A fond farewell

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
David Riley
Auron

A fond farewell

Post by David Riley »

As our official season comes to a close, I would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to some of our graduating seniors, who furthered the cause of good quiz bowl in Illinois: Everyone feel free to add your own comments.

Siva Sundaram—one of the best players in the history of Illinois quiz bowl, and one who states his opinions on quiz bowl matters articulately and with dignity. He is a welcome addition to the IHSSBCA Executive Committee as one of our high school liaisons.

His compadre, Michael Jiang who may have been overshadowed by Siva in tournaments but can more than hold his own in a solo contest

The Carbondale trio of Jerry Chang, Tony Cao, and Paul Botros—these guys were a force to be reckoned with, and kudos to Ms. Lorinskas for bringing them to so many tournaments up north.

Ben Cohen—an autodidact whose breadth and depth of knowledge continued New Trier’s domination of the North Shore.

David Garb and Nick Bergeon—this duo from Buffalo Grove worked tirelessly on behalf of their team.

The St. Viator varsity team (Jeff, Alex, Sean, et alia), who showed us what you can do with limited resources but a will to succeed.
And last but not least, Loyola’s Joe Ahmad,whose intellectualism and bent for quiz bowl was evident when he was a freshman, and Jack Glerum, probably the most enthusiastic high school quiz bowl player in Illinois since Brad Fischer and Nick Matchen.

Apologies to anyone I forgot who deserves a mention.

Best wishes with your college choices and all of your future endeavors!
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Re: A fond farewell

Post by Siverus Snape »

Thank you so much, Coach Riley. It has truly been a pleasure getting to know you and competing with your teams over the years. I'm looking forward to our NSC Illinois reunion dinner.
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Don't scare me like that, Colonel! When I read the title, I thought I was about to see a retirement announcement...Thank goodness it wasn't. :party:
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

I'll second the colonel's sentiments. No offense at all to Auburn who still has an amazing streak of consecutive state appearances and state placing intact .... and no sign that it will be ending soon, but I think Carbondale came off as more of the "surprise". Everyone who knew anything knew that they would be good, but I'm not sure any one saw early on how good they would get over the course of the season.

I also agree: props to the Arlington Heights Road crews from St. Viator and BG. They had great seasons and can be proud of the work they did.
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

I'm going to miss the computational math... :sad:

It's been a great year. I really feel like that we, the underfunded gentlemen of St. Viator, have been accepted by the SchoBo elite, and it's been a good year. Thank you all for that.

For those going to Pace, I've got a helluva t-shirt idea (see avatar).
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Jeff, forget about computational math. Face it, it's doomed! :smile:

And I don't know if I want to wear Rob Blagoevich on my chest....or anywhere else, for that matter.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

David Riley wrote:Jeff, forget about computational math. Face it, it's doomed!
Would someone please inform the IHSA and Mr. Reinstein?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Scobowls and Speedos
Lulu

Post by Scobowls and Speedos »

You're forgetting Stevenson's Jonathon Safron and Donald Yang, two underrated contributors and crucial members of our team. Jonathon single-handedly led us past Fremd in the Sectionals. It will be hard to replace their production next year.
Zach Blumenfeld
Stevenson '11
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Scobowls and Speedos wrote:You're forgetting Stevenson's Jonathon Safron and Donald Yang, two underrated contributors and crucial members of our team. Jonathon single-handedly led us past Fremd in the Sectionals. It will be hard to replace their production next year.
Is this Zach B?

EDIT: Corrected spelling
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scobowls and Speedos
Lulu

Post by Scobowls and Speedos »

Indeed.
Zach Blumenfeld
Stevenson '11
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Zach, where did you get that moniker? Sounds like a bad Jane Austen novel.

Hit it, Tegan! :grin:
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

David Riley wrote:Zach, where did you get that moniker? Sounds like a bad Jane Austen novel.

His moniker clearly implies that Zach, in addition to playing quizbowl, is also member of the Stevenson water polo team.

and .... "bad Jane Austen novel" is just being repetitive, kind of like "bad Chicago Bears quarterba....."

Wait ......

Gimme a J! :grin:
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Tegan wrote:is also a member of the Stevenson water polo team.
...or a male model.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Welcome aboard, Zach!
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

David Riley wrote:Zach, where did you get that moniker? Sounds like a bad Jane Austen novel.

I don't think that a fellow Auburn freshman would approve.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT