THUNDER at Penn (10/24/09)

Old college threads.
Lapego1
Tidus

THUNDER at Penn (10/24/09)

Post by Lapego1 »

The University of Pennsylvania will be hosting a mirror of THUNDER, a tournament written by Trygve Meade, George Stevens, and Eric Mukherjee, on October 24, 2009 in Philadelphia, PA. It has been announced as a regular difficulty tournament, and no one has to write a packet for this. A slightly more detailed page about this tournament is here. Fee structure is as follows:

Base fee per team: $100
Competent Moderator: -$10 each
Functional Buzzer: -$10 each
Distance: -$10 per 200 miles traveled
Min Fee per school: $50

Further discounts can be arranged for high school, completely new, or depleted (fewer than 3 people) teams. Registrations should be sent to [email protected]. You can contact me at that address with other questions or post your questions here. IMPORTANT: I'm only considering you part of the field if you send me an e-mail so that I'm not scrambling to track down your contact info a week before the tournament.

Location: An opening meeting will take place in the Ben Franklin room of Houston Hall (second floor). This is near Williams Hall, which is where we'll have games as usual. The nominal address for Williams is 255 S. 36th St (intersection of 36th and Spruce). Here is a searchable map: http://www.facilities.upenn.edu/map.php.

Timing: Please make necessary arrangements to arrive between 9am and 9:30am. I've purposely delayed the start time by a half hour or so because several teams are coming by transit and come in late whenever I announce an earlier start time; you should get on whatever transit will land you on campus by 9am or risk delaying the already delayed tournament. The opening two-minute meeting will commence at 9:45am, and we'll be starting games as soon as possible afterwards.

Parking: A parking map is here: http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/parking/map.html. Free parking is always available west of 40th St, but you may have to go a bit west into non-campus area. Metered parking will be limited this weekend because it is Parents' Weekend. Otherwise lots 8, 30, and the "P" lot on 36th St (Sheraton parking) are all good places to park in reasonable walking distance of Williams Hall.

Payments: Checks should be made out in my name--"Mehdi Razvi". Try to spell it right as I don't know what horrors await me at the bank if you do not. You should arrange to pay me the morning of the tournament. Otherwise, you should e-mail me in advance explaining why not and giving me an expected date of payment. I'm going to charge an extra $10 per week that the payment is delayed without a good reason, and other repercussions may follow. I'll have invoices for everyone on Saturday. If you've already talked to me about requiring an invoice in advance, I'll get that to you Saturday and you're temporarily absolved from the aforementioned payment and repercussions.

Field (as of 10/22/09):
Columbia (4)
Delaware (2)
Maryland (2)
Penn House (2)
Princeton (1)
Rutgers-NB (1)
Swarthmore (2)
Temple (1)
VCU (1)
Total: 16

Format: If the field remains at 16, we'll do round-robin in two prelim brackets of 8, followed by splitting into upper and lower brackets of 8 and another round-robin against teams not played in the prelims. This gives 11 rounds. If we drop to 14, I'm tempted to just do a full round-robin for 13 total rounds. Both options would involve an advantaged final if necessary.
Last edited by Lapego1 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: THUNDER at Penn (10/24/09)

Post by DumbJaques »

We'll bring a few teams.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

As of now, I'm playing this solo for comedy purposes. I'm also willing to play for any team that needs a 4th, if that's allowed. Don't expect too many points.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

I'm about 90% sure I will be wandering into this tournament, cheesesteak in hand, wondering why everyone else is in town for my brother's birthday. The VCU team might even be with me!
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Somehow this escaped my attention. Unless there is a Northeast mirror of this, which I haven't seen, I guess we'll be bringing at least one team to this.

edit: herp derp I cannot read. We'll be going to Brandeis instead. Brandeis, post an announcement please!
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Just bumping to say this is happening in a few weeks, and I'm hoping to hear from some more people by then by e-mail.
Mehdi Razvi

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Hey everyone,
Depending on how it works at Maryland this weekend, we're probably going to try out a little later start time for this, probably 9:30am or 10am because most of the people on our field end up pushing the 9am time due to trains, etc. anyway. There currently aren't any plans to run side events, etc., but we shouldn't run too late anyway.

Also, we're quite close to a magic number of 16 (and not too far from the also magic 18 and 20), so if there are any changes people wish to make to their team counts, please let me know by next Wednesday at the latest.
Mehdi Razvi

-James D. Watson (1928-)
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

UVA maybe coming to this.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Just a reminder that this is happening THIS weekend. I'll be e-mailing out details later this week. I've gotten a "tentative" from UVA, but if any team numbers on the above list change, please let me know by Wednesday night, so I can work up and print schedules.
Mehdi Razvi

-James D. Watson (1928-)
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

I sent out updates to all teams and have edited the first post to include most of those updates. We're presently at 15-16 teams, so we're going to go with 16 by fielding a second house team and drop down to 14 if anyone else drops out. The only thing that's still up in the air is where exactly teams should go in the morning. I will find this out by tomorrow or Friday and e-mail/post here.
Mehdi Razvi

-James D. Watson (1928-)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Lapego1 wrote:Location: An opening meeting will take place in some building near Williams Hall, which is where we'll have games as usual. I'll update this with exact location of the opening meeting, which will be somewhere in the immediate vicinity of Williams. The nominal address for Williams is 255 S. 36th St (intersection of 36th and Spruce). Here is a searchable map: http://www.facilities.upenn.edu/map.php.
Do you have an update on where exactly we should be at 9:45?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Matt Weiner wrote:
Lapego1 wrote:Location: An opening meeting will take place in some building near Williams Hall, which is where we'll have games as usual. I'll update this with exact location of the opening meeting, which will be somewhere in the immediate vicinity of Williams. The nominal address for Williams is 255 S. 36th St (intersection of 36th and Spruce). Here is a searchable map: http://www.facilities.upenn.edu/map.php.
Do you have an update on where exactly we should be at 9:45?
Yes, I just received that info. It is the Ben Franklin room of Houston Hall (second floor I believe), which is accessible from Spruce Street on the map and is adjacent to Williams.
Mehdi Razvi

-James D. Watson (1928-)
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Brief results: Maryland A won the first game of an advantaged final over VCU to win the tournament at 12-0. VCU went 10-2 with their only losses to Maryland. I'll get Sid to post prelim stats ASAP as those are done, but playoff stats may not be posted until tomorrow. Hope everyone had fun!
Mehdi Razvi

-James D. Watson (1928-)
sidc
Lulu

Post by sidc »

Here are the prelim stats for the tournament

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Siddharth Chandrasekhar
sidc
Lulu