Pennsylvania 2009-2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Pennsylvania 2009-2010

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

We might as well have one of these.

State College: the best team in the state by a huge, huge margin. Not much else needs to be said. Graham is probably the best player in the state, too. I can't see any other PA team getting anywhere near a team of Graham/Monica/Erik/Cristoph. Presumably, a very strong B team too. Who's still around on the B team?

Shady Side: I graduated and Dr. Malone is on sabbatical, so I have no idea how active they'll be. I'd certainly like for them to travel and play a lot. I think that Pat and Campbell should really be able to break out this year, what with me not hogging the tossups. Maggie has the potential to be a pretty solid player if she works at it. They'll be solid on NAQT stuff, if nothing else.

North Allegheny: I have no idea who graduated. They'll be good, because they always are. Their coach (whose name I can't recall at the moment) seems to know what he's doing. Hopefully, they'll travel out of Pittsburgh this year.

Moravian: I know absolutely nothing about this team. They were once good? They may still be good?

Southern Fulton: They were at HSNCT. Presumably no where to go but up.

Bridgeport: surprisingly good early in the year. Yet another team I know very little about.

I guess this just revealed my general ignorance, but that's not that big of a deal. SC will be the class of the field by a huge amount. Hopefully, some more teams from the Lehigh Valley will play good stuff.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Pennsylvania 2009-2010

Post by AKKOLADE »

Terrible Shorts Depot wrote:Moravian: I know absolutely nothing about this team. They were once good? They may still be good?

Bridgeport: surprisingly good early in the year. Yet another team I know very little about.
According to my research, Moravian returns Gordon from the HSNCT team. He was their highest scorer by a small margin. They lose their #2 and #3 scorers, though.

If the Bridgeport you refer to went to a tournament in Pittsburgh, then that would be a West Virginia team.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Our third player, incidentally, is David. Eric is his older brother.

Moravian beat a team of consisting of Ben and Christoph, as well as one of me and Monica at the Pennsylvania NAQT championships last year. I don't remember player specific knowledge, but they had a good grasp of geography, as well as history.

Hollidaysburg has been known to travel in the past, but their entire team graduated, so it'll have to be seen if they can remain a (Pennsylvania) threat.

I've heard excellent things about Elizabethtown, as well.

EDIT Oh yeah, and as of now, our B team is unknown. Last years team was all seniors and sophomores, and now the seniors are gone and the sophomores on the A team. I'm sure they'll end up being decent, but maybe not a threat on the same level that our B teams have been in the past.
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

FredMorlan wrote:
Terrible Shorts Depot wrote:Moravian: I know absolutely nothing about this team. They were once good? They may still be good?

According to my research, Moravian returns Gordon from the HSNCT team. He was their highest scorer by a small margin. They lose their #2 and #3 scorers, though.

If the Bridgeport you refer to went to a tournament in Pittsburgh, then that would be a West Virginia team.
Oh, I screwed this up. I think I meant to talk about Hollidaysburg. They had one excellent player. Also, Brookville wasn't bad.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Charlie, do you see Shady Side being very active this year? With us being so close to Pittsburgh, we will probably travel to as many Pittsburgh tournaments as we can.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Inkana7 wrote:Charlie, do you see Shady Side being very active this year? With us being so close to Pittsburgh, we will probably travel to as many Pittsburgh tournaments as we can.
I really don't know. As mentioned above, our sponsor is on sabbatical, which could be a bit of an impediment, but, from talking to Pat et al., it appears that the team wants to do well. I'm sure that they'll play anything that CMU or Pitt hosts, but beyond that, I'm not sure. I've been meaning to talk to Pat, so I should do that. Where exactly in OH is South Range?
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Terrible Shorts Depot wrote:
Inkana7 wrote:Charlie, do you see Shady Side being very active this year? With us being so close to Pittsburgh, we will probably travel to as many Pittsburgh tournaments as we can.
I really don't know. As mentioned above, our sponsor is on sabbatical, which could be a bit of an impediment, but, from talking to Pat et al., it appears that the team wants to do well. I'm sure that they'll play anything that CMU or Pitt hosts, but beyond that, I'm not sure. I've been meaning to talk to Pat, so I should do that. Where exactly in OH is South Range?
We're about an hour and half, maybe less, away, near Youngstown, Ohio.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

I wish I could see more of North Allegheny. In the last few years we've been to Pittsburgh area tournaments, they and Shady Side have been the only Pennsylvania teams I've seen that have had potential. If they traveled more...
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
slimg
Lulu

Post by slimg »

Moravian had our first practice yesterday. We return two from last year's HSNCT team. We're still not sure about our two other spots, but we had a nice turnout at practice and we hope to find two or more people to fill those spots. We will probably continue to play more in the NJ/NY area this season, but we look forward to seeing our PA brethren around.
Gordon McCambridge: Moravian Academy-Captain
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Gordon,

We were very impressed with your team's abilities and sportsmanship. If your supporting cast can develop throughout the year, you will be Captaining a very dangerous and talented team, and we hope you get on the circuit to give your squad a chance to develop under tournament circumstances. And could you do me a favor while you are at it? Could you tell your Assistant Coach who accompanied you at Princeton that UVa has its sights set on William & Mary for next year's gridiron slugfest? The Cavaliers will not be embarrassed again. WELL---MAYBE. :lol:

(Edited for concision.)
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
nurgles_herald
Lulu

Post by nurgles_herald »

State College B is very beatable. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, there are only like 12 people at State College practices whenever I decide to drop in. Of course, State College A is still a monstrosity, but there's not a whole lot of depth. Right now, at least.

I STILL LOVE YOU STATE COLLEGE B PEOPLE.
Walker Yeatman, State College alumnus
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

nurgles_herald wrote:State College B is very beatable. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, there are only like 12 people at State College practices whenever I decide to drop in. Of course, State College A is still a monstrosity, but there's not a whole lot of depth. Right now, at least.

I STILL LOVE YOU STATE COLLEGE B PEOPLE.
Only! Only?!

12 people at practices is, really, a lot. If they have 12 people coming you most certainly cannot say that there is no depth. Yes, they may not have another Graham or David, or Christoph ready to plug in whenever, but really, to expect them to is kind of absurd. Also, given the amount of college tournaments that B team is playing, they will get very good very quick.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

I'll bet out B team is better than your B team Walker... you're on for ACF Fall
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Does anyone have contact info for Moravian or NA's team? I want to see if they'll come to HFT, or else only State College will be repping PA.
Andrew Watkins
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Dan Humphrey from Princeton should have Moravian's contact info, since Moravian participated in PHSAT in early October. Also, Gordon McCambridge, Moravian's Captain, posted upthread, so perhaps knowlege of his name and a phone call to Moravian could also do the job.

Edit: For concision.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
slimg
Lulu

Post by slimg »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Does anyone have contact info for Moravian?
You can email me at [email protected], or facebook message me (Gordon McCambridge @ Moravian Academy '11).
Gordon McCambridge: Moravian Academy-Captain
nurgles_herald
Lulu

Post by nurgles_herald »

TheKingInYellow wrote:I'll bet out B team is better than your B team Walker... you're on for ACF Fall
I LOVE YOU GRAHAM.

It sounds like we won't have a B team. It's going to be me and Zydney, basically. Kicking ass and taking names. Expect me to look a little off the deep end.
Walker Yeatman, State College alumnus
Ted
Lulu

Post by Ted »

FredMorlan wrote:Moravian returns Gordon from the HSNCT team.
Gordon is the first player mentioned on this forum that I have actually met. I believe he averaged 80 ppg on tossups, and scored 350 out of the 400 or so points against us in the finals round of the Penn tourney. (We got crushed) They were 3-0 but had to leave early. He is definitely someone to watch out for individually.
Ted Barrett
Moorestown Friends '12

"I'm a big believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work, the more I have of it"
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

Manheim Township wins 18th Conestoga Valley Quiz Bowl
Manheim Township, the team Cumberland Valley beat the last two years, won back the title, besting the host school, Conestoga Valley, 175 to 40.

Manheim Township and West Chester East were tied at the end of their round and went into overtime. Junior Andrew Nadig saved the day when he properly spelled schizophrenia.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Southern Fulton went to RAWR and did not do well.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Hello there Pennsylvania. Have i got a tournament for you!

You should drive on down to Camden, Delaware (no not Camden, New Jersey! you won't get shot in this Camden!) to the Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl at CRHS! We're less than 60 miles south of the DE/PA border.

See our thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8016

There are already teams from New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Delaware coming, and a few more possibly states committed, so we've got an array of teams that should be playing on HSAPQ set #11 (which i don't think is being offered anywhere else in the Northeast or MidAtlantic, so it's your only chance to play it!).

Come on down and play some good ACF-format quizbowl in central Delaware!
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org