Roanoke College Fall Invitational Quiz Bowl Tournament

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
aecsexton
Kimahri

Roanoke College Fall Invitational Quiz Bowl Tournament

Post by aecsexton »

The Roanoke College Quiz Bowl team will be hosting a free high school invitational tournament on Saturday, November 14th on our campus in Salem, VA. The tournament will use NAQT questions and the top team(s) will qualify for the NAQT National HS Tournament. We will be using question set IS-88.

The tournament will be held in West Hall (the Old Roanoke County Courthouse) on the corner of Main St. and College Ave. in order to better facilitate guests finding their way around campus. Registration will begin at 8:30 AM with the tournament beginning at 9:00 AM. There will be a break for lunch, and there are many options within walking distance of the tournament. We ask that you please register your team(s) by Thursday, Nov. 12. Also, while the tournament is free, we are asking the teams to bring a buzzer system.

We hope that you will be able to attend and compete for both bragging rights and a bid for the NAQT national tournament. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Last edited by aecsexton on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Adam E. Cody Sexton
President, Roanoke College Quiz Bowl
Madoc
Lulu

Re: Roanoke College Fall Invitational Quiz Bowl Tournament

Post by Madoc »

I'm hoping to see plenty of local teams stop by for this. Who can argue with free quizbowl? :grin:
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014
aecsexton
Kimahri

Post by aecsexton »

HHS_Charlie wrote:I'm hoping to see plenty of local teams stop by for this. Who can argue with free quizbowl? :grin:

Thanks for the great plug. We thought free sounded nice, too.
-Adam E. Cody Sexton
President, Roanoke College Quiz Bowl
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

Can you post a field update or any additional information about the tournament before Saturday? We'd hate to show up and be the only team in attendance. :neutral:
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

HHS_Charlie wrote:Can you post a field update or any additional information about the tournament before Saturday? We'd hate to show up and be the only team in attendance. :neutral:
I think your coach received an e-mail from Adam about the tournament with a roster of teams. As of right now, I think there are 7 teams that have registered, and they are all pretty solid teams from SW:

Blacksburg (1)
Cave Spring (2)
Eastern Montgomery (1)
Glenvar (1)
Honaker (1)
Salem (1)

I'm still trying to see if I can get a couple more teams to come this weekend but I've been having trouble getting in touch with my usual contacts at Patrick Henry and North Cross (Bassett has Districts this weekend). I'm pretty sure we'll bring another team as our numbers seem to be fluctuating. I'm just happy to see Glenvar get a team on board and looking forward to seeing how well they do this weekend.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

kamikaze wrote:The answer to my question(s)
Alright, that looks like a decent turnout. Bringing in a couple more teams would be nice. I know that Bluefield (WV) brought a team to EQUINE last year (I think), so if anyone could get in contact with them, they may be interested. It's a pretty short jaunt to the Salem/Roanoke area from there.
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Congratulations to Blacksburg and Honaker as they finished first and second, respectively. Blacksburg finished undefeated on the day and after seeing their performance, has to be a great contender in AA this year. Cave Spring A finished 3rd with Salem right behind in 4th. Given the close records and scores of some of the matches today, I have to say there's a lot of parity in the district. Eastern Montgomery came within one or two questions of beating some key contenders today. It'll be interesting when VHSL play starts.

Glenvar was a no-show. Not sure what happened there.

The tournament was small but ran pretty efficiently. Very nicely done. Good moderators and the IS-88 set was a pretty good packet. I can't complain.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

kamikaze wrote:Eastern Montgomery came within one or two questions of beating some key contenders today. It'll be interesting when VHSL play starts.
If the Hinshelwood twins are anything like their brother, Eastern Montgomery should be in for a good year in Region C..
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Stats can be found here: stats
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

Congratulations to Blacksburg and Karl from Salem, who must have really turned the heat up after the match against us. I'm glad we were able to stand (virtually) toe-to-toe with Blacksburg and were able to come out of the slump that he had been in for about three consecutive matches that culminated with a loss against Cave Spring B. As Mr. Powers said, VHSL play this year will be interesting. The Hinshelwood twins make quite a tandem, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them at the state tournament this year. It was also good to see Matt Beeken again.

Edit: Beaten to the punch on stats.
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014