Fall Novice Mirror at Maggie Walker on 10/10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Re: Fall Novice Mirror at Maggie Walker on 10/10

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

St. Anselm's went undefeated to win this tournament. Stats to be posted soon by my esteemed teammate JR.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Stats [url=file:///C:/Users/gsac/AppData/Local/Temp/Fall%20novice%20results_games.html]here[/url]
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Hey, perhaps you should upload them to the internet for the public to see before posting a link...
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Lightinfa wrote:Stats [url=file:///C:/Users/gsac/AppData/Local/Temp/Fall%20novice%20results_games.html]here[/url]
OK, since that didn't work too well, hopefully this will.

Thanks to everyone who came out to staff, especially George Berry for helping with set-up yesterday and Dan Goff for helping make an emergency schedule this morning.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Any chance they can be viewed without the need to download?
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

dtaylor4 wrote:Any chance they can be viewed without the need to download?
That is unfortunately beyond my technological capabilities, so unless someone can explain to me how to do that, no.
Sam L,
PACE
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

This tournament was excellent.

Logistics were great. Every reader we had was completely competent, which isn't surprising considering who they were. Getting 10.5 rounds and lunch done by 3:15 is an accomplishment. Thanks to Gov for such a fun tournament.

I was also very, very happy with the set. I felt it was an excellent run-through of huge swathes of the high school regular-difficulty-and-below canon, and I highly encourage any team on the fence about attending at another site to do so. You won't regret it. This set had something for everyone; while it wasn't difficult, it certainly wasn't too easy. There were numerous interesting lead-ins and bonus parts that I feel are just the kinds of things novice players need to get a feel of. This set hit almost every major topic and, even better, I felt difficulty was consistent, apart from a few tossups that stuck out as on the hard side for this level. Bonuses, miraculously, also seemed extremely consistent, a great accomplishment in this day and age. I would like to applaud the writers and editors of the Fall Novice Tournament for writing an excellent set that was produced on time. I guess the hierarchy system was successful in making this thing get done, and this tournament should serve as a beacon of hope for those despairing that no tournament will ever be finished on time again ever.

EDIT: Thanks also to Colin Berry for putting up with what must have seemed like two crotchety old guys for teammates.
Last edited by Kouign Amann on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

This tournament was definitely a fun tournament to bring a team to as an 'assistant coach'. A well-deserved congratulations to St. Anselm's for decisively winning the tournament by demi-grailing GDS on a half-packet 340 to -15 since Packet 12 was used for tiebreaking, to Maggie Walker for getting 10 and a half rounds of pyramidal quizbowl done by 3:30, and to the editors of the Fall Novice set for providing quality pyramidal questions that tested novices' knowledge without being condescending. Kudos to Charlie, Zhao, and Sarah for pulling it off.

This tournament also seemed to produce a pretty reasonable, bell-curve like distribution of PPG and bonus converstion across the field, breaking the usual trend that novice tournaments have of lower average PPG and bonus conversion across the field despite the easier teams and easier questions.

There were still a few errors in the set; I'll be emailing the pertinent people with the little odds and ends that went wrong and how to fix them, but overall, personal biases aside, the writing and editing was pretty fantastic.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

This is not a word i throw around very often, but this tournament was darn-near perfect for what it was.

~Ten rounds of "good quizbowl" that started just after 9am and ended just after 3pm... with one hour for lunch in the middle. This may be unheard of.

~Wonderful, courteous, competent readers... across the board (knowing most of them personally, i knew they would be, but my kids were very impressed as well).

~A friendly, knowledgeable, efficient staff (including the moderators) made everything go very smoothly.

~Good teams, polite players and coaches, and a downright congenial sense of "everybody really enjoys being here and every game is fun" is something each quizbowl tournament should have, but most do not fully. This did.

~Incredible, pyramidal, difficulty-appropriate questions for the students in attendance. Minus one or two of the things Matt already mentioned, and literally fewer tossup questions that i can count on one hand that i thought were barely too difficult for this field... i couldn't have asked for a better set. This was the best introductory set i have ever heard, exponentially better than any NAQT A Set and also leaps and bounds better than either year's HAVOC sets. To say i was elated with the questions is just about exactly right. I only wish my kids were more prepared for them. But never, once, did they say "this was too hard" or "i don't think that's important" or anything of that nature. They knew, that if it was asked about today, they SHOULD have known it. And in time, they will.

This is a tradition that needs to continue.

If you are on a team, or coaching a team, or just somewhere in the general vicinity of a team that is thinking about going to Whitman or anywhere else mirroring this, GO TO IT.

EDIT: PM to AM.
Last edited by Down and out in Quintana Roo on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:
~Ten rounds of "good quizbowl" that started just after 9pm and ended just after 3pm... with one hour for lunch in the middle. T
Man I am so glad this didn't actually happen like this!
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Just putting it out there, but I'm not sure how I would feel if I told my kids that they were going to a novice tournament and they end up getting completely thrashed by a very very good player who could very well be the captain of all but maybe 30 non-novice teams in the nation and already has a reputation as a player of such skill.
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

wexs883198215 wrote:Just putting it out there, but I'm not sure how I would feel if I told my kids that they were going to a novice tournament and they end up getting completely thrashed by a very very good player who could very well be the captain of all but maybe 30 non-novice teams in the nation and already has a reputation as a player of such skill.
A reasonable statement, and it is obvious who you are refering to about it, but who are you targeting with this statement. Are you complaining about lax definitions of "novice," or making another case of "Good people shouldn't play tournaments they are eligible to play."?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

I think we all knew that this was going to be a tournament of very high quality, and it makes sense that people would want to play it as long as they are eligible. I guess many others would have done the same thing in the same situation, and I certainly wouldn't hold it against Aidan.

I also can't really think of a way of setting the eligibility requirements so that this wouldn't have happened either.

So yes, I'm saying I don't blame either side and I don't have a remarkable solution.

But lets face it. A player like Aidan who has had a statline of 28-79-26 (Maryland Fall) is not a novice by any ridiculous stretch of the imagination.

The thing is, we all knew that St. Anselms was going to crush the daylights of out any team there. I guess if the teams and other people don't think this is an issue, then I guess it's fine. As long as there weren't adverse effects and no one subject to the drubbings have any reaction of that sort, anyways.
Kuo-Kai Chin
Harvard University '15
pleasewalkforward
Wakka

Post by pleasewalkforward »

Thanks to the Maggie Walker team and all the writers for such a great tournament! It really had no major problems--early scheduling problems were quickly and neatly resolved, the packet was spot-on in terms of difficulty, and the moderators were clear. Just to nitpick, though, there were a few repeat similar answers (at least one coming up right in the next question), but all could be easily remedied. All in all, two thumbs up from me.
Jacob Lawrence Wasserman
Saint Anselm's Abbey School, '12
Yale University, '16
University of California, Los Angeles, '19
Former Treasurer and Member, Yale Student Academic Competitions
Former Secretary, Staff Recruitment Volunteer, and Member, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

I guess I should explain myself.

I too, towards the beginning of this week, began to have conflicting feelings about my participation at this tournament. I still don't know what I really think. I will lay out my reasoning for the community to evaluate:

Reasons against attending:
I have no desire to brag, just to state the truth, but, as one could deduce from today's stats, I'm much better at quizbowl than your standard sophomore/novice tournament attendee. Unfortunately, it didn't really dawn on me until like yesterday that this tournament would hold little in the way of serious competition.
Getting blown out at a novice tournament could reduce the amount a new player enjoys one of his or her first quizbowl experiences enough that he or she might be driven away from quizbowl. If I did this to anyone today, I sincerely apologize to that person or those people, and I apologize to the community at large for reducing our numbers. One might very well argue that my attendance today was not appropriate.

Reasons for attending:
Any way you spin it, my attendance today was not illegal. I asked Sarah specifically well beforehand if my middle school quizbowl years should count against me for the "first or second year of high school play" rule, and she said no. Perhaps the rule should have been different.
I also stated early on that St. Anselm's would be at this tournament with some number of teams. After the rather close-by Whitman mirror was announced, many quality DC-area teams dropped from the Gov site. We ourselves dropped to just one team, after initially thinking we would be able to bring at least three. No offense to Doug or anyone else at Whitman, but I feel that as one of the head editors of Fall Novice, Sarah's site should receive precedence over someone who did less (but certainly not poorer) work to make this tournament happen. I have a feeling this also contributed to my obliviousness of the field strength situation. I realized far too late that the solid DC-area B and C teams I was hoping to face weren't going to be there.
I understand that the field size situation (only 12 teams today at a fine, fine tournament!) was also a serious issue, in that Gov was very close to actually losing money on today's tournament. I don't think this is something that should ever happen. Our financial contribution and actually showing up, while admittedly very weak points of argument, are something to be considered. I didn't want to drop from this tournament, but I didn't think that dragging 12 middle schoolers and freshmen to Richmond when they could just go to Bethesda instead was a very good idea. Jacob and I playing this together seemed like the best way to deal with a rather sticky wicket.

I am not sure which of the above sides tips lower on the scales of right action, nor am I sure that I am hitting all points.

Again, I am truly sorry for any offense or fun-draining-effects my actions today caused. After missing both HAVOC I and HAVOC II due to terribly scheduled tv-show tapings (another possible internal motivation I had for attending the FNT), I can say with absolute confidence that today was both the beginning and the end of my high school novice tournament career. The only time anyone will see me at something like this again will be as a "coach" or staffer.
Aidan Mehigan
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Hey, if it's any consolation, I expected the carnage to be far worse.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

Come on people. Compare this to a JV football game. An amazing freshman who dominates shouldn't have to apologize. A person who is eligible should attend if he wants to. Do we want people in the quizbowl community that are gonna start crying and running to their mamas if they lose by a lot? I can only hope to have to have an opportunity to apologize in the way Aidan did, but i wouldn't have done so.
Daniel Galitsky
Richard Montgomery HS-2012
University of Maryland-2016
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Yeah, I'm really not sure how much of an effect one blowout will have on novices if the rest of their games are reasonably close. Also, since Aidan mentioned my decision to mirror the Fall Novice set, I'll summarize my response:
1. There are a large number of DC-area teams(many of whom only play TV shows) that would benefit from this set but are unlikely to travel to Richmond to play a tournament. I was hoping to appeal to those teams, but only a few of them have thus far expressed any interest.
2. I thought that the teams that had already registered would not unregister and that teams that had the resources to send players to Richmond would do so. This was induitably wrong.
3. I still had serious reservations about hosting a mirror. I probably should have listened to said and either not submitted a bid or explictly requested that any team with the ability and inclination to send a team to Richmond do so. Although there probably isn't anything I can do to make up for the negative effects of my decision to host a fall novice mirror on Gov's tournament, I'd be happy do anything I can to make up for said negative effects.
EDIT: Grammar and "accidental submit button hit" note.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Yeah, to clarify:

I am complete for Whitman's mirror; I will hopefully be taking several teams to it. It's Ac-only teams are a great resource waiting to be tapped, and I'm sure the combined fields of the two mirrors willl be far greater than if Gov had been the only site. I don't really know how it could have been prevented, but I just wish Gov hadn't lost so many good teams to the other site.
Aidan Mehigan
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I didn't read for any teams in this tournament who were completely struggling with the questions--everyone I saw all day was getting some early buzzes here and there, trying to win each game, and seeming to have a good time. In that situation, showing new players that it's possible to get really good at quizbowl is somewhat of a positive, and let me have a lot of discussions about the question archives and practice strategies with some promising teams, especially after they played St. Anselm's. You never really know whether a steamrolling team is going to demoralize or inspire people until the tournament happens, but luckily, in this case, it seemed to be the latter.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Auron

I can say that i warned my kids about St. Anselm's, and they were fine with it... to the point that i built Aidan up to be so superhuman that my team was happy to score 70 points on him (though we ended up with like 20 and 30 points in other matches, not good). Again, you can never go wrong with diminishing expectations. :grin:

Should he have attended? My view? No. What is this tournament called? "Fall Novice." Highlight that second word. Aidan ain't no novice. Was he within the rules to attend? Actually that's not as clear cut as we've made it out to be, as i quote... "We are allowing teams consisting of players in their first or second year of high school competition, with the exception that middle schoolers may play even if they are 8th graders entering their third year of competing against high schoolers." Aidan has played for at least 3 possibly 4 consecutive years, correct? I'm just not sure how much of that was against high school teams.

But it wouldn't have bothered me as much about St. Anselm's if there weren't just 12 teams at this thing. More schools would have really helped the field. When the consolation bracket is still having games where my kids are getting just 20-30 points per game (as a full team), it made me wish that there were other schools there that also really brought true novices to the tournament (one of mine had never attended a tournament, and the other three had only been to two or three, most with other horrible Delaware teams in attendance)... not as a replacement for other teams, just in addition to them. Sure, we didn't go winless, but that was a crazy win that we got that mimicked no other game in the course of the day.

As it is, i'm glad we went, it was a fun day... they really enjoyed every game and wanted to play more. CR's Class of 2012 has a long way to go, though.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

First, I want to echo the previous sentiments about the tournament and the questions. The tournament was run extremely well, despite a particular team showing up late (my apologies, Sarah :oops:). The questions were well written and designed for the novice player... very few topics came up where I had to say that it was beyond the scope of my kids and that's what I was hoping for. Getting 10 rounds of competition in and out the door by 3 PM, that's priceless. Amazing job by the staff and teams alike.

As for Aidan competing, I did not warn my kids about him and all but a handful of my players were first time players. I asked my kids for their opinions of the round with Aidan and most expressed some sort of admiration for him. They were very impressed by his talent and knowledge and no one on the team felt that it was unfair for him to be there. The matches he played with our A and B teams didn't seem to demoralize them or deter them from signing up for another tournament. A few actually wanted to know how to get as good as him or why he was able to ring in so early. I think, for us, we just learn more from our losses than we do our wins.

So, in a way, I was kinda glad Aidan was there. My kids needed some exposure to great players in order to get better. Great job, Aidan, and congrats to St. Anslem for their win yesterday.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

For what it's worth, I wished other Fall Novice sites had more relaxed eligibility rules like the ones Maggie Walker used. I think a couple in California and Illinois had far more stringent eligibility rules. Anyways, Aidan certainly should have been allowed to attend and hopefully he learned new stuff while still playing a pretty easy set. As someone who has been destroyed multiple times by various good teams (more recently by college teams at EFT), the adverse effects of a blowout are a bit over exaggerated. If a player gets demoralized because he or she loses to another team, they're probably not best fitted for competitive activities. Most players I know are motivated, instead of demoralized, by huge blowout losses to get better.
Sandy
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Huang wrote:For what it's worth, I wished other Fall Novice sites had more relaxed eligibility rules like the ones Maggie Walker used. I think a couple in California and Illinois had far more stringent eligibility rules. Anyways, Aidan certainly should have been allowed to attend and hopefully he learned new stuff while still playing a pretty easy set. As someone who has been destroyed multiple times by various good teams (more recently by college teams at EFT), the adverse effects of a blowout are a bit over exaggerated. If a player gets demoralized because he or she loses to another team, they're probably not best fitted for competitive activities. Most players I know are motivated, instead of demoralized, by huge blowout losses to get better.
One could argue that these teams have all year to be blown out at regular tournaments, and that Fall Novice is designed to acclimate new teams to quizbowl in a setting where those blowouts will not occur. However, as others have said, one huge loss over the course of 10 rounds would hardly ruin a team's day. Aidan and Jacob's participation is hardly a scandal. In retrospect, perhaps St. Anselm's should have been an "exhibition team" ineligible for the finals; that way, a team of actual novices (GDS, who played spectacularly) could have won instead of my esteemed, longtime colleagues. Of course, that's certainly not the fault of those running this remarkably efficient tournament.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
pleasewalkforward
Wakka

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:Aidan ain't no novice. Was he within the rules to attend? Actually that's not as clear cut as we've made it out to be, as i quote... "We are allowing teams consisting of players in their first or second year of high school competition, with the exception that middle schoolers may play even if they are 8th graders entering their third year of competing against high schoolers." Aidan has played for at least 3 possibly 4 consecutive years, correct? I'm just not sure how much of that was against high school teams.
MLWGS-Gir wrote:
Prof.Whoopie wrote:I will probably be bringing the middle school/freshman team down for this.

Quick question: Since I started playing in seventh grade, I am ineligible for this tournament, correct? (i.e., this is a different set of rules than those applied for HAVOC, for which any sophomore is eligible)
Yeah, I'm not going to count middle school play against playing this.
So by the letter of the rules, Aidan is eligible. However, I can see that this is more about the spirit of the rules. I have also been playing quizbowl since 7th grade, albeit on the C-team when Aidan was on the B-team and on the B-team when Aidan was on the A-team, until my freshman year, when we were both on the A-team. But when people have complained about St. Anselm's competing, they have either implicitly or explicitly been referring to Aidan competing. Now, don't get me wrong, Aidan is miles ahead of me--just check the stats. But this is just the point--if I am allowed to play, without complaint, then why all the fuss about Aidan? The only difference between us is how good we are, and to deny someone the right to play based on their skill seems perverse, especially post facto. While some might argue, "Hey, isn't Fall Novice supposed to be about separating the skilled from the less-so," how is one to judge this skill? Limit the tourney to players who have never attained an arbitrary amount of ppg? Impractical, especially given that many players have never been to tourneys that keep individual stats. Where would one draw the line: 25 ppg? 30 ppg? 40 ppg? And what if one was on a team with other very good players, who "stole" one's points and artificially deflated one's ppg? Look, hate to break out the dictionary, but a novice is defined in at least three dictionaries that I have checked as a beginner, not as someone lacking skill. More pertinently, a novice for the purposes of this tournament is defined as
MLWGS-Gir wrote:players in their first or second year of high school competition, with the exception that middle schoolers may play even if they are 8th graders entering their third year of competing against high schoolers.
with the caveat that
MLWGS-Gir wrote:Yeah, I'm not going to count middle school play against playing this.
for high school players, like Aidan, who played in middle school. To draw an analogy, should the best novices in baseball not be eligible for "Rookie of the Year?" A novice is a beginner, pure and simple, regardless how good. The other teams didn't seem to mind, and a fun time was had by all (see many above posts).
Jacob Lawrence Wasserman
Yale University, '16
Former Secretary, Staff Recruitment Volunteer, and Member, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Doink the Clown wrote:Yeah, I'm really not sure how much of an effect one blowout will have on novices if the rest of their games are reasonably close. Also, since Aidan mentioned my decision to mirror the Fall Novice set, I'll summarize my response:
1. There are a large number of DC-area teams(many of whom only play TV shows) that would benefit from this set but are unlikely to travel to Richmond to play a tournament. I was hoping to appeal to those teams, but only a few of them have thus far expressed any interest.
2. I thought that the teams that had already registered would not unregister and that teams that had the resources to send players to Richmond would do so. This was induitably wrong.
3. I still had serious reservations about hosting a mirror. I probably should have listened to said and either not submitted a bid or explictly requested that any team with the ability and inclination to send a team to Richmond do so. Although there probably isn't anything I can do to make up for the negative effects of my decision to host a fall novice mirror on Gov's tournament, I'd be happy do anything I can to make up for said negative effects.
EDIT: Grammar and "accidental submit button hit" note.
Doug, TV show teams are precisely why I ok'd a Maryland mirror during discussion of bids, and I really expected more primarily VHSL teams than we were able to get. We both gambled and gambled incorrectly. No worries.

I'm bad at quoting multiple posts, so I'll just tack this on: don't feel too badly about being late, Mr. Powers, you gave us a little more time to make a new schedule. We've also now learned to get contact numbers for teams in case of such a situation...

As to the middle school thing, I made but evidently failed to post that ruling before Aidan asked while thinking of hypothetical TJ freshmen who may have played at Longfellow. The first game of Greg Tito, Cameron Orth, and my career was against 2007 State College A, so I hope people were as encouraged by playing St. Anselm's as we were by facing them. It wasn't a snap decision and I did have reservations about it, but as far as I could tell and from what most of the people who attended have said, I don't think it did any harm.

I hope everyone enjoyed this tournament; thanks to all of you for coming.
Sam L,
PACE
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

Also, i want to point out the inconvenient truth that these novices, myself included will have to face Aidan for the rest of our careers, why not start earlier?
Daniel Galitsky
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

sir negsalot wrote:Come on people. Compare this to a JV football game. An amazing freshman who dominates shouldn't have to apologize. A person who is eligible should attend if he wants to. Do we want people in the quizbowl community that are gonna start crying and running to their mamas if they lose by a lot? I can only hope to have to have an opportunity to apologize in the way Aidan did, but i wouldn't have done so.
Obviously you've never been to the sovereign state of Illinois.... :wink:
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

So either:

-Football players in Illinois apologize if they're good?
-Lots of quizbowl teams quit if they get blown out?
-People's mamas in Illinois are within running distance?
-Visiting Illinois would not want to make me so good that i would have to apologize?
-Visiting Illinois would make me me want to apologize if i was good?
-I cant think of any others
Daniel Galitsky
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

I don't want to drag this on, and I agree that Aidan probably didn't cause any harm, but some of the sports analogies that are being thrown out don't make a lot of sense to me.
Perhaps I'm not well acquainted with high school athletics, but are Varsity players also allowed to play on JV teams? That seems to go against the point of having JV teams.

I am slightly more familiar with things like Major League Baseball, and I believe there is a limit to how much you could have played before you were ineligible for Rookie of the Year honors, and the current standards are at 130 at bats, 50 innings pitched or 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club. That's between 1/3-1/4 of a season. I would venture to suggest that Aidan's case is not comparable to such an example at all.
sir negsalot wrote:Also, i want to point out the inconvenient truth that these novices, myself included will have to face Aidan for the rest of our careers, why not start earlier?
Well, you might also get crushed by Gov A and GDS A this year, why not let them play then?
I mean it's a matter of perspective on the goal and intent of the tournament, but since there was no harm done, it's not a big deal.
Kuo-Kai Chin
Harvard University '15
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

sir negsalot wrote:So either:

-Football players in Illinois apologize if they're good?

No.

-Lots of quizbowl teams quit if they get blown out?

They quit going to tournaments, I don't know about league play.

-People's mamas in Illinois are within running distance?

Possibly not, but they are definitely within telephone distance to school principals.

-Visiting Illinois would not want to make me so good that i would have to apologize?
-Visiting Illinois would make me me want to apologize if i was good?

It's changing, but very slowly...there are only a handful of teams here that care about good quizbowl.

-I cant think of any others
Yes, I'm very cynical, based on 17 years experience as a coach, and very skeptical that anything is going to change as quickly as good players want things to change (within the four years of their high school careers).
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Sorry for screwing up my responses (didn't separate indivdual parts of your quote).
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:Aidan has played for at least 3 possibly 4 consecutive years, correct? I'm just not sure how much of that was against high school teams.
In the interest of full disclosure, the answers to the above questions are "four, counting this year" and "all of them."
Aidan Mehigan
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Well, any sort of field restriction is either going to let in some people who shouldn't play the set or keep out people who should. Since it's probably better not to keep people out, we should lean towards more liberal eligibilty restrictions. Another factor, though, is that this was as far as I know the only tournament this weekend, so it was either this or not playing anything.
Moving on from the Aidan thing, it's clear that we need to come up with better ways to get TV teams involved. One thing that does seem to help is direct contact with circuit people. Does anyone have other ideas?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Auron

Spelling in the stats.

Yeah. "Caesar."

And it was "Tyusha" not "Tynsha," but that's a pretty cool name too.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
pleasewalkforward
Wakka

wexs883198215 wrote:I am slightly more familiar with things like Major League Baseball, and I believe there is a limit to how much you could have played before you were ineligible for Rookie of the Year honors, and the current standards are at 130 at bats, 50 innings pitched or 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club. That's between 1/3-1/4 of a season. I would venture to suggest that Aidan's case is not comparable to such an example at all.
The eligibility requirements for Rookie of the Year are "30 at bats, 50 innings pitched or 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club." The eligibility requirements for Fall Novice are
MLWGS-Gir wrote:first or second year of high school competition, with the exception that middle schoolers may play even if they are 8th graders entering their third year of competing against high schoolers.
except that high schoolers don't have middle school experience counted against them. So even if you don't like the rules, they are what they are, and Aidan met them. Besides, to go farther in the analogy, experience in Japanese baseball or minor-league baseball does not count toward "Rookie of the Year."
Jacob Lawrence Wasserman
Yale University, '16
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Technically, Aidan broke no rules, and I realize that completely.

I am just saying that the analogy you keep throwing out there is invalid because the level at which Aidan has competed would be analogous to 4 years of "major league quizbowl". A "rookie" can go only play so much before he is ineligible, and if we were applying baseball's rules hypothetically for some bizarre reason, that simply would not work.

If he was playing quizbowl in the "minors", ie I guess on the middle school circuit, or playing quizbowl in Japan (now that'd be pretty cool), maybe the this second argument would be valid.
Kuo-Kai Chin
Harvard University '15
Auron

Anyway, switching gears.

Do you think the stats could be posted in another format? I'm hearing several of my players having a hard time accessing this format, and they'd like to look at the statistics for the day.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

More stat issues.

Here are the stat lines i have for my kids. I watched every game and wrote down every answer and who got what; the paper is right in front of me. This differs from the stats online by a lil bit.

Also, game 4 (against Clover Hill) was 22 tossups, not 21. TU21 went dead in overtime and we needed another one.

Tyusha: 0-0, 1-0, 0-0, 2-0, 1-0, 1-0, 1-1, 0-0, 2-0, 0-0 - 75 total/7.50PPG
Elorm: 1-0, 1-2, 2-0, 1-0, 3-1, 1-1, 1-1, 0-0, 0-0, 1-0 - 85 total/8.50PPG
Rachel M.: 1-0, 3-0, 2-0, 5-0, 1-0, 1-1, 0-0, 2-0, 2-1, 1-0 - 170 total/17.00PPG
Rachel G.: 1-0, 2-0, 1-0, 0-0, 0-0, 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 1-0, 0-0 - 80 total/8.00PPG
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:Anyway, switching gears.

Do you think the stats could be posted in another format? I'm hearing several of my players having a hard time accessing this format, and they'd like to look at the statistics for the day.
If someone will explain how to do this, maybe. We've got a weird schedule this week and I won't have a chance to mess with anything until next Monday.
Sam L,
PACE
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:

If someone will explain how to do this, maybe. We've got a weird schedule this week and I won't have a chance to mess with anything until next Monday.
Just go to scobo.net and set up an account there. Then you just make the tournament and upload the stats in the appropriate slots. This is how most people do it, and if my explanation is unsatisfactory you can ask but the site is incredibly easy to use and it is self-explanatory, but if for some reason i am wrong in this you can contact me or the 99999999 other people who use this site.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

MoCity02 wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:

Just go to scobo.net and set up an account there. Then you just make the tournament and upload the stats in the appropriate slots. This is how most people do it, and if my explanation is unsatisfactory you can ask but the site is incredibly easy to use and it is self-explanatory, but if for some reason i am wrong in this you can contact me or the 99999999 other people who use this site.
We actually have one that I tried to get the password of reset on Saturday; I'll continue pursuing this. As I said, I can't do anything about this until Monday at the earliest, so we should have a new one by then.
Sam L,
PACE
pleasewalkforward
Wakka

I think you might need Firefox to open the stats.
Jacob Lawrence Wasserman
Yale University, '16
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

I've fixed the stat errors pointed out to me and the stats can now be found in a nicer format on scobo here.
Sam L,
PACE
Auron

MLWGS-Gir wrote:I've fixed the stat errors pointed out to me and the stats can now be found in a nicer format on scobo here.
Thanks Sarah. You rock.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01