Dunbar Academic Fall Tournament (10/24/09) (NSC Qualifier)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Huang
Rikku

Dunbar Academic Fall Tournament (10/24/09) (NSC Qualifier)

Post by Huang »

Paul Laurence Dunbar High School in Lexington, Kentucky, will be hosting the first Dunbar Academic Fall Tournament on October 24th, 2009. This tournament is a PACE NSC qualifier so the top four teams at this tournament will qualify for nationals since our field will consist of 20 teams. If more teams sign up, more teams will be able to qualify for PACE NSC. If you would like to register for DAFT, just send an email with "DAFT" in the subject line to my email address (it's at the end of the post). If your team would like to just express interest in attending this tournament, please let me know about that also. List how many teams and how many buzzers you will be bringing.

Questions

Each round will consist of 20/20 pyramidal 7 line tossups with three part bonuses

Sample Questions: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5759&p=141944#p141944

Format

Tossup/bonuses with neg 5’s, no powers, and no bouncebacks

Bracketed round robin format in both the morning and afternoon rounds

We intend to use 5 packets in the morning and 5 packets in the afternoon which should guarantee every team at least 10 rounds

Fee Structure

Base fee: $70 for the first team and $50 dollars for any subsequent teams from the same school.

Buzzers: Each school should bring at least one working buzzer system if possible. Each additional working buzzer system will result in a discount of $5. The number of times a school can qualify for the buzzer discount will equal the number of teams it brings. Each team from a school will have a maximum buzzer discount of $5.

Travel: -$10 for every 200 miles traveled by a team one way according to Google Maps (no rounding up). This means if School X brings 10 teams then all 10 teams will receive the travel discount. We encourage out of state teams, especially those in Ohio, Tennessee, West Virginia, Indiana, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas, to make the trip to Lexington. I know Michigan teams could make the trip to Lexington since I know I’ve seen DCC teams at Russell tournaments.

Mirrors

Please let me know if you would like to mirror this tournament (email below). Regions with blanks obviously indicate the lack of a mirror so far. We’re open to multiple mirrors in various regions as long as they’re not in close proximity. Mirror fees will be $10 per team attending a mirror. Questions will be ready for use by October 1st. Mirrors with questions marks are in various stages of being officially confirmed.

Northwest

West

Southwest

Midwest
Liberty in Kansas City, Missouri (October 31st, 2009)
Loyola Academy in Chicago, Illinois (October 17th, 2009)

North

New England
Bergen County Academy in Hackensack, New Jersey (December 5th, 2009)

Mid-Atlantic
Thomas Jefferson in Fairfax, Virginia (October 17th, 2009)

Florida

Field - 19 teams and 13 buzzers (Dunbar has 3 working buzzers)

Danville Bate (2) - 1 buzzer - $120 fee
Detroit Catholic Central (2) - 2 buzzers - $90 fee
Grayson County (3) - 1 buzzer - $170 fee
Madisonville North Hopkins (1) - 2 buzzers - $65 fee
Paintsville (3) - 1 buzzer - $120 fee
Pike County Central (2) - 1 buzzer - $120 fee
Portland (1) - 1 buzzer - $60 fee
Woodford County (5) - 1 buzzer - $270 fee

Any questions regarding DAFT?
TD contact below

Edit 1:
I'm an idiot. If you would like to register for DAFT, just send an email with "DAFT" in the subject line to my email address. List how many teams and how many buzzers you will be bringing. (I'll copy paste this part to the top of the post)

Edit 2:
Mirror fees will be $10 per team attending a mirror (I'll copy paste this part to the "Mirror" section of the announcement)

Edit 3:
I've been notified by Fred Morlan that this tournament is now a PACE NSC qualifier. (Copied and pasted to the top of the post)
Last edited by Huang on Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 82 times in total.
Sandy
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: Dunbar Academic Fall Tournament (10/24/09)

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Huang wrote:Buzzers: Each school must bring at least one working buzzer system.
so,I know that most of the time I was in high school my team didn't have a working buzzer. And I really don't think that is an isolated phenomenon. I really don't think it is fair to tell teams that don't have working buzzers that they cannot play a tournament.

Also, what size font are these 7 line tossups of which you speak?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
Huang wrote:Buzzers: Each school must bring at least one working buzzer system.
so,I know that most of the time I was in high school my team didn't have a working buzzer. And I really don't think that is an isolated phenomenon. I really don't think it is fair to tell teams that don't have working buzzers that they cannot play a tournament.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention this. If schools really don't have a working buzzer system, that's perfectly fine. Otherwise, schools should bring at least one working buzzer.
Frater Taciturnus wrote: Also, what size font are these 7 line tossups of which you speak?
Times New Roman 12 point font
Sandy
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Huang wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote: Also, what size font are these 7 line tossups of which you speak?
Times New Roman 12 point font
That's really long (longer than i think you think). I hope you're prepared for 45-minute-long matches!
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew wrote:That's really long (longer than i think you think). I hope you're prepared for 45-minute-long matches!
No, that's not very long at all, and many people can read matches of that length in 30 minutes comfortably or far less time if they hustle. Why encourage people to be defeatist about keeping their tournaments on time?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew wrote: That's really long (longer than i think you think). I hope you're prepared for 45-minute-long matches!
Well it would meet ACF Fall's TNR 10 point font hard line cap of 6 lines. I believe NSC uses a TNR 12 point font hard line cap of 7 lines.
Sandy
Auron

Matt Weiner wrote:
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew wrote:That's really long (longer than i think you think). I hope you're prepared for 45-minute-long matches!
No, that's not very long at all, and many people can read matches of that length in 30 minutes comfortably or far less time if they hustle. Why encourage people to be defeatist about keeping their tournaments on time?
Not defeatist, it's just a warning. Believe me, i read Prison Bowl questions this year to mediocre teams who would buzz in after (and only after) the giveaway every single time. Those rounds took 40-45 minutes, especially with the extremely long bonus clues too.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:
Not defeatist, it's just a warning. Believe me, i read Prison Bowl questions this year to mediocre teams who would buzz in after (and only after) the giveaway every single time. Those rounds took 40-45 minutes, especially with the extremely long bonus clues too.
Prison Bowl used TNR 10 point font. That's a big difference I believe.
Sandy
Auron

Huang wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:
Prison Bowl used TNR 10 point font. That's a big difference I believe.
Point taken (kinda), but my initial point remains (kinda) that these are still pretty long. Between hypothetical City High C and Rural High B you're going to have some long long rounds. If you should focus on one thing, it's keeping the bonus clue length short. That it what really lengthened the matches from those sorts of packets i read this year. Nonetheless i'm not trying to be critical for the sake of being critical, i really want to see good quizbowl thrive in a place like Kentucky and i just don't want to have you have lots of complaints of tired players or people who want to leave at lunchtime since it might already be 1pm if you're not timely.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Point taken (kinda), but my initial point remains (kinda) that these are still pretty long. Between hypothetical City High C and Rural High B you're going to have some long long rounds. If you should focus on one thing, it's keeping the bonus clue length short. That it what really lengthened the matches from those sorts of packets i read this year. Nonetheless i'm not trying to be critical for the sake of being critical, i really want to see good quizbowl thrive in a place like Kentucky and i just don't want to have you have lots of complaints of tired players or people who want to leave at lunchtime since it might already be 1pm if you're not timely.
Hopefully that doesn't happen. We tried the bracketed round robin format of 5 rounds in the morning and 5 rounds in the afternoon for our NAQT spring tournament last year. It worked out fine and we finished 10 rounds around 3:30 PMish even with a pizza delivery delay. That's when one of the player's parents had a seizure and we had to call 911 for help. Everyone agreed to skip doing a final since the two tied teams were pretty rattled and we just ranked teams by PPG (this year we'll be using PP20TUH). I think the lower brackets actually did do some sort of final placement match (they were locked in a room playing and unaware of what had occurred). We finished by around 4:30ish. So if anything, this tournament could go to around 6ish in the worst case scenario. Also none of the teams left after lunch cause they were too tired or anything silly like that.
Sandy
Auron

Huang wrote:Also none of the teams left after lunch cause they were too tired or anything silly like that.
I've seen it happen at 25-50% of the tournaments we go to here.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Huang wrote:Also none of the teams left after lunch cause they were too tired or anything silly like that.
I've seen it happen at 25-50% of the tournaments we go to here.
From what I know talking to Dunbar alums (as far back as the class of 2003), this has never happened in the 10+ years we've been hosting tournaments.
Sandy
Auron

Lucky you! You must have lots more schools that actually like playing 10 matches a day. I wish my state shared that enthusiasm.

Anyway, another point i was hoping to make but kept forgetting is that i bet these questions will be quite good, so us playing on a mirror of them would rock. We'll look into it if we can find one within a couple hours.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I can attest to the fact that even with a team showing up very late, a slight lunch delay, and a medical emergency; Dunbar's tournament this past year was run very well and was received nicely by the teams that attended. We had enough time to go out and eat a nice meal at a Mexican restaurant after the tourney, had a nearly 3 hour ride home, and still got home at a reasonable time. If they run this year's event as well as last years, time won't be a problem even for teams who are a good deal away.

Dunbar has a big program with plenty of people who know what they're doing, and I expect them to have plenty of moderators able to read 20 seven line questions in a timely manner. Also, KY teams are used to Governor's Cup and league games that use an absurd amount of questions (100 one liners doesn't take too long, but 100 four liners makes for very unhappy quizbowlers) and last longer than half an hour when including all the inquiries, timeouts, and other constant delays.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Grayson will be taking one team, maybe two (depending upon interest.)
I am looking forward to playing on high quality (compared to NAQT) pyramidal questions.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

I might see if my old high school (Francis Howell Central in St. Charles, MO outside of St. Louis) is interested in mirroring this as well. We're on the other side of Missouri as Liberty (in Kansas City, btw), so there shouldn't be much overlap, nor should there be any issues with us and Loyola. However, I'll have to talk to the new coach at FHC about it after school starts, so when do you need word as to whether we'd officially be interested?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Charbroil wrote:I might see if my old high school (Francis Howell Central in St. Charles, MO outside of St. Louis) is interested in mirroring this as well. We're on the other side of Missouri as Liberty (in Kansas City, btw), so there shouldn't be much overlap, nor should there be any issues with us and Loyola. However, I'll have to talk to the new coach at FHC about it after school starts, so when do you need word as to whether we'd officially be interested?
Anytime would be fine probably
Sandy
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Mirror Update - 4 official mirrors and 1 pending mirror

West
Caltech in Pasadena, California (October 24th, 2009)

Southwest
LASA in Austin, Texas (October 10th, 2009)

Midwest
Francis Howell Central in St. Charles, Missouri (?)

Field Update - 8 teams

Danville (?)
Danville Bate (1)
Farragut (2)
Grayson County (2)
Johnson Central (?)
Madisonville North Hopkins (?)
Pikeville (2)
Portland (1)
Woodford County (?)

If any Northwestern, Northern, New England, Mid-Atlantic, and/or Florida schools would like to mirror this tournament, feel free to send me an email at huang[DOT]sundi[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Remember the mirror fee for this set is only $10 per team compared to the cost of purchasing a HSAPQ set for $16 per team or a NAQT set for $18 per team.

I'm aware many schools can't officially decide right now if they can or cannot attend a tournament. Our field currently consists of only Kentucky and Tennessee teams so far. I'll remind teams that there will not be a mirror of this tournament anywhere else in the Southeast. Dunbar travels annually to tournaments in Georgia and South Carolina so it only seems fair for other teams in the Southeast to make the same trip. If teams are interested in playing a good mACF formatted tournament (2010 PACE NSC will also be using such a format) instead of an archaic four-quarters formatted tournament, I highly suggest for such teams to register for this tournament.

We're also currently seeking PACE NSC affiliation for this tournament so the top teams at this tournament can qualify for nationals.
Last edited by Huang on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sandy
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Hey, how many packets are you going to set aside for use in breaking ties at the end? If you set aside two packets in case you need to do an mACF advantaged final for two teams with 1 game's difference in record, won't that limit you to 4 team brackets in the playoffs? Or are you going to just break ties by PPG and/or award the tournament title to the team with the best record, regardless of whether it clears the field or not?
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Charbroil wrote:Hey, how many packets are you going to set aside for use in breaking ties at the end? If you set aside two packets in case you need to do an mACF advantaged final for two teams with 1 game's difference in record, won't that limit you to 4 team brackets in the playoffs? Or are you going to just break ties by PPG and/or award the tournament title to the team with the best record, regardless of whether it clears the field or not?
We're dividing the last two packets into four half packets if that's the case

Edit 1: Clarification
"mACF advantaged final for two teams with 1 game's difference in record" - This will only need two packets. Advantaged team needs only one win. Disadvantaged team needs two wins.

Edit 2: Additionally, I'm not familiar with an "mACF advantaged final". The advantaged final we will be using is what I've outlined in my first edit. If that's a horrible way of going about doing things, let me know.
Sandy
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

What you described is, in fact, the mACF advantaged finals format. Anyhow, you should be fine for packets if you make sure to write more than you expect to need so you have some to burn in case of emergency.
To chip in on the delays, most of the ones I've been in involved people showing up late, people coming back from lunch late, or breaking circles of death.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Is it possible that Grayson could receive a copy of the packets after the tournament has concluded?
We are looking forward to attending.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

grayson77 wrote:Is it possible that Grayson could receive a copy of the packets after the tournament has concluded?
We are looking forward to attending.
They will presumably be emailed to Chris Carter for online archiving after all mirrors are done
Sandy
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Okay, that sounds good.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Mirror Update - 5 official mirrors

West
Caltech in Pasadena, California (October 24th, 2009)

Southwest
LASA in Austin, Texas (November 14th, 2009)

Midwest

New England
Bergen County in Hackensack, New Jersey (October 31st, 2009)

Field Update - 7 teams

Ballard (?)
Danville (?)
Detroit Catholic Central (?)
duPont Manual (?)
Farragut (2)
Grayson County (2)
Johnson Central (?)
Paintsville (2)
Portland (1)
Woodford County (?)
Last edited by Huang on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sandy
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Hey, I talked to the new coach at Francis Howell Central and she says she's probably not ready to run a tournament yet, so could you strike us from the mirror list? Thanks.
Charles Hang

Huang
Rikku

Re: Dunbar Academic Fall Tournament (10/24/09) (NSC Qualifier)

Post by Huang »

This tournament is now a PACE NSC qualifier so the top two teams at this tournament will qualify for nationals since our field currently consists of less than 20 teams. If more teams sign up, more teams will be able to qualify for PACE NSC. We hope this further incentivizes teams in the South to make the trip up to Lexington.
Sandy
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Everyone attending this tournament or a mirror of this tournament should be happy to know that the packets are now undergoing heavy playtesting and editing.
Sandy
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Are our mirrors also NSC qualifiers?
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

David Riley wrote:Are our mirrors also NSC qualifiers?
Fred should have sent an email about it. I think he sent emails for all the mirrors that were already announced in the forum.
Sandy
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Okay, I haven't received it yet. Fred?
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

David Riley wrote:Are our mirrors also NSC qualifiers?
They're certainly eligible to be, but I hadn't seen announcements for either the Bergen County or Loyola tournaments yet. I'll add these to my list.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Thanks Fred, I'll post in the regular announcements forum later this weekend.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

This tournament is one month away..

Field - 9 teams

Ballard (?)
Danville (2)
duPont Manual (?)
Farragut (2)
Grayson County (2)
Johnson Central (?)
Paintsville (2)
Portland (1)
Woodford County (?)

I'm a bit disappointed our tournament doesn't even have a field of double digits despite sending out multiple emails to all Kentucky schools and a few out of state school contacts we happened to have. Any ideas on how to expand this field? Our spring tournament usually gets 20ish teams.
Sandy
Auron

There's still a lot of time left. Many schools have barely started having meetings with their teams, and many teams are reluctant for going to tournaments early in the year (October is still early for many places) if they feel like they're "not ready."

It wasn't long ago, as well, that CR didn't go to a single tournament until December.

Be patient, teams will come around.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I concur....for my tournament, several are multiple teams from a school and many of these were not confirmed until recently.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Hmm, Grayson Co. and Madisonville are the only schools from the western half of Kentucky attending the tourney. I think I'm gonna encourage the GC kids to kinda spread the word whenever they play some of the other teams in the area.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

soaringeagle22 wrote:Hmm, Grayson Co. and Madisonville are the only schools from the western half of Kentucky attending the tourney. I think I'm gonna encourage the GC kids to kinda spread the word whenever they play some of the other teams in the area.
Nick: That's awesome. I will greatly appreciate the effort.
Sandy
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

I will mention it to Owensboro and Apollo when I see them.
They are both pretty competitive this year.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

What's the deadline to register for this tournament? We're semi-interested, but many things have to be worked out.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

grayson77 wrote:I will mention it to Owensboro and Apollo when I see them.
They are both pretty competitive this year.
Nice
Inkana7 wrote:What's the deadline to register for this tournament? We're semi-interested, but many things have to be worked out.
There's really no deadline for registration. Although once we reach a good even number of teams the week leading up, we'll tentatively cut off registration.
Sandy
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Field - 14 teams

Danville Bate (2)
duPont Manual (?)
Grayson County (2)
Johnson Central (2)
Paintsville (2)
Portland (1)
South Range (?)
Woodford County (5)

Props to Woodford County for signing up 5 teams.
Last edited by Huang on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Glad to see Woodford becoming a part of the Kentucky quizbowl scene.
I hope the field will continue to grow and draw in several more competitive teams.

I am interested in seeing how us and Danville fare against each other.
We should be at pretty similar level this year.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Faiyad
Wakka

Post by Faiyad »

Yo Sandy, I am pretty sure Johnson Central will also be coming.
Not sure how many teams though, two perhaps?
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15
maged
Lulu

Post by maged »

Ballard will not be able to attend this tournament due to a Jefferson County Quick Recall Tournament and the ACT
Maged Saeed
University of Kentucky '15
Ballard '11
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

That is disappointing to hear.
I guess we will have to wait until the spring to play you all then.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Faiyad wrote:Yo Sandy, I am pretty sure Johnson Central will also be coming.
Not sure how many teams though, two perhaps?
Awesome Faiyad. I'll put you guys down for two then. I'll be sure to update it if anything changes.

Edit: By the way, what's your coach's email address?
Sandy
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Not to sound overly interrogative, but do any of you Johnson Central people know how Paintsville is this year?
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Faiyad
Wakka

Post by Faiyad »

grayson77 wrote:Not to sound overly interrogative, but do any of you Johnson Central people know how Paintsville is this year?
The JV team beat ours.
But they weren't very strong at Ezell-Harding.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15