2009 IHSA State Final Results

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

2009 IHSA State Final Results

Post by the return of AHAN »

The first final scores are rolling in...
Stevenson defeats Homewood-Flossmoor, 412-214
Carbondale over Springfield, 430-201
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: 2009 IHSA State Final Results

Post by the return of AHAN »

Loyola is victorious over Naperville Central, 311-206.
Auburn defeats Hinsdale Central, 457-135.

In Class A:
Latin over Macomb, 289-151
Peoria Christian beats Columbia, 200-138
Warrensburg-Latham beats Morrison, 205-87
Litchfield over Altamont, 189-101.

I'd say based on the first round scores that Latin is clearly better than the field in Class A.
In Class AA, based on the first round, it's gonna be a close one between Auburn & Stevenson. If Loyola tips Carbondale, it'll be an upset; not a huge one, but an upset nonetheless.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Woody Paige wrote:Loyola is victorious over Naperville Central, 311-206.
Auburn defeats Hinsdale Central, 457-135.

In Class A:
Latin over Macomb, 289-151
Peoria Christian beats Columbia, 200-138
Warrensburg-Latham beats Morrison, 205-87
Litchfield over Altamont, 189-101.

I'd say based on the first round scores that Latin is clearly better than the field in Class A.
In Class AA, based on the first round, it's gonna be a close one between Auburn & Stevenson. If Loyola tips Carbondale, it'll be an upset; not a huge one, but an upset nonetheless.
Don't be surprised if Round 2 changes those concepts. Just as round 2 at Sectionals is the "fluky" round, Round 2 at State has a minor history of confusing results. At the very least, scores drop noticeably in the second round and games are much closer. This isn't to say watch for more upsets in round 2, just that the score differentials will likely not be so dramatic.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

In round two, Auburn beats Stevenson 455-228.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

More round two results:

Loyola 349
Springfield 263

Hinsdale South 317
HF 272
Nathan Hollinsaid
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Auburn has clinched a spot in the State Finals after 2 games. Stevenson vs. Hinsdale for the berth in the 3rd place game.
Carbondale v. Loyola - winner in the Championship, loser in the 3rd place game.

Latin has clinched a spot in the State Finals after 2 games. Peoria Christian vs. Macomb for the berth in the 3rd place game.
Latham v. Litchfield - winner in the Championship, loser in the 3rd place game.

Man, these lunchtime results used to be more exciting. Remember 2007, when in the Auburn/WN/Carbondale/Bloomington pool, everyone was 1-1? Good times...
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Round 3 results are now up.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Shcool wrote:Round 3 results are now up.
But you won't post them?

Carbondale 382 def 263 Loyola and Litchfield 228 def 131 Latham seem to be the important results.

AA: Auburn vs Carbondale for the championship, Loyola vs Stevenson for third.

A: Litchfield vs Latin for the championship, Warrensburg-Latham vs Peoria-Christian for third.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Stevenson 363 def 295 Loyola.
Latham 237 def 147 Peoria Christian.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

CARBONDALE!

337 def Auburn 295.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Congrats to Carbondale and Latin
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Complete State Final Results:

Class A:
1. Chicago Latin
2. Litchfield
3. Warrensburg-Latham
4. Peoria Christian

Latin beat Litchfield 313-190 in the final and Warrensburg-Latham beat Peoria Christian 237-147 to take third.

Class AA:
1. Carbondale
2. Rockford Auburn
3. Stevenson
4. Loyola

Carbondale topped Auburn 337-295 to win the championship and Stevenson beat Loyola 363-295 for third place.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Brad is absolutely correct. As tournaments go, this was boring, though perhaps that was good.

I picked every game, except the final (which I didn't pick). Everything went according to chalk.

This was a rare year in which I saw two Class A matches. They were low scoring .... quite a few tossups went dead, but most of the low scoring was attributed to 0/20, and 5/20.

The Carbondale/Auburn match almost made up for it. It was a classic match. Siva got Zenger on "This german". Tremendous! I think I had Auburn down for three amazing early buzzes, and Carbondale for two. I think the lead changed hands a total of four times, and it was close all the way to the end. Both teams represented tremendously. I was happy for Carbondale, and felt equally bad for Auburn.

The only thing I gotta say, and I am saying this strictly as a neutral observer: The boisterous applause after many of the bonuses (or good buzzes) began to be a little much. Had a faster moderator been reading, it would have drown out the next question. That's just one opinion.
TheTeen
Lulu

Post by TheTeen »

I enjoyed state much more than last year, personally. I also saw many tossups go dead and all teams probably could have done better in Class A, but Litchfield got their first state placing, and we were very much excited about that. Although, I do believe there should be some sort of limit on the volume of a team during a match. We were playing a team today, who, on the bonuses, would be very loud when discussing their bonuses (purposely as they made it very obvious), and this was quite a distraction. Now I realize this was their intention, but it is rather rude and obnoxious, although they are a very smart team. Of course when we began to pull ahead, for a short while, their volume increased as our points increased.:/ I just hope IHSA is able to do something about this. But then again, who sets the bar of "loud"?
Michael Shade
Litchfield High School
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

TheTeen wrote:But then again, who sets the bar of "loud"?
Sad, sad little men.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Tegan wrote:Siva got Zenger on "This german". Tremendous!
:w-hat:
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I figure you might find the following entertaining, so I'm crossposting it from my twitter:

Matt got pulled over for speeding on the way, so we wrote a computational driver's ed question about it. about 11 hours ago
Mathew is in a hurry to get to the IHSA state tournament! On the interstate from Bloomington to Peoria, he is doing 80 mph and gets pulled over. If the speed limit was the maximum in Illinois, add the amount by which he was in excess of it to the $50 Jonah lends him to cover the ticket, and multiply by the interstate number he is on. What is the result?
Queen of the Night was the lead-in?! about 11 hours ago
Halftime score: Peoria Christian 110, Columbia 82. TEAMS ARE SWITCHING SIDES! about 11 hours ago
The really classy moderator is laughing at a wrong answer. And this is the second question about hockey. about 11 hours ago
Seven computation questions so far. Spelling bonus: millennium, occurrence, irresistible, Armageddon, pneumatic. about 11 hours ago
What the **** is 'acephalous', other than a vocab tossup answer? about 11 hours ago
Mathematics tossup: What nine-letter word starting with D refers to an infinite series without a limit? about 11 hours ago
Lead-in: 'this type of music has no feeling of key. Schoenberg...' about 11 hours ago
This physiology question was written directly from an episode of House. And they prompted on sugar for blood sugar; Columbia got cheated. about 11 hours ago
Moore's law makes for a really transparent question. Who knew? Oh wait... EVERYBODY. about 11 hours ago
They copied the Aegis bonus that was an example of what NOT to do. about 11 hours ago
Computational programming/scripting question. They gave two lines of Java to evaluate. And oh yeah, they had the wrong answer in the packet. about 11 hours ago
There are five bathrooms within twenty feet of hallway. ??? about 11 hours ago
Up next: Loyola v. Springfield featuring Sister John moderating. about 10 hours ago
Delay while Sister John repositions nametags. about 10 hours ago
Family and consumer sciences. Answer: notions. about 10 hours ago
Types of exercises! Categorized as science! Aerobic, anaerobic, 'training to failure'. about 10 hours ago
Find the product of the number of letters in each of the following words: circumference, and I forget the rest, but does it really matter? about 10 hours ago
Every time someone negs, she starts reading the question all over again rawr. about 10 hours ago
A tossup on off-Broadway? Yup. Halftime: Loyola 170, Springfield 154. about 10 hours ago
What the crap is an ergative case? The IHSA knows, but no one in this room does. about 10 hours ago
This part of the blade of a file is inserted into the handle. Its name might make you think of a rap group, Chinese dynasty, or orange drink. about 10 hours ago
Tossup on the food pyramid. SCIENCE! about 10 hours ago
ATTN: everyone. Tossups on SARS still suck. about 9 hours ago
Now: Loyola v. Carbondale. about 8 hours ago
Another Emily Dickinson question. about 8 hours ago
A bonus on piracy. Maritime, not electronic. about 8 hours ago
Bonus on 'things you might find stuck to your fridge'. One part: these theoretical entities have only one pole. about 8 hours ago
Apparently, The Things They Carried is literature. This is news to both me and Matt. about 8 hours ago
Handout bonus. As if that weren't absurd enough, it's about football refereeing. about 8 hours ago
So far, three jazz questions. about 8 hours ago
A question on photographic film just nearly went dead. about 8 hours ago
I forgot to tweet lunch. Suffice it to say it was entertaining. about 8 hours ago
Halftime score: Loyola 127, Carbondale 203. about 8 hours ago
Brand shilling for Subway ITQ (in this question) about 8 hours ago
Most antipyramidal question ever on Hundred Years of Solitude. about 7 hours ago
The last bonus of the match is on graphic novels. F*** their lives. about 7 hours ago
Up soon: finals, Auburn/Carbondale. Grierson moderating, so we'll be at halftime in 6 hours. Egan, of course, will be assisting. about 7 hours ago
Egan looks really dejected. As he should, since he ought to be reading. about 7 hours ago
Franklin Pierce went dead. WTF. Zahed got Set, tossup 2, for a trig comp bonus. about 7 hours ago
3: health. Jerry gets ethanol. Bonus on constitutional amendments. After, 10-25 Carbondale. about 7 hours ago
Jerry is beastly at math. Bonus is the fourth question about jazz on the day. 20-45 Carbondale. about 7 hours ago
After an Angels in America tossup, a bonus on the grammar of LotR quotes. 42-53 Carbondale. about 7 hours ago
Third computation question already. 68-57 Auburn. about 7 hours ago
If Auburn's fan club doesn't shut up, I am going to explode. The applause after each correct answer makes this even more glacial. about 7 hours ago
Most ridiculous buzzer race on a music theory question about the key of A. Now, a bonus about COLORS. about 7 hours ago
Jerry knows where authors are from. Auburn 103, Carbondale 102. about 7 hours ago
Tossup on the SIPC. Wut. 133-102 Auburn. about 7 hours ago
There are SO MANY 3- and 5-part bonuses today. It's absurdly unfair. about 7 hours ago
Spelling bonus: sacreligious, syzzygy, schizophrenia, schadenfreude. Auburn 148, Carbondale 158. about 6 hours ago
Halftime. 148-188 Carbondale. about 6 hours ago
Tossup on HREF, the HTML attribute. It went dead, due to being retarded. about 6 hours ago
After a tossup on Das Kapital and an absurdly easy Mozart bonus, we're tied at 188. about 6 hours ago
A tossup on the Illinois state Capitol. This is ********. Sorry, Andy Wehrman. about 6 hours ago
A bonus asking for translations from English to Latin. Two of the answers were wrong. about 6 hours ago
Auburn 205, Carbondale 224. about 6 hours ago
Siva buzzes with Sanger after 'Journalism. This German native-'. 235-234 Auburn. about 6 hours ago
Transparent on Les Desmoiselles de Avignon. Auburn 255, Carbondale 327 through 28 questions. Carbondale cannot lose. about 6 hours ago
Carbondale wins, 337 to 295. Mazel tov! about 6 hours ago
Class A results: Peoria Christian 4th, Warrensburg Latham, Litchfield, Latin Class AA: Loyola 4th, Stevenson, Auburn, Carbondale about 5 hours ago
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Tegan wrote:Had a faster moderator been reading, it would have drown out the next question.
That's a pretty hilarious spin on it.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

cornfused wrote:
Tegan wrote:Siva got Zenger on "This german". Tremendous!
:w-hat:
Ah. This is why you shouldn't start a question with "Category: Journalism."
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

jonah wrote: Apparently, The Things They Carried is literature. This is news to both me and Matt.
Why shouldn't it be? I had to read this in an American LITERATURE class in college.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Yeah, what else would O'brien's The Things They Carried be? Sure it's recent, but it is still a good well written collection of short stories/ a good short story itself.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:
jonah wrote: Apparently, The Things They Carried is literature. This is news to both me and Matt.
Why shouldn't it be? I had to read this in an American LITERATURE class in college.
Well, I guess the real issue is that the question read:

What do you know about "The Things They Carried"?
1. Name the author.
2. What river did the protagonist go visit an old man at?
3. What war did it take place during?
4. What "something obscure and hard that I couldn't remember, even though I've read it"?
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Part 4, I believe was: "What was the name of the daughter whom the protagonist took to the river?"
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

I read The Things They Carried fairly recently, and if I remember correctly, the protagonist's daughter isn't included in any of the stories.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Siverus Snape wrote:Part 4, I believe was: "What was the name of the daughter whom the protagonist took to the river?"
No, it was "Who did the protagonist take to the river?". The answer was "his daughter".
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
ktour84
Lulu

Post by ktour84 »

I read "The Things They Carried" in a college freshman into to fiction class. That was not a good way to write a question on it though.

If you want to write on contemporary American literature, those questions have to be written better i.e. less transparent and obvious clues. My one concern about writing about that at the high school level would be the level of familiarity that your average high school player would have with O'Brien, DeLillio, TC Boyle to name a few. Those simply aren't taught that frequently in the classroom - then again contemporary American lit isn't taught unless the author is a woman or minority.
Kelly Tourdot

Stillman Valley (IL) 1999-2003
Illinois 2003-2007
UW-Madison (employed in Art Library) 2013-present
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Aub-ZH wrote:
Siverus Snape wrote:Part 4, I believe was: "What was the name of the daughter whom the protagonist took to the river?"
No, it was "Who did the protagonist take to the river?". The answer was "his daughter".
And there still is, unless Ian and I are gravely mistaken, no daughter.
Andrew Watkins