ACF Fall Mid-Atlantic at VCU (Richmond) - October 31, 2009

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

ACF Fall Mid-Atlantic at VCU (Richmond) - October 31, 2009

Post by Matt Weiner »

The Mid-Atlantic site for ACF Fall 2009 will be held at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond on Saturday, October 31.

To register, mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. I will not count posts in this thread as official registrations; you must e-mail me.

PACKETS/PRICES: The ACF guidelines on packet submission apply--teams with players in their third or greater year of mainstream quizbowl must write packets in order to participate. Submit all packets to Gautam Kandlikar as directed at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7881. The standard ACF fee schedule also applies, with a base fee of $120 per team, and substantial discounts available for early submission of packets or bringing buzzers and staff to the tournament. Teams who have not played ACF recently get a $25 discount, and teams who have not played any mainstream quizbowl prior to this year get a $100 discount.

LOCATION/DIRECTIONS: The tournament will take place on VCU's Monroe Park campus (aka "Academic Campus") in Hibbs Hall. Meet in the morning in room 440. Directions to Hibbs are in this below post: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 45#p154145

PARKING: On weekends, parking on the street is free and available in most places around the campus.

TIMES: Registration will run from 8:15 to 8:45, with the goal of starting Round 1 as soon as possible after 8:45.

FORMAT: Each team will play at least 12 games, and the tournament will end with ACF-format finals. The specific format will be determined once the field size is known. Games will be played under the official ACF rules. The highest-finishing all-undergraduate and all-Division II teams will receive recognition according to the ACF policy on eligibility for Undergraduate and Division II status.

PAYMENT: All teams must pay on Saturday morning, in one of two forms: cash, or a personal or institutional check made out to "Quizbowl at VCU". Do not make checks out to Matt Weiner, to Andrew Alexander, to "quizbowl" alone, to "VCU Quizbowl", or to any other person or entity besides "Quizbowl at VCU." If you need an invoice ahead of time so that your sponsor can cut a check, let me know. Otherwise, all teams will receive invoices at the tournament.

Post here or mail me if you have any further questions about the tournament itself, travel strategies, or so forth. This is our third consecutive year hosting ACF Fall for the region, and we hope to see every team there and build on past success with this tournament.

--Matt Weiner, tournament director, ACF Fall Mid-Atlantic
[email protected]

Teams so far (to be edited as registrations come in):

Carnegie Mellon
Duke A
Duke B
George Mason
Loyola-MD
Maggie Walker HS
Maryland A
Maryland B
Maryland C
North Carolina Wesleyan A
North Carolina Wesleyan B
Penn State A
Penn State B
St. Anselm's HS
State College HS A
State College HS B
Virginia
William & Mary
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: ACF Fall Mid-Atlantic at VCU (Richmond) - October 31, 2009

Post by DumbJaques »

Maryland will be there with at least two teams, hopefully more.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

After previously expressing interest, due to my schedule I'm hesitant to say I'll be able to make this and/or submit a full packet on my own.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Unless the reservations office completely screws us over the tournament will be here: http://tinyurl.com/hibbshall

copied from a previous VCU thread:

-The nominal address of the building is "900 Park Ave, Richmond VA" if you need to put something into your map software of choice, but be aware that Hibbs does not actually face the street, so you will have to park and then walk to the area where the building is in order to find it. I suggest printing out the appropriate campus maps and bringing them along--note that Hibbs is directly across from the Cabell Library, which will probably be easier for you to find if you have not been to the VCU campus before.
-It is almost certain that the one and only door to Hibbs which will be unlocked for the weekend is the door on the north (interior) side of the vestibule that is on the library side of the building. We will endeavor to have signs up that point you to this door.
-On Saturdays, parking on the street is free and available in most places around the campus; the best place to park for access to Hibbs is on one of the residential streets such as Park Avenue, Floyd Avenue, or West Avenue that branch off Harrison Street to the west near the Hibbs/library area. If you cannot find a space in that area, then you can try parking on Floyd Avenue near the Commons, or, further south, on Main Street. If all else fails, you should use the parking deck at Harrison and Broad, which is about three blocks north of the tournament building and will charge you somewhere between zero and five dollars to park all day on a Saturday.
-We won't be providing breakfast. There are 7-11s along Harrison at both the Main Street and Grace Street intersections, which are three blocks south and north of the tournament building respectively. If you prefer to sit down and/or eat hot food, the Village Cafe at Harrison and Grace is open for breakfast.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

There might be a Whitman team and there just might be a Whitman packet.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Considering our packet is now submitted, I'd say our registration is probably imminent.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

You can put George Mason down for 1 team, and our packet will probably be in before the October 10th deadline. Would we get any discount since our team is considered by ACF as a "newer team" and since we don't have to write a packet if we didn't want to?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

The Mountie wrote:You can put George Mason down for 1 team, and our packet will probably be in before the October 10th deadline. Would we get any discount since our team is considered by ACF as a "newer team" and since we don't have to write a packet if we didn't want to?
The standard -25 for teams who submit non-required packets by the regular deadline.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

1 more question. Considering each team is gonna get the ACF minimum number of rounds (12 rounds?), what time is this event expected to end? A few people want to get back to Fairfax by a certain time.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Last year we did 13 rounds and a final and were done a little after 6.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

CMU is coming to this tournament with 1-2 teams.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Since I've talked about going to this before, I have to announce that I will not be able to make it. Sorry.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Will be there with a DII team, two buzzers, and a staffer.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Can I get e-mail registrations from CMU and W&M, as well as more clarification as to whether Whitman is coming? This will help me keep you all up to date on tournament location info and stuff. Thanks.
Matt Weiner
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

I believe a Penn contingent is tentatively planning on playing at this site. Contact is Sid (desiloyalty-at-yahoo.com).
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

PN News wrote:Unless the reservations office completely screws us over the tournament will be here: http://tinyurl.com/hibbshall

copied from a previous VCU thread:

-The nominal address of the building is "900 Park Ave, Richmond VA" if you need to put something into your map software of choice, but be aware that Hibbs does not actually face the street, so you will have to park and then walk to the area where the building is in order to find it. I suggest printing out the appropriate campus maps and bringing them along--note that Hibbs is directly across from the Cabell Library, which will probably be easier for you to find if you have not been to the VCU campus before.
-It is almost certain that the one and only door to Hibbs which will be unlocked for the weekend is the door on the north (interior) side of the vestibule that is on the library side of the building. We will endeavor to have signs up that point you to this door.
-On Saturdays, parking on the street is free and available in most places around the campus; the best place to park for access to Hibbs is on one of the residential streets such as Park Avenue, Floyd Avenue, or West Avenue that branch off Harrison Street to the west near the Hibbs/library area. If you cannot find a space in that area, then you can try parking on Floyd Avenue near the Commons, or, further south, on Main Street. If all else fails, you should use the parking deck at Harrison and Broad, which is about three blocks north of the tournament building and will charge you somewhere between zero and five dollars to park all day on a Saturday.
-We won't be providing breakfast. There are 7-11s along Harrison at both the Main Street and Grace Street intersections, which are three blocks south and north of the tournament building respectively. If you prefer to sit down and/or eat hot food, the Village Cafe at Harrison and Grace is open for breakfast.
The location of the tournament has been confirmed as Hibbs. We will be meeting in room 440 between 8:15 and 8:45.

Here is how to get to the actual building rather than the parking garage that the VCU website sends you to:

--Get off on exit 76B if coming from the north or west. Turn left at the light at the end of the ramp, putting you on Leigh St. The next intersection will have two different streets running very close to each other than you can turn right onto; turn right onto the second/larger street, Belvidere St. Continue on Belvidere until you reach Broad Street, and take a right. Continue on Broad until you reach Harrison, and turn left. After three blocks traveling south on Harrison, you will pass a statue on your left; the building is located in that area. Turn right from here and park on a residential street, or turn left and park in the loop near the library.

--If coming from the south or east, take exit 76A, then turn left onto Chamberlayne Parkway/Avenue. Moving south on Chamberlayne, it will become Adams St as you cross Leigh. Continue on Adams until you reach Broad Street, and turn right onto Broad. Continue on Broad until you reach Harrison, and turn left. After three blocks traveling south on Harrison, you will pass a statue on your left; the building is located in that area. Turn right from here and park on a residential street, or turn left and park in the loop near the library.
Matt Weiner
at your pleasure
Auron

The biggest issue for other Whitman people is the drive, so we'll probably officially decide Monday.
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Right now Maryland is looking at 3-4 teams, rather than 2, but I'll try to and lock that down in the next few weeks, and send a complete buzzer/team/reader email.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Brinkley S.
Kimahri

Post by Brinkley S. »

Possibly off-topic, slightly ridiculous suggestion, but is anyone else up for playing in costume? It is Halloween, after all, and I have a feeling that Quizbowlers are good at costumes.
Last edited by Brinkley S. on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brinkley Sharpe, University of Virginia
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Brinkley S. wrote:Possibly off-topic, slightly ridiculous suggestion, but is anyone else up for playing in costume? It is Halloween, after all, and I have a feeling that Quizbowlers are good at costumes.
If you can convince Will Butler to play in costume, you will have earned my eternal respect.
Mehdi Razvi

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
The 2007 San Diego Padres
Lulu

Post by The 2007 San Diego Padres »

Brinkley S. wrote:Possibly off-topic, slightly ridiculous suggestion, but is anyone else up for playing in costume? It is Halloween, after all, and I have a feeling that Quizbowlers are good at costumes.
NO DON'T
The 2007 San Diego Padres
"How do I held lead?"
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

I would be open to dressing as academic things that come up in quizbowl, or even pulling a Harvard.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Brinkley S.
Kimahri

Post by Brinkley S. »

Lapego1 wrote:If you can convince Will Butler to play in costume, you will have earned my eternal respect.
Will didn't seem incredibly fond of the idea, but we'll see. Maybe I can finagle some sort of silly hat wearing out of him.
Brinkley Sharpe, University of Virginia
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I suppose that you are all adults (except those of you who are not?) and I can't stop anyone from doing anything, so I'll just note the following guidelines on costumes, as TD of this event:

*The reason I am generally opposed to such ideas is because the last time I ran a tournament on Halloween and encouraged costumes, someone came dressed as Hitler. If you do something like that, I will send you home. This also applies to costumes that include real or fake weapons, since I would rather not delay the tournament while I explain to the campus police that the bloody knife on your belt is actually plastic.
*Similarly, there will be high school teams, high school coaches, and people who are not high school teams or coaches but have general senses of propriety, like me, at this tournament. So, don't wear your fetish gear (this includes animal costumes) to this tournament.
*Things that prevent you from arriving at the tournament on time, easily moving between game rooms, hearing the questions, holding the buzzer, and so on, will garner no sympathy from me, and I will make you alter your outfit if it impedes the efficient operation of the tournament.
*Again, I'd really prefer that people did not wear costumes, but if you're going to do it, follow the above guidelines and I'll look the other way.
Matt Weiner
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Matt Weiner wrote:So, don't wear your fetish gear (this includes animal costumes) to this tournament.
Not a warning one really wants to have to give!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
at your pleasure
Auron

Matt Weiner wrote:I suppose that you are all adults (except those of you who are not?) and I can't stop anyone from doing anything, so I'll just note the following guidelines on costumes, as TD of this event:

**Similarly, there will be high school teams, high school coaches, and people who are not high school teams or coaches but have general senses of propriety, like me, at this tournament. So, don't wear your fetish gear (this includes animal costumes) at public events in general.
fixed.

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We have 19 registered and four more on the possible list. This will be VCU's largest-ever college tournament, which, in addition to being awesome, means several things:

1) Given that we only have ten rooms available, the field will be closed at 21 teams; further registrations will be waitlisted until we figure out a schedule with weird byes or find more rooms.
2) Volunteer staffers are our new favorite people. We will reimburse your gas, lunch, and dinner if you come to read at this tournament. Richmond is a fun city, especially on a Saturday night, so consider this a good chance for DC-area people to visit on us. We currently have exactly enough people to read and run stats for this tournament, and would rather have more so that we can have a TD who is not moderating and some scorekeepers to help move things along.
3) Teams who can bring staffers, please consider doing so for the discount. High school teams, I know you have coaches. College teams, I know you have alumni. Every little bit helps and will be very appreciated.
Matt Weiner
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Penn won't be attending.
Mehdi Razvi

-James D. Watson (1928-)
at your pleasure
Auron

Neither will Whitman.

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The field has stabilized at 18 teams. The format will be a preliminary two-bracket round robin over 9 games, followed by division into three brackets of 6 (teams 1-3 from each prelim bracket will go to top playoff group, 4-6 to middle, 7-9 to bottom). In line with last year's tournament, which ran 13 rounds and ended around 6 PM, we expect to finish this 14-round schedule at a similarly reasonable hour in the early evening.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

A team has dropped. If anyone was vacillating about adding another team to their contingent, we can still accommodate you, obviously contingent on having met eligibility/writing requirements if applicable.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Matt Weiner
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

It's exciting to follow these stats. Looking forward to the Maggie Walker/State College match.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Stats through round 8 are at http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings . After round 9 we'll rebracket into 5 rounds of playoffs.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The Round 7 Maryland A-State College A game has been thrown into a tie by a delayed protest ruling and is now being reseated for sudden death. Once that's done we'll have full prelim standings and playoff seeds.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Final prelim stats are at http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings. I'm waiting for one more round 10 game before I post results from the first playoff round, which will also show playoff brackets.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Here's the standings of the first two playoff rounds, with three to go. http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Matt Weiner
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

The brackets seemed pretty unbalanced... lots of 20+ppb in one and only two of them in the other.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:The brackets seemed pretty unbalanced... lots of 20+ppb in one and only two of them in the other.
The teams are divided to just play within their own bracket from what I can tell. The good bonus conversion in the first bracket is because it contains the top six teams.

Edit: I'm an idiot!
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Precious Roy wrote:
Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:The brackets seemed pretty unbalanced... lots of 20+ppb in one and only two of them in the other.
The teams are divided to just play within their own bracket from what I can tell. The good bonus conversion in the first bracket is because it contains the top six teams.
I think he means the prelim brackets.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

t-bar wrote:
Precious Roy wrote:
I think he means the prelim brackets.
Yeah I saw that right after I posted. I'm not good with tenses.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Following a huge delay caused by a moderator wandering off, round 12 was successfully completed and here are the stats with 2 playoff games left to go. http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Round 13 scoresheets are still coming in, but we've confirmed that State College A and Maggie Walker are both undefeated heading into their last playoff game with each other. The winner will gain the advantage in the best-of-three final, which will be for all three (3) trophies.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

State College wins 510-150 and will hold the advantage in the final, starting ASAP.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Here's full playoff stats. Final starting right now. http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Matt Weiner
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

350-325 sc wins
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

State College wins the first finals game 350-325. The tournament is over.
Matt Weiner
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Matt Weiner wrote:State College wins the first finals game 350-325. The tournament is over.
Out of curiosity, on which packet was the final played?
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

This tournament, despite being severely delayed at several junctures, was nonetheless highly enjoyable. Many thanks to the VCU staff for running this. Questions, when they were actually being asked, were well-written and and speedily read.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Congrats to State College, who obviously still have mad skills at the whole quizbowl thing.

I'm actually kind of shocked that Maggie Walker and State College High School have now played each other twice, in two finals - of college tournaments, defeating veteran college teams on their way there. What, if anything, can the rest of us mere high-schoolers do to avoid getting crushed? Cower in fear? Study even harder?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF