Weekend of Quizbowl at Clemson?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Nick
Wakka

Weekend of Quizbowl at Clemson?

Post by Nick »

The Clemson University Quizbowl Team would like to announce/discuss our interest in hosting the 2010 iteration of the Weekend of Quizbowl.

Our initial thoughts for the events for this tournament are, as with previous versions, a Saturday tournament and Sunday tournament as well as a possible side event on Saturday night. We were thinking of using the UCSD “Warm-Up Set” for Saturday (hopefully it’ll be ready) and the 2010 SCT Division II set (with timers) for Sunday. Maybe Dan Donohue’s Lit Singles tourney for Saturday night?(although something totally fresh would be preferable). We are aware that the Div II questions are already planned to be used at the Mid-Atlantic and Mid-West Championships, but we are open to suggestions.

This announcement is initially intended as a discussion because we at Clemson feel strongly that this tournament will only exist if there is sufficient demand. We would like to have some expression of interest and/or commitment well in advance in order to properly prepare for the event. Because of this, we have decided we will only proceed with the event if we can get a solid commitment from at least 10 teams in the next month and a half or so. In addition, however, our staff is limited. We know that in order to provide the best quizbowl experience for the attending teams, we would need experienced and well-versed moderators. At this time, we only feel confident enough to properly support a 16-team field. We will be providing a moderator discount to interested teams; however, we hope that and we encourage any and all members of the quizbowl community to come out and staff. If necessary, you can contact me to discuss Clemson possibly helping defray a moderator’s cost of lodging and travel. As we get more moderators, we will expand the field as we become able.

We are aiming for this tournament to be comprised exclusively of skilled and/or top-level teams who intend to compete in some form on the national scene. In order to get the intended field, we will only be accepting registration from teams that have qualified for either the PACE NSC or the NAQT HSNCT. There will not be a “novice” or “un-qualified” bracket at this tournament.

The date of this tournament is perhaps one of the most important points to be discussed. The dates up for consideration at this point are as follows: 2/27, 3/6, 3/20, 3/27, 4/3, and 4/24. (we are strongly leaning towards one of the three dates in March, probably the 6th)

To be frank, we are looking to the community for help on this. As high school players, all of our team members competed at at least one of the two Weekends of Quizbowl, and it was a very enjoyable and highly-competitive experience. We are hoping to provide a similar experience to this year’s batch of players.

If you'd like to contact us via email, you can do so at [email protected] or [email protected].

Let us know what you think!
Nick
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Re: Weekend of Quizbowl at Clemson?

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Nick wrote:Our initial thoughts for the events for this tournament are, as with previous versions, a Saturday tournament and Sunday tournament as well as a possible side event on Saturday night. We were thinking of using the UCSD “Warm-Up Set” for Saturday (hopefully it’ll be ready) and the 2010 SCT Division II set (with timers) for Sunday. Maybe Dan Donohue’s Lit Singles tourney for Saturday night?(although something totally fresh would be preferable). We are aware that the Div II questions are already planned to be used at the Mid-Atlantic and Mid-West Championships, but we are open to suggestions.
If you use the D2 SCT, you'll probably not get a lot of teams from the Mid-Atlantic, as VCU is using that set.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Other college sets in play around that time include MUT and T-Party, depending on the date you'd prefer.
Andrew Watkins
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I recommend MUT, which has been used at WoQ in the past to great success. Also, it'll be ready by 3/6, I believe!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

3/27 is the GATA Varsity State Competition, so you'd lose Georgia teams if you hosted it then.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Dorman is very interested. Email me if there's any way that I can be of assistance.
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Nick wrote: Maybe Dan Donohue’s Lit Singles tourney for Saturday night?(although something totally fresh would be preferable)
I'm game. Just let me know what weekend you pick, and I'll send you the questions (when they're ready on 12/19) for a small mirror fee. (Remember, any mirror money helps me get to NSC!)
Ukonvasara wrote:I recommend MUT, which has been used at WoQ in the past to great success. Also, it'll be ready by 3/6, I believe!
I played MUT last year. It's a super set. I would highly recommend it.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

LASA would be interested in coming to this. We had planned on attending WoQB on the weekend of 3/6, and now we're looking for a spring tournament since WoQB (at least the VA version) was canceled.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Chattahoochee would also be very interested in this, particularly for the NAQT questions and proximity to home.

In regard to your dates: 2/27, 3/6, 3/20, 3/27, 4/3, and 4/24, the best choices for most teams in GA (which would likely send quite a few teams) would be 3/6 and 4/24. There are other important tournaments (the GATA JV and Varsity State Championships) on 2 of the weekends y'all chose, and Spring Break begins 4/3 for many metro-ATL schools.

Let us know whatever you decide and we will make it a priority to be there if possible. We would likely try to send 2 teams.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
KoH
Lulu

Post by KoH »

If this happens, Southside will definitely bring a team.
Ming Lin
Southside High School 2010
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

3/6 would probably be best. It would be great if this could happen; I think I could nag my teammates into making the trip.

I think the ineligibility of Mid-Atlantic teams is a bigger factor than you realize. If you want this to be a real national event, you have to convince teams like Gov and GDS to make the trip, and a one-day event just isn't worth it. T-Party would be an interesting experiment for an elite field.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Post by Andrew's a Freshman »

Norcross plans to hold our own tournament on March 6th (a move from the original date of February 13th). I'd imagine there to a be a lot of crossover there.

For ourselves to be eligible we would have to qualify for a national event before the date, which we hope to do sometime before March. We would have more interest in one of the April dates as it would break the lapse between the state tournament and whichever national we will have hypothetically qualified for.
Norcross High School '11
Northwestern University '15
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Post by Nuclear Densometer Test »

I would love for this to happen.

And also, i agree with the suggestion of using MUT if possible
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Fun fact: The "l" comes before the "g" in my last name.
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

Central Gwinnett is definitely interested in participating in this event. As for the date, I would personally prefer April 24, as there are currently no tournaments near Georgia scheduled in April (as far as I know, anyway.) The Georgia Varsity State tournament is March 26-27, so I would definitely avoid that weekend if you hope to get any teams from Georgia.

Cathy Hirsch
Coach
Central Gwinnett H.S.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

48 hours in Clemson, SC???!!!?!?!?! Lord have mercy, Jesus! :-)

Since I KNOW of the high quality of personages at Klempsun who would be leading this endeavor, I would be forced to forgo my natural inclination to AVOID FauxTigerVille and show up with a few of my Crackers, perhaps TWO packets!

Could we pitch a tent or two alongside US76?

Damnation, academics at Klempsun. What HAS the world come to?
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Ed McMahon
Lulu
Location: Hollywood Hills, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California

Post by Ed McMahon »

HIYO!
Ed McMahon, 1923-2009
Lowell, '39
Boston University/Catholic, '47
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

This is kind of far for the DC / Maryland / VA teams that made up the majority of WoQ's fields the past two years, but some Weekend of Quizbowl is better than no Weekend of Quizbowl. Whether GDS would be interested in going / could go is unknown, but regardless, I heartily endorse this event or product.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Journey to the Planets wrote:3/6 would probably be best.
Norcross is mirroring Prison Bowl on that date in Georgia.
Journey to the Planets wrote:If you want this to be a real national event, you have to convince teams like Gov and GDS to make the trip, and a one-day event just isn't worth it. T-Party would be an interesting experiment for an elite field.
The former is certainly true. As for the latter, Southside would prefer if the set used were not T-Party, as we have submitted a bid to Andy Watkins (which will hopefully be accepted) to mirror T-Party in collaboration with Furman University on an earlier date, either 2/13 or 2/27.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Ben Cole wrote:
Journey to the Planets wrote:3/6 would probably be best.
Norcross is mirroring Prison Bowl on that date in Georgia.
Journey to the Planets wrote:If you want this to be a real national event, you have to convince teams like Gov and GDS to make the trip, and a one-day event just isn't worth it. T-Party would be an interesting experiment for an elite field.
The former is certainly true. As for the latter, Southside would prefer if the set used were not T-Party, as we have submitted a bid to Andy Watkins (which will hopefully be accepted) to mirror T-Party in collaboration with Furman University on an earlier date, either 2/13 or 2/27.
Yeah, MUT would work just as well.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

Much as we would have liked to attend this, we have committed to Prison Bowl in NYC, which is going to be our only out-of-state trip until NSC and HSNCT. Good luck with this though - I hope you guys are able to pull it off.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX