Missouri '09-'10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Missouri '09-'10

Post by Deckard Cain »

Surely, after running the worst state tournament in a history of bad state tournaments, MSHSAA will finally give in and make some improvements. At least, they can't possibly hire Questions Galore again. Right? Right??
In an email, Stacy Schroeder wrote:At the last meeting, the Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA) Board of Directors approved an extension of the question-writing contract with Question Galore; therefore, this company will continue as the MSHSAA question-writing company for the 2009-10 school year. Thank you very much for your past and/or current interest in writing post-season questions for Missouri. We will keep your company on our roster for future Request for Proposals. Please contact me if you have any questions.
:sad:

So, who will be able to find their rear ends with two hands and a map THIS year?
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11
Missouri Quizbowl Alliance member/president emeritus

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Charbroil
Auron

Re: Missouri '09-'10

Post by Charbroil »

Didn't we figure out on the Missouri forum that they were obligated to do so for outside reasons or something?

Anyway, on the bright side, eight teams attended the HSNCT last year and I imagine at least as many will this year. Getting to PACE NSC might be a bit tough (due to transportation costs), but there might be at least one or two that might. Furthermore, MOQBA is running something like 8-12 tournaments this year, which is certainly good. Once MOQBA begins really capitalizing on the large existing circuit in Missouri by replacing bad tournaments with good ones, I'm sure Missouri will take off and at least become like Illinois in terms of the availability of good Quiz Bowl and competitiveness, if not better.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Didn't we figure out on the Missouri forum that they were obligated to do so for outside reasons or something?
The opposite, actually.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Grant Gates from NKC had an impressive showing at ACE camp, showing good knowledge in all areas, along with great dedication. If he can find some teammates, I'd expect them to do very well this year.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Am I the only person who wonders how coincidental it is that every NAQT or HSAPQ event announced in Missouri immediately sees a buzzer-beater tournament announced on the same date within 100 miles? It's almost as if there is some powerful figure in Missouri who is so pathologically angry about good quizbowl that he is actively working to undermine it....whoever that could be.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Don't give Illinois any ideas...
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Matt Weiner wrote:Am I the only person who wonders how coincidental it is that every NAQT or HSAPQ event announced in Missouri immediately sees a buzzer-beater tournament announced on the same date within 100 miles? It's almost as if there is some powerful figure in Missouri who is so pathologically angry about good quizbowl that he is actively working to undermine it....whoever that could be.
We've had three--and I don't think anyone's actually gotten to talk to the coaches involved. It's a little early to be worrying about conspiracies, especially since it would require an incredible amount of bad faith and on the part of a tournament host--something along the lines of "I'm going to give up hundreds of dollars in registration fees just to mess with this other tournament"--for somone to do what you're suggesting. Besides, it's not as if the figures involved doing this sort of things are pathological opponents of good Quiz Bowl either; two of the three are new coaches who probably aren't familiar with the Missouri board, and only one of the three tournaments that have been scheduled against was officially announced.

That being said, I'm sure we'll keep an eye on this possibility.

Edit: Three this year. I guess if you include the conflicts in the past, then we've had quite a few conflicts.
Last edited by Charbroil on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl

Only three, Charles?
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Villa Duchesne, NAQT MO Qualifier, and Tiger Bowl--is there another I didn't hear about?
Charles Hang

Well, last year there were tournaments that went unannounced anywhere in a public forum that ran against Tiger Bowl, NAQT State, the MST Spring Tournament, and the Missouri Fall Tournament.

I just finished conducting a top 10 poll, similar to Fred's top 25 national poll. Here are the results:

1. Ladue Horton Watkins, Ladue (1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 5)
2. Parkway Central A, Chesterfield (1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5)
3. North Kansas City (1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4)
4. Clayton (2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4)
5. Priory, Creve Coeur (4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5)
6. Savannah (6, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10, 10)
7. Villa Duchesne, St. Louis County (6, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10)
8. Hickman, Columbia (6, 6, 6, 7, 10, 10)
9. St. Louis University, St. Louis (7, 8, 8, 9, 10)
10. Fort Zumwalt West, O'Fallon (4, 7, 10)

Honorable mention:
Eureka (6, 9, 10)
Parkway Central B (9, 9, 9)
Park Hill South (5)
Pilot Grove (4)
Holden (3), Truman (3), Richland (3)

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

I'm holding summer practices at Washington University in St. Louis, mostly on Wednesday evenings from 6-8. For more information, check out this thread: http://www.moquizbowl.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2107
Charles Hang