulty in the second round, you do have a point. When your team misses state by less than 30 points, any one question can make the difference. The solution is to count every game when figuring out the total score. While a team still could possibly get screwed over, I think it would be less likely. You guys are a solid team and should do well as HSNCT, a much better test of skill than the IHSA.
SaveComputationalMath wrote:I think that over the last few days we've said just about every bad thing we can say about the IHSA, their wonderful question-writing, and their applicable and relevant rules.

Yeah, I agree with you. I assume part of this is done to even out the parts of the state, but they still suck. Believe it or not, the Home Depot Question was a major improvement over one that a remember from last year, as you could come up with academic knowledge-based guesses. (Also, as I was writing this, a Roundup commercial came on, making me laugh).

That said, your posts have missed the bigger issue that I see. The problem is that the IHSA appears to have an attitude that the regional questions do not need to be good, as any State Champion competitor will win anyways. This thinking is dangerous as it penalizes worthy teams who have played (gasp) good questions. There should not be a noticable difference in question quality between Regionals and Sectionals. If you had given me a set of the questions ahead of time and arranged them randomly, I could have told you which ones were regionals and which ones were sectionals. If they recognize inferior questions (which they clearly do, as they were almost all put in Regionals), then they should not give students these questions.

As for geography, it is bound to be somewhat unfair. I think that regional teams need to be close to each other. However, it would not be hard to put a regional in Central Illinois against a regional in the Suburbs for sectionals. I shake in fear at the thought of a sectional in three years with Stevenson, Fremd, Barrington, BG, Viator, Meadows, Lake Zurich, and Carmel, as all of these schools are either solid programs or have solid Frosh/Soph Teams.

Finally, there needs to be more editors, preferably somebody like an Egan or even a coach like a Reinstein. There should no way that an Anna Karenina toss-up should begin "Someone should tell this main character to watch out for the train".
Nicholas Bergeon
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

BG MSL Champs wrote:
shucks wrote:There should no way that an Anna Karenina toss-up should begin "Someone should tell this main character to watch out for the train".
:w-hat: :w-hat: :w-hat: :w-hat: :w-hat: :w-hat: :w-hat: :chip: :chip: :chip: :chip: :chip:

I have not seen the questions (since I'm no longer in Illinois), but here are my few suggestions for making the State Series better:
1. Change the distribution. I won't elaborate any more than others have, but every time a spelling, grammar, or vocabulary question appears, one question on real literature is getting jobbed. Also, sayonara, Illinois trivia. We hardly knew your 102 counties, Charles Mound, and your loony state constitution.
2. Ditch the bad IHSA bonus format, as it prevents good bonus questions from being written in favor of "call-response" bonuses that seem to be popular among bad question writers.
3. Stop putting phrases like "identify the two word term" and such at the beginning of the question. Instead of using such phrases, research all possible answers and include those. (Our myocardial infarction question would no longer have the opening sentence but would now accept heart attack and cardiac arrest, as they are clear-knowledge equivalents.) Such phrases, as well as their cousins, "identify the n-letter word," "identify the x-syllable __part of speech__" and the like merely increase transparency and serve to hose players that have a mostly correct answer that does not fit all the constraints. I remember at Sectionals one year our captain was negged after buzzing in on "The mazurka, the waltz" with "Polish" when the answer sought was "Poland." That is not good quizbowl.
4. Ditch the loony uniform rule. From looking at the rule, we could have been dinged for it because some of our Hawaiian shirts have patches in memory of the late Steve Wilkerson (sp?) and others don't. I can understand the need for decorum at Scholastic Bowl, but giving (football) coaches a wide range of latitude to find faults in the opponent's CLOTHING to get any possible advantage is just ridiculous.
5. If the rounds have good questions, making them 20/20 instead of 30/30 will allow more rounds to be played. Even though an upset will have more chance of occurring, when more games are played, not every game is the end of the world, as it essentially is in the current State Series.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

rjaguar3 wrote:Also, sayonara, Illinois trivia. We hardly knew your 102 counties, Charles Mound, and your loony state constitution.
These questions are inherently unfair .... but too many people think state history is "important". Aspects of it might be, but being that it creates inherently unfair advantages, it needs to be severely limited.

rjaguar3 wrote:2. Ditch the bad IHSA bonus format, as it prevents good bonus questions from being written in favor of "call-response" bonuses that seem to be popular among bad question writers.
Not happening any time soon ..... too many people think their kids aren't smart enough to think that fast. I for one think they are, and that some coaches don't think very highly of hteir players. That's just me though.
rjaguar3 wrote:3. Stop putting phrases like "identify the two word term" and such at the beginning of the question.
The "tradition", if you will, of using that as a part of some leadins, was to avoid hoses. Regretfully, what has become of it is that it creates to tight an interpretation ..... some people think it overrides the "extra correct information" rule when it shouldn't ..... but again, there are a lot of coaches who are all about creating technicalities to hose down better teams. The "Two word answer" leadin was supposed to be a guide to help players; not used as a restriction on taking otherwise correct answers.

rjaguar3 wrote:4. Ditch the loony uniform rule.
Yep.

rjaguar3 wrote:If the rounds have good questions, making them 20/20 instead of 30/30 will allow more rounds to be played. Even though an upset will have more chance of occurring, when more games are played, not every game is the end of the world, as it essentially is in the current State Series.
I wouldn't have a problem, but the IHSA has a big problem with round robins ..... a few years ago they were even thinking about getting rid of it at sectionals/state, but it survived. All things being equal, I would rather keep things as is rather than risk losing a far from perfect (though significantly better than what we used to have) system.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Tegan wrote:I wouldn't have a problem, but the IHSA has a big problem with round robins
Could you elaborate on this some? I'm curious as to what the arguments against a round robin tournament would be.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

A.F. wrote:
Tegan wrote:I wouldn't have a problem, but the IHSA has a big problem with round robins
Could you elaborate on this some? I'm curious as to what the arguments against a round robin tournament would be.
"No other sport has a round robin."
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Well then, how is bass fishing organized?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

but too many people think state history is "important". Aspects of it might be, but being that it creates inherently unfair advantages, it needs to be severely limited.
The sad thing is, there are Illinois state history topics that are legitimately important topics in american history (Haymarket Square comes to mind, as does the architecture of Chicago). If people are going to demand local history, why not write it on stuff like that?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Anti-Climacus wrote:
but too many people think state history is "important". Aspects of it might be, but being that it creates inherently unfair advantages, it needs to be severely limited.
The sad thing is, there are Illinois state history topics that are legitimately important topics in american history (Haymarket Square comes to mind, as does the architecture of Chicago). If people are going to demand local history, why not write it on stuff like that?
Because that favors the ELITE CHICAGO TEAMS.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Indeed. And outside of the Chicago area, the Lincoln-Douglas debates, any Lincolniana [if that's the right word], the Dana House, and the Mormons leaving Nauvoo, what significant history does this state really have, compared to the original thirteen, California, Texas and Florida?

During the one line era I was always asked to write an "Illinois theme" and I was always hard pressed to do it. If I lived in Virginia, New York--or even Rhode Island--I would have had a far easier time of it.

Not an impassioned Illinois irredentist.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Hey, I split the discussion of local and state history to here.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Just as background, here are some of the questions that were actually used in the IHSA Series...
Round 1 Bonus on Pekin/Marion/Cicero/Rockford
Round 1 Tossup on Illinois State Gaming Board
Round 1 Tossup on Kaskaskia River (Okaw allowed as alternative answer)
Round 2 Bonus on Chicago/Vermilion/Kankakee/Big Muddy/Ohio Rivers
Round 2 Bonus on seven SC judges/five appellate districts/AG Madigan/Seventh Circuit
Round 2 Tossup on Townships
Round 2 Tossup on Illinois Appellate Court
Round 2 Bonus on Wrigley Field/Baha'i Temple/Starved Rock/Allerton
Round 2 Tossup on Charles Mound

These rounds were 30/30, but I think we all agree that this is too much Illinois for two rounds. The fact that Rounds 4-6 had not a single Illinois question shows poor distributing, if nothing else. I think it is also easy to see why there was a lot of groaning caused by these questions. There were some good questions in the packets, which made these questions stand out even though there were also some bad questions that had nothing to do with Illinois.

The rounds are supposed to be 6/6 Social Studies, which includes most of the questions above, though the Wrigley bonus was Miscellaneous. Social Studies is supposed to be divided up so that Government, Geography, US History, and World History are major topics, and Economics, Current Events, and Social Science are minor topics, though there is no specifics on what the difference is between major and minor topics. I think it is a mistake to have Government as a major subcategory, and I would like to see more History, and I plan to make those proposals next month.

To add to the ongoing debate, another problem I have with state-specific questions is that they make the state tournament different than the rest of the year. Throughout the year, we use questions that are designed for national use, and I don't think we want to have content that is only worth studying for the state series. I can see why questions would be worded differently (eg Saying the seventh and final one took place in Alton might be a good early clue outside of Illinois, but it would be more of a giveaway inside Illinois; also a tossup from Terrapin Invitational on our open Senate seat did not play well in Illinois because people mentioned in the leadin are well known here), but I don't know if you want more Abraham Lincoln/Adlai Stevenson/Joseph Cannon/barbed wire questions because we're in Illinois. If somebody wants to argue for an extra 0.5/0.5 or a way to round out bonus questions, then it's not something I feel strongly about either way.

(Sorry about missing the split. Do your thing, Mods.)
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Good luck to everyone at IHSA State this weekend!
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Stephen Colbert
Wakka

A return to prognostication:

Class A:
1. Latin
2. Litchfield
3. Peoria Christian
4. Warrensburg-Latham

Class AA:
1. Auburn
2. Carbondale
3. Stevenson
4. Loyola
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Now that I have another TA covering for me, I'm thinking of heading down to Peoria to watch the state tournament tomorrow. Granted, this will seriously reduce my ability to watch college basketball. So, I figure I can catch some semi-competitive matches in round two (Auburn v. Stevenson) and round three (Loyola v. Carbondale), but any bets on the match to watch in round one? My choices are between Warrensburg-Latham v. Morrison, Altamont v. Litchfield, Peoria Christian v. Columbia, Latin v. Macomb, Auburn v. Hinsdale South, Stevenson v. H-F, Naperville Central v. Loyola, and Carbondale v. Springfield. ITT you decide which first round match I'll attend.
Nathan Hollinsaid
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Latin vs. Macomb. You haven't scheduled a Class A match, and I think the contrast could be enlightening. If there's a class A match I'd be interested in, this is it, given Macomb won the Class AA championship last year in IESA.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Carbondale-Springfield - Carl from Springfield is considering Lawrence and I'd love a scouting report. Also, it's the below-Chicagoland championship.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne