Early Bird/Southeastern @ Berry College -- 11/7/09

Old college threads.
BerryCollegeBowl
Wakka

Early Bird/Southeastern @ Berry College -- 11/7/09

Post by BerryCollegeBowl »

Greetings all!

The Berry College College Bowl Team would like to announce that our 37th Annual Scholar's Bowl/Southeastern will be held on our beautiful Mount Berry, GA campus on November 7, 2009. This will be a packet submission tournament. Fees and packet deadlines will be posted in the coming weeks. This year's tournament will be edited by Berry alum Eric Emmett.

If you have any questions or would like to reserve a spot in the field, please contact us @ [email protected]

We look forward to hearing from you all!

Regards,

BCB
Last edited by BerryCollegeBowl on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kricket Davis, Coach
Berry College College Bowl
Mount Berry, GA
[email protected]
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Re: Early Bird/Southeastern @ Berry College -- 11/7/09

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

I would like to recommend this tournament to Furman, since it's close by and is likely to have an appropriate difficulty level for introducing new members to the college game. I won't do it, though, unless you release the questions used in last year's tournament. I suppose I'm happy that you're no longer producing the house-written Southern college football theme packets that I played on in 2007, but, due to the lack of record, I can't even go back and fairly judge how those questions were today, much less evaluate how well Berry did with its packet submission experiment.

You wrote in advance of last year's tournament: "We hope that this year's edition will enhance our reputation." It hasn't, and could not have -- because, even if the questions were the best thing produced that year, it would be difficult for the word to get out. Few of the people who attended your tournaments in 2008 and 2007 are connected to the larger quizbowl community, so the reaction to Berry material is largely unknown; we don't even know how well you hit your target difficulty in 2008, because you didn't post stats. The way to enhance one's reputation in the modern game is to release good questions.

Alternatively, you might consider asking an editor with an established reputation in the modern game to help you produce this set. Such an action would almost guarantee that the most competitive and vibrant programs in the SE circuit will return to your tournament, and, if the result is good, it would enhance your reputation nationwide.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Bender Bending Fernandez
Lulu

Post by Bender Bending Fernandez »

What would last year's set prove? Packet submission tournaments will differ depending on the question writing abilities of the teams submitting, and even if the same teams attend, the team composition will be different. The editor may be the same, but even an experienced tournament editor can only do so much.
Rob Fernandez, Maryland
Grand Moff Emeritus, University of South Florida quizbowl
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I think all ACF events, Minnesota Undergrad, Terrapin Invitational, and, well, every other well edited packet submission event disagrees.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I think all ACF events, Minnesota Undergrad, Terrapin Invitational, and, well, every other well edited packet submission event disagrees.
It's also just a show of good faith. Why hide the packets?
Andrew Watkins
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Norman the Lunatic wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I think all ACF events, Minnesota Undergrad, Terrapin Invitational, and, well, every other well edited packet submission event disagrees.
Not to mention good community behavior.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Bender Bending Fernandez
Lulu

Journey to the Planets wrote:
Norman the Lunatic wrote: It's also just a show of good faith. Why hide the packets?
Is it good community behavior to insinuate that there's something to "hide" because the packets aren't online for whatever reason? I don't know why they haven't released the packets, maybe they will, maybe they can't, but I don't see any reason we can't assume good faith if we're going to demand it of others. There's a couple of tournaments that currently only exist as photocopies in my closet. I'm not hiding them, I just don't see any reason to take the time to type them up for the archive.
Rob Fernandez, Maryland
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Bender Bending Fernandez wrote:
Norman the Lunatic wrote: It's also just a show of good faith. Why hide the packets?
Is it good community behavior to insinuate that there's something to "hide" because the packets aren't online for whatever reason? I don't know why they haven't released the packets, maybe they will, maybe they can't, but I don't see any reason we can't assume good faith if we're going to demand it of others. There's a couple of tournaments that currently only exist as photocopies in my closet. I'm not hiding them, I just don't see any reason to take the time to type them up for the archive.
If memory serves, the writers actually try to sell copies of the questions. Given the plethora of good questions available for the cost of free (I make the assumption that any costs relating to a computer, internet connection, and/or printing are sunk), either people who try to sell questions in this manner know a lot of teams who are ignorant of such free sources (and probably the circuit at large), or are not really thinking things through.
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

dtaylor4 wrote:
If memory serves, the writers actually try to sell copies of the questions. Given the plethora of good questions available for the cost of free (I make the assumption that any costs relating to a computer, internet connection, and/or printing are sunk), either people who try to sell questions in this manner know a lot of teams who are ignorant of such free sources (and probably the circuit at large), or are not really thinking things through.
I can't imagine they're making loads of money selling the questions. If the organizers of this tournament were willing to make the questions publicly available (or even to put up a sample packet!) they would probably attract some more teams to their tournament--teams that would otherwise be unwilling to buy a pig in a poke and go to a tournament of unknown question quality. Surely entry fees add up a lot faster than question sales.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
BerryCollegeBowl
Wakka

Norman the Lunatic wrote:

It's not that we're hiding anything. It's just that we don't have a large amount of packets that are ready for archiving at this point. We're currently working to gather packets from past tournaments which we will happily provide in the coming weeks. For six years prior to last year, the Southeastern was non-packet submission. The writers who put together the tournament made a conscious decision to not release those questions for sale or release online. That was their decision, not ours. We recognize that was a colossal mistake, which we are trying to rectify. We also cannot place blame for that decision. The writers in question are former players who have remained extremely loyal to the program, and for that we are eternally grateful. One of the major reasons why the Southeastern is the longest running Undergraduate only tournament in the nation is because of the hard work of the Berry College Bowl alumni.

After nearly 40 years of hosting the Southeastern, we have an enormous amount of material that could be archived. However, we have neither the manpower or the time to do that. If anyone would like to assist us in such a venture, feel free to let us know.

Lastly, this is a worthy discussion. However, it may be better suited for a different area of the board. All we're trying to do is announce the latest edition of a competition that has been around longer than (probably) the majority of the people who use this board. The Southeastern was started when the game was virtually dead in the early 70's. It is a legacy we're proud of, and we will change with the times as needed to keep it going.
Kricket Davis, Coach
Mount Berry, GA
[email protected]
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

After nearly 40 years of hosting the Southeastern, we have an enormous amount of material that could be archived. However, we have neither the manpower or the time to do that. If anyone would like to assist us in such a venture, feel free to let us know
That's reasonable, but since the most recent runs of this tournament is going to be the most useful for evaluating whether this is worth going to and likliest to already be on someone's computer, couldn't you get a start on this by sending what's already on someone's computer off to Christian Carter for posting?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Shockingly in 2009, there are scanners that exist in your college, and the corresponding software that will allow you to scan to Microsoft Word. It still takes time, but just pointing out that there is another option.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Bender Bending Fernandez wrote:Is it good community behavior to insinuate that there's something to "hide" because the packets aren't online for whatever reason? I don't know why they haven't released the packets, maybe they will, maybe they can't, but I don't see any reason we can't assume good faith if we're going to demand it of others. There's a couple of tournaments that currently only exist as photocopies in my closet. I'm not hiding them, I just don't see any reason to take the time to type them up for the archive.
You could scan them.

Edit: Argh ninja'd
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Bender Bending Fernandez
Lulu

nalin wrote:Shockingly in 2009, there are scanners that exist in your college, and the corresponding software that will allow you to scan to Microsoft Word. It still takes time, but just pointing out that there is another option.
I'd never considered it. Not that I don't keep up with new technologies like the "computer" and the "internet", but this is something I've given about zero thought to, aside from occasionally moving that box around. So yes, I have a scanner, or I could put my feet in gear and take my stone car over to campus and use one there. But then I'd have to find the appropriate software. If anyone knows of a free/shareware version of the appropriate software that is painless to use, I'd appreciate a link. I may very well take this opportunity to rid myself of that box in the closet.
Rob Fernandez, Maryland
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

nalin wrote:Shockingly in 2009, there are scanners that exist in your college, and the corresponding software that will allow you to scan to Microsoft Word. It still takes time, but just pointing out that there is another option.
I'd never considered it. Not that I don't keep up with new technologies like the "computer" and the "internet", but this is something I've given about zero thought to, aside from occasionally moving that box around. So yes, I have a scanner, or I could put my feet in gear and take my stone car over to campus and use one there. But then I'd have to find the appropriate software. If anyone knows of a free/shareware version of the appropriate software that is painless to use, I'd appreciate a link. I may very well take this opportunity to rid myself of that box in the closet.
http://www.simpleocr.com/
(For a more direct link: here)
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Bender Bending Fernandez
Lulu

Hilarius Bookbinder wrote:http://www.simpleocr.com/
(For a more direct link: here)
Thank you! Now back to your regularly scheduled tournament announcement.
Rob Fernandez, Maryland
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Bender Bending Fernandez wrote:I'd never considered it. Not that I don't keep up with new technologies like the "computer" and the "internet", but this is something I've given about zero thought to, aside from occasionally moving that box around. So yes, I have a scanner, or I could put my feet in gear and take my stone car over to campus and use one there. But then I'd have to find the appropriate software. If anyone knows of a free/shareware version of the appropriate software that is painless to use, I'd appreciate a link. I may very well take this opportunity to rid myself of that box in the closet.
If there are computers on campus with scanners, they probably have software that can do this.
eldermaas
Wakka

Post by eldermaas »

The Berry College College Bowl Team would like to announce that our 37th Annual Scholar's Bowl/Southeastern will be held on our beautiful Mount Berry, GA campus on November 7, 2009. This will be a packet submission tournament. Fees and packet deadlines will be posted in the coming weeks.
Any more info available on fees and deadlines?
James Washick, sponsor
North Greenville University Quiz Bowl
BerryCollegeBowl
Wakka

Greetings all --

Here is the fee schedule for this year's Early Bird/Southeastern

Base Fee -- $95
Buzzer (working) Discount -- $5
Moderator Discount -- $5
Travel Discount -- $10 / 200 miles traveled
Packet Discount -- $ 10 if packet is received before midnight 10/15.
Packet Fee -- $40 (for teams who need us to provide a packet for them)
Packet Penalty -- $45 (For packets received later than midnight 10/31).
Max Fee -- $140
Min Fee -- $55

Packet Schedule:

All teams who turn in packets by midnight 10/15 will receive a $10 discount. For those teams who will need to have a packet provided for them, there is a $40 fee. We will need to hear from those teams by no later than 10/7. There will be a $45 penalty assessed for those teams who do not submit a packet by midnight 10/31.If a team reserves a spot in the field but does not submit a packet by midnight 11/2, we will assume that you have withdrawn from the field unless other arrangements have been made. We ask that all teams who intend to compete contact us no later than 10/21.

Packet Distribution (in brief):

5/5 History
5/5 Science
5/5 Literature
3/3 Religion/Philosophy
3/3 Fine Arts
2/2 Social Science
1/1 Trash

Please contact us if any clarification is needed.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

BCB
Kricket Davis, Coach
Mount Berry, GA
[email protected]
BerryCollegeBowl
Wakka

Quick Field Update:

AUM
Alabama
Berry
Georgia Perimeter
Shorter
Dalton College

Shown Interest:
North GA College

There's plenty of space still available. Please contact us @ [email protected].
Kricket Davis, Coach
Mount Berry, GA
[email protected]
BerryCollegeBowl
Wakka

Apologies for not posting this sooner. Things have been hectic as of late.

Here's the Final Field update for the 2009 Southeastern:

Alabama
AUM
Berry
Dalton
GPC
Oxford of Emory
Shorter
Wofford

Registration begins at 8am in the Krannert Center Lobby. Rounds will begin between 8:30-9:00. We look forward to seeing all of you there!

Regards,

BCB
Kricket Davis, Coach
Mount Berry, GA
[email protected]
BerryCollegeBowl
Wakka

Congratulations to the University of Alabama for winning the 37th Annual Berry College Early Bird/Southeastern!

The host team took 2nd place while Georgia Perimeter College finished in 3rd.

Full round results and stats can be located @ http://quizbowl.gimranov.com/stats/stat ... erryse2009.

We look forward to an even more successful event in 2010!

Regards,

BCB
Kricket Davis, Coach
Mount Berry, GA
[email protected]
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

So, is Berry planning to release the questions that were used at this tournament?
Quinn James
Furman University '10
BerryCollegeBowl
Wakka

We're working on it.
Kricket Davis, Coach
Mount Berry, GA
[email protected]