Announcement: Delta Burke (CC) Invitational (11/13-14/09)

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Announcement: Delta Burke (CC) Invitational (11/13-14/09)

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I just wanted to claim the weekend of the 13th and 14th of November, 2009, for the 12th (or so) annual Delta Burke CC tournament. Like last year, this tournament will be mirror-able free to any CC outside of Florida that wants to host it; mirrors for other types of field could be available for standard mirroring rates, but please check out past iterations to see the questions. This tournament is specifically aimed at a freshman-sophomore field in which very few players have more than one full year of QB experience at any level.

I've gotten a late start on writing and will likely be interested in freelance questions/packets written to the appropriate level (which, given our field, is likely easier than most of you are used to writing toward). Cash money will be paid to those who write; history and science in particular are desired, though I'll take whatever. Drop me a line if you're interested: cborglum at valenciacc dot edu.
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: Announcement: Delta Burke (CC) Invitational (11/11-12/09)

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:I just wanted to claim the weekend of the 11-12th of November, 2009, for the 12th (or so)
I am going to assume that since that is a wednesday and thursday you mean the 14th. also, this has been added to the map.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: Announcement: Delta Burke (CC) Invitational (11/13-14/09)

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

What, are you on the schedule at Friendly's on Wednesdays and Thursdays? Can't you trade shifts?

Okay, seriously, thanks, George!

PS--Billy also pointed this out to me a long time ago, but I wasn't near a computer, and like Leonard Shelby in "Memento," I have to write notes or tattoo things on my body to remember them more than 90 seconds later.
Chris Borglum
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

ValenciaQBowl wrote: like Leonard Shelby in "Memento," I have to write notes or tattoo things on my body to remember them more than 90 seconds later.
Clearly your quizbowl ability can only be explained by your tattoo artist being that one amazing calligrapher that comes up in Tamerlane tossups.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

You honor me, sir.
Chris Borglum
CaseRAR
Lulu

Post by CaseRAR »

Is there anyway that we can see a field update?
Casey Lowery,
Northeast Alabama Community College
Brindlee Mountain High School '08
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Why, yes! Thanks for the reminder, Casey:

UPDATED 11/9
Valencia (3)
Central Florida CC (2)
Santa Fe
Pasco-Hernando (2)
State College of Florida (2) (Dude, it’s what used to be Manatee CC!)
Northeast Alabama (2)
Case Western Reserve (yeah, that one!)
Dalton State
Indian River
Gulf Coast (2)
North Florida (2)
Seminole
Chipola (2)
FCCJ
St. Pete
Lake Sumter (2)
Broward (2)
South Georgia College
Northwest Florida State College (aka Okaloosa-Walton CC)
Hardee HS (2)
South Florida CC

That's 33 teams. We'll probably do three brackets of 11, and then after an 11-game RR (with one bye), take the top two in each bracket plus two wildcards for a three-round, single-elim playoff. Any teams not making the playoff but wanting to play the questions would have rooms and readers available, but those who want to start making long drives back would be free to do so.
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Borglum
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

Dang the field looks nice, I'm seriously going to attempt to make it to this next year even if I have to pay my own travel.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Tie a skateboard to the back of NE Alabama's van and get down here, and we'll find a place for you to crash. And I'll let you play for free!

On the other hand, you do know it's being mirrored in Jasper, right?
Chris Borglum
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Tie a skateboard to the back of NE Alabama's van and get down here, and we'll find a place for you to crash. And I'll let you play for free!

On the other hand, you do know it's being mirrored in Jasper, right?
Yeah I do know Bobo is mirroring it, but I'm not playing this semester in ACBL. I'm saving a semester of eligibility for my 3rd year at Snead. However if the finding me a place to crash is offered next year and no one mirrors it I may seriously take you up on that.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

Is there going to be any protection offered to us little community college teams against Case Western? Perhaps in the form of them only being freshman and sophomores?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Protection??? Your protection, Mr. Hewett, is your preparation! Go read some more packets! You should know better than to be afraid of four-year schools!

But really, yes, it is a novice team.
Chris Borglum
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:Is there going to be any protection offered to us little community college teams against Case Western? Perhaps in the form of them only being freshman and sophomores?
I know that two of the guys going with the Case team are freshmen. Not sure of the others, however.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, VCU is interested in mirroring this as a general collegiate novice tournament on November 21. We would want to use the following eligibility rules:

1) Only freshman and sophomores are allowed to play.
2) Freshman and sophomores who VCU feels are not "novices" will also be disallowed from playing.
3) BUT BUT MY GRAD STUDENT IS ACTUALLY A NOVICE BECAUSE--shut up. You can't play.

If Borglum & co are willing, I'd like to find out if clubs are willing to attend on such short notice. This is the only date on which such a tournament really works for our region, and I haven't heard of anyone else being interested in hosting it.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

S'okay by me! And I think those are good eligibility rules. Presumably some of the college freshmen in that region who have six years of QB experience would scoff--scoff, I tell you!--at some of the bonuses and such, so maybe they could staff. Or just live with their 26 ppb average! In any case, I'm sure y'all can determine who will enjoy the set and who won't.

Matt, drop me an e-mail and I'll lay out my schedule of extortionate mirroring fees.
Chris Borglum
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:Is there going to be any protection offered to us little community college teams against Case Western? Perhaps in the form of them only being freshman and sophomores?
The thought that anyone would want protection from us gave me a good little chuckle.

But just so everyone is aware, the idea behind us bringing a team to this tournament was not to beat up on the "little community college teams" as you put it. The idea was to bring a team composed of, along with myself, our freshmen and sophomore members, none of whom had any experience with TU/B in high school. I think this tournament would be a great introduction to these players due to its low difficulty, and since there was no mirror site within feasible driving distance I decided it would be nice to splurge and take a mini-vacation down to sunny Orlando. I told Mr. Borglum up front that I was personally not a novice (although I am by no means a great player), and he generously told me that it would still be alright to show up and compete. If it was decided that we would be ineligible for any sort of accolades due to me not being a novice then I would be completely fine with that. Again, the idea is to have a good time playing on some pretty solid novice questions, not to go and beat up on a bunch of CC teams because we're too shitty to win up here.

With that said, right now I am the only one from my team that can attend for sure. No plane tickets have been bought yet, so if there are no novices on our team that show any serious interest in going then I will definately cancel our plans to go (unless Mr. Borglum doesn't mind me playing solo).
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Your playing solo is fine, Steven. I think Ethan was being facetious, or at least I hope so. We'll be happy to have you, but your pulling out won't hurt, either. Fortunately I have enough players that I can manipulate my number of teams to fit what's best for bracketing, usually even up to the start of the tournament.
Chris Borglum
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Yes that was just my ill-fated attempt at trying to make a joke while asking Borglum whether or not Case was going to be a Novice team.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Field updated and tournament structure proposed upthread.
Chris Borglum
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Damn that's a bunch of teams. I think Mr. Scott said Bobo was having 17 teams with a possible spoiler team to even it out with 2 brackets of 9, even a team from Texas. Although I won't be playing on Snead's team I got news from Mr. Scott I may be playing on a Spoiler Team!! :party:
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Yeah, I heard that Lamar CC from Texas would be going to Bevill. If you encounter them and/or their coach, encourage them to contact me about working to entice other CCs in Texas to get involved with the game. If they have any kind of state activities structure, especially a name or office I could contact, I'd love to hear about it.
Chris Borglum
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Yeah, I heard that Lamar CC from Texas would be going to Bevill. If you encounter them and/or their coach, encourage them to contact me about working to entice other CCs in Texas to get involved with the game. If they have any kind of state activities structure, especially a name or office I could contact, I'd love to hear about it.
Will do
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

There is now 1 hour and 24 minutes until the this starts. To ease my impatience a teammate and i are going to go play hydro thunder (circa 1996).
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:There is now 1 hour and 24 minutes until the this starts. To ease my impatience a teammate and i are going to go play hydro thunder (circa 1996).
This game is more Circa 1999. It was a (pretty good) release title for the Dreamcast.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

I would like to thank Chris Borglum for running this tournament and every reader, scorekeeper, and anyone else involved with making this tournament go off without a hitch. As to be expected, Valencia provided the tournaments with nothing but excellent readers. The questions were all very good and excluding one bonus that slipped by the editors, there were no problems with questions (that I know of). I would also like to thank Florida Institute of Technology for supplying the sweet ass gift cards. The final came down to us (Chipola Blue) annd Valencia Red, with the final score being 330-220.

Final Standings:
1. Chipola Blue
2. Valencia Red
#Northeast Alabama CC
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Thanks to Ethan for getting early results up while I was out catching up on the college football world.

Indeed, Chipola Blue beat Valencia Red 330-220 in the final; if I recall, the match was within ten points through toss-up 15, so it was an exciting finale. Valencia won another tight match against NE Alabama to get to the finals, and Chipola beat Case Western in the semis.

I'll post stats later today, though I have no web hosting powers--I reckon I'll just put them up as attachments. Being technologically backward, if someone has a better way, I'd be appreciative of hearing it.

Meantime, I'll just note that only Chipola Blue crested 20 ppb, and barely, with 20.07, though Valencia Red was close at 19.35. NE Bama (17.30) an Case (15.95) were the only other teams over 15. Nine other teams were over 10, leaving 20 teams with less than 10 ppb. I point this out just to show the wide range of experience and ability among our participants, with, unfortunately, the great majority of teams finding this set a tremendous challenge.

I look forward to seeing stats from the Wash U mirror and then later from VCU and Washington so we can all compare how the questions play at the different sites.

Thanks to all the teams that came to play and to all of the great staff who made our tournament run, and congrats to Chipola on its back-to-back wins (over us! dammit!).
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Okay--so I tried to upload the SQBS file, but I got a message saying the upload "was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector." "Attack vector" is a pretty cool phrase.

Anyway, does someone want to host the stats for me? Really, I have no idea how to do that.
Chris Borglum
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Okay--so I tried to upload the SQBS file, but I got a message saying the upload "was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector." "Attack vector" is a pretty cool phrase.

Anyway, does someone want to host the stats for me? Really, I have no idea how to do that.
Hey Chris, have you tried http://results.scobo.net/ yet?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

Team stats for the Delta Burke can be found here: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Stan Young, Chipola College
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Hey Chris, have you tried http://results.scobo.net/ yet
Nope, but Stan has! Thanks, Stan.
Chris Borglum
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

sychipola wrote:Team stats for the Delta Burke can be found here: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Apparently only the team standings have been uploaded. The rest of the links on the page don't work.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

mhayes wrote:
sychipola wrote:Team stats for the Delta Burke can be found here: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Apparently only the team standings have been uploaded. The rest of the links on the page don't work.
That's probably why he said "team stats".
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

Chris only sent me the team stats, but hopefully we will get the full stats posted later today.
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

All the links to the stats should work now: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

They all appear to work except the individual stats. It comes up with an error if I click on the players name
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Crap--I must've neglected to send Stan the "Individual Detail" file. I'm hitting the sack soon (I'm old), so I'll get it from my work laptop tomorrow. I'm very appreciative of Stan's helping me, as this whole abacus with a picture screen machine thing confuses me.
Chris Borglum
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

Journey to the Planets wrote:That's probably why he said "team stats".
My mistake. But thanks anyway for that clarification...
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

Yeah, the only one I didn't have was the individual detail report, but I'll get it posted when Chris sends it to me tomorrow.
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

OK one more time... individual player detail should work now : http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Just wanted to say thanks to Chris for letting me and Nick come down to play. We both had a great time. The questions were, for the most part, pretty solid IMO, and despite the fact that rounds took about 45 minutes to play for whatever reason, I had no problems with the logistics of the tournament. I actually kind of liked the fact that the tournament was split up into two days - it was an interesting variation that I'd never experienced before.

Also, congrats to Chipola on their victory. I was pretty impressed with both them and Valencia. I'd love to play aginst each of them again with a full squad some, but this is obviously unlikely to happen (barring another long-distance tournament trip to Florida, which is not necessarily out of the question).

Also, the gift card as a scoring prize was a pleasant surprise. A special thanks to whomever provided that.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I don't think the rounds could've taken 45 minutes, with the exception of the one in which we had two wrong teams show up, which, after being discovered partway through, ended up delaying things a bit. On Saturday, for example, we started Round 7 at about 9:05, and we finished Round 11 at around 12:30, which means it took 210 minutes or so for five rounds, or about 42 minutes each, including between-round time.

Having said that, we've definitely slowed down from the 2003-2007 era when we could nearly guarantee knocking out a round every half hour, but this is due to the moving away of some of the core of former players who have been my best readers, coupled with the expanding size of the field, leading me to need to draft less-experienced (and usually fast) readers.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I was thrilled to have folks from Ohio and Alabama in the field!
Chris Borglum
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Will this set be posted online? It might make decent practice material for our HS team, so it'd be nice to know.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

One of the teams involved in the mess up was my Gold Team. They were in the right room, but I kept thinking there should have been three teams in the same room. My players could never explain to me why this wasn't the case. So, I'm assuming two teams showed up in the wrong room, which seems crazy to me.

Considering the fact that there were 33 teams in the field and the tournament was held in two buildings, I was extremely impressed with the efficiency of the tournament. With that many readers, it is unrealistic to expect everyone to finish each round at the same time, so of course there are some delays. But, Chris moves a tournament along as well as anyone I've seen and it is still one of our favorites.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

RyuAqua wrote:Will this set be posted online? It might make decent practice material for our HS team, so it'd be nice to know.
there is a mirror of this at VCU this weekend
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
RyuAqua wrote:Will this set be posted online? It might make decent practice material for our HS team, so it'd be nice to know.
there is a mirror of this at VCU this weekend
Ah. Well....there it is!
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

And then another mirror at U. Washington on December 5, so it's going to be a while. But I do hope it will provide good practice material, even for a good HS team, as the tosses at least should be challenging in their early stages.
Chris Borglum
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Stats from the Bevill Mirror
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Stats from the Bevill Mirror
Broken link is broken...
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009