Better Stats

Old college threads.
negatron
Lulu

Better Stats

Post by negatron »

Does anyone have a better bunch of stats then PPTH, P/N, and bonus conversion to rank teams and players?
These statistics breakdown because of failing to account for field difficulty and because bonus conversion can potentially be on the basis of one bonus, which would give an unrealistic idea of how well a team can do. (Okay, so we did slaughter them 640-40, but they converted bonuses better!). Also, teams do not always have the same composition at each event. Any ideas?
Watson Ladd
BCA '09
UChicago '13
cvdwightw
Auron

Re: Better Stats

Post by cvdwightw »

1. Presumably the new S-value, once released, will be better than anything currently available.

2. Don't knock bonus conversion. It's opponent-independent, and thus makes comparisons easy without accounting for field strength. As long as your sample size isn't so ridiculously small that you're actually trying to compare the team that 30'd Duck Hunt/Super Mario Bros./Punch Out with the team that got the other 19 bonuses, or trying to compare the team that got five ass-hard EuroFest bonuses in a row with a team that had a more even distribution (i.e. you're doing it over the course of a tournament, when presumably bonus variability averages out), it's a pretty good indicator of relative team strength.

3. We're waiting for BeES to show up, so we can compute fun stuff like words per buzz and the derived Player Subject Ratings.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Quizbowler Created Stats

Most of them are for individual stats, and seem difficult to calculate by hand though.
Barry
Cornell
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

cvdwightw wrote: 3. We're waiting for BeES Godot to show up
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

BuzzerZen wrote:
cvdwightw wrote: 3. We're waiting for BeES Godot to show up with Duke Nukem Forever
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

BuzzerZen wrote:
cvdwightw wrote: 3. We're waiting for BeES Godot to show up
Yeah, seriously, when is BeES coming out? It sounds really cool, and I'd love to see it in action.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Yeah, seriously, when is BeES coming out? It sounds really cool, and I'd love to see it in action.
Quite possibly, when :chip: nationals is decided on a question on The Sot-Weed Factor.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
The Logic of Scientific Disco
Wakka

Post by The Logic of Scientific Disco »

Anti-Climacus wrote: Quite possibly, when :chip: nationals is decided on a question on The Sot-Weed Factor.
An alternative name for marijuana is pot. For the championship and a pack of chocolate cigarettes, an alternative name for tobacco appears in the name of what John Barth work?
Chris Kennedy, MIT
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

Anti-Climacus wrote:Quite possibly, when :chip: nationals is decided on a question on The Sot-Weed Factor.
To get first dibs on an audio bonus on household appliances manufactured in Texas (hey, look! A Texas team on the panel! These questions were written months in advance, folks!), answer this pyramidal tossup: anagram "Theta screwed foot" into a Barth title.
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

Might as well announce it here, and not as a competitor to BeES, but I have been developing a question-reading program called JAGUARS ("[insert programmer whose first name starts with "J"] and Greg's User-friendly Automated Reading System). As soon as I can get a handle on doing a platform-independent GUI, I'll give it my best shot.
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

rjaguar3 wrote:Might as well announce it here, and not as a competitor to BeES, but I have been developing a question-reading program called JAGUARS ("[insert programmer whose first name starts with "J"] and Greg's User-friendly Automated Reading System). As soon as I can get a handle on doing a platform-independent GUI, I'll give it my best shot.
I'm a programmer whose name starts with J!

I'm also working on a scorekeeping system; it uses Python bindings for Qt, which is platform independent. Right now, I'm at the stage where one can successfully enter teams, players, and keep track of scores, as well as export the information in an XML file. I've contemplated adding question-reading as a feature, but for various reasons relating to having to parse Word files, this is a nontrivial thing to do.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

grapesmoker wrote:
rjaguar3 wrote:Might as well announce it here, and not as a competitor to BeES, but I have been developing a question-reading program called JAGUARS ("[insert programmer whose first name starts with "J"] and Greg's User-friendly Automated Reading System). As soon as I can get a handle on doing a platform-independent GUI, I'll give it my best shot.
I'm a programmer whose name starts with J!

I'm also working on a scorekeeping system; it uses Python bindings for Qt, which is platform independent. Right now, I'm at the stage where one can successfully enter teams, players, and keep track of scores, as well as export the information in an XML file. I've contemplated adding question-reading as a feature, but for various reasons relating to having to parse Word files, this is a nontrivial thing to do.
Actually, I'm starting work with QBML files (I have a sample one based on Aegis kickoffs that I am trying to work with). The idea is to modify the files as games are played by inserting buzz tags into the file at the appropriate points, creating a modified file that a different module will be able to read to keep score, compile stats, and generate matches.

Other modules I'm working on include a program to directly enter and manipulate questions and convert questions from QBML to OpenOffice, and from OpenOffice to QBML.

When this is all completed, I plan to release it for free under cc-by-sa.
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

rjaguar3 wrote:Actually, I'm starting work with QBML files (I have a sample one based on Aegis kickoffs that I am trying to work with). The idea is to modify the files as games are played by inserting buzz tags into the file at the appropriate points, creating a modified file that a different module will be able to read to keep score, compile stats, and generate matches.

Other modules I'm working on include a program to directly enter and manipulate questions and convert questions from QBML to OpenOffice, and from OpenOffice to QBML.

When this is all completed, I plan to release it for free under cc-by-sa.
That's a great plan. As someone who has explored the various options for how to achieve this, my advice is to keep in mind that whatever you do, you have to make it so that people can essentially plug and chug from Word; this is quite difficult to do and I've yet to find an elegant solution for it, so if you figure it out, let me know.
Jerry Vinokurov
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

grapesmoker wrote:That's a great plan. As someone who has explored the various options for how to achieve this, my advice is to keep in mind that whatever you do, you have to make it so that people can essentially plug and chug from Word; this is quite difficult to do and I've yet to find an elegant solution for it, so if you figure it out, let me know.
Jerry, just demand plain-text submissions for your next event. People will deal. This would be my plan if I were ever foolhardy enough to edit a tournament.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

BuzzerZen wrote:Jerry, just demand plain-text submissions for your next event. People will deal. This would be my plan if I were ever foolhardy enough to edit a tournament.
If I thought that would work I would have done it already.
Jerry Vinokurov
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

the world should conform to the needs of my computer program instead of the other way around because ______
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Matt Weiner wrote:the world should conform to the needs of my computer program instead of the other way around because the world of reasonably intelligent quizbowlers doesn't need Word and my computer program sure as hell does not
Andrew Watkins
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

everyday847 wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:the world should conform to the needs of my computer program instead of the other way around because the world of reasonably intelligent quizbowlers doesn't need Word and my computer program sure as hell does not
word is easy and I am lazy. convince me otherwise.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Ukonvasara wrote:
everyday847 wrote:
When I copy/paste from Wikipedia into my questions, Notepad automatically removes links so my plagiarism is never cau--ohshit
Andrew Watkins
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

everyday847 wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
everyday847 wrote:
When I copy/paste from Wikipedia into my questions, Notepad automatically removes links so my plagiarism is never cau--ohshit
sold
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Ukonvasara wrote:
everyday847 wrote:
Because Image wants you to fight the man, Rob Carson!
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."