ANNOUNCEMENT: Iowa Igloo Tournament Jan. 23

Old college threads.
mountmercyqb
Kimahri

ANNOUNCEMENT: Iowa Igloo Tournament Jan. 23

Post by mountmercyqb »

Mount Mercy College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa will be hosting a college tournament Saturday, Jan. 23 with the NAQT question packet IS-92, slightly harder than the Tartan Tussle at Macalester College. Tournament is open to any college team wishing to attend, and entrance fee is $90, with discounts of $15 per experienced moderator, $10 per functioning buzzer set and $5 off for every 100 miles driven to Cedar Rapids as judged by Google Maps. This is the first Iowa Igloo, so we hope to see you all there!

-Bob Jameson

Please direct all emails with questions, queries and concerns to [email protected]
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Iowa Igloo Tournament Jan. 23

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

If you were to change the source of questions, I think you would be able to convince Missouri to attend.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I admit to being pretty ignorant about the upcoming semester's tournament schedule. Is there anything that these folks could mirror (a somewhat delayed hosting of Winter is all I can think of right now)?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I agree with Charlie. Although this tournament is relatively close to us, I can't really justify recommending our team attend an IS event...even our younger guys. Those questions will hardly help make our players better. If you find a better question option, we would be much more likely to attend.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

I hear Penn Bowl is right around this time
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:I hear Penn Bowl is right around this time
Isn't it the 31st this year? I mean, I guess it would be nice if the set were done a week early, but it's packet-sub. And, with three point five outstanding FIST packets right now--I'm going to say that we can't rely on Penn Bowl submissions to be any different.
Andrew Watkins
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:I hear Penn Bowl is right around this time
Isn't it the 31st this year?
Yes, it is- which is why our scheduling committee directed this event to the open weekend, to avoid past instances of unfortunate conflict.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

If this were to become a Penn Bowl mirror on January 30, I can be certain of at least one team from Notre Dame coming, and possibly two.
However, if this remains an IS-set, I can be equally sure that no teams from Notre Dame will attend.

Edit: Well, apparently Northwestern is going to be the Midwestern mirror of Penn Bowl. So I don't know what a good set to mirror would be. However, IS-sets are far too easy for collegiate tournaments.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15