FIST Mirror (11/15/09) at Maryland

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

FIST Mirror (11/15/09) at Maryland

Post by DumbJaques »

Maryland will be hosting a mirror of Ryan Westbrook's FIST (original announcement here) on Sunday, November 15, 2009. It will be paired with this year's Terrapin Invitational Tournament, which will be run on Saturday. Note that we will also be running two side events during the weekend: Walden III (social science and philosophy) and RMPfest II.

This is an open tournament. Teams are NOT required to submit packets for this mirror, which will be running a week later than other sites. More details will follow.

EDIT:

The cost for this tournament is as follows, per Westbrook's no-penalty guideline:

Base Fee: $120
Buzzer System: -$5
Moderator: -$10 (can be applied from TIT for FIST, or for TIT from FIST)
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: FIST Mirror (11/15/09) at Maryland

Post by Matt Weiner »

Chris/Ryan: Can I get a discount for submitting a packet if I'm playing at the Maryland site?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I say yes, I like packets. Feel free to barter with me in the IRC or whereever regarding your plans.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Hey!

1) Matt, email us re: when your packet is coming in.
2) Who besides Matt is playing this tournament?
2a) If you are not Matt and are playing, when are we getting your packet?
Andrew Watkins
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Note - Andy, I told people playing at this tourney they didn't have to submit packets. So the correct answer to 2A is "never".

Unless you wanna freelance a little, in which case, cool - let me know really fast.

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

No Rules Westbrook wrote:Note - Andy, I told people playing at this tourney they didn't have to submit packets. So the correct answer to 2A is "never".

Unless you wanna freelance a little, in which case, cool - let me know really fast.
You sly fox, you!

I suggest freelancing.
Andrew Watkins
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I remain interested in who's planning on playing this event, however!

Field:

Matt Weiner + VCU
Globs of Wax or something to that effect (Jonathan Magin)
Maryland folks
GW
CMU
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I will play, perhaps under the team name "How is it that I, a most temperate eater, still wax rotund and globular?" (found while looking through microfilm of a 1914 issue of Harper's Weekly, in an article entitled "Some Fallacies About Fat.")
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

magin wrote:I will play, perhaps under the team name "How is it that I, a most temperate eater, still wax rotund and globular?" (found while looking through microfilm of a 1914 issue of Harper's Weekly, in an article entitled "Some Fallacies About Fat.")
awesome
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

magin wrote:How is it that I, a most temperate eater, still wax rotund and globular?
Answer: _you are David Hume_
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

grapesmoker wrote:
magin wrote:How is it that I, a most temperate eater, still wax rotund and globular?
Answer: _YOUR ARE David Hume_
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I will play, perhaps under the team name "How is it that I, a most temperate eater, still wax rotund and globular?" (found while looking through microfilm of a 1914 issue of Harper's Weekly, in an article entitled "Some Fallacies About Fat.")
Are you going to be playing (or staffing) the TIT/Illinois Open event on Saturday?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I will staff if there is no game that day in my ultimate frisbee fall league. If there is a game, I might come play a side tournament Saturday night (assuming there will be one).
Jonathan Magin

DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Field bump. I know at least a few more people are planning to play this, but I haven't gotten any other official registrations, so send em in.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, help me make the very most of my two-minute editing break from TIT by helping me update the field. Currently, I've got the same group as last update, consisting of:

Matt Weiner + VCU
Globs of Wax or something to that effect (Jonathan Magin)
Maryland House 1-3
GW
CMU

Again, I think some people confirmed in person during Fall, but I just don't remember, so shoot my an email or post here.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Where should I send the packet set to, Chris?

Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

I'd like to propose a draft if the field size doesn't improve (I'm fairly certain Chris already knows this, but "CMU" is me playing solo).
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Did this happen?

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

[01:53] <@WorstQEvr> my team won (8-1), losing one game to jonathan's team (6-3), who finished second, losing their other two games to us and one to the chris ray/trevor davis team (4-5), who also swept the team composed of gwu + special guests
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

01:53] <@WorstQEvr> my team won (8-1), losing one game to jonathan's team (6-3), who finished second, losing their other two games to us and one to the chris ray/trevor davis team (4-5), who also swept the team composed of gwu + special guests
Actually, I think we ended up winning twice against Jonathan, so I guess both our team and Jonathan's team went 5-4, but honestly I'm really not sure. I'm going to enter stats for this tonight/tomorrow and have them up ASAP, though.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I've got stats all entered but I'm missing two games (the Magin win over VCU, and one of Jonathan's games vs. GW). I emailed Jonathan about it, but if anyone else has those stats I'll enter them if you can send them. Otherwise I'll just upload stats as-is later tonight. RMPFest will be up and posted in this thread by tomorrow or sooner, hopefully.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I didn't bring a notebook to FIST, so I could reconstruct the tossup numbers for those games, but likely not the bonuses.

Also, as a Maryland alumni, I was disappointed in the slipshod running of FIST. There was no dedicated TD, the house moderators constantly rotated (besides Chris, who I believe didn't moderate), and, like Terrapin, there were no prizes; as Matt said, despite only running two rooms, rounds took nearly an hour to run. I (perhaps mistakenly) thought Maryland's team had experienced people who could run a solid tournament, and I hope they get their act together for future tournaments.

I similarly was annoyed that Terrapin took until 9 PM, at least, to finish the playoffs, causing the TD to move RMPFest to Sunday, thus inconveniencing both people who came to play RMPFest Saturday night and teams like Penn who wanted to play RMPFest but had to return after Saturday. I don't blame the newer players on Maryland, but I expect a team with experienced quizbowlers to run tournaments much less inefficiently.
Jonathan Magin

DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I similarly was annoyed that Terrapin took until 9 PM, at least, to finish the playoffs, causing the TD to move RMPFest to Sunday, thus inconveniencing both people who came to play RMPFest Saturday night and teams like Penn who wanted to play RMPFest but had to return after Saturday. I don't blame the newer players on Maryland, but I expect a team with experienced quizbowlers to run tournaments much less inefficiently.
Everything you said about FIST is right (except the bit about nobody on Maryland being able to run a solid tournament, something you yourself have witnessed controverting evidence of), but as someone who told me they would be staffing TIT and then simply didn't show up, I'd say you lose your right to complain about how late it ran. A big issue with TIT, as I mentioned, was teams not arriving until almost 10 am, and the drawn-out protest issue. If there are any other reasons that people think TIT ran behind, I'd really like to get constructive feedback on how they could be improved - I didn't have much of a hand in that stuff this year, but (or perhaps because of that) I'm not seeing any specific areas where different decisions should have been made. Please let us know.
I didn't bring a notebook to FIST, so I could reconstruct the tossup numbers for those games, but likely not the bonuses.
Well, I think we can figure out the final scores actually, so if you could email those to me we should be good.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

DumbJaques wrote:
Everything you said about FIST is right (except the bit about nobody on Maryland being able to run a solid tournament, something you yourself have witnessed controverting evidence of), but as someone who told me they would be staffing TIT and then simply didn't show up, I'd say you lose your right to complain about how late it ran.
This is not correct; I said that I would staff Terrapin if I didn't have a conflict (in this case, the tournament in my local frisbee league), and was never contacted about staffing. As it turns out, I did have that conflict, and even so, showed up after it finished and moderated several games.

Also, I'm willing to believe that someone on Maryland can run a solid tournament, but I saw no evidence for that at Terrapin or FIST. Maryland is a great place to host tournaments for many reasons (central location in the Mid-Atlantic; accessibility from airports/public transportation; a number of alumni/experienced staffers in the local area), but all of that is less important than ensuring that rounds take place reasonably quickly, having enough good moderators (which usually means having members of the hosting team staff instead of play), posting stats promptly, and even having some prizes. Both Terrapin and FIST did not do those four things, which disappointed me and will hopefully be corrected at the next tournament Maryland hosts.
Jonathan Magin

Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

Hey, could we get stats for this at some point (even if they are missing a couple of games)?
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Ok, I had been waiting on stats from Magin, but I think I misinterpreted his post. Here's everything minus the 2 Magin games (wins vs. VCU and GW); those games are listed as forfeits. I'm awfully sorry about that, and I will continue to try to find those games if Jonathan definitely doesn't have them.

Stats.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE