An idea for a session at the IESA Workshop for Coaches

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

What should Price do a session on at the next IESA Coaches Workshop?

Prepping for Driver's Ed distribution in High School
13%
Why a Knitting Class Can Help Your Team Win a State Title
15%
mACF Bonus Style
27%
Prepping Your Team for Computer SCIENCE! Questions
2%
Pyramidal Question Writing
29%
Using Hoses to Help Your Team Defeat Better Teams
8%
How to Make Squaring a Whole, Single-Digit Number a 30-Second Toss-Up
6%

Total votes: 48

the return of AHAN
Auron

An idea for a session at the IESA Workshop for Coaches

Post by the return of AHAN »

So, I suddenly got an idea this morning...
What if I go down to the Coaches Workshop this October, and do a session over writing pyramidal toss-ups and why this is a good thing. Yes, I'd be doing this session with QG reps just outside the door. In fairness, I AM seeing more 'good questions' from the QG people, but there's still a hose here and there, and still a number of buzzer races. If we can emphasize that better questions can be done, it may put a little pressure on the company that has a near monopoly on commercially available questions in Illinois MS.
AND I can also introduce the mACF bonus style (as done at Northwestern) and discuss why this is a good thing, too, citing all of the benefits we've discussed on this board.

So? Who has my back on this?!?!

EDIT:[Please note you can choose 2 options on the above poll]
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: An idea for a session at the IESA Workshop for Coaches

Post by Stained Diviner »

I have actual experience leading a session on writing pyramidal toss-ups and why this is a good thing with QG reps just outside the door. Go for it.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

I could do the knitting workshop, and Laird could do the Drivers Ed workshop (provided he gets his license back by then).
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Shcool wrote:I have actual experience leading a session on writing pyramidal toss-ups and why this is a good thing with QG reps just outside the door. Go for it.
Got anything you can offer up material-wise for such a presentation?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Some of my main points can be found on page 14 here. There's lots of good advice from somebody smarter than me here. I also just forwarded some things to you in an email that I could post here if anybody cares.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Tegan wrote:I could do the knitting workshop, and Laird could do the Drivers Ed workshop (provided he gets his license back by then).
I didn't realize that anyone else in the quizbowl community actually knit. All I have to say about that is, k1p2, yo.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I think you must have to be a math-minded person to knit. My art teacher in the seventh grade tried to teach us how to do it and most of us failed miserably.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Note: for the record, Tom Egan does not knit. I have nothing against the practice, as a friend's wife does knit. I however do not actually knit.

Returning you to normal communication ...... now.