West coast mirror of VCU Open?

Old college threads.
grapesmoker
Sin

West coast mirror of VCU Open?

Post by grapesmoker »

Is anyone trying to organize something like this? I would really enjoy playing this tournament while I'm on vacation in California, so I hope someone (Berkeley? Stanford? UCLA?) puts together a site. Preferably it would be on the same weekend as the original.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: West coast mirror of VCU Open?

Post by Important Bird Area »

We're willing to host, but unclear if there are enough teams:

-Berkeley house team
-Jerry
-Stanford? (1 team? more teams?)
-Southern California people?

Also depends how willing people are to put up with four-team tournaments.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, if a competent person from California will write the science for this tournament, I will let you mirror the tournament *for free* (that is, your club charges whatever the market can bear and keeps it all rather than sending me a portion as you normally would). Hope this is an incentive to both make this happen and solve my science problem.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

FYI I wouldn't be able to attend this, despite my early enthusiasm for this tournament in the other thread.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Champa Kalhari wrote:We're willing to host, but unclear if there are enough teams:

-Berkeley house team
-Jerry
-Stanford? (1 team? more teams?)
-Southern California people?

Also depends how willing people are to put up with four-team tournaments.
I'll be in town for most or all of August. If there's a mirror I'll play, and I don't mind four-team tournaments.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
DakarKra
Wakka

Post by DakarKra »

I shall play this if it's at either Berkeley or Stanford. I will try to play this if it is at UCLA, Irvine, or another southerly location, provided I can arrange reasonably inexpensive travel. Also, I am willing to put up with 4 or fewer team tournaments.
Jeremy
Rutgers-New Brunswick
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I'm out the entire week between the 5th and 12th but I'd be avidly interested in attending if it were held any other day out of that time frame (which, sadly, doesn't look very likely.)
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

We can get together 1-2 teams. But not for the northies - we're already going up there!
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

We may be able to host a mirror if teams in general feel UCLA would be a better location than Berkeley. I'm going to see about reserving rooms tomorrow (if it is possible and feasible), and wait for more replies as to UCLA people who would be able to staff. I should know for sure if we can host by Thursday evening.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I'd staff for this but have no intention of playing. That is to say, were it at UCLA.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

I'll play a mirror at Berkeley or Stanford, and I don't care what weekend it's held.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

Post by unnecessarily hot »

I would be available to attend, or perhaps help organize a mirror at Berkeley, the weekend of the 8th. However, the weekend of the 15th I may be in Southern California or elsewhere.
Steven
Berkeley Quiz Bowl (2006-2010)
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Whatever the date and place, Caltech research period ends on Aug 21st, then we all go on vacation for a couple weeks, so please before that!
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

If this happens, consider also mirroring CaTO/TaCO and/or my music singles tournament with it. Just let me know if you're interested.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

Post by Birdofredum Sawin »

I'll cast my vote for a Bay Area mirror of this.
Andrew

Ex-Virginia, Ex-Chicago, Ex-Stanford
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

It looks like voting is 1-0 Bay Area, so is Berkeley or Stanford going to be hosting this? I doubt I could make it up there to attend because of transportation and class until late Friday afternoon.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

dinoian wrote:It looks like voting is 1-0 Bay Area, so is Berkeley or Stanford going to be hosting this? I doubt I could make it up there to attend because of transportation and class until late Friday afternoon.
I too vote for Bay Area. If this happens on the 8th, then I'm happy to pick up people in LA as I drive from San Diego. Warning: I may leave home quite early, and I won't be coming back directly to San Diego, so your return trip will be your responsibility.
Jerry Vinokurov
sidc
Lulu

Post by sidc »

One more vote for the bay area
Siddharth Chandrasekhar
University of Pennsylvania '11
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

Can't we just have a little socal and a little norcal gathering to just play this, without really making it into an official tournament?
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

If there was a "little SoCal" gathering, I might be able to attend since I'll be in San Diego that weekend.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Is there any move to mirror CaTO/TaCO as well?
Jerry Vinokurov
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

It looks like there will be some sort of mirror at Berkeley or at Stanford, probably on the 8th, but I suppose it could happen on the 9th if people speak up very soon and say that that's better. I imagine this will just be a one-day event with as much quizbowl as we can cram in, so I hope we will mirror CaTO/TaCO and possibly also the music event, since I'm guessing VCU Open won't have enough West Coast-blind packets to fill out a whole day of competition by itself.

Jeremy, Siddharth: are you guys still cool with showing up at Berkeley or Stanford for a mirror next weekend? It looks like we should have Andrew and Brian (and hopefully more) from Stanford, Jeff (and hopefully more) from Berkeley, Jerry, Selene, and me. Right now I think we're looking at forming 4 (probably small) teams and playing through a bunch of VCU Open and CaTO/TaCO packets, plus maybe some music rounds if there are enough interested people. If anyone else is going to be in the area and wants to join in, or if anyone wants to come up from SoCal with Jerry or on their own, please post here so we know what to expect.

Thanks,
-Seth
Seth Teitler
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
DakarKra
Wakka

Post by DakarKra »

setht wrote:It looks like there will be some sort of mirror at Berkeley or at Stanford, probably on the 8th, but I suppose it could happen on the 9th if people speak up very soon and say that that's better. I imagine this will just be a one-day event with as much quizbowl as we can cram in, so I hope we will mirror CaTO/TaCO and possibly also the music event, since I'm guessing VCU Open won't have enough West Coast-blind packets to fill out a whole day of competition by itself.

Jeremy, Siddharth: are you guys still cool with showing up at Berkeley or Stanford for a mirror next weekend? It looks like we should have Andrew and Brian (and hopefully more) from Stanford, Jeff (and hopefully more) from Berkeley, Jerry, Selene, and me. Right now I think we're looking at forming 4 (probably small) teams and playing through a bunch of VCU Open and CaTO/TaCO packets, plus maybe some music rounds if there are enough interested people. If anyone else is going to be in the area and wants to join in, or if anyone wants to come up from SoCal with Jerry or on their own, please post here so we know what to expect.
I'm still up for going to either site and playing VCU Open and/or CaTO/TaCO. I can read for the music tournament, but I don't have much interest or ability to play in it. Also, either day works for me, though I'd prefer Saturday in general, especially if we're planning to cram in as much quizbowl as a day can hold.
Jeremy
Rutgers-New Brunswick
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I'm attending this, and probably driving up with Jerry.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
sidc
Lulu

Post by sidc »

I'm definitely still up for this. Saturday would probably work better for me too.
Siddharth Chandrasekhar
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of reserving rooms at UC Berkeley for a mirror on this Saturday the 8th. I will announce details as they come, but definitely plan on this mirror being held at Berkeley (if everyone is cool with that, which it seems most people are).

Financial details of the tournament, and the other events will be worked out and will be announced ASAP.
Steven
sidc
Lulu

Post by sidc »

Is there an update on this?
Siddharth Chandrasekhar
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

The rooms have been reserved (sorry for the delay, the school just implemented a new way of reserving rooms.) Also, I've been informed that the music tourney will become more of a mini-tourney in the interest of fleshing out CaTO/TaCO.

TIME & LOCATION
Please meet at 9AM in 251 Dwinelle Hall (http://berkeley.edu/map/maps/large_map.html). Dwinelle is right next to Wheeler, which is where we held BASQUE a couple weeks ago.

COST
VCU Open
$100 base fee/team
-$10 per buzzer
-$40 per team that made a packet (Jerry and Seth's teams, as far as I know)

CaTO/TaCO
Fee TBA, until Cameron figures out how many rounds will be completed by Saturday

Music tourney
$10/person

CURRENT FIELD
I'm not totally clear on how the teams will be composed, (some mix of Stanford, Berkeley, Seth, Jerry, Auroni, Sid, Jeremy, am I forgetting anyone?) but we'll have 4 teams.
Steven
DakarKra
Wakka

Post by DakarKra »

unnecessarily hot wrote:CURRENT FIELD
I'm not totally clear on how the teams will be composed, (some mix of Stanford, Berkeley, Seth, Jerry, Auroni, Sid, Jeremy, am I forgetting anyone?) but we'll have 4 teams.
Should we do some sort of draft or is this less than ideal since we have some people who get major discounts for having written packets?
Jeremy
Rutgers-New Brunswick
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Auroni and I are playing together since we are (still) writing a packet.
Jerry Vinokurov
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

If we set up 4 teams and then play any of the field-submitted packets we're going to wind up with 2 teams playing and 2 teams sitting. Perhaps we could instead set up 3 larger teams to play one round-robin through the field-submitted packets (plus a blind packet), then reorganize into 4 teams and play the rest of the blind packets. This will make it a bit confusing to deal with packet discounts; if Jerry and Auroni don't mind, perhaps we can just spread the discounts around all the teams.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Depends a bit how many packets of each type we end up with (are there only the two VCU Open packets with content from here? Jerry/Auroni and Seth/Brian/me) If so, we can probably just not read those packets and then play the rest of the event. Especially if we have some quantity of Cato/Taco for the afternoon and then music event.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Depends a bit how many packets of each type we end up with (are there only the two VCU Open packets with content from here? Jerry/Auroni and Seth/Brian/me)
That's correct; there will be 12 other packets that are blind to the Berkeley field.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
thedodgerswin
Lulu

Post by thedodgerswin »

Has any tournament ever been organized this fast? Wow!
I would vote for a Socal mirror. Maybe CalTech can host its own tournament? Perhaps that's wishful thinking.
Steven - Chicago Quizbowl
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

If Caltech hosts one, I'll go there (and try to get a ppg >0), or i can staff.

*edit*
actually, nvm. SoCal mirror seems a bit unfeasible because i think teams are gonna travel up to berkeley from socal already. Also, if caltech hosts, thats one less team that plays the tournament.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

setht wrote:If we set up 4 teams and then play any of the field-submitted packets we're going to wind up with 2 teams playing and 2 teams sitting. Perhaps we could instead set up 3 larger teams to play one round-robin through the field-submitted packets (plus a blind packet), then reorganize into 4 teams and play the rest of the blind packets. This will make it a bit confusing to deal with packet discounts; if Jerry and Auroni don't mind, perhaps we can just spread the discounts around all the teams.

-Seth
If I may interject: this is exactly what was done at Missouri Open. Each team sat during its own packet, then we drafted all the players into four teams. Funs were had by all.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

You guys could just not play the packets contributed by people attending the mirror. You're trying to fit three tournaments into one day, I suspect you'll run out of time even if you don't use these packets.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

unnecessarily hot wrote:The rooms have been reserved (sorry for the delay, the school just implemented a new way of reserving rooms.) Also, I've been informed that the music tourney will become more of a mini-tourney in the interest of fleshing out CaTO/TaCO.

CaTO/TaCO
Fee TBA, until Cameron figures out how many rounds will be completed by Saturday

Music tourney
$10/person
I apologize to all who looked forward to even a shortened music event, but I must unfortunately spend the few waking hours I have left this weekend completing CaTO/TaCO.
As for the length, if someone from Berkley can let me know by when you need the rounds, we can settle the cost and size. I believe Jeff Hoppes will be the only person at this site not blind to all rounds (his questions should only be in 3 rounds, which might not all be among the ones we send you). If and when I manage to complete some good Music rounds, I will likely offer them for free.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I personally don't care about the organization of the tournament as long as more questions get played. I am however somewhat opposed to people piggybacking on my discounts; I spent a nice chunk of my vacation writing that packet and I certainly don't feel like anyone who didn't contribute ought to get any discounts for it.
Jerry Vinokurov
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

Tower Monarch wrote:
unnecessarily hot wrote:The rooms have been reserved (sorry for the delay, the school just implemented a new way of reserving rooms.) Also, I've been informed that the music tourney will become more of a mini-tourney in the interest of fleshing out CaTO/TaCO.

CaTO/TaCO

Music tourney
$10/person
I apologize to all who looked forward to even a shortened music event, but I must unfortunately spend the few waking hours I have left this weekend completing CaTO/TaCO.
As for the length, if someone from Berkley can let me know by when you need the rounds, we can settle the cost and size. I believe Jeff Hoppes will be the only person at this site not blind to all rounds (his questions should only be in 3 rounds, which might not all be among the ones we send you). If and when I manage to complete some good Music rounds, I will likely offer them for free.
I figure that, since we're running the VCU Open first, we will not start the CaTO/TaCO until after 5PM PST. So if you could send us whatever you have completed before then, that'd be great.
Steven
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

The Underdogs, consisting of Andrew, Brian, and Jeremy came in first at 7-2. Stats will be posted soon.
Steven
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

Stats have been posted. Sorry for the extreme delay. The server had been down for the last month or so and is finally back in action.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~quizbowl/t ... dings.html
Steven