Junior NAC 2009 Results

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Junior NAC 2009 Results

Post by the return of AHAN »

Longfellow MS of Falls Church, Virginia wins the 2009 Junior :chip: apalooza. Given their solid performances in the KMO's, it's probably safe to say Longfellow is a legitimate national champion. So congratulations to Coach Huang and his crew.
Now, about those questions...
Junior NAC Summary wrote:The questions are geared to grades 6-9. The four-quarter format of Junior Nationals mirrors that of high school Nationals except; namely a "Warm-Up" round of relatively easy tossup questions, a "Bonus" round featuring pyramid-style tossups leading to four-part bonus opportunities, a category-oriented lightning round known as "60 Seconds," and a "Stump the Experts" round of challenging high school-level tossups. Pyramid-style tossups generally feature three or more sentences, starting with less well-known information, moving on to moderate difficulty and ending with well-known facts.
Is this new?
Junior NAC wrote:But Hawken beat them 10-5 on the CABINET bonus.
Cabinets? Attending this with my Barrington team would be bad for my health, wouldn't it?
Junior NAC wrote:An early buzz by Hawken on the next tossup, with incorrect answer "rodents," gave Longfellow a chance to listen to a whole paragraph leading to the answer of "rats" after the final clue "species include the Black and the Norway."
Ummm... prompt? Anyone?
Junior NAC wrote:answering an auto mechanics question about wheel alignment;
BWAAHAHAHA! Who dares to mock Illinois scholastic bowl for its industrial arts distro now?!??!?!?
Junior NAC wrote:Longfellow got this Driver's Ed question: "Researchers have concluded that even with air bags and wearing a seat belt, a car's driver is three times more likely to die in a crash when what other passenger is not wearing a seat belt?" (Ans. Backseat passenger directly behind the driver)
(see above; replace 'industrial arts' with 'drivers ed')
Junior NAC wrote:Longfellow brought their score to within 5 points of the lead after this quirky question: "Many citizens of which Iowa city naturally want to change their airport's designation from SUX?" (Ans. Sioux City)
Airport abbreviations are canon now?
Junior NAC wrote:Finally, they finished this line from the William Goldman novel Princess Bride: "My name is Inigo Montoya. ..." (Ans. You killed my father. Prepare to die.)
After all, what's the deciding question of a national championship match without some sort of easily fraudable Princess Bride reference?

Anyway, I don't know how likely their attendance will be but I intend to invite every team mentioned to the Barrington Tournament's 2010 edition.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: Junior NAC 2009 Results

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Woody Paige wrote:
Junior NAC wrote:Longfellow brought their score to within 5 points of the lead after this quirky question: "Many citizens of which Iowa city naturally want to change their airport's designation from SUX?" (Ans. Sioux City)
Airport abbreviations are canon now?
I remember in 7th or 8th grade when i played "quizbowl" in middle school, we had an entire lightning round category of airport abbreviations. My brother, already a big Flight Simulator fan and future aerospace engineer, had talked to me so much about the aircraft industry that i knew most big cities' designations. Not sure if we swept it.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Woody Paige wrote:Longfellow MS of Falls Church, Virginia wins the 2009 Junior :chip: apalooza. Given their solid performances in the KMO's, it's probably safe to say Longfellow is a legitimate national champion. So congratulations to Coach Huang and his crew.
YAY LONGFELLOW!!! :party:
Sucks you had to go through that, but yeah, FCPS represent.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:
Woody Paige wrote:Longfellow MS of Falls Church, Virginia wins the 2009 Junior :chip: apalooza. Given their solid performances in the KMO's, it's probably safe to say Longfellow is a legitimate national champion. So congratulations to Coach Huang and his crew.
YAY LONGFELLOW!!! :party:
Sucks you had to go through that, but yeah, FCPS represent.
You never had to go there.

EDIT: Coach Huang? As in Mr. Huang, the math teacher? Yeah, he's one of the few great teachers at that school: it's no surprise they're winning.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Woody Paige wrote:
Junior NAC wrote:answering an auto mechanics question about wheel alignment;
BWAAHAHAHA! Who dares to mock Illinois scholastic bowl for its industrial arts distro now?!??!?!?
No, no, no, you missed it.
Junior NAC wrote:Township netted 40 on COMMON TOOLS.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

:chip: is a common tool.....
Aidan Mehigan
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Prof.Whoopie wrote::chip: is a common tool.....
Awesome.

Also, CABINET was probably about the executive branch, not furniture. At least, I hope so.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Sir Thopas wrote:Also, CABINET was probably about the executive branch, not furniture. At least, I hope so.
Member of the cabinet, type of cabinet, both, or neither:
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Me too. I also had an airport code worksheet, when I was in 9th grade at a Cedar Shoals tournament, I believe. We aced that, and we won our first tournament that way.

Some of those questions are so high level. What middle schooler has read Princess Bride? Also, Hawken chose the longest category in the history of the NAC: U.S. NATIONAL PARKS THAT UNESCO HAS IDENTIFIED AS A WORLD HERITAGE SITE.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

scquizbowl wrote:Some of those questions are so high level. What middle schooler has read Princess Bride?
Erm. Yeah...
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

scquizbowl wrote:
Some of those questions are so high level. What middle schooler has read Princess Bride?
It's a pretty famous quote, e.g.: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... igoMontoya
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

But I would hazard a guess that most people know that from seeing the movie. I for one have never read the book, but I could quote you some lines that are probably in it.
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Inconceivable!
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Inconceivable!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Aidan Mehigan
the return of AHAN
Auron

Sir Thopas wrote:
Prof.Whoopie wrote::chip: is a common tool.....
Awesome.

Also, CABINET was probably about the executive branch, not furniture. At least, I hope so.
Guy, I hope you're right. There's no other context provided in the statement. Is it bad that my first thoughts wandered to furniture? Would it surprise you if there was such a bonus?
Re: The Princess Bride question... The fact that it's a movie is why I referred to it as easily fraudable; I haven't read The Princess Bride, but could've answered that question.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Wait, hold on. Is this restricted to just middle school or can high schoolers play it? Because that kid in the first row on the right is Varun Kumar, classmate of mine at Haycock Elementary school and current freshman at TJ.

Edit: link
Aidan Mehigan
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:Wait, hold on. Is this restricted to just middle school or can high schoolers play it? Because that kid in the first row on the right is Varun Kumar, classmate of mine at Haycock Elementary school and current freshman at TJ.

There can be up to two 9th graders on a team, as per the official rules.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

hwhite wrote:
Prof.Whoopie wrote:Wait, hold on. Is this restricted to just middle school or can high schoolers play it? Because that kid in the first row on the right is Varun Kumar, classmate of mine at Haycock Elementary school and current freshman at TJ.

There can be up to two 9th graders on a team, as per the official rules.
Interesting... This thing keeps getting wackier and wackier.
Aidan Mehigan
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

If he's a current freshman at TJ, are they allowing people from mixed schools to compete?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

dinoian wrote:If he's a current freshman at TJ, are they allowing people from mixed schools to compete?
Fairfax County Public Schools have middle schools with only grades 7 and 8.

If the guy went to Longfellow and it was cleared w/ Chip or in the rules, it would be less of a problem. It's the same idea as letting an 8th grader from your feeder middle school play on your HS team. But ... doing it in reverse might set off alarms ...
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
the return of AHAN
Auron

Junior NAC rules wrote:A team consists of players from one middle school or junior high school whom the school has declared eligible. To equalize the playing field between junior high teams and middle school teams, each middle school team is welcome to include up to two ninth graders from the high school into which that middle school feeds. A junior high team may play no more than two ninth graders at a given time. (Ninth graders are not eligible to compete at both Junior Nationals and Senior Nationals.)
This makes things really interesting. Not that we'll ever go, but it gets the wheels turning on how one could torture the rules. Let's say Daniel Wright JHS entered next year. They could ostensibly take the two best freshmen from Stevenson HS (I'd say, Saieesh Rao of Twin Groves MS will be in that conversation), even though they weren't necessarily students at Wright???? The rule never says anything about the 9th graders being alums of the school they're representing. Shoot, if you're a Catholic school in these parts I assume you could pick the 2 best freshmen from St. Viator AND Loyola. :shock:

EDIT: Whoa, check the # of posts! :twisted:
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Woody Paige wrote:
Junior NAC rules wrote:A team consists of players from one middle school or junior high school whom the school has declared eligible. To equalize the playing field between junior high teams and middle school teams, each middle school team is welcome to include up to two ninth graders from the high school into which that middle school feeds. A junior high team may play no more than two ninth graders at a given time. (Ninth graders are not eligible to compete at both Junior Nationals and Senior Nationals.)
This makes things really interesting. Not that we'll ever go, but it gets the wheels turning on how one could torture the rules. Let's say Daniel Wright JHS entered next year. They could ostensibly take the two best freshmen from Stevenson HS (I'd say, Saieesh Rao of Twin Groves MS will be in that conversation), even though they weren't necessarily students at Wright???? The rule never says anything about the 9th graders being alums of the school they're representing. Shoot, if you're a Catholic school in these parts I assume you could pick the 2 best freshmen from St. Viator AND Loyola. :shock:
I think the rule needs to be amended so that the 9th grader(s) in question are actually alumni of the middle school competing. Otherwise, it looks fine.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

It's bizarre. My team would have been a lot better this year if we had been able to use our two top students from last year.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Shcool wrote:It's bizarre. My team would have been a lot better this year if we had been able to use our two top students from last year.
Not really. Some middle schools are 6-8, others 7-8, and others 7-9.

If you had your two top alumni from last year, the only apples to apples comparison would be if other schools could bring in their alumni who are college freshmen.

I believe allowing only 9th grade alumni of that middle school should be done.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

For what it's worth, Science Olympiad has a similar rule about ninth graders in its middle school division. I forget what the maximum number allowed is, but there is a cap. I was recruited to be on my junior high's team my freshman year in high school, and I remember noting that it didn't say anywhere that the ninth graders had to be alumni of the school they were competing for.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

jonah wrote:For what it's worth, Science Olympiad has a similar rule about ninth graders in its middle school division. I forget what the maximum number allowed is, but there is a cap. I was recruited to be on my junior high's team my freshman year in high school, and I remember noting that it didn't say anywhere that the ninth graders had to be alumni of the school they were competing for.
Five. Also, huh. It certainly used to assert that they had to be alums of the school they were competing for; I remember one of our eighth graders was considering going to a local public school for high school and my coach noted that we'd still be able to use her in competition since the rules referred to the school you graduated from, rather than a middle school affiliated with the high school you currently attend.
Andrew Watkins
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

This is a middle school tournament with driver's ed questions.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

DumbJaques wrote:This is a middle school tournament with driver's ed questions.
I hope it's limited to questions on "seatbelts" or "speed limit"??? :shock:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

mcn46 wrote:But I would hazard a guess that most people know that from seeing the movie. I for one have never read the book, but I could quote you some lines that are probably in it.
Having picked up this book as a prize at some quizbowl tournament or other, I can confirm that this quote does actually appear, six times, on pages 308 and 309 of my copy. Only once out of the six times is the punctuation used by :chip: actually used, and that is the last time, with the whole quote in capital letters.

Therefore, allegations that this was not actually written from the book are inconclusive, at best. Allegations that this was a terrible idea to decide a national tournament on are valid.
DumbJaques wrote:This is a middle school tournament with driver's ed questions.
Sample questions for 2010 Junior NAC:
  • According to Illinois Rules of the Road, what is the purpose of...
    Sixty second round: ROAD SIGNS.
    Identify this common automobile appliance from an audio clip. (Answer: HORN)
    Drivers must stop at a red light. Why?
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry