HSAPQ Open Forum, October 7th at 8:00 P.M.

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

HSAPQ Open Forum, October 7th at 8:00 P.M.

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

There will be a HSAPQ open forum on 8:00 P.M. EDT this Wednesday, October 7th in #hsapq on slashnet. Anyone interested in the future of HSAPQ is invited to attend.
Last edited by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
jonah
Auron

Re: HSAPQ Open Forum, October 7th at 8:00 P.M.

Post by jonah »

Which time zone is that?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Eastern.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I will be unable to participate, but I would definitely encourage:

1) Continued and increased writing of high school questions. For those of us who foster good quiz bowl, NAQT and huse-written (the latter not always feasible) are our only other choices.

2) Continue to host the annual all-star tournament, and wishing success for the premier one this summer.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

For those who have not used IRC before, here is how:

1) You need some method of using the IRC protocol. This can be accomplished by either:
1a) Downloading an IRC client. Any one you find for your operating system will work on any network/channel, but some popular ones are mIRC (mirc.com) for Windows, Colloquy (colloquy.info) for Macs, or Chatzilla (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16), which is an add-on for the Firefox browser and will run on any system that has Firefox installed.
1b) Connecting through a web-based client such as Mibbit (mibbit.com). I recommend that you do this only if you cannot get a standalone client to work, since web-based clients have low reliability and feature support. On the other hand, many campus wireless networks block the IRC protocol (if you are on one that blocks AIM, it likely blocks this too) so you may have to use a web-based client to get around that.
2) Find the line in your client that lets you enter commands. Use the command: /server moo.slashnet.org to connect to the Slashnet network.
3) Once you have connected to Slashnet, use the command: /nick Yournamehere (replacing Yournamehere with whatever name you are going to be using in chat) to change your name to something recognizable. Some clients will not even let you connect without setting up a name as part of the installation process; for those that do, you will be given a default name like "mib_f09wwfw" and you will want to change it to something more personable as soon as possible.
4) Use the command: /join #hsapq to join the hsapq channel.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
New York Undercover
Wakka

Post by New York Undercover »

If this happens, can a log be posted here?
I have an unfortunate conflict tonight.

Thanks.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Here's the log: http://pastie.org/651044.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Matt Weiner wrote:Here's the log: http://pastie.org/651044.
That log appears to be incomplete (unless the discussion ended really suddenly). Is some missing?
Jonah Greenthal
New York Undercover
Wakka

Post by New York Undercover »

I would suggest that HSAPQ try Ms. Mitzi Mahoney, who runs the SHSU Academic Challenge tournament in the fall and spring. It is 4 quarter format but she seemed somewhat receptive to change when I e-mailed her (unfortunately probably no change for the fall tournament). I already mentioned HSAPQ and the 4Q questions but it may be more effective for you guys to talk to her directly. The tournament most recently used Avery Enterprises questions, and I'd assume that is the provider she will be using on November 7.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Still hoping to see the rest of the chat.
Jonah Greenthal
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

As a somewhat present participant, I think that's where the chat just kind of petered out. That's just about how these things work online: people say stuff until they don't have anything to say, and then mass silence is accepted as the end of the get together.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

FredMorlan wrote:As a somewhat present participant, I think that's where the chat just kind of petered out. That's just about how these things work online: people say stuff until they don't have anything to say, and then mass silence is accepted as the end of the get together.
Oh, okay; thanks. It seemed rather abrupt, but it's different to read a log than to see it unfold, so it presumably made sense at the time.
Jonah Greenthal
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

There was a little more, but honestly there weren't many people there, and only about 3-4 of them were asking questions (most from myself and Matt Bolinger), then it turned into a discussion of Georgia quizbowl via the HSAPQ packets that have been played there. Not that that wasn't interesting, though.

So, yeah, i would like to see another one of these, but more structured with discussion points predetermined. I have a couple more ideas and questions i'd like to bring up, but not broad enough to spur an entire discussion. So hopefully we can do this again sometime.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Andrew:

Y'all discussed Georgia quiz bowl? What was up?
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Don't really remember, but something to do with trying to promote HSAPQ in Georgia and the rest of the South since apparently it hasn't been as accepted as in other places.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org