Potential tournament schedules:

15 teams: full RR, finals
16 teams: 2x8, rebracket, 2x8, finals
18 teams: 2x9, rebracket, 3x6, finals
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Fake ICT 2 Mirror at UIUC - March 21st

Post by Cheynem »

Barring any last-minute changes, Minnesota will have two teams. Rather than form a third team, at least one (probably two--myself and Bernadette) of its members will play with Jonathan Magin and Michael Hill.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Minnesota plans to bring two teams, and I think Mike and Bernadette will be playing with Jonathan Magin.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Oh, uh, sorry...to respond to Seth, I don't know what time we'll be getting done on Saturday, but I'll make every effort to speed things along. My tournament should take about the same amount of time to play as it did last year, and I think 9 or 10 is doable, if FICHTE goes well. Why do you ask about 9 - do the buildings close at 9 or something, or is that just the number you've chosen as "nice time to be done playing qb"?

As for basketball, I'd love to throw my hat in, but I don't think my FICHTE itinerary will allow it. I'll be getting there late on Friday and probably leaving Sunday morning.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think the 9 time was a reference to when one of the rec buildings closed.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

I emailed you Don, but to be sure you are aware, Case will unfortunately not be able to attend.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Noted. Ike, you still coming?
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

Yes I am, I believe Trevor Davis will be getting a ride with me.
Ike
UIUC 13
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

Ike wrote:Yes I am, I believe Trevor Davis will be getting a ride with me.
correct
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Field as of right now:

Brown
Chicago A
Chicago B
Harvard
Minnesota A
Minnesota B
Michigan A
Michigan B
Missouri State
Billy LaferDeesBrook
Jon Magin/Minnesota people/Mike Hill
Rom + Bryce

Free Agents
Ike
Trevor Davis

Unless we get to 16 teams, I plan on running a simple full RR, with finals.
Last edited by dtaylor4 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

So, what's the deal with Fake Trashionals? In theory, I suppose it can't be canceled if it was never actually announced. Any suggestions for what I can do in scenic Urbana until 730pm on Sunday night?
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
MichaelKearney
Lulu

Post by MichaelKearney »

I'd also like to know the status of Fake TRASHionals, since I was planning on bringing a team solely for it.

It seems that there were a lot of teams at this site who wanted to play, regardless of the status of the Tulsa/Berkeley sites.
Is it actually in a playable format? I'd understand if it wasn't done, but I don't understand postponing it for the sake of other regions.
Michael Kearney, Vanderbilt '02
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

MichaelKearney wrote:I'd also like to know the status of Fake TRASHionals, since I was planning on bringing a team solely for it.

It seems that there were a lot of teams at this site who wanted to play, regardless of the status of the Tulsa/Berkeley sites.
Is it actually in a playable format? I'd understand if it wasn't done, but I don't understand postponing it for the sake of other regions.
At this time, it is postponed.
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

I will be teaming up with Bryce Durgin, another player from Notre Dame, and a hopeful fourth player TBD for this Fake ICT 2 Mirror at UIUC.

Happy consecutive Friday the 13th,
Rom Masrour
CPS/UIC
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Due to teammates dropping and the fact that Michael already got a team, I am going to instead offer myself and possibly one other teammate as free agents for another team. The unfortunate part of this too is that now we don't really have the money to pay for a hotel, so if anyone has somewhere for us to sleep on the floor (and we can split if needed too) please email me at [email protected].
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

As it stands, we're at 13 teams. Assuming this holds, I plan on putting any remaining free agents onto one team to avoid byes.

Also: given the staffing shortage, it is likely that teams will be asked to read on their byes. For the two player/reader rooms, I plan on setting up guest accounts to access the wireless network, as packets and scoresheets will be transmitted wirelessly.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Due to my inability to remember emails sent to me more than two days ago, I have more readers than previously thought. However, teams will be asked to scorekeep on their byes. We likely will be using the excel scoresheet template, so please bring your laptop.

Assuming the field holds as is, I will put Ike and Trevor Davis on a team, and do a bracketed round robin (2x7), followed by another (2x7). The top 3 in each bracket will make the top bracket, and the two 4th place teams will play a round on the clock to determine who makes the top bracket. Preliminary records will carry over, but the tiebreaker game will not. Assuming there are enough packets, ties in record will be played off.

Schedules will be made up tomorrow night, so any changes re: teams/free agents should be made by then.

If you have any questions, post here or email me.

Hope to see y'all Saturday,
Donald Taylor
TD, FICHTE Illinois mirror
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

dtaylor4 wrote:Assuming the field holds as is, I will put Ike and Trevor Davis on a team
This is what we were planning on doing anyway, so I guess you can officially mark us down for a team even if other stuff happens.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Is a full round robing not feasible? It seems like both would require the same number of rounds....
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Yeah, a full round robin is 100% preferable.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

gkandlikar wrote:Is a full round robing not feasible?
I hope everyone at this tournament plans to be fully robed...
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

dtaylor4 wrote:Assuming the field holds as is, I will put Ike and Trevor Davis on a team, and do a bracketed round robin (2x7), followed by another (2x7). The top 3 in each bracket will make the top bracket, and the two 4th place teams will play a round on the clock to determine who makes the top bracket. Preliminary records will carry over, but the tiebreaker game will not. Assuming there are enough packets, ties in record will be played off.

Schedules will be made up tomorrow night, so any changes re: teams/free agents should be made by then.

If you have any questions, post here or email me.

Hope to see y'all Saturday,
Donald Taylor
TD, FICHTE Illinois mirror
Since the packets are blind to the teams, could we modify the schedule to eliminate byes? I think a full round-robin (13 games in 13 rounds) is more appealing than 2x7 twice (12 games in 14 rounds). With 18 rounds, we could do a full round-robin, then split 4/6/4 for playoffs--that way there are 2 packets left for finals, and everyone gets 16 games (18 games for the middle bracket). If you prefer starting off with a bracketed round-robin, there could be cross-over matches (and presumably if you're making an effort to balance the initial brackets the cross-over matches could be set up to pit teams of roughly similar level against each other), then split into playoff brackets of 8 and 6 or something.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

setht wrote:Since the packets are blind to the teams, could we modify the schedule to eliminate byes? I think a full round-robin (13 games in 13 rounds) is more appealing than 2x7 twice (12 games in 14 rounds). With 18 rounds, we could do a full round-robin, then split 4/6/4 for playoffs--that way there are 2 packets left for finals, and everyone gets 16 games (18 games for the middle bracket). If you prefer starting off with a bracketed round-robin, there could be cross-over matches (and presumably if you're making an effort to balance the initial brackets the cross-over matches could be set up to pit teams of roughly similar level against each other), then split into playoff brackets of 8 and 6 or something.
I had an incoherent version of this suggestion, and then I saw that it'd already been posted. I endorse this option.
Andrew Watkins
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

At this point, I understand most of the arguments posited.

That being said: I have 18 packets. 2 for finals leaves me 16. I'd like to reserve 1 or 2 for use as tiebreakers, as I plan to have them played off rather than using statistics. At this point, would people be against a simple full RR, playing off tiebreakers, plus finals?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'd be down with that personally, it would let Ryan's doubles get going sooner.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Yeah, that would work just fine for me.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I just received word that WUSTL dropped, so we're down to 13. Plan is still for a RR with finals.

On Saturday: Be at the Armory, Room 333, 8:30am. I'll post a schedule with map tonight. If you get lost or are gonna be late, call me at (217) 493-4500.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Thanks go out to Jonah Greenthal, who made the schedule/map found here: http://www.illinoisabt.org/20090321fich ... andout.pdf

Numerous color copies will be made available Saturday. The Armory has a weird set of staircases, so it's easy to get lost.
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

Since two teams of free agents (Rom + Bryce & Trevor + Ike) have just two players each, could we merge into one four-player team, leaving 12 teams, 6 gamerooms, no byes, and 11 rounds played for each squad before whatever playoffs? Perhaps a round or two would be eliminated, maybe resulting in an earlier start (and finish) for Ryan Westbrook's experimental tough doubles/triples/quadruples?

Happy early vernal equinox tomorrow,
Rom Masrour
CPS/UIC
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

EncyclopediaCDRom wrote:Since two teams of free agents (Rom + Bryce & Trevor + Ike) have just two players each, could we merge into one four-player team, leaving 12 teams, 6 gamerooms, no byes, and 11 rounds played for each squad before whatever playoffs? Perhaps a round or two would be eliminated, maybe resulting in an earlier start (and finish) for Ryan Westbrook's experimental tough doubles/triples/quadruples?
Yeah, 12 is a great number and gives the opportunity to play three more rounds (14 rounds, still no byes) by doing a 4x3 playoff, then finals (with still two rounds for tiebreakers/ wankery).
Andrew Watkins
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Yeah, I think doing a 12-team rr, then 3 brackets of 4, would be the best of all worlds....though, 15 rounds will take awhile, and who knows what time of night we'll be done after my tourney, but c'est la vie, I guess.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I also think doing a 12 team round robin, followed by 3 brackets of 2, then finals, would be a great format for 12 teams.

Alternately, you could do a 12 team round robin, followed by 2 brackets of 6, then finals. That would mean there wouldn't be any extra packets for playing off tiebreakers, or if the wrong round was read.

If you are short on staff, I would be fine with an odd number of teams, so you could have people to staff on byes.

The rounds are timed, so they should go faster than a regular untimed tournament would go.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

everyday847 wrote:Yeah, 12 is a great number and gives the opportunity to play three more rounds (14 rounds, still no byes) by doing a 4x3 playoff, then finals (with still two rounds for tiebreakers/ wankery).
I like this. Also, timed rounds do put somewhat of a ceiling on the duration of the tournament.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Short: Minnesota A d. Chicago A in a one-game final
Carleton's MO team
Kimahri

Post by Carleton's MO team »

Surely if we little people at Carleton owe everyone who was forced into byes at Minnesota Open a small bit of entry back according to you, Matt Weiner, then you, you quizbowl bigshot, owe teams like Harvard and Brown that flew in to play this event some portion of their plane ticket!
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Carleton's MO team wrote:Surely if we little people at Carleton owe everyone who was forced into byes at Minnesota Open a small bit of entry back according to you, Matt Weiner, then you, you quizbowl bigshot, owe teams like Harvard and Brown that flew in to play this event some portion of their plane ticket!
Iceburn, Charles Dees!

In other, slightly more clarified news, Chicago and Minnesota A were 4-1 in the playoff bracket (we lost to Brown, Chicago lost to us), necessitating a one-game final, which we won.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

If that is Dees, he's clearly just pandering for votes in the Writers tournament.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

First off, I would like to thank everyone who came and made this tournament what it was. This includes the staff: Brandon Cheney, Trygve Meade, Mike Sorice, Micah Hodosh, James Sanner, Chris Vicich, Sam Carruthers, Will Turner, and Greg Baboukis. Of course much thanks also go to Charles Martin, who ably manned the main room and did an excellent job with stats.

Speaking of stats: Charles is probably on his way home, but stats should be posted in the next day or so.

I would also like to thank the teams/players who came out, especially Harvard, Brown, Billy Beyer, and Jonathan Magin, who flew in to play at our site.

We did two brackets of six, followed by a five-round bracketed playoff. Minnesota and Chicago were both 4-1, so a one-game final was played, with Minnesota coming out on top 370-315, so congrats to them.

The top scorers were Jonathan Magin, Seth Teitler, and Jerry Vinokurov. Jerry also took the neg prize with 11 negs in the first five rounds.

More results: In quizbowl basketball, two games were played. In game one, the team of myself/Magin/Gioia/Simons beat Jerry/Aaron/Hart/Westbrook 15-4. In game two, the team of Gioia/Magin/Hart/Westbrook beat myself/simons/Aaron/Jerry 15-8.

I'll leave the info concerning the Experiment and comic books to their respective threads. If I forgot anything, I apologize.

EDIT: I did forget something. My eternal gratitude goes out to Jonah Greenthal, who probably made 6-7 different schedules during the days leading up to the tournament, including the final one at about 2:30am.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Was it only six or seven? :-P

Statistics are up.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

jonah wrote:Was it only six or seven? :-P

Statistics are up.
There seems to be something wrong with the individual stats on Jonathan's team.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, I mean I would assume that some of Magin's stats were actually credited to Bernadette's, as while she had a fine tourney, I do not think she scored more than Jonathan did on our team.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Cheynem wrote:Yeah, I mean I would assume that some of Magin's stats were actually credited to Bernadette's, as while she had a fine tourney, I do not think she scored more than Jonathan did on our team.
LONG NAMES ARE HARRRD
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Cheynem wrote:Yeah, I mean I would assume that some of Magin's stats were actually credited to Bernadette's, as while she had a fine tourney, I do not think she scored more than Jonathan did on our team.
This may be because initially, Charles had "Jonathan" and "Magin" entered as two different people, not realizing that they were one and the same.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Someone should contact Charles with the correct information so that he can resolve the discrepancy and re-send the files to me. I can't do anything myself; I just work here.
Jonah Greenthal
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Jonathan and Magin apart are merely okay players, but with their powers combined, he is an unstoppable force in literature, American history, and science frauding.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Also, if you could add the stats from the finals game, that'd be great.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Ukonvasara wrote:Also, if you could add the stats from the finals game, that'd be great.
Charles has been notified.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Stuff should be fixed now; same address.
Jonah Greenthal
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

jonah wrote:Stuff should be fixed now; same address.
There still seems to be something wrong with Jonathan's stats. It would be nice to have them corrected for the sake of accuracy.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

My stats are incorrect, who should I email with my correct stat line to have them fixed?
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE