Hey let's talk about OpenOffice

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Hey let's talk about OpenOffice

Post by Matt Weiner »

I don't want to derail the ACF Fall thread with this, nor do I want this to turn into a generalized computer debate. This isn't about Windows, OSX, or Linux in the abstract, nor is it about what you use for your academic or personal needs. I'm talking solely about quizbowl demands here:

I have had a sequence of very bad experiences with trying to use OpenOffice and files modified by OpenOffice for quizbowl purposes. The files it exports often can't be opened at all, or without severe garbling, by other programs; this has directly led to people failing to give me questions on time, because they are incapable of sending them to me in a format I can read (on any version of Word or Google Docs or anything else). It doesn't support page breaks, which are put into final packets, such as those sent to ACF Fall hosts, for a reason. It has many instabilities which make me completely unsurprised to hear that it's scrolling through pages without being told to by the user, or so on.

I did have two readers use OpenOffice at the VCU Fall site with no apparent problems. It doesn't fail 100% of the time. But it seems to be markedly worse at the basic quizbowl-related things that you would use such a program for (submitting questions, and reading questions) in terms of the percentage of failures out of all attempts. In terms of submitting questions, you better be able to export a usable .doc or .rtf file, and take care of the conversions and corrections on your end if something goes wrong, rather than passing your computer troubles on to me. For reading, either we need to make sure we have computers with Word available as backups, or we can start sending out packets as PDFs (the latter being a more truly universal format that supports everything we currently use .doc files for, including password-protection, I think it might be the way go to).

Again, I'm going empirically here regarding what I've seen in quizbowl. I don't care about your ideological opinions about why Bill Gates/Steve Jobs/Richard Stallman are Jesus/Satan. Getting into those things will be totally unproductive here and I urge people to avoid them and focus on the question at hand, which is how to avoid causing problems with editing and reading questions given the multitude of OSes and programs that people in qb use.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Hey let's talk about OpenOffice

Post by AKKOLADE »

Microsoft-created files being opened in OpenOffice is, typically, not an issue.

OpenOffice-created files being opened in Microsoft Word/Excel/etc usually leads to terrible formatting, in my experience.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Matt Weiner wrote:
I did have two readers use OpenOffice at the VCU Fall site with no apparent problems. It doesn't fail 100% of the time. But it seems to be markedly worse at the basic quizbowl-related things that you would use such a program for (submitting questions, and reading questions) in terms of the percentage of failures out of all attempts. In terms of submitting questions, you better be able to export a usable .doc or .rtf file, and take care of the conversions and corrections on your end if something goes wrong, rather than passing your computer troubles on to me. For reading, either we need to make sure we have computers with Word available as backups, or we can start sending out packets as PDFs (the latter being a more truly universal format that supports everything we currently use .doc files for, including password-protection, I think it might be the way go to).
Just to clarify this, my computer has a program a friend of mine recommended called NeoOffice. I've never used OpenOffice, so I know nothing about it, but NeoOffice recognizes page breaks, as far as I can tell, and saves in .rtf or .doc just fine.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

PDF PDF PDF
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:
Just to clarify this, my computer has a program a friend of mine recommended called NeoOffice. I've never used OpenOffice, so I know nothing about it, but NeoOffice recognizes page breaks, as far as I can tell, and saves in .rtf or .doc just fine.
NeoOffice is actually based on OpenOffice but with better OSX integration.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

jonah wrote:PDF PDF PDF
winner winner chicken dinner
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

If people have problems with improper page breaks when opening word files in open office, try changing the "Add spaces before paragraph and tables" and "Do not add leading between lines of text" options under compatibility.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Because of the software Harvard has in its clusters (and the fact that for some reason the Linux computers don't always have working Mathematica), I frequently find myself opening OpenOffice files in Office. I have encountered a problem once, and that was in using a complicated template for a JACS paper that used all manner of features that a packet never will.

I guess I might have the best luck in the world, but to me, five hundred datapoints can't be too wrong.

I continue to support PDF (or ps fools) for obvious reasons.
Andrew Watkins
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

I, too, have had no problems with OpenOffice, but I am also of the opinion that every tournament should have each round in .doc and .pdf.

Also, no Calibri.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Sir Thopas wrote:I, too, have had no problems with OpenOffice, but I am also of the opinion that every tournament should have each round in .doc and .pdf.

Also, no Calibri.
I give this post an A-. A would suggest Gentium.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Not That Kind of Christian!! wrote:
Sir Thopas wrote:I, too, have had no problems with OpenOffice, but I am also of the opinion that every tournament should have each round in .doc and .pdf.

Also, no Calibri.
I give this post an A-. A would suggest Gentium.
Can't be that pushy about it, though.

...yet
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

OpenOffice does tend to be less than ideal for quizbowl. The most annoying thing that I've run into is that when you scroll through a document using the down arrow key, it jumps by about 4 lines every time you hit the bottom of the screen, as opposed to going line by line. This can be very annoying when you're trying to read questions without revealing the answer lines.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

lchen wrote:OpenOffice does tend to be less than ideal for quizbowl. The most annoying thing that I've run into is that when you scroll through a document using the down arrow key, it jumps by about 4 lines every time you hit the bottom of the screen, as opposed to going line by line. This can be very annoying when you're trying to read questions without revealing the answer lines.
Much of my archive is text, for space reasons and for that reason.
Andrew Watkins
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

lchen wrote:OpenOffice does tend to be less than ideal for quizbowl. The most annoying thing that I've run into is that when you scroll through a document using the down arrow key, it jumps by about 4 lines every time you hit the bottom of the screen, as opposed to going line by line. This can be very annoying when you're trying to read questions without revealing the answer lines.
Yeah, I was just telling some people this very thing. Thanks for bringing it up in this thread!
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I have never successfully opened an OpenOffice or OpenOffice-created file in Word 07.

EDIT: and I'd be totally fine with PDFs, as long as I never have to see Computer Modern.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

you can control what file format Open Office produces (drop down menu under save as)
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

jpn wrote:you can control what file format Open Office produces (drop down menu under save as)
Once I started using Word97 format when I saved my Open Office files, people have had no trouble opening them. I can't speak as to whether all the desired functions are there. Unfortunately, saving in pdf format isn't available as one of the options.

I've read using Open Office on my laptop with little issue.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Howard wrote:Once I started using Word97 format when I saved my Open Office files, people have had no trouble opening them. I can't speak as to whether all the desired functions are there. Unfortunately, saving in pdf format isn't available as one of the options.

I've read using Open Office on my laptop with little issue.
I can't speak much to reading off of laptops (4 games' experience that I can recall), but OpenOffice (at least my version) has an Export as PDF option under File. It's not available in the Save As dialog, though it is in the general Export dialog. (No option for PostScript, though.)

Maybe we should just go to reading plain text files with answers _underlined like this_. As Andy says, it'd save space in archives.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I have a related question:

I installed OpenOffice for Mac OS X on my MacBook Pro recently. The only reason I installed it was to help Weiner and Sorice test whether ACF Fall packets worked on Mac OS X Open Office. To my horror, the program ended up making itself the default application for DOC files on my computer. It never asked me for permission to do this.

How do I make MS Word once again the default? Right now, if I want to open a DOC file, I have to drag it onto the MS Word icon in my dock, which is annoying.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

My best guess would be to two-finger click on any .doc file, go to "open with", click on other, and find microsoft word in your applications folder, and check the always open with button. Let me know if this works.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Auron

dinoian wrote:My best guess would be to two-finger click on any .doc file, go to "open with", click on other, and find microsoft word in your applications folder, and check the always open with button. Let me know if this works.
This works only on a document-by-document basis.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I have never had the problems that people are describing with OpenOffice, and I have not done anything special; just install and use. You can just save all your files in Word 97 format and you'll never have trouble porting them.

I'll jump on the bandwagon call for PDFs though, since this should easily resolve any compatibility issues.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Whig's Boson wrote:
dinoian wrote:My best guess would be to two-finger click on any .doc file, go to "open with", click on other, and find microsoft word in your applications folder, and check the always open with button. Let me know if this works.
If you open the Get Info dialog, where you can change the "open with" setting I believe there is a "Change All" button. (It's been a while since I heavily used a Mac so I could be wrong)
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

That looks like it should work.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Auron

Jeremy Gibbs Phase Rule wrote:
Whig's Boson wrote:
If you open the Get Info dialog, where you can change the "open with" setting I believe there is a "Change All" button. (It's been a while since I heavily used a Mac so I could be wrong)
This works, thanks. I wonder if OpenOffice will attempt to change this setting every time I open it, however...
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

You could probably just uninstall it now that you've got your settings back.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Well, I use open office for everything I do, and have never had any tournament-related problems (nor, to my knowledge, did anyone reading TIT packets last year). The issue, as Jerry says, is that you just have to save your files in the 07 office format. It can be set as a default if you're not in the habit. There is literally nothing inherent about open office that causes any of these problems, it's all about the person who saves the file doing so in the correct format.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

DumbJaques wrote:Well, I use open office for everything I do, and have never had any tournament-related problems (nor, to my knowledge, did anyone reading TIT packets last year). The issue, as Jerry says, is that you just have to save your files in the 07 office format. It can be set as a default if you're not in the habit. There is literally nothing inherent about open office that causes any of these problems, it's all about the person who saves the file doing so in the correct format.
It's the 97/2000/XP format that works, so far as I can tell.
Andrew Watkins
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

I use OpenOffice all the time and as long as I save my files as .DOC files when I know they're going to be edited by somebody else, I'm fine.
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

Just adding another voice to the growing "it's not OpenOffice, it's people using OpenOffice stupidly" consensus. It's the only office suite on my main notebook, and the school computers I use to print only run MS Office, and I've not yet had a serious problem in the transfer (occasional formatting issues really don't concern me). All Fall packets opened, copied and ran fine on my laptop, though I would have preferred PDFs (and did use the breaks between games to convert packets - using handy-dandy Open Office tools! - when I had the time).
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Hopping on this train as well; I had zero issues using OpenOffice.org to read at VCU on Saturday.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

The fact remains that people need to be responsible for making sure that their laptop is usable for themselves or whoever's using it before they show up to the tournament. You can't arrive and cause a huge delay because you only have OpenOffice and you don't know how to use it.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum