ACF Fall Southeast at Georgia Tech - October 31, 2009

Old college threads.
AdamL
Lulu

ACF Fall Southeast at Georgia Tech - October 31, 2009

Post by AdamL »

I'm pleased to announce Georgia Tech will be hosting ACF Fall 2009 on 10/31. To register, please email me at [email protected] with the number of teams, staffers, and buzzers you plan on bringing.

Price:

As per ACF standards, the base fee for teams is $120. Discounts are available as follows:

• $5 off for each [functional] buzzer set.
• $10 off for each staffer.
• $5 for a laptop: only 1 allowed per team.
• $10 off for every 200 miles you traveled (as determined by mapquest).
• $25 for every team that is new to ACF
• $75 off for every team that is new to quizbowl.
• $50 off for high school teams

The minimum fee for a team is $0. For more details on the discounts offered, see http://www.acf-quizbowl.com/documents/p ... b.php#fees

Packets:
Again, as per ACF standards, any team whose members did not play in a collegiate tournament before September 1, 2008 is exempt from having to submit a packet. All other teams are required to submit a packet to play in the tournament. The packet-submission deadlines and corresponding discounts/penalties are as follows:

• Sept 19, 2009: -$50
• Sept 26, 2009: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
• Oct 10, 2009: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
• Oct 17, 2009: +$25
• Oct 24, 2009: +$50
• After Oct. 24, 2009: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

Please send completed packets to [email protected], and have the subject line of “ACF Fall 2009: [Team Name].” See http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packetsub.php to read more about how to distribute and format your packet. Note that failure to follow the formatting guidelines on that page can result in monetary penalties.

Format/Location/Time/etc.:

Teams will be guaranteed 12 games and an ACF-format final if necessary. More specific information to follow once we know how many teams in which divisions are coming. Likewise, specific information about when and where the tournament will take place will be distributed to registered teams by email once we finalize those details.

Again, please email me at [email protected] if you have any questions or would like to register. Hope to see you and your team in Atlanta on Halloween!
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Re: ACF Fall Southeast at Georgia Tech - October 31, 2009

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

South Carolina will have at least 1 team there.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Post by Nuclear Densometer Test »

Southside High is interested in bringing at least 1 team. (maybe 2)
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Fun fact: The "l" comes before the "g" in my last name.
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

We're going to try to make it to this, I'll shoot you an email once I figure out if we will/won't be coming
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

Furman is planning to bring one team, will be submitting a packet by the October 10 deadline, and can bring one buzzer.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Adam,

A few of the Chattahoochee players have expressed an interest to me in going to this. They said they wanted to write a packet too, even though they aren't required to do so. Have you heard anything from them? If so, please email me at school. I will be at the Alpharetta JV tournament that day, so I will not be able to go. Good luck!
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
Quizzical
Lulu

Post by Quizzical »

Northeast Alabama Community College will attend with one team.
Daphne Huntley/NACC
(Northeast Ala. Comm. College)
[email protected]
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Just a quick reminder to teams that the no-penalty deadline for required packets is coming up this Saturday, October 10. This is also the deadline for your packet if you're not required to submit one but want a $25 discount. The deadlines after the 10th are October 17 (+$25) and October 24 (+$50).
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Field update:

Chattahoochee HS
Dunbar HS
Southside HS (2?)
Dorman HS (2)
Furman
Northeast Alabama CC
South Carolina (2)
Snead State/Mark Morris
Centre (2)
Clemson
Vanderbilt
ULL
Alabama (1-2?)
UGA
Emory (?)

I've only received an expression of interest, not an actual registration, from Southside and USC, so if that's outdated, be sure to email me to let me know if you actually are coming and with how many teams. Also, if the teams that registered only within this thread (namely Furman and NACC) could email me at [email protected] so I can get your contact info/email, that'd be great.

Edit: field update as of 10/23
Last edited by AdamL on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Post by Nuclear Densometer Test »

Southside is only bringing 1 team, Adam.

EDIT: We are now able to bring 2 if there is room.
Last edited by Nuclear Densometer Test on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Fun fact: The "l" comes before the "g" in my last name.
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

The field has been updated as of 10/16. One or two teams are still iffy as to whether they can make it or not.

I've sent out an email with information about the tournament to the contacts I had for the teams on that field update. If you didn't receive this email and need it, email me back at [email protected] and I'll send it to you.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
catsasslippers
Lulu

Post by catsasslippers »

As of today Emory sort of has a team! Sign us up for one team (it may end up me playing alone, but I have at least two other people who have said they will come). :party:
"... but not so if you're a structuralist! You're happy. You're french. You're very good looking. Very overpaid." - Sandra Blakely
Nina Charap
Stuyvesant High School '08
Emory University '12
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

catsasslippers wrote:As of today Emory sort of has a team! Sign us up for one team (it may end up me playing alone, but I have at least two other people who have said they will come). :party:
Woo, I may not be the only possible solo team now!! :party:
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Sorry for the late notice, but my teammate informed me she can't get off work (due to it being, like, Halloween) so we won't be able to come.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

I got a call today saying that Hannah's manager had reversed his decision, which should allow us to come after all. I'm still awaiting 100% confirmation on the transportation arrangements, but they appear pretty solid. (Edit: 100% confirmaton on transportation has apparently been received. We should be coming.)
Quinn James
Furman University '10
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

The field has been updated as of 10/23. I don't anticipate any additional registrations, but the field is capped at 21 teams since we only have 10 rooms.

Nina, I sent you an email a few days ago to the address listed in your hsquizbowl profile. If that wasn't the right place to send it, could you provide me an alternate address? Email me at [email protected]. Thanks!
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Is the tournament being held in the Howey building, or has the building changed since you sent out that email?
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Ben, I replied to your email earlier tonight, but just want to confirm this tournament will take place in Howey. All teams should've received a "Final announcement" email from me about a week ago with details about location, parking, etc.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Brief results:

USC A won the tournament after a one-game tiebreaking final with Vanderbilt. Dorman A took 3rd place (along with the Div II prize) and Southside A was 4th.

Full prelim stats are available here: http://results.scobo.net/GeorgiaTech/fall2009_prelims

I'll provide a more detailed writeup once I have a chance to get back to my computer. The playoff and combined stats haven't been finalized and uploaded yet, but I'll try to do that some time tonight.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

I had kept track of my team's stats, and in the last three rounds of the prelims for UGA A Lindsay was given my actual stats, Jordan was given Patrick's points, and then it reversed, so Patrick was given Lindsay's actual stats, and I was given Jordan's stats. I'm pretty sure both me and Patrick would have received book prizes if we hadn't both had three games of a combined 10 points between us, according to the stat report.

EDIT: This is a relative minor issue, and otherwise the tournament ran fine. In particular, I thought the moderators were all totally legit. I would've liked printed standings sheets to be passed out, or rather to have had access to some posted standings (both team and individual) without having to go across the building to a room in which we never played. I think posting standings is just something that should be done as a common courtesy to teams who are eager to know how everyone else is doing, but besides that it reduces errors like the above.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Yeah, I mean, Hannah received my 13/1 against Centre A. I don't think anybody should be reluctant to point out when this sort of thing happens -- after all, who else is likely to know/notice? (Although I did go through and check most of the top individual scorers and didn't find much else that seemed as obviously outlier-ish.) Individual stats aren't that important, but if people find them interesting enough to keep track of them, they should be right.

I totally agree that the tournament in general was well run and well moderated, and also that asking a staffer to hurriedly show you the stats on his computer is not the best way for a tournament to post stats.

(edit: words)
Quinn James
Furman University '10
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Prelim stats: http://results.scobo.net/GeorgiaTech/fall2009_prelims
Playoff stats: http://results.scobo.net/GeorgiaTech/fall2009_playoff
Combined stats: http://results.scobo.net/GeorgiaTech/fall2009_all

The standings as seen in the playoff-only stats correspond to the final overall standings from top to bottom. Congrats to USC A for their 335-330 victory in the tiebreaking final over an impressive Vanderbilt. Some teams left before the playoffs started, so that explains why some teams have fewer than 3 games played.

This was our first time handling a tournament this large, and we certainly could have done a lot of things better, most notably a more efficient way of communicating between moderators (the fact that half our rooms were in essentially a separate part of the building didn't help). I was pretty unhappy with the level of [dis]organization we had at this tournament, and although I was glad to hear generally positive feedback from most teams, there are definitely things we will be changing for our next tournament to provide a better experience.

All rooms that we used were equipped with large projector screens and all rooms were supposed to be displaying the current stats before every round - in fact, the stats WERE being uploaded every round, but it sounds like most rooms weren't displaying them. I'm sorry to all the teams that were wanting stats and had to go to great lengths to get them. I envisioned something even more awesome than printed out stats posted on the walls in a few places (and it would've been, I think), but this plan totally fell through. Next time we'll likely be sticking to something proven.

As for the errors in stats, I'm looking through the scoresheets that I have, and it looks like the problem occurred when teams sat in a different order than the order their names were input in the SBQS rosters (or possibly the scorekeeper in that room writing them down backwards for whatever reason). Of course, this shouldn't have been a problem except that our tournament statkeeper must've been hurriedly entering the numbers and/or didn't match up the names on the scoresheet to the names in SQBS - rather, it would appear he just looked at the tossup/neg totals at the bottom and input them in that order. Wes, given how close both you and Patrick were to the prize cutoff, it's safe to say you should've received prizes. I'm really sorry about that. I'll go back and look through your last 3 prelim rounds and see if I can fix the mistakes (same goes for you, Nathan) but I know that's not much consolation, and given the apparent nature of the mistake that was made, it's very possible other teams might have some errors as well.

Edit: Somehow I accidentally deleted this paragraph when I was editing the stats into this post last night: Thanks go out to Eric and Bryn from USC for helping staff our tournament, and an especially big thanks to Robert Slade for freelance moderating. In a tournament plagued by multiple workers randomly dropping out on me in the middle of the day with no warning (another problem we'll be aiming to fix next time), we almost literally couldn't have done it without you.
Last edited by AdamL on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Stat issues aside, and speaking as an out of town moderator, this tournament seemed to be quite well run. Thanks Georgia Tech.

The field was pretty nuts. There were 5-6 teams that could have easily won the tournament, and there wasn't much drop-off below that.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Crimson Rosella
Wakka

Post by Crimson Rosella »

This was probably the last ACF Fall I'll play at, and I felt like it was one of the most fun tournaments I've ever attended. It was efficiently run and I felt that Adam and the GA Tech staffers faced several hurdles throughout the day in terms of protests and logistics that they resolved very effectively. The inter-round display of stats is an issue, of course, but it sounds like Tech had a good plan for it and it just didn't work out. Also, I'll echo Eric's statement about the field and say that I'm looking forward to spring tournaments and regret not being able to play any more this semester.
Joey Montoya
University of South Carolina 2005-2010
Stanford University 2010-
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

EDIT: No more viral messages.
Last edited by Duncan Idaho on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

We know!
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Ben, for God's sake, next time check with someone else before you do something like this.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

I apologize. I am a bit overzealous. It won't happen again.

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The new bootcamp.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White