Distribution

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Distribution

Post by Andrew from jc »

I was thinking about writing a Finearts plus some Myth and religion packet myself and wanted to know what good distribution would be for it.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: Distribution

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

So for a while I've been idly planning a Hypothetical Future Side Event consisting of myth and fine arts; here's the distribution I've laid out.

MYTH (total: 9)
2 greek/roman
1 norse/euro
1 celtic/welsh/arthurian
1 asian/african/polynesian/australian
1 central/south american
.667 egyptian
.667 indian
.667 judeo-christian-islamic figures and stories
1 native american/other/other above

ART (total: 11)
3 painting
1 architecture
1 sculpture
.5 photography
3 music
1.5 opera
.5 ballet
.5 other

Some of the more ambitious distributions (photography, ballet, J-C-I) could be cut down a bit due to answer space and my own personal laziness.

So, that's what I've come up with, if you're looking to do something similar.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

What would the target difficulty be?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

I'm looking for the difficulty to be around the Standard IS set
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Aren't Egyptian and Indian generally as deep for answer space (at least) as, say, Australian or Native American? Or is this your canon-expansion desires showing through, or something?
Andrew Watkins
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Aren't Egyptian and Indian generally as deep for answer space (at least) as, say, Australian or Native American? Or is this your canon-expansion desires showing through, or something?
I would only plan on writing maybe one or two "Native American" questions, leaving the rest of that section for common links or more of the rest of the distribution or whatever. Australian goes in the same one-per-packet subdistribution as Japanese, Chinese, Polynesian, and African, so it's not like I'm busting that wide open or anything. :smile:
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Ukonvasara wrote:
Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Aren't Egyptian and Indian generally as deep for answer space (at least) as, say, Australian or Native American? Or is this your canon-expansion desires showing through, or something?
I would only plan on writing maybe one or two "Native American" questions, leaving the rest of that section for common links or more of the rest of the distribution or whatever. Australian goes in the same one-per-packet subdistribution as Japanese, Chinese, Polynesian, and African, so it's not like I'm busting that wide open or anything. :smile:
Rob Carson, don't you dare expect me to read your posts.
Andrew Watkins
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
.sniktaW ydnA ,degnarra eb nac tahT
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Out of curiosity, why aren't you weighting arts and RMP exactly equally (10-10)?
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Ukonvasara wrote: 3 music
1.5 opera
.5 ballet
.5 other
That's a lot of opera, and no jazz.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Yeah, I'd probably bump opera down to .5 and split "other" into art film and jazz, but otherwise I like your distribution
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Yuna

Censorship in Burma wrote:Out of curiosity, why aren't you weighting arts and RMP exactly equally (10-10)?
Well, if it's just the myth part of RMP, but all arts, then "shouldn't" it be 15 arts and 5 myth, to uphold the Perfect Distributional Ratio between the subjects?*

*the Perfect Distributional Ratio does not exist.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Censorship in Burma wrote:Out of curiosity, why aren't you weighting arts and RMP exactly equally (10-10)?
I do what I want

/triple snaps
Theory Of The Leisure Flask wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote: 3 music
1.5 opera
.5 ballet
.5 other
That's a lot of opera, and no jazz.
It's probably on the high side for opera, yeah. As for jazz (and art film), I don't know much about them, and thus I would invoke the label of "vanity event" and shove those that I decide to write into "other" (which would likely be closer to 1 per packet than .5).
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Ukonvasara wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
˙uosɹɐɔ qoɹ 'ɹǝpɹɐɥ ʎɹʇ
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Opera + ballet = architecture + sculpture seems about right to me. Opera = 3 x ballet and architecture = sculpture also seems about right. Jazz and other musical arts should be roughly on par with the photography and other visual arts, in an ideal world. I think Rob's distribution is spot on.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Sir Thopas wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
˙uosɹɐɔ qoɹ 'ɹǝpɹɐɥ ʎɹʇ
E'mm dno yc rynt yc E fyhd du dno, Kio Dypylrhelg!

Further language games can now be found here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8227
theMoMA wrote:Opera + ballet = architecture + sculpture seems about right to me. Opera = 3 x ballet and architecture = sculpture also seems about right. Jazz and other musical arts should be roughly on par with the photography and other visual arts, in an ideal world. I think Rob's distribution is spot on.
Good deal. If/when my thing is ever written, it'll look a lot like what I've laid out, though a little more fluid, depending on what I actually feel like writing.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Yuna

theMoMA wrote:Opera + ballet = architecture + sculpture seems about right to me. Opera = 3 x ballet and architecture = sculpture also seems about right. Jazz and other musical arts should be roughly on par with the photography and other visual arts, in an ideal world. I think Rob's distribution is spot on.
The problem is that regular classical = only 2x opera. Personally, if I had exactly 11 questions to play with to create an arts distribution, it would probably look like this:

3 painting
.5 photography, or more painting
1.5 sculpture and architecture

3.5 regular classical
1 opera
.5 jazz and other non-classical art music

.5 film
.5 dance and other misc. arts
Chris White
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I do think Rob's distribution does underplay the art film, although I recognize the difficulty in forming an ideal distribution for such a broad target and agree that with a side event, one's own vanity touches are allowed to come into play. If Rob ever produces such an event, I'd be happy to slip him a few art film tossups.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
BRizzle
Lulu

Post by BRizzle »

Hi. I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have a question. If you were to write a tournament of only American History and World History, what would your distribution for each be? I find myself writing too much on particular subjects and am not sure how much Indian history vs. British history, Classical vs. Medieval history, ect. I should write. Being new to writing questions, it would really be helpful to have a general sub-distribution. Thanks :smile:
Brandon Williams
Northmont High School, OH
Class of 11
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Well, usually history is grouped into "US", "European" and "World". The ACF distribution ratio for history is 1 US, 3 European/Canada/Australia and 1 World, so you might expand that to a full twenty tossup set. However, for a history-only tournament, this is probably far too little US and World.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012