CC Predictions 09-10

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

CC Predictions 09-10

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

In the CC world, NE Alabama does indeed return its top player, Casey, or at least that's what he was telling me in April. That and George's moving on makes them the team to beat, I think. Chipola loses its top four but returns a hard-practicing bunch of guys led by wildly posting Ethan. My Valencia team gets back three of its top four and will be beaten relentlessly toward improvement twice a week. As always, good times are in the offing for all.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Re: 09-10 College Quizbowl Prediction Thread

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:In the CC world, NE Alabama does indeed return its top player, Casey, or at least that's what he was telling me in April. That and George's moving on makes them the team to beat, I think. Chipola loses its top four but returns a hard-practicing bunch of guys led by wildly posting Ethan. My Valencia team gets back three of its top four and will be beaten relentlessly toward improvement twice a week. As always, good times are in the offing for all.
Casey is returning, according to every communication this summer. Also, Snead State is returning Mark Morris, which makes them an automatic threat. Jessica Collins of North Florida has moved on, as well as their second leading scorer. According to an earlier post, Robert Slade of GPC has graduated, leaving them without the second highest scorer at CCCT. From what I understand, Chris Regner from Broward has also graduated, leaving them without the third overall scorer at CCCT. I am not making any predictions, I will leave all of that to Borglum, but I will try and put as much information out there as I can.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:
ValenciaQBowl wrote:In the CC world, NE Alabama does indeed return its top player, Casey, or at least that's what he was telling me in April. That and George's moving on makes them the team to beat, I think. Chipola loses its top four but returns a hard-practicing bunch of guys led by wildly posting Ethan. My Valencia team gets back three of its top four and will be beaten relentlessly toward improvement twice a week. As always, good times are in the offing for all.
Casey is returning, according to every communication this summer. Also, Snead State is returning Mark Morris, which makes them an automatic threat. Jessica Collins of North Florida has moved on, as well as their second leading scorer. According to an earlier post, Robert Slade of GPC has graduated, leaving them without the second highest scorer at CCCT. From what I understand, Chris Regner from Broward has also graduated, leaving them without the third overall scorer at CCCT. I am not making any predictions, I will leave all of that to Borglum, but I will try and put as much information out there as I can.

Any idea on where these people are going? Slade is definitely a legit player who can add to a team as needed, and Regner and Collins lived up to hype at CCCT.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

They're CC players, so they will simply disappear. George, you're going to be the exception, I hope, barring the pull of assistant managership at Friendly's.
Chris Borglum
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Frater Taciturnus wrote:

Any idea on where these people are going? Slade is definitely a legit player who can add to a team as needed, and Regner and Collins lived up to hype at CCCT.
From what I understand (and don't quote me on this) Jessica is trying to finish up her AA at NFCC. Apparently she has like 1 or 2 classes or something. Any update on the likelihood of you returning George?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Re: CC Predictions 09-10

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

Nice to see one of these threads starting. I can't really comment on the Florida teams but I'm sure the juggernauts of Valencia and Chipola will always be good.

As for Alabama, we at Snead actually went from only having 2 people to now having a full team (Miracle) and I think this years team will be more competitive than we were last year. We have 2 new teammates, one who is a future chemistry major so maybe our science knowledge won't totally blow if it's non-Biology. Our other player is a Brindlee Mountain alum and former Berry player, Amanda Hardin. If she can get on a hot streak, things will get very very interesting. Northeast is the consensus team to beat in Alabama, only getting beaten twice by any other ACBL team last year. Other up-and-coming teams: Faulkner is usually good and they return Russell; Jeff State returns all their starters and were the only ACBL team besides us to beat Northeast last year; aside from that Bevill-Jasper loses their A-Team and some of B-Team and I'm uncertain as to who all Northwest Shoals lost/is returning.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Thanks for that info, Mark. I'm sorry for leaving y'all off my original (off the top of my head) list. Now with teammates, I'm sure you guys will be even stronger.

Try to convince your coach to bring you down for Delta Burke on Nov. 13 and 14; it would be nice to get the top teams together before CCCT.
Chris Borglum
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

I would really love to play Delta Burke. We start back Wednesday and I'll see if I can't talk him into it. Ethan was telling me that Chipola was considering a mirror, which in the event would be more accessible to me because I'll be down in the mobile area some touring my future stomping grounds at South Alabama, and Chipola isn't too bad a drive from there, but who knows money will more than likely be tight. However if Chipola does do a mirror I may end up playing solo (and probably getting my butt kicked) unless the rest of the team would be able to drive down, but we'll just have to see what happens.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Chipola's coach, Stan Young, has decided (in concert with his team, I believe) that they'd prefer to come down to Orlando and play us and Broward and all. I originally liked the idea of mirroring, but now I'm back to thinking it's better to have a really big and tough tournament field here, though indeed that makes it tougher on 'Bama teams. I'll eliminate registration fees for any 'Bama teams that come, but of course the real cost is in the travel. Good luck!
Chris Borglum
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Well if we could somehow raise money or something it's possible we could attend, I'll just have to talk to Mr. Scott and see if we can't work something up
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
CaseRAR
Lulu

Post by CaseRAR »

I'm a little late to post to this thread, but it's better than never I guess. The ACBL will definitely be a little more interesting this year since Amanda is going to be playing with Snead. It's nice to see that Valencia is going to be returning most of their team, and from what I saw of Chipola's team at the HSNCT mirror, they will also be a strong force this year as well. Jeff State and Faulkner are both returning their top scorers, so they could definitely pull some upsets this year. Also from the pattern that I've seen develop through years, even though they are rebuilding, Jasper will also have a strong team.

I don't mean to sound too vague here, but I think the two state championships are going to come down to NACC vs. Snead for Alabama, and Chipola vs. Valencia for the Florida. From what I've seen out of these teams, on any given set of questions either of these teams could win a national title.

PS: Cord, Tyler, and I are all returning for the 09-10 season. Just thought I'd clear that up.
Casey Lowery,
Northeast Alabama Community College
Brindlee Mountain High School '08
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

CaseRAR wrote: from what I saw of Chipola's team at the HSNCT mirror

That team consisted of Mr. Young, Jantzen Whitehead, myself and Dallin Kelson. So basically we had 3 competent players who are all good at lit and Mr. Young, who we are still trying to find a use for.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

CaseRAR wrote:
PS: Cord, Tyler, and I are all returning for the 09-10 season. Just thought I'd clear that up.

That's all I need to hear to pick Northeast Alabama to at least make the finals and take on either Chipola or Valencia, all of which have serious claims to the championship, with Snead just a half-step behind at the moment.

I'll say NEAL 285- Chipola 210 for now.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

PN News wrote:
CaseRAR wrote:

That's all I need to hear to pick Northeast Alabama to at least make the finals and take on either Chipola or Valencia, all of which have serious claims to the championship, with Snead just a half-step behind at the moment.

As biased as I am towards Snead I have to agree with George on that assumption. Does this mean you are for sure out of the CC scene George? I think I read earlier in some topic that you might still be taking spring classes at JSR
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Mark wrote:
PN News wrote:
CaseRAR wrote:

As biased as I am towards Snead I have to agree with George on that assumption. Does this mean you are for sure out of the CC scene George? I think I read earlier in some topic that you might still be taking spring classes at JSR
I might still take those classes but I am out of the picture.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Ahhh ok I see. The top 6 should definitely be interesting this year then.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Well now I can take George Berry off of my Quizbowl hit list.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

I hope we can make it back to the finals this year, George, but we lost our whole team that made it to that game against you last year. And, even though Ethan showed some promise off our Blue Team, he hasn't really improved this year... so we will see. Maybe the other three guys can pull him through if he even makes the team this year. Based on Mark's performance in Chattanooga this summer, I would say Snead State is looking good and I know Casey will be ready to lead Northeast. Borglum will have Valencia ready to make a run as well.
Stan Young, Chipola College
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

sychipola wrote:I don't know what I would do without Ethan.
I am glad you feel that way Mr. Young.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

We ain't a skeered a you'ns!!!

Looks like we'll have half of our Red team back (Nolan and Muto). If I can beat Andrew "I fear no neg" Levin into buzzer docility, we'll be ready to compete with y'all. Science is going to be our achilles heel this year, but we'll totally dominate in questions on Prokop the Great and Ultraquism in general.

I'm glad NE plans to come to Delta Burke; we can get a good sense of who's where then. Mark, keep working on your coach to bring y'all down here. And get Bobo to bring Bevill, too.
Chris Borglum
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Protip: more quizbowl studying, less hsquizbowl posting.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

ValenciaQBowl wrote:
I'm glad NE plans to come to Delta Burke; we can get a good sense of who's where then. Mark, keep working on your coach to bring y'all down here. And get Bobo to bring Bevill, too.
It isn't looking good for us. I don't think we have the funds to buy plane tickets and I don't think Mr. Scott would want to make the drive himself. I suppose there may be a possibility next year. I wish Huntsville airport still had those $99 Orlando flights
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

wd4gdz wrote:
Even on SUNDAYS? :w-hat:

Don't worry Borglum, no one has forgotten about the power of Valencia. It is going to be interesting to see how we stack up against Snead and Northeast at Faulkner and then we get to see how we will play against Valencia and the Florida scene at Delta Burke.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

wd4gdz wrote:

Don't worry Borglum, no one has forgotten about the power of Valencia. It is going to be interesting to see how we stack up against Snead and Northeast at Faulkner and then we get to see how we will play against Valencia and the Florida scene at Delta Burke.
I don't want to disappoint you too much, but Snead won't be playing its full team at Faulkner, but we should still be decently good.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Who will be playing for you guys at Faulkner Mark?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:Who will be playing for you guys at Faulkner Mark?
I'm going to pull an Eric Mangini and let us surprise you haha
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Mark wrote:
TheLessFamousEthan wrote:Who will be playing for you guys at Faulkner Mark?
I'm going to pull an Eric Mangini and let us surprise you haha
Haha well if you are playing then that lets everyone know you guys are going to be legit.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=9&p=150361#p150361 . Careful about telling other people how to post; you've got a history with this sort of thing.

Rob

HAHAHA!
wd4gdz wrote:

Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Hey, moderating decisions aren't up for discussion on this board; instead, use e-mail. I'm sorry I failed to keep up on our last e-mail conversation about this sort of thing, but I'm going to need you to stop cluttering up threads with this sort of posting right now, or I will ban you.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
CaseRAR
Lulu

Post by CaseRAR »

I hate to go all "Adam Schefter" on "Eric Mangini", but my inside sources are telling me that Mark Morris is planning to sit out the fall semester.
Casey Lowery,
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

CaseRAR wrote:I hate to go all "Adam Schefter" on "Eric Mangini", but my inside sources are telling me that Mark Morris is planning to sit out the fall semester.
I love this reference. :cool:
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
CaseRAR
Lulu

Post by CaseRAR »

I'm just glad someone could appreciate it.
Casey Lowery,
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Any update on who is going to be playing at Faulkner in two weeks?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
CaseRAR
Lulu

Post by CaseRAR »

I'm pretty sure that we are bringing two teams.
Casey Lowery,
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Ehh I suppose since I won't be playing tomorrow I'll make some predictions

1st- NEACC in a close game against Chipola
2nd-Chipola
3rd-Snead
4th-Jeff State

Although I did put Snead as finishing 3rd I wouldn't be surprised if they upset either Chipola or Northeast (or even both!) If they get hot they are definitely capable of doing so.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Mark wrote:Ehh I suppose since I won't be playing tomorrow I'll make some predictions

1st- NEACC in a close game against Chipola
2nd-Chipola
3rd-Snead
4th-Jeff State

Although I did put Snead as finishing 3rd I wouldn't be surprised if they upset either Chipola or Northeast (or even both!) If they get hot they are definitely capable of doing so.
Figured I could update this, as it is now concrete.

1st - Northeast Alabama CC - Behind the strong play of Cord an Casey, they finished the tournament at 10-0 and had the best stats. As predicted, they beat us in a close match and it pretty much boiled down to a one tossup difference.
2nd - Chipola Blue - Again as predicted, Snead upset us (without Mark Morris) in the preliminary round. Finished at 8-2.
3rd - Chipola Gold - Lead by the leading scorer Dallin Kelson, they finished with 2 wins over Snead and a close match to Northeast. Finished at 8-2, but lost on the tiebreaker (PPB or PPR I presume) to Chipola Gold.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Congrats to NE Alabama for that win.

In other news, I just found out after Thunder that Nolan Bensen, my Red captain, is now unlikely to be at Valencia in spring (it could happen, but we're not betting on it). We already knew Mercedes would be gone, too. So only two of the players from Red as it will be composed at Delta Burke will be available in spring, putting a serious dent in our national aspirations.

But in the meantime, we'll treat Delta Burke like our nationals!
Chris Borglum
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Regretfully I was unable to attend Faulkner but I must say I am proud of Snead for doing as well as they did. I hear the Chipola A (Idk if it was letters or colors) round came down to the final toss-up which our new science guy answered. Nationals should certainly be interesting though, Robert Slade caught fire in the final playoff round at THUNDER and played like I had never seen him play before, so GPC shouldn't be counted out. Although I honestly thought Slade had graduated based on something I had read in a different post somewhere on the board.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Mark wrote:Regretfully I was unable to attend Faulkner but I must say I am proud of Snead for doing as well as they did. I hear the Chipola A (Idk if it was letters or colors) round came down to the final toss-up which our new science guy answered. Nationals should certainly be interesting though, Robert Slade caught fire in the final playoff round at THUNDER and played like I had never seen him play before, so GPC shouldn't be counted out. Although I honestly thought Slade had graduated based on something I had read in a different post somewhere on the board.
Yeah, I think the eligibilty requirements are different for THUNDER than they are for NAQT. One of his teammates definitely said he was gone, but who knows? Robert Slade does of course.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Yeah, we had asked him if he planned on being at Nationals this year and he said yeah if they make it. He said he just "does a semester here and there" but this will be his swan song in the CC division regardless because this will be his 3rd year I believe.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I heard that Cord actually outscored Casey at the last tournament.

We (Brindlee Mountain) are going to Northeast tomorrow for an all-day scrimmage/practice session with their team. I'm looking forward to seeing just how good they have gotten.

Also, I just wanted to say how proud I am of the various Brindlee Mountain alumni that are doing so well in college quiz bowl. I love you guys and miss you all terribly. Good luck this year.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

quizbowllee wrote:I heard that Cord actually outscored Casey at the last tournament.

We (Brindlee Mountain) are going to Northeast tomorrow for an all-day scrimmage/practice session with their team. I'm looking forward to seeing just how good they have gotten.

Also, I just wanted to say how proud I am of the various Brindlee Mountain alumni that are doing so well in college quiz bowl. I love you guys and miss you all terribly. Good luck this year.
You guys should totally come play/scrimmage us one day
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Mark wrote:
You guys should totally come play/scrimmage us one day
You need only invite us. We will be there.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

I will send Mr. Scott an e-mail promptly
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Posting from Northeast:

Brindlee Mountain just beat Casey and Cord on a HSNCT packet.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

quizbowllee wrote:Posting from Northeast:

Brindlee Mountain just beat Casey and Cord on a HSNCT packet.
They have exacted their vengance a few times since then...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Well after Delta Burke the CC scene is thriving. Chipola is definitely doing well as expected, as is Valencia and Northeast. At the Jasper mirror I learned that Faulkner State and Jeff State are teams very capable of some type of upsetting anyone at any time. I believe there's still a mirror going, but I would like to thank Chris for Delta Burke and say that it was a very fun experience.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Certainly Chipola has made a statement about its desire to get a long-awaited CC national title this spring. Their Blue team and NE Alabama and Valencia were significantly better than the rest of the CC field at Delta Burke, though NE did lose a RR game to a surprising Seminole CC team which has a strong new player.

Unfortunately for us, Valencia loses two starters, Nolan and Mercedes, for spring, so we'll have to coach up some of our newer players. But on the plus side, our new player Chip, who, like me, graduated way back in 1986 (!), was promising in his first QB tournament, and we had a 50+-year-old guy show up on Friday before the tournament to ask about what the game is, and after some cajoling, I got him to agree to just jump into the matches on our Gold team without ever having even seen or heard a question. He ended up getting 11 toss-ups in 11 rounds and is clearly now addicted. That's a good example of why I love our circuit: we get these kinds of unusual college students who are fired up about learning stuff and being part of a team with these whippersnappers.

Mark, feel free to e-mail me directly with any comments about the set--I'm assuming you heard it in Bevill. And of course, that goes for anyone else who heard it and has comments.
Chris Borglum
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Alright I'll try to get to that soon. On an unrelated note, what is the next tournament for all the Florida teams? We have 1 more tournament left in the semester then Sectionals the first of next semester.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

The fall term appears to be over in Florida, as far as I can tell. Probably the next tournament will be CC SCTs and then ACF Winter in January.

PS--I can't wait till NAQT tells us where the CC SCTs and CT are going to be. This sentiment seems much shared among people who were at DB yesterday.
Chris Borglum