Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl (April 17th, 2010)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl (April 17th, 2010)

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

This is the announcement for the Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl, at Caesar Rodney High School in Camden Delaware. The tournament will be held on April 17th, 2010. We would like to hold the opening meeting at 8:45am (meaning all teams should be signed in by that time), and all rounds should start at 9:00am. It is our goal to have all regular rounds be finished by 5:00pm.

The price will be set at $60.00 for the first team, and $50.00 for every subsequent team. Discounts will consist of $10.00 off for moderators, buzzers (perhaps an even larger discount if things become dire), and then another $5.00 off for every 100miles traveled.

To refresh everyone's memory, we had planned to use a HSAPQ set, but when HSAPQ decided to reduce the number of sets they were going to produce, we found ourselves without a set. So, having had a series of emails back and forth with Matt Weiner, it seems that we will be using a set of reformatted HSAPQ produced VHSL questions. The set we will receive will be reformatted from the original VHSL format and will have 15 sets and be standard 20/20. In regards to difficulty and distribution, according to Matt, the current internal guidelines are that the VHSL Regionals questions should be exactly the same as normal HSAPQ tournament sets, and the VHSL States questions should be slightly harder than that, but still will be noticeably easier than high school nationals. The Regionals questions would make up packets 1-8 of the set, and the States questions would make up packets 9-15. So, from my understanding, this reformatted VHSL set will practically be a regular HSAPQ set, just with harder playoff questions, which makes this option very appealing to us. We hope everyone will be satisfied with this alternative set.

Currently, the cap on teams is going to be set at 24 teams, in order to keep the event small enough to ensure that only the best possible people will be reading questions, and that there will be a score keeper in every room. There is a potential and a desire to increase the cap to 28 or 30 teams, but that happening is pending on whether or not we have enough buzzers.

The bracketing at present will include 4 round robin brackets of 6 teams each for the prelims. Following the 5 matches in the prelims, all teams will be re-bracketed into 4 more round robin brackets based on record, the 3 consolation bracket, and the championship bracket, where all teams will play another 5 matches against similarly skilled teams, and then the top two teams of the championship bracket will play for the tournament title. In any event or field size, we will have a format where the finals and consolation rounds will be played in a round robin format. This current bracketing strategy is being reviewed by team members to ensure that we, and all teams participating, will be satisfied. A change is very possible.

This tournament is a PACE-NSC qualifier (not that it matters now, because the field is already full...).

Directions to the school and information about lunch will be provided shortly.

Any questions or concerns can be e-mailed to either Mr. Chrzanowski, or I, at andrew(dot)chrzanowski(at)cr(dot)k12(dot)de(dot)us or rstaraila(at)gmail(dot)com. Thank you.

Teams Registered (14):
-Kellenberg (2 teams, 1 Moderator, 3 buzzers)
-St. Joseph's (2 teams, 1 moderator, 2 buzzers)
-St. Anselm's (1 team, 1 buzzer)
-Delmar (1 team)
-Delcastle (2 teams, 1 moderator, 1 buzzer)
-Georgetown Day School (1 team, 5 buzzers)
-Blake (1 team, 1 buzzer)
-Charter (3 teams, 1 moderator, 2 buzzers)
-Quince Orchard (1 team, 1 buzzer)

Totals: 14 teams, 4 moderators, 16 buzzers
Last edited by Self-incompatibility in plants on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 42 times in total.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: Tentative Announcement for the Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

This would be the first time we've hosted a tournament, by the way. It would be really cool if you could come to central Delaware to see our actually-pretty-nice-looking school and play some quizbowl. We're going to appeal to some Delaware teams but besides Charter and Mt. Pleasant (and maybe one or two others), we're not really thinking many would come. So, this is just to figure out how much interest there is out there. We'll get the real details figured out in due time.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

I predict that fully half the field will be from Charters A to I.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

It would be really good of you guys to reach out especially to teams from Delaware who don't do much academic competition, simply because there isn't as much of it around. A lot of teams went to Blue Hen and NAQT States, but not much else - try hard to get your field close to full with those teams if you can. We might want to go to this, but I'd be more reluctant to go if we drove out space for Delaware teams to compete.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:I predict that fully half the field will be from Charters A to I.
That's still only 9 teams. Charter can do much better than that. Also, please try not to schedule this for early Jan/Feb, because we're using an HSAPQ set around that time. I'm not sure if HSAPQ can crank out new sets that quickly.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I suppose you could buy the same set. CR seems to be specifally targeting DE schools.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Auron

ColJade wrote:
Prof.Whoopie wrote:I predict that fully half the field will be from Charters A to I.
That's still only 9 teams. Charter can do much better than that. Also, please try not to schedule this for early Jan/Feb, because we're using an HSAPQ set around that time. I'm not sure if HSAPQ can crank out new sets that quickly.
Yeah, Matt, i know... we're just trying to be nice to Mr. Tressler/Charter/UD here and not schedule when they do stuff. Now Tressler hasn't gotten back to me yet but usually the Delaware Fall Open is in December, our NAQT Champ. is in January, and UD's Blue Hen Open is in March. So we're trying to avoid those months.... and it doesn't leave us with much.

Believe me, we're open to suggestions.
RyuAqua wrote:It would be really good of you guys to reach out especially to teams from Delaware who don't do much academic competition, simply because there isn't as much of it around. A lot of teams went to Blue Hen and NAQT States, but not much else - try hard to get your field close to full with those teams if you can. We might want to go to this, but I'd be more reluctant to go if we drove out space for Delaware teams to compete.
Oh, yeah, don't worry, Matt (yes, there were two that posted in this thread...), i would LOVE to get more DE teams to do this. You don't know how many schools i e-mailed last year (actually, i don't even know how many) from Delaware to get to show up to our NAQT Champ. which Mr. Tressler helps run FOR FREE (as in, schools pay ZERO to attend) and still almost all of these schools ignored my e-mail and did nothing. So, yeah, we're definitely going to heavily promote this to local teams but... well... there just aren't many. I can think of literally one other school in our entire county that would do this, and when you're in a state with three total counties, it hurts.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Anti-Climacus wrote:I suppose you could buy the same set. CR seems to be specifally targeting DE schools.
Well, Doug, i mean yeah that would be nice, but we KNOW we're going to need some outside "help" here and a couple MD/DC/VA teams maybe. I know you all don't really like driving 1-2 hours anywhere (except to Richmond), but, well... now you now how we feel 12 times a year.

Again, it's all just tentative.

Really the purpose of this thread is to see how many teams that read this boards would be willing to come. I just hope it's a non-zero amount.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:
ColJade wrote:
Yeah, Matt, i know... we're just trying to be nice to Mr. Tressler/Charter/UD here and not schedule when they do stuff. Now Tressler hasn't gotten back to me yet but usually the Delaware Fall Open is in December, our NAQT Champ. is in January, and UD's Blue Hen Open is in March. So we're trying to avoid those months.... and it doesn't leave us with much.

Believe me, we're open to suggestions.
I understand your position. Sorry if I seemed pushy: I know you'll do your best.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Rikku

I suppose you could buy the same set. CR seems to be specifally targeting DE schools.
To be clear, one of our hopes is to try and expand good quizbowl in DE, and we would love for many DE teams to compete, but that however does not mean that we don't want other teams to compete as well. We would like nothing more than for team teams like Whitman, GDS, and St. Anselms to attend.
Also, please try not to schedule this for early Jan/Feb, because we're using an HSAPQ set around that time. I'm not sure if HSAPQ can crank out new sets that quickly.
HSAPQ is our set provider of choice, but if it would cause an overlap of questions with another nearby tournament (like ZIGZAG), we would not be necessarily resistant to changing to another quality questions provider. In no way do we wish to impede on any other tournament (or for that matter want to have any other tournament impede on our own). Luckily though, we still have some time to work these things out.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joseph's of Metuchen is interested, and we could try to talk to some New Jersey & New York teams---after all, Virginia, DC & Maryland ARE difficult for us to get to---4 hours each way, not really do-able in a day, but Delaware seems more possible, since it would only be roughly 2 hours each way, which could allow for an exciting day trip if the competition is truly worthy. The key issue is the actual date you set, since we already have some local commitments for next year. But if the date you pick allows us to come, we would certainly like to try & help you get your first tournament off the ground and at the same time get to see some new and challenging competition. Maybe Virginia, DC & Maryland teams can meet us half-way & see Delaware schools like yours as providing an opportunity to both encourage more Delaware schools, perhaps, to develop competitive teams, but also as a means of playing more NJ, NY,PA and possibly Connecticut teams. It would be nice to have more chances to play some of the great teams from the VA-DC-MD circuit, if only to learn how much more we need to improve, since we are relatively new to the NAQT/PACE type formats, which my kids happen to love. So---we would be thrilled to step up in competition and come if the date is an agreeable one---and I will mention your tourney to any local coaches I see personally. And, if any coaches or players from the VA-DC-MD are intrigued by this, perhaps we can make this an annual way of getting some of the best teams in the Northeast to face what are, admittedly, some of the best teams in the country. It seems like a win-win to me, so I hope those in the acknowledged mecca of quizbowl decide to help launch this potential new stream of annual competition, and if so, I will do my best on this end to try and encourage the best teams in this area to do the same. It could be great fun.

So---we at St. Joe's encourage all at CR to recruit in the North as well as South for your tournament---there ARE some good teams up here, and maybe they will also be willing to come if the date you select makes it possible, and my bet is they would be even more willing to come if somehow you could also assure them that you have recruited well to your South as well---for then your tourney will provide a tremendous increase in the calibre of opposition that every quizbowl player & team worthy of the name would find irresistable. So---good luck with your recruting, and we promise to help up here.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I of course have no actual stake in this other than I love to see more good quizbowl, but I might suggest actually letting the Caesar Rodney team know which dates are big conflicts for lots of New Jersey teams so that these things can be factored in.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auron

Edward Powers wrote:stuff
Thanks, Ed, that's a good point... i'll try to tap into my limited resources and hopefully Bill Tressler's as well and maybe market to a few PA and NJ teams, the small amount that there are that would want to drive down toll roads to Dover, DE. But thanks for reminding me about other areas that i honestly kinda forgot about. We'll see if it works.
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I of course have no actual stake in this other than I love to see more good quizbowl, but I might suggest actually letting the Caesar Rodney team know which dates are big conflicts for lots of New Jersey teams so that these things can be factored in.
And yeah, Charlie, that's a good point... we would like to see which dates conflict cause right now, we just have no idea what's going to be okay in terms of when to hold this. I'm already worried that we're going to get more teams say "well we were going to host something on this day, but now..." and that's the last thing we want to do. We know the pecking order here and we're reserved to being close to the bottom, but we really really really want to figure something out.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

We'd consider doing this, but would choose a significantly closer event if on the same day. Google maps puts the trip at about two hours. Not whining about the length of trip, of course. Certainly you guys have made this trip much more often than we have.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Auron

Howard wrote:We'd consider doing this, but would choose a significantly closer event if on the same day. Google maps puts the trip at about two hours. Not whining about the length of trip, of course. Certainly you guys have made this trip much more often than we have.
It's really closer to 100 minutes (Google Maps is good, but always too slow), but who's counting?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I cannot speak for other New Jersey schools, but Charlie is right in suggesting that we give you specific dates to help you with your planning, so, here goes. Saint Joe's has been in two leagues in Westchester county since 1995, and our leagues have already scheduled January 31st and February 6th for next year. This leaves February 13th, 20th and 27th open for us, although Winterbreak is often scheduled for many schools around Presidents' Day, so maybe only two of these 3 Saturdays in February would be good.

As for the issue of good schools up here, there certainly are a baker's dozen at least. In New Jersey Bergen Academies, Seton Hall, Millburn, East Brunswick, Livingston, Columbia, Bloomfield, Chatham, Pingry & Delbarton all usually produce competitive teams, and some have done quite well at nationals over the years. And I'm sure I've overlooked a couple.

Additionally, on Long Island, Kellenberg & Half Hollow Hills West have been excellent, and then of course there's Hunter & Stuyvesant in NYC. And I know some very talented Westchester teams like Horace Greeley, Byram Hills, and New Rochelle have expressed an interest in competing in more NAQT/PACE style tournaments. If you add some Southeastern Pennsy teams---Moravian comes to mind---surely you have some very good competition into which you can tap. And if many or most of these teams came, would State College be far behind? In short, the potential for truly great competition exists, so advertising this possibility both North & South would surely be a good approach, would it not?

I know many coaches up here would LOVE to give their kids the opportunity to play against the many great teams in the VA-DC-MD area, but 4 hours each way would necessitate an overnighter in most cases, and this is not feasible for most squads except at nationals.

I agree with Charlie in another way---anything to improve quizbowl is a good thing---and perhaps Delaware is the ideal locale to bring the very good Northeast teams into contact with the great DC area teams in a reasonable geographic compromise for all involved. It would diversify competition, and it might have the added benefit of inspiring more Delaware teams to develop programs so they could get in on the fun. And if so, why not let Caesar Rodney provide the venue for this new stream of high calibre competition, on an annual basis perhaps? And given the calibre of the Wilmington Charter teams, it is my suspicion that Coach Tressler would also support having more very good/great teams descend upon Delaware annually.

Anyway---I hope providing our possible dates has helped. Perhaps other schools can weigh in ASAP on these February dates, especially the potential Winterbreak Saturday, so as to allow you to find the date that can accomodate the the best potential field in as reasonable a time as is possible for you to set it.

And although I cannot speak for any other school or coach, most of the teams I singled out from New Jeresy & this region are clearly schools dedicated to excellence in quizbowl, so any opportunity that is within reason for such schools would surely be appreciated by them, I am quite certain of this. So the real issue is would they see traveling as much as two hours each way in one day---probably the max of travel for any one day----as reasonable? I suspect if the competition is potentially outstanding, enough coaches would be willing to try, and I know the kids who love quizbowl would truly relish any ugrade in competition and competitive diversity.

S0---good luck with you efforts. I will try to help up here as much as I can. Perhaps we'll see you next Winter---on your home turf!!!!!!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

I cannot speak for other New Jersey schools, but Charlie is right in suggesting that we give you specific dates to help you with your planning, so, here goes. Saint Joe's has been in two leagues in Westchester county since 1995, and our leagues have already scheduled January 31st and February 6th for next year. This leaves February 13th, 20th and 27th open for us, although Winterbreak is often scheduled for many schools around Presidents' Day, so maybe only two of these 3 Saturdays in February would be good.
Thanks for letting us know all of this. We will be sure to take these dates into consideration when we do the final planning.
And if so, why not let Caesar Rodney provide the venue for this new stream of high calibre competition, on an annual basis perhaps?
This would be fantastic! We would be honored to provide such a venue for the mixing of regions. We will do our best to try and fulfill our potential in this area.
Anyway---I hope providing our possible dates has helped.
It has! Thanks!
Perhaps we'll see you next Winter---on your home turf!!!!!!
I hope to see you here!

To fulfill all of the hopes that we, and others, have for this tournament, we would have to increase the cap on teams in order to capacitate more teams from all regions to compete. We are willing to do this so long as the quality of our tournament is not hampered, which would mean we have more high caliber readers coming in from outside of our school. So, we would like to know if any of the teams that have expressed interest might also be able to offer a reader, or, if in general, there are any outside players or coaches at any level that might be willing to make the trek to CR to read, so as to give us a general idea of whether or not we can increase the field size. Granted, all of this is under an assumption that there will be many teams registering to compete, when the complete opposite could occur (but why not prepare for many teams just in case?).
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Rikku

Teams Registered (10):
-Kellenberg (2 teams, 1 Moderator, 3 buzzers)
-St. Joseph's (2 teams, 1 moderator, 2 buzzers)
-St. Anselm's (1 team, 1 buzzer)
-Delmar (2 teams)
-Delcastle (2 teams, 1 moderator, 1 buzzer)
-Georgetown Day School (1 team)

Teams Committed to Coming (8-?):
-Seton Hall (1 team, ? moderators, ? buzzers)
-Tatnall (1 team, ? moderators, ? buzzers)
-Charter (3-4 teams, 1 moderator, ? buzzers)
-RM (1-2 teams, ? moderators, ?buzzers)
-St. John's (1-2 teams, 1 moderator, 1-2 buzzers)

*** Teams that have committed to coming need to provide all necessary information to officially register. Please and thanks! ***

Expressed Interest (7-?)
-Howard (1)
-Blake (1)
-Mount Pleasant (1-2)
-Concord (?)
-Quince Orchard (1)
-A.I. Dupont (1)
-Caravel (?)
Last edited by Self-incompatibility in plants on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:08 am, edited 17 times in total.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

With all due respect to Ed, but the Westchester leagues are Chip territory. I do not think that you will have too great a conclict should you cross-schedule. (Excepting St. Joe's, of course!) We at Seton Hall Prep are always looking for a tournament!
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Assuming the dates work out, I would certainly offer to read in order to help. My assistant could travel around with my team(s).

As for Westchester being Chip territory, there are some good teams up there that have verbally stated to me that they do wish to spread their wings and try other formats. Of course, the proof is in the pudding, but even if those teams declined, for whatever reason, there still are at least a dozen or so good to excellent teams up here in the NYC-Jersey-Southeast Pennsy area that might love to cut the distance to the great DC region teams in half by meeting up in Delaware, and as Trey has indicated, CR would love to aid in helping to bring this about. And it is good to hear that Seton Hall is already interested. So---June is not yet over and already some talented programs have indicated that they are interested---seems like the "Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl" is off to an auspicious start.

But Mike is correct---do not be afraid to cross-schedule on account of our Westchester commitments---if the 31st of January or the 6th of February turn out to the best dates for most teams, then by all means select these (although if memory serves correctly, Hunter's Prison Bowl was on the last Saturday of January last year, and if they hold it again at the same time, I doubt you would want to cross-schedule against their tournament, given the number of great teams that attended Hunter last year.) And if you do select one of the dates where we have a conflict, we would of course honor our league commitments, but certainly wish you all the best. But if any other February date is better, we will surely come and I will read if you need readers.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

With all due respect to Ed, but the Westchester leagues are Chip territory. I do not think that you will have too great a conclict should you cross-schedule. (Excepting St. Joe's, of course!) We at Seton Hall Prep are always looking for a tournament!
All the more reason to try and get these teams to attend and experience more good quizbowl, and we hope to have you guys come and compete, Mr. Zinsmeister!
Assuming the dates work out, I would certainly offer to read in order to help. My assistant could travel around with my team(s).
That would be fantastic, thanks so much for everything, Mr. Powers!
But Mike is correct---do not be afraid to cross-schedule on account of our Westchester commitments---if the 31st of January or the 6th of February turn out to the best dates for most teams, then by all means select these (although if memory serves correctly, Hunter's Prison Bowl was on the last Saturday of January last year, and if they hold it again at the same time, I doubt you would want to cross-schedule against their tournament, given the number of great teams that attended Hunter last year.) And if you do select one of the dates where we have a conflict, we would of course honor our league commitments, but certainly wish you all the best. But if any other February date is better, we will surely come and i will read if you need readers.
We will do our best accommodate all teams, while doing what is best for the tournament. Hopefully everything will work out for the best.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Your gratitude is greatly appreciated, but it is we who should be thanking you, Trey, for offering to host in the first place, for without hosts, what would the rest of us do? So, thank you---you and everyone else at CR who will be responsible for organizing this potentially wonderful event.

And, given the energy and commitment to running a great tournament which is already evident in each & every one of your posts, I think the first annual "Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl" is in great hands and will be sure to be a great success if it comes anywhere near to matching the continued excellent efforts you will doubtless make.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Sacapuntas
Lulu

Post by Sacapuntas »

We will certainly attempt to be there, maybe even with two teams--but I can't make any firm commitment this far in advance.
Peter Andrews
Captain, Mount Pleasant High School '10
Columbia '14

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
Auron

Sacapuntas wrote:We will certainly attempt to be there, maybe even with two teams--but I can't make any firm commitment this far in advance.
Sweet. I'm going to e-mail a lot of the teams, but if you have any other connections, Peter, with some of the Northern Delaware teams, hopefully you can get a couple more of them to show up. It's good to see you guys wanting to be active and we can't wait to see you this year. Hope your summer is going well.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Rikku

It is now official! We have approval to host a tournament at Caesar Rodney! The tournament will be held on either the 3rd of 4th Saturday of April (the 17th or 24th). We decided to go with April to sufficiently avoid any other DE tournament, and to hopefully avoid any overlapping of HSAPQ sets with nearby tournaments also using HSAPQ (ZIGZAG in particular), so as to ensure that all fields from all nearby areas can attend this tournament. However, the decision of which date to hold the tournament on has not been made yet, and is apparently up to us to determine, so if any interested teams or potential volunteers would like to weigh in on which date is best to hold this tournament, that would be immensely beneficial to us in making the final decision. Thanks again for everyone's expressed interest and hopes for this tournament, we will truly do our best to host the best tournament possible.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Auron

Great! Thanks a lot.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Rikku

Great! Thanks a lot.
Yep. We hope to see you there!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl (April 17th or 24th, 2010)

Post by Edward Powers »

Trey,

Last time we spoke was in June, so I thought I'd re-connect and see how your plans are going---any news on the date yet---the 17th or the 24th of April? I ask because my school tends to like busing schedules as early as possible, so the sooner I know, the better the chances are that we can come. But if you do not know yet, it's still early and there is time. Besides, I have also written for another reason--- to congratulate you on the quality of the field that seems interested in coming. That's quite a formidable field that seems to be assembling!

Let's hope such interest continues and expands, so that your initial Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl is just the first in a long line of smashing successes. And whichever April date you choose, we will do our best to be there---and probably the only thing that could prevent this would be if NJ States were scheduled on the same day, and I will try to the extent that I can influence such a decision to make sure that such a conflict does not happen.

Meanwhile, congrats on your Pre-Season National Ranking---hopefully it has encouraged everyone on your squad to live up to the honor such a selection represents. Your team must be quite proud.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

Edward Powers wrote:Trey,

Last time we spoke was in June, so I thought I'd re-connect and see how your plans are going---any news on the date yet---the 17th or the 24th of April? I ask because my school tends to like busing schedules as early as possible, so the sooner I know, the better the chances are that we can come. But if you do not know yet, it's still early and there is time. Besides, I have also written for another reason--- to congratulate you on the quality of the field that seems interested in coming. That's quite a formidable field that seems to be assembling!

Let's hope such interest continues and expands, so that your initial Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl is just the first in a long line of smashing successes. And whichever April date you choose, we will do our best to be there---and probably the only thing that could prevent this would be if NJ States were scheduled on the same day, and I will try to the extent that I can influence such a decision to make sure that such a conflict does not happen.

Meanwhile, congrats on your Pre-Season National Ranking---hopefully it has encouraged everyone on your squad to live up to the honor such a selection represents. Your team must be quite proud.
Mr. Powers,

It's good to hear from you again, and likewise that this tournament is still in people's minds. We have chosen a date, April 17th, and at this point are simply waiting for a response to our email from our Admin's to again confirm that this date is acceptable. Once they reply to our email, we will make that date official, and will begin taking registrations. If you must set a date right now, then good ahead and set it as the 17th, but I would wait until we have absolute confirmation from our school's administration, just in case.

I too am very excited about some of the teams that have expressed interest. However I will be even more excited when these teams register. Some of these expressions of interest have been timid at best, so it will be interesting to see how many actually come through. We here at CR would be honored if all those teams that expressed interest are able to make it, and sincerely hope that they all are able to attend. In fact, in order to ensure that we can accommodate all teams that are or may be interested, we have decided to increase our cap to 24 teams.

We are certainly very excited about those rankings, and will work very hard to try and live up to them. We want our program to be respectable in all aspects, and that includes more than our ability to compete, so we also desperately want for this tournament be run well and to be considered a success, in addition to being successful in competition. With that in mind, I would like to personally thank you for your concerns and offers of assistance that will assuredly help us make this tournament reach the very high expectations that we have for it. I hope you and your team are able to make it! Good luck in your season this year!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thank you Trey.

We will pencil in the 17th---but keep an eraser close by---just in case you need to change it to the 24th. :smile:

And given the passion & thoughtfulness you always seem to express for quizbowl, it is my guess that your tournament will be quite successful, and hopefully many of the great teams who have already expressed interest will give CR a chance to show this and commit to your tournament as soon as they possibly can. And perhaps by offering the firm date that you have, you have already made their commitment that much easier---they too can now pencil in the"CRRB". :grin:
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

2 teams, 3 buzzers, 1 moderator.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

As soon as you finalize a date, let me know. Seton Hall Prep will be there.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Auron

Well it's pretty darn early but we have been officially PACE-NSC certified and will be a qualifier for the National Scholastics Championship in 2010. :party:

Now if our principal would just read (or, stop ignoring) my e-mail and finalize our date, we'd be good to go.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Rikku

Alright, we just got the confirmation from out Principal, and we are cleared to have the tournament on the April 17th! Any and all registrations will be taken from this point on!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl (April 17th, 2010)

Post by Edward Powers »

Trey,

I see you have us registered for 1 team. That is fine for now, even though we wish to bring 2 teams, for by leaving it at 1 it allows more different schools the opportunity to fit within your proposed registration cap of 24. So for now, 1 team, with 1 on the waiting list. And 1 buzzer and 1 moderator.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

I see you have us registered for 1 team. That is fine for now, even though we wish to bring 2 teams, for by leaving it at 1 it allows more different schools the opportunity to fit within your proposed registration cap of 24. So for now, 1 team, with 1 on the waiting list. And 1 buzzer and 1 moderator.
There was something that made me think that you had expressed interest for only one team, but I can't seem to find it when looking back. In any case though, that was my mistake, and I don't want to hold your team back just because of our cap, which is still very far off from being met. I will add you second team right now.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Trey,

I know it is still very early, but have you received any firmer commitments from teams that have previously expressed interest?

And, BTW---I did note that you registered my B Team despite my willingness to give you a little more flexibility in accepting more A Teams...and this is fine---I accept your executive decision. :smile:
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

I know it is still very early, but have you received any firmer commitments from teams that have previously expressed interest?
I have not received any other firmer commitments, but for a lot of schools in the DC Metro area, school has not started yet, which is of course is an impedance on finalizing plans for the year, so I was not counting on receiving any other final commitments for a while. Also, for whatever reason, a lot of teams in the DC area tend to register at what I consider to be fairly last minute. However, I do expect many of the teams on that list to attend, and have even gotten promises in person from some players that their teams will attend, they just have not taken that final step to register yet. So have faith, they will come along eventually!

And, BTW---I did note that you registered my B Team despite my willingness to give you a little more flexibility in accepting more A Teams...and this is fine---I accept your executive decision. :smile:
I don't expect there to be a scarcity of space any time soon, so it is no problem whatsoever to register your B team. I would hate to have you guys not knowing if they were going or not until last minute, so I just went ahead and put you guys down for 2 teams. Thank you however for your willingness to give us some flexibility.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Rikku

Good news. One more team can go up, and they are even from DC!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

That is excellent news.

And I do have faith---I understand that many schools are not yet open. Really, I was just curious here. Also---sorry you will not be at Princeton, but good luck with the IS-86 Set----at Richard Montgomery, is it not?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

Edward Powers wrote:That is excellent news.
Also---sorry you will not be at Princeton, but good luck with the IS-86 Set----at Richard Montgomery, is it not?
It is. Thanks. We will only have half of our A team, so we will need all the luck we can get. Good luck at Princeton though!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks for your well wishes---and I should have all my players, both A & B, at Princeton, so we will not be playing with the handicap that you will.

Still, 5 of my top 6 from last year graduated, so this will be an interesting early test for my kids, and it looks like a quality field is assembling---Dorman, Charter, Kellenberg & Bergen---just to mention a few of the most outstanding programs in recent years, will be there, and there is still time for many more high calibre teams to register as well, so it should be great fun.

But I imagine many great teams will be at RM as well, so good luck to you too.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Sacapuntas
Lulu

Post by Sacapuntas »

It looks like the date of this tournament is the day after our school's Relay for Life--after which I wonder if we'll have one functioning brain among us. We remain interested, but I'll have to talk with the team as this date gets closer.
Peter Andrews
Captain, Mount Pleasant High School '10
Columbia '14

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
Rikku

Sacapuntas wrote:It looks like the date of this tournament is the day after our school's Relay for Life--after which I wonder if we'll have one functioning brain among us. We remain interested, but I'll have to talk with the team as this date gets closer.
Oh man. I completely forgot about the Relay for Life at Mount. Sorry we overlooked that, I really hope you guys can still make it. This also of course makes my attendance of the Relay a little more sketchy too, assuming I will be busy with last minute preparations. I always enjoyed going too. I'll still of course do my part and send some money up with the other Dover people though. Sorry for this oversight. Good luck with the Relay.

edit: added content
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Charter will bring whatever number of teams we're allowed to. Put us down for 3-4 and we can discuss things when we get closer to the event.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Rikku

Bad Boy Bill wrote:Charter will bring whatever number of teams we're allowed to. Put us down for 3-4 and we can discuss things when we get closer to the event.
Okay, will do. Thanks.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Trey---as you know, the NAQT STATE CHAMPIONSHIP for New Jersey has now been cross-scheduled with the CRRB.

A discussion about this is now going on at the NJ site, and it might be possible that an earlier date can be selected to avoid this conflict---but there seem to be only 2 such possible dates if Jon Pinyan's schedule analysis is correct.

So, here's a question: Assuming no earlier date is possible for NJ STATES, is it possible for CR to select another date, perhaps April 24th, an option you had contemplated before selecting April 17th? I only ask because there still is a lot of time, not because I think you should feel obligated to move the date---you have to do what is best for the CRRB, and if keeping your date as is, then you must do that. I only ask as a matter of curiosity and of potential flexibility in order to keep as broad a geographic scope of registrants for CRRB as possible. Perhaps you can poll the teams who have already registered or expressed interest to see how open they might be to a possible date change due to this sudden conflict with NJ's State Championships.

Hopefully, of course, the NJ STATES date will be changed, making any change for you a moot issue. But, forewarned is forearmed, so any insights you might gain from such a poll might be helpful. What do you think?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

I've posted in the other thread also, but let me be clear... I told NAQT the April 17th date without realizing the conflict. We would never want to force you guys to move your previously-scheduled tournament unless there was no other option (and I hope the solution that I've suggested on the other thread is satisfactory). Sorry for the confusion/chaos that this is causing.
Kunle Demuren
Ocean Lakes (VA) Scholastic Bowl (2003-07)
Princeton College Bowl (2007-)
Auron

There's a novice tournament being held at TJ on the 24th of April (we think). So i don't want to prevent TJ from coming here, or prevent us from going there when it'll be the last chance for my freshmen and sophomores to play for the year.

But this conflict may be bigger, so i could be coerced into it.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

You should not feel coerced into anything. Hopefully there is enough time to find a solution. If not, the NJ schools will have to decide which tournament to attend---yours or STATES. But right now there is no reason to think in terms of coercion---it seems that other dates are being considered as I write this. So, right now, patience and trust in the good sense of others involved is probably all that is necessary. Keep the faith.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ