NorCal 08-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Carambola!
Lulu

NorCal 08-09

Post by Carambola! »

Because NorCal has only had three tournaments so far this year, I would like people's input on ranking them.

The area's top teams this year are: Mission San Jose, Bellarmine, San Mateo, and Harker.
Jeffrey Li
Mission San Jose High '11
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: NorCal 08-09

Post by AKKOLADE »

Do you have results for NAQT NorCal states?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Schweizerkas
Lulu

Post by Schweizerkas »

FredMorlan wrote:Do you have results for NAQT NorCal states?
They were already posted in this thread.
Brian
Stanford University
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Schweizerkas wrote:
FredMorlan wrote:Do you have results for NAQT NorCal states?
They were already posted in this thread.
Literacy moment!

Thanks.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Jayhawk
Kimahri

Post by Jayhawk »

So are the only NorCal teams in the Bay Area?

I was planning on starting one, but my school is located in the Sacramento area.
Andrew Siwabessy
Currently independent
**Formerly of** Adlai E. Stevenson High School, Class of 2012
Lincolnshire, Illinois
yjna4006
Lulu

Post by yjna4006 »

Not necessarily. Most teams are from the Bay Area, but I know Mira Loma regularly participates in tournaments.

But you'd be facing really long drives back and forth since all the tournaments happen in the Bay Area.

Mira Loma usually shows up to State Championships and other large tournaments, but I thik it might be more difficult to find people interested if they have to commit to driving 2 hours there and back every tournaments. You should still try though, we need to build up a strong Nor Cal presence. :lol:

Good Luck!
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

I think NorCal has put itself back on the map. After three years of sending no teams of note to any national tournament, 5 teams went to HSNCT this year: Berkeley, Bellarmine A&B, and Mission San Jose A&b. The Bellarmine and Mission teams all advanced to the playoffs, with Mission San Jose tying for 11th. Bellarmine a&b and Mission B tied for 43rd.
Jeffrey Li
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I moderated for Bellarmine A and Mission San Jose A in the playoffs, and thought both were solid teams, though Rancho Bernardo was probably better than Mission San Jose and Bellarmine A would probably be around 5th-6th best in Southern California (granted, we had a really good crop of teams in Southern California this year). Again, this was just based on HSNCT stats and the one game I moderated for each of them.

It still seems like Mission San Jose's been the class of that region since the Kevin Koai days, but it's good to see it's not just a one-team circuit.

BTW, are those teams you mentioned also the best at BAAL?
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

cvdwightw wrote:I moderated for Bellarmine A and Mission San Jose A in the playoffs, and thought both were solid teams, though Rancho Bernardo was probably better than Mission San Jose and Bellarmine A would probably be around 5th-6th best in Southern California (granted, we had a really good crop of teams in Southern California this year). Again, this was just based on HSNCT stats and the one game I moderated for each of them.

It still seems like Mission San Jose's been the class of that region since the Kevin Koai days, but it's good to see it's not just a one-team circuit.

BTW, are those teams you mentioned also the best at BAAL?
This is only Bellarmine's second year doing competitive quiz bowl. We did BAAL last year and reached semifinals (missing our top player), and quit BAAL entirely this year. Mission has traditionally been fairly good at BAAL, though I'm sure they could provide you a more accurate description than the one I am giving you now.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

sfbaal .com
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... TrZA&gid=3

31 points qualifies for playoffs. 'Nuff said.

However, BAAL is the least legitimate quizbowl format I've seen.
Gaius, who runs the tournament, pays people to write questions and does a poor editing job, imo.

The distribution of questions are skewed, with the sixty second round skewed the most. Six questions total doesn't give much room to distribute fairly.
Trash is far too common, and Gaius uses bonuses from the end of NAQT packets. BAAL is not a good measurement of quizbowl skills.

When he runs tournaments with NAQT packets, instead of running a 20-20 or timed round, he instead has in own style, called BAALT, which only confers bonuses on powers and when one gets two consecutive questions, as well as questions 11-12, and 23-24. This allows Gaius to keep bonuses for his aforementioned tournament, BAAL. These games can often be extremely low scoring. Sometime I would like to see enough powers in a game so he will run out of bonuses.
Jeffrey Li
Berkeley '15

yjna4006
Lulu

Post by yjna4006 »

Egh Jeffrey we don't know that for sure, so don't go around spreading rumors.

Think about it; if he did use NAQT bonuses,
1.that's very illegal I believe (since he's using it to profit) and Gaius wouldn't go there
2.the questions would be of higher quality than the ones we've been seeing.