ACF Fall Northeast (10/31) @ MIT

Old college threads.
z9R4C3
Lulu

ACF Fall Northeast (10/31) @ MIT

Post by z9R4C3 »

Hi everyone,

This is just a preliminary announcement - fee structure and other relevant information coming soon!

For now, email graceli [at] mit [dot] edu to express interest. Thanks!
Grace from MIT
z9R4C3
Lulu

Re: ACF Fall Northeast (10/31) @ MIT

Post by z9R4C3 »

Price:

As per ACF standards, the base fee for teams is $120. Discounts are available as follows:

• $5 off for each [functional] buzzer set.
• $10 off for each staffer.
• $5 for a laptop: only 1 allowed per team.
• $10 off for every 200 miles you traveled (as determined by mapquest).
• $25 for every team that is new to ACF
• $75 off for every team that is new to quizbowl.
• $50 off for high school teams

The minimum fee for a team is $0. For more details on the discounts offered, see http://www.acf-quizbowl.com/documents/p ... b.php#fees

Packets:
Again, as per ACF standards, any team whose members did not play in a collegiate tournament before September 1, 2008 is exempt from having to submit a packet. All other teams are required to submit a packet to play in the tournament. The packet-submission deadlines and corresponding discounts/penalties are as follows:

• Sept 19, 2009: -$50
• Sept 26, 2009: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
• Oct 10, 2009: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
• Oct 17, 2009: +$25
• Oct 24, 2009: +$50
• After Oct. 24, 2009: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

Please send completed packets to [email protected], and have the subject line of “ACF Fall 2009: [Team Name].” See http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packetsub.php to read more about how to distribute and format your packet. Note that failure to follow the formatting guidelines on that page can result in monetary penalties.

Format/Location/Time/etc.:
Once my room reservations go through, I'll post more information, but it's likely we'll be in buildings 2 & 4 (where we always hold tournaments). Registration will start at 9:00 with the goal of beginning play at 9:30.

Driving/parking/public transport stuff here: http://web.mit.edu/graceli/Public/direc ... tions.html

For questions/concerns and to register, email me at graceli [at] mit [dot] edu. Thanks and see you all soon!
Grace from MIT
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

This tournament will most likely now be run by me with help from Andy Watkins. Grace is going to let me know shortly whether it will just be run out of MIT's rooms or whether we're going to try to relocate to Brandeis. Could Grace/MIT staffers keep me updated on who will help out at the tournament, and could other clubs provide me information on the number of buzzers/staffers/teams they'll be sending? Thanks!
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Brown will be sending two teams, and at least one staffer (me).
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Depending on configuration, Harvard will send one or likely two teams, with somewhere between three and five staffers.
Andrew Watkins
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

We'd like this to stay at MIT if possible, because we're coming up by bus, and as such will be relying on the T to get around.

(and on a personal note, I'm flying home the night of the tournament, which would be a lot easier if I could take the T)

EDIT: and we're bringing two teams, and potentially 1 set of buzzers.
Kunle Demuren
Ocean Lakes (VA) Scholastic Bowl (2003-07)
Princeton College Bowl (2007-)
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Yale is hopefully bringing 2 teams, 1 buzzer, and no moderators.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I let Grace a while back, but we're bringing two teams and a buzzer system.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

I hadn't replied to Grace's request for assistance yet because I was still determining my other commitments for that weekend, but I'll also be on hand, whether at MIT or at Brandeis. I don't know if I'm counted in Andy's 3-5 staffers or if there's some advance prep I can assist with, so let me know.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

So any word on where this will be held?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Not until Grace tells Hannah what Hannah needs to know.
Andrew Watkins
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Am I to assume that if it is held at Brandeis, we'll making a check out to Brandeis and not MIT?
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

You'll be making checks out to Brandeis in any event, as MIT will not be running the event in any real capacity. If Brandeis and MIT decide MIT ought to be reimbursed for provision of rooms, that will be a separate issue they're resolve internally.

(That said, I don't know if the check should be "Brandeis Quizbowl" or "Brandeis QB FUCK YEAH" or whatever, so wait for Hannah's post to go off writing checks and stuff.)
Andrew Watkins
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

OK, but we need to know this soon... I have an appointment on Thursday to use the University's (essentially) credit card for our travel, so I don't have to wait to be reimbursed $500+.
Kunle Demuren
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I wish I could speed up Grace Li's decision to take a smidgen of responsibility for this tournament. If necessary, I will just start declaring that shit is so and it had better be so.
Andrew Watkins
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Hey,

I am in the process of speaking with Hannah and Grace about this. Please don't make arbitrary declarations in the meanwhile. It looks like Brandeis will be running the event, though it's unclear to me as to where exactly this will occur. As soon as Hannah and Grace get back to me, I will update this thread with the pertinent information.

Could teams participating at this site tell me if it would be inconvenient for them to travel to Brandeis? Have teams already reserved hotels or have invested good money in tickets/whatever that they can't afford to see the mirror moved to Brandeis?

Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Thanks, Gautam. I was only operating on the level of a fallback if contact with Grace couldn't be made. Glad it has been.
Andrew Watkins
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

It makes no difference to us where it is held
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hunter is bringing one team and two buzzers.

We would rather it be held at MIT; we've already made hotel reservations.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

It would be incredibly inconvenient for us if the tournament were moved to Brandeis, since because of some complicated reasons, we aren't bringing a motor vehicle like we normally would, and are instead taking the BoltBus and staying at a hotel close to a T stop, and relying on the T to get everywhere. I am aware that the commuter rail goes to Brandeis, but there is one train in the morning, and if travel disaster happens, we wouldn't get there until just before noon. Also, as I hinted at earlier in the thread, I am flying directly home from Boston at 7:25 PM on the 31st, and the only train that gets me to Logan in time leaves at 3:44 (obviously I would have planned to fly home from Newark when we got back, but I assumed that an ACF Fall site had a reasonable chance of not moving once announced).

Reader's Digest version: we'll make it work if we have to, but we would REALLY (and I REALLY X 1000) like this to stay somewhere in the Boston metropolitan area that has regular T access.
Kunle Demuren
Yuna

I'm waiting to hear back from Grace via Gautam; I'm also with the camp who'd rather it be held at MIT, since I don't want to wrestle our nameless room reservation staff all through the night and then have a name and nation conferred on me. Or something.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'll throw my hat in the ring for the side that wants this held at MIT. We're bringing people up by public transit and MIT is far more accessible this way than Brandeis.
Jerry Vinokurov
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

If I had to pick one NE campus to have to defend in a siege, Brandeis would be a serious contender. Its remote location and hilltop placement would be good for that. But if I had to pick one NE campus to moderate a tournament at, Brandeis would be quite low on the list.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Yuna

Whig's Boson wrote:If I had to pick one NE campus to have to defend in a siege, Brandeis would be a serious contender. Its remote location and hilltop placement would be good for that.
Plus, we have a castle!

I talked to Grace last night, and she confirmed that the tournament is being held at MIT, so... good!
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Not That Kind of Christian!! wrote: I talked to Grace last night, and she confirmed that the tournament is being held at MIT, so... good!
This is indeed happening.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Whig's Boson wrote:If I had to pick one NE campus to have to defend in a siege, Brandeis would be a serious contender. Its remote location and hilltop placement would be good for that. But if I had to pick one NE campus to moderate a tournament at, Brandeis would be quite low on the list.
Also, there's a pond and a stream on campus, which should be very useful in a seige.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Auron

There's a swamp too, right? I can re-create Subotai's crushing victory at the Battle of Mohi.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Kellenberg Mem. HS will attempt its first ACF. One team, 3-4 buzzers, 0 moderators.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

BroNi wrote:Kellenberg Mem. HS will attempt its first ACF. One team, 3-4 buzzers, 0 moderators.
That's great news! I hope you have fun.
Andrew Watkins
Yuna

Field update!

RPI: 2 teams
Princeton: 2 teams
Columbia: 3 teams
Yale: 3 teams
Dartmouth: 2 teams
Kellenberg: 1 team
Hunter HS: 1 team
Brown: 2 teams
Harvard: 2 teams
Brandeis: 1 team
NYU: 2 teams
Hunter College: 1 team
Cornell: 2 teams

And yes, good luck to Kellenberg at your first ACF event!

In terms of payment information, as Andy insinuated above, all checks should be made out to Brandeis Quiz Bowl and, if not given to me at the tournament, sent to Hannah L. Kirsch at MB #2736, 415 South Street, Waltham, MA 02454.
Last edited by Not That Kind of Christian!! on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

Yuna

Updates:

1. This tournament will now start at NINE A.M., not 9:30 a.m.
2. We have buzzers out the wazoo (at least 17), but a dearth of staffers (about 5 team-dedicated, with perhaps up to 3 more who are unaffiliated with teams). If there are any teams or unaffiliated souls who might want to remedy this, please let me know.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Is this still taking place in buildings 2 and 4? (I assume this was where NAQT SCT was held last year...)
Yuna

aarcoh wrote:Is this still taking place in buildings 2 and 4? (I assume this was where NAQT SCT was held last year...)
Yes, it is. I'll let people know later in the week what the meeting room will be.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

Auron

Since I guess I've been conscripted to moderate this tournament, I've gone ahead and procured a Niels Bohr costume. I only hope that it will not violate Matt Weiner's costume policies for this event.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Whig's Boson wrote:Since I guess I've been conscripted to moderate this tournament, I've gone ahead and procured a Niels Bohr costume. I only hope that it will not violate Matt Weiner's costume policies for this event.
You're moderating? Great. That means we have you, me, Ted, Dallas, Katy, and Dennis Loo. Whee!
Andrew Watkins
Yuna

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Whig's Boson wrote:Since I guess I've been conscripted to moderate this tournament, I've gone ahead and procured a Niels Bohr costume. I only hope that it will not violate Matt Weiner's costume policies for this event.
You're moderating? Great. That means we have you, me, Ted, Dallas, Katy, and Dennis Loo. Whee!
Harvard is saving me from having to plead for staff, meaning that you people can wear whatever costumes you want. Mostly.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:You're moderating? Great. That means we have you, me, Ted, Dallas, Katy, and Dennis Loo. Whee!
I too will be moderating.
Jerry Vinokurov
Yuna

grapesmoker wrote:
Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:You're moderating? Great. That means we have you, me, Ted, Dallas, Katy, and Dennis Loo. Whee!
I too will be moderating.
Great! That being said, we're still going to need more staffers, especially given that Cornell registered two teams today. Teams, please let me know if you can bring anyone.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

I have a special treat in store for you, Andy Watkins.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

The Gold Gringo wrote:I have a special treat in store for you, Andy Watkins.
This ought to be good.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Yuna

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
The Gold Gringo wrote:I have a special treat in store for you, Andy Watkins.
This ought to be good.
But hopefully not too good.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hey, MIT, I know it's real hard to, like, staff your own tournament and whatnot, but you could at least investigate which lots on your campus are open for parking in. You know, for those of us who have farther to travel than just fucking rolling out of bed in the morning.
Jerry Vinokurov
byoung
Lulu

Post by byoung »

Preliminary prelim stats, through round 10 of 13. A few rooms are starting to finish round 11. This link will go to full prelims stats once those are all in.

Edited 6:55 pm EDT: Stats updated through round 13 (end of prelims). Playoffs now ongoing; playoff and combined stats to follow later tonight.
Brian Young, Harvard stats fiend
Yuna

Quick note: Harvard D is for Dallas won the tournament. Thanks to everyone, particularly staffers, for helping this go smoothly, and thanks to Gautam et al for the questions!
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Hey, I want to thank a few people. First, Hannah ran a tournament that was announced to start at 9:00am and that started at 9:10am solely because two moderators arrived a round late and bye staffers who filled in needed to be given packets. (And the only time I recall looking at my watch, we had finished twelve rounds and it was before 5:30pm. That's pretty amazing in these circles! Second, a lot of MIT freshmen showed up and staffed this tournament, which is awesome, and I remain hopeful that MIT will have a culture in the future that involves running one's tournaments instead of declaring with ten days to go that you've decided not to (and instead of shouting that of course you have no idea where parking is, how dare you ask? and yes, you fool, I am buying water bottles for everyone and you are paying for it!). A lot of Harvard people came and staffed too, and I am thankful that they did so--also to Dallas for playing this tournament; he and I did so because the alternative was a schedule that gave ten games in twelve rounds, much sadder than twelve in thirteen.

I played teams of widely ranging experiences and skill levels; some new faces, some old. The fact that everyone stayed through the round robin and only a couple of teams left afterwards gives me great hope for the northeast.
Andrew Watkins
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

I concur; although I had to leave early to fly home, awesome job, especially for a tournament that had much potential to go down in flames just a few weeks ago. It seemed that our freshmen that came were really enjoying themselves. Although, expanding sort of on what Andy said, (and perhaps this is for the discussion section) how on earth can a team bid for a tournament as big and important as ACF Fall, and suddenly decide that they can't host? Imagine if MIT were not in a city with other colleges with quizbowl who could step in to save the day... this could have been a disaster.

Note: I'm pretty sure the rest of my teammates had to leave after the prelims to catch the last possible BoltBus back to NY, sorry, it couldn't be avoided.

EDIT: not complimentary enough
Kunle Demuren
Yuna

olsb25 wrote:Note: I'm pretty sure the rest of my teammates had to leave after the prelims to catch the last possible BoltBus back to NY, sorry, it couldn't be avoided.
Nah, it's fine; you warned me beforehand about your travel plans, and we had set up the cross-bracket games in order to accommodate people's travel plans.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Why was this tournament so understaffed from MIT people?

To be quite frank, I was quite unhappy about having to read when I was planning on playing the questions. I wasn't really notified of this until 1 hour before we had to leave Ithaca, after Hannah mentioned some last minute reader dropouts. Despite my efforts, I couldn't get out of any of the 15 rounds to play with my teammates.

I had to drive 12 hours and around 700 miles, pay hotel and tournament fees, and in the end never got to play any questions. Is it too much to ask for some MIT quizbowlers to spend even half of their day to walk a couple hundred feet and staff this tournament?
Barry
Cornell
ak47
Lulu

Post by ak47 »

I had to drive 12 hours and around 700 miles, pay hotel and tournament fees, and in the end never got to play any questions. Is it too much to ask for some MIT quizbowlers to spend even half of their day to walk a couple hundred feet and staff this tournament?
Sorry, Barry. That does sincerely suck, and you're right: it isn't too much to ask for some MIT quizbowlers to help staff a tournament. But I mean, what MIT quizbowlers? MIT quizbowl functionally consists of 5-6 people (if we're going to measure participation by going to practice/tourneys as of late)--most of whom are freshmen, and all those people showed up today. So active MIT quizbowl truly contributed as much as it could to this tournament.

Obviously though, those contributions were not sufficient to merit a bid for a prominent tournament like ACF Fall. I wasn't involved in the bidding process in any way, but it's clear that until the team grows and recruits more dedicated members, MIT can't be a viable host for these extremely important tourneys.

Rest assured that the team will do our best to rectify these problems, and hopefully MIT will once again be able to provide you guys with a solidly hosted tournament in the future.
Anurag Kashyap
Rancho Bernardo '09
MIT '13
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Wow, I didn't know that was the state of MIT quizbowl; I thought they still had a relatively decent sized club. Thanks to those MIT members that did read.

I really didn't mind reading, I just would have preferred playing a round or two.
Barry
Cornell